Team-BHP - Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/154312-triumph-street-triple-blue-lightning-comes-home.html)

Patience is a virtue they say, well I waited for 2.5 years to get my hands on this beautiful machine. Regrets? Yes, some. But none of them have to do with the bike. Its a little over a month old now and I have clocked over 1k kms on it and got the first servicing done. Let me detail the journey and experience of getting her into my life.

All started just like anyone else at Auto Expo 2012 when I saw all the Triumph beauties, with killer price tags to match. I had met (the then) CEO and even had a gentleman's agreement to get the first Daytona/Speed thats delivered in Maharashtra.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-327309_10150473983325876_1916109598_o.jpg

Years passed and nothing materialised, with some odd news bits here and there (about the CEO leaving). Hopes were reignited when Triumph announced their launch on social media outlets on Facebook/Twitter.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-screen-shot-20140813-12.46.48-pm.png

Super excited, I frantically started gathering all the information that I could on who will be the Triumph dealer in Bombay, saw a post by Speedy on TBHP mentioning that it will be Shaman Motors, got in touch with the guy I knew at the Vashi showroom, he introduced me to Vivek Mallya who I conversed with and met. I paid the Rs 1 lakh cheque in late Dec 2013 and was informed that I was the first booking for a Street Triple in Mumbai.

This is when things started to go sideways for me, I wanted to get the bike registered in Silvassa (my hometown, where my parents live). This was communicated to Vivek at the time of booking, he had told me that he is unclear on the exact costs, RTO, loan etc. at that time and will help me get it done. The weeks kept on rolling by, a price cut was announced. Bike deliveries had started in Bangalore and other South India dealerships. Instead of getting into the specifics of what happened during this time let me just outline the bullet points for posterity.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-screen-shot-20140813-1.15.37-pm.png

I am really sorry for this big rant, I have never suffered so much on any purchase I've made in my life. Forget about something as premium as a 8lakh plus bike. I've had better service at roadside mechanics. I was extremely fair and patient. But have absolutely no respect for Vivek Mallya and the owners of Shaman Triumph, many people did come to their defence. But the only thing I would say is, as-long as things are going their way there would be no problems. I went through a lot of emotional turmoil over the 7 months that I waited to get the bike in my hands. Its an amazing bond that us bikers have, and if fellow bikers would not have offered me help/support/advice I doubt I would have had the Street Triple in my garage. I am only slowly starting to get my faith back in Triumph India (was promised that my feedback would be acted upon, but no response yet).

**END RANT** :D

Moving on, like I mentioned earlier. Shaman people refused to just deliver me the packed bike in the crate (which looks like this)

Name:  photo 2.PNG
Views: 19293
Size:  308.8 KB

Name:  photo 1.PNG
Views: 19261
Size:  346.3 KB
(pics from another owner Triumph Owners Group on FB)

So I had to go the Shaman godown and get the transport crate and get it shipped to my packers and movers. I somehow managed to get the bike packed and safely delivered to Delhi without any nicks. This is what it looked like.

Name:  photo.png
Views: 19405
Size:  555.4 KB

Before sending it to Delhi I was able to ride it around a little bit in Bombay, and have to say the bike is extremely manageable in the crazy Mumbai streets and traffic jams. I was taking it easy since it was still under the running in period. Also was trying to get used to how it handled and behaved under braking on concrete roads (first bike I rode with ABS)

Name:  photo 1.png
Views: 19454
Size:  580.6 KB
(notice the Saree Guard)

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-10406568_10152059675245876_4568399675755954443_n.jpg
This is just after I got it from the godown

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-10372976_10152061657835876_5584553764821504751_o.jpg
Also took it for a little ride to Uran beach

The bike developed a problem within days of arriving here in Delhi when its battery died overnight. I was riding the bike around on the previous day, and it took them a while to come and fix the issue. They send service people to collect the battery, charged it and sent them back to replace it. The entire timeframe from issue reported to issue resolved was 5 days.

Since then the bike has gone for its first service (did it at 530km and about 30 days old).

Name:  photo 1 1.png
Views: 18517
Size:  467.7 KB
Yummy new oil for the Striple, If I remember it was 3.2 or 4.2 lts.

Name:  photo 2 1.png
Views: 18367
Size:  423.3 KB
Computer diag testing for the bike if everything is within parameters.

The first service cost about 6.4k INR. And the dealership people here at Bird Automative were amazing. Mr Omkar and team did an exceptional job, and the attention to detail which the paid was amazing. They even helped me install number plates on the bike by calling the 'rivet' number plate guy. Also met some other owners here and had a great afternoon at the service centre in Gurgaon.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-10500539_10152106201170876_903148082732456074_n.png
All ready for the open road (notice no ugly saree guard)

I've been riding it around as often as I can here in Delhi. Although the rains don't come too often, the heat and weather in general makes it almost impossible to take out. And for some reason it always ends up raining after I get it washed.

Name:  10314656_10152132903675876_4327086363741639312_n.png
Views: 18564
Size:  572.1 KB

Now let me talk about the good and the bad (so far). And to get things into context I've owned/ridden a lot of bikes in my lifetime, everything from exotic italian race replicas to Japanese sport tourers with a bunch of odd nakeds in between.

Good -

Bad -

Well thats all from me for now, will keep this thread updated when I get the bike serviced and keep adding on things to it. All in all, quite happy with the bike itself. The fit and finish feels great. I am looking forward to taking it to the track and putting some good miles on this thing. Feel free to ask questions or anything about the bike and I'll do my best to answer them.

Name:  10564994_10152132577610876_2020978741691674615_n.png
Views: 17989
Size:  896.8 KB
For the ride.

Congratulations Quickdraw. I used to see you active in Blackberry threads way back ( which iam still a fan of) and now Triumph:)

As you have repeated more than once, Street Tripple sounds fantastic and amazing and I think the tune is also shared by Tiger 800XC because if i can faintly recall both sound quite similar as its same engine/specs (?)

When you posted the first picture, i thought its a red but, you got the blue. Both colors look outstanding and love that blue ( made popular by Fiesta S:D and now Octavia)

Sorry to hear about the problems you went through the dealership. Any sane guy would have given up on the bike long back

Do share better quality pics of the bike ( most of them are mobile pics, i assume)

Cheer & Enjoy the Ride !!!

Congrats on the Striple Quickdraw, wishing you many happy miles on her.

Regarding the clutch lever, what do you mean by softest setting? if you mean the setting on the lever then the lever settings 1-4 are for different fist/finger sizes, it has nothing to do with the clutch adjustment. What I have noticed it that the clutch does get progressively softer with usage and nowadays, I don't find it heavy at all.

Also, with respect to the mirrors, I found that if you rotate the assembly , you can get a good setting, with the mirrors becoming very useful, with good spread. Do try it out, or ask your dealer to set it for you.

All the best!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3504703)
Congratulations Quickdraw. I used to see you active in Blackberry threads way back ( which iam still a fan of) and now Triumph:)

As you have repeated more than once, Street Tripple sounds fantastic and amazing and I think the tune is also shared by Tiger 800XC because if i can faintly recall both sound quite similar as its same engine/specs (?)

When you posted the first picture, i thought its a red but, you got the blue. Both colors look outstanding and love that blue ( made popular by Fiesta S:D and now Octavia)

Sorry to hear about the problems you went through the dealership. Any sane guy would have given up on the bike long back

Do share better quality pics of the bike ( most of them are mobile pics, i assume)

Cheer & Enjoy the Ride !!!

Ah yes, I know that I don't post that often here anymore. But glad to contribute to the community when I can.

That red bike is a Daytona, its a pic taken at 2012 AutoExpo when Triumph announced their arrival.

Cannot share good quality pics of the bike because the editor is screwing up jpgs and PNG's at around 600px already are around 1mb. Will try uploading some more soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hifisharu (Post 3504730)
Congrats on the Striple Quickdraw, wishing you many happy miles on her.

Regarding the clutch lever, what do you mean by softest setting? if you mean the setting on the lever then the lever settings 1-4 are for different fist/finger sizes, it has nothing to do with the clutch adjustment. What I have noticed it that the clutch does get progressively softer with usage and nowadays, I don't find it heavy at all.

Also, with respect to the mirrors, I found that if you rotate the assembly , you can get a good setting, with the mirrors becoming very useful, with good spread. Do try it out, or ask your dealer to set it for you.

All the best!!

Thank you! Yes, I was talking about the length adjuster (basically the shorter the distance the easier it should be). My left mirror doesn't move for some reason. But all in all the mirrors are pretty terrible. Have tried doing all the adjustments on it.

By mirror adjustment, I meant move the assembly, you'll have to loosen two screws. You can do it on your own, you'll need the correct size Allen key

Super colour and cool bike, looks awesome.
Many congratulation, wish you many many miles of absolute riding pleasure on the ST.
After all those ordeals finally you have got the bike. I was expecting bit more from Triumph on this issue.
Small request, Could we have some more pictures of the ST.

Ride safe!!

Congratulations quickdraw on your purchase, Striple is an awesome bike to ride and own, very very addictive.

Somehow we share almost the same story around delivery and I can understand how frustrating and emotionally painful the whole experience would have been. :deadhorse

Congrats on the bike Arya!! Looks absolutely smashing in that gorgeous blue.

OT: bugger you are in Delhi. Meet up!

Rohan

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Congratulations quickdraw. Absolutely droolworthy bike. Would be great if you could pen a few lines on the specifications, ride, and the rest.
One of my friends is planning to get the same and I have shared the link with him.

Congrats on the Striple buy bro! Looks smoking hot in Blue. Wish you many happy miles with her.

One of the pics where the bike is covered in slush, it looks as if you are back from a Leh ride!! :D

Congrats buddy. The bike looks absolutely stunning. Can you share some more details on the specs of the ride?

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickdraw (Post 3504689)
I've been riding it around as often as I can here in Delhi. Although the rains don't come too often, the heat and weather in general makes it almost impossible to take out. And for some reason it always ends up raining after I get it washed.

hahaha, quickdraw, your review is short(a bit too short, I'm waiting for more pics) and nice.. and i do understand your wash-the-bike-just-now-and-heavens-open-up feeling. i think most of us are at the receiving end of Murphy law. same used to happen to me when i got my Pulsar 200. have a great ride and ride safe, ATGATT..!!

Congrats QD, you dont post too frequently these days but when you do its always big :D
Hats off to your patience, most people would have been turned off by the attitude of the sales centre.

Have fun and ride safe.

Congrats Quickie :D You are quicker now with the blue lightning in your arsenal now. Love the colour. Good you could think beyond the white

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickdraw (Post 3504689)
cant wait to take it to the track

You in Delhi? Which track do you plan to take it to? Is there a track that regular joes can ride on? I checked with the Buddhh people and they dont have the 1st clue.

Ride safe mate. Hope to see you ripping the Delhi streets sometime

Congrats mate ! The Street Triple is a wonderful and very practical big bike, apart from the low ground clearance, that is ! Nice color , I believe it's discontinued now for 2015 model year, just red , black and white.

Ride safe and keep updating the thread.