Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 6th November 2017, 13:22   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200

Came back from GSTrophy 2017 30th Oct, it was fun to learn what this BIG GS can do offroad! Here is a good report on all days including the finals on xbhp.com linking here for others interested. https://www.xbhp.com/enduro-qualifiers-bmw/

You can see me on many of the images, including my bike 1200 doing few of the obstacles. You can see on the first line on the flag off photos. My bike was MH31 EV 1200 with tag number 04. Good to see myself on number of other photos.

You can spot me photo number 9, third from left( directly infront of marshal), photo 14 - 3rd from left, obstacles 4 first photo.

Learned a lot, atleast now I know the basics and do understand what it takes to get these bike off the path and how then are going to respond, need to start practicing more to make it a way of riding!

-Pramod

PS: The complete TV coverage was on channel WION program clalled pitstop . You can see me there too ;-)

Last edited by pramods : 6th November 2017 at 13:32. Reason: TV coverage added, added tag to identifiy myself on photos
pramods is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 07:32   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Here is a good report on all days including the finals on xbhp.com linking here for others interested.
Nice event! The site has covered it properly as well. Good to see a manufacturer offer such sessions which teaches a lot of stuff, rather than simply just trying to rake in publicity by conducting breakfast rides around town.

There is a debate going on (currently and always) about the usability of such big machines off-road. After attending the event - what do you feel about taking the biggest of such motorcycles in such an offroading scenario? Would you have preferred a lighter machine instead?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th November 2017 at 07:34.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 09:01   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
... what do you feel about taking the biggest of such motorcycles in such an offroading scenario? Would you have preferred a lighter machine instead?
I would still take R1200GS, this is my "personal opinion". I am not into motocross, and would not be doing those technical offroad all days, but if a situation comes I would be able to take this bike to handle those "limited" offroad condition.
Irrespective of the weight these bikes can take everything "provided" you know what and how to do it.

This training was more about letting you know the basics and how to handle these big bike in those situations technically.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 11:29   #139
Senior - BHPian

Got this as a forward... Well written and hence wanted to share.

Quote:
Penned by VK Menon.

Long one. Please forgive...

After a couple of years on a Harley and the feet ahead of you in a delivering baby position, I finally found myself on a BMW GS1200 with my feet tucked below my butt over 200 kms.

The differences were stark. Both bikes are poles apart and behave exactly like their American and Deutchlandian antecedents. One is loud and fill of drama, moves forward with a lot of grunt and is marketed like godís own riding machines and the other is quiet, over-engineered and god wouldnít mind one.

My own experience was that the power delivery of the Harley thrilled your soul and it didnít hurt that all eyes were on you with that unmistakable swag. But on the road, you reach a point where you knew that you canít push the bike anymore. The power tapers off on the high note and at an emotional high, it was no longer possible to go any faster. The BMW, on the other hand - the power is instant and it just keeps challenging you to push it as far as you can and you back off as it was making you do things that you never knew you could. And there is that point of fear, beyond which you are no longer willing to risk life and limb.

The Harley seeps into your soul. Most of us have grown up on a Bullet, dreaming that one day we will ride a Harley. For the fortunate few who finally make it, it is a rewarding experience. Of course, these bikes with the customs and duty costs padded on them is overpriced like hell, but you only live once right!

One does not think much of a 9% or 10% interest on a bike loan and then the brotherhood kicks in. Thatís the fun part where you meet tons of people from all walks of life who are living their dream. But buying a Harley is only half the job. You gotta customize it and spend good large hard-earned money to get it into shape which ensures you have a bike that you are truly comfortable with. Leaving the chassis aside, everything else on the bike is up for customization and then it is only limited by your own imagination or lack of so called well-wishers who have their infinite knowledge of how to spend money. The unfortunate ending to that is when you want to upgrade or move on. Nobody gives you the value or even half the value for all the accessories you spend on the bike. That is discounted brutally and is truly a shameful practice.

Feet ahead, wind in your hair and the bike rumbling under your well cushioned torso. Honestly, that much joy is enough to live with. The electronics are not very clever. The bike does not have traction control and braking something that weighs over 300 kilos is scary. (Brakes that start fading due to heat after some 100 kms is even scary but thousands of Harleys continue to be sold every year). Riding on highways and stuck behind a clown in a car who refuses to give way to bright lights behind him Ė no worries. Just a blip of your wrist and the thundering sound of your aftermarket exhausts are enough for the seas to part and you can go by. Look into your mirror and you will see the clown and his entire clan sitting in the car clicking pictures of your gleaming steed as you roll by.

Crowds gather every time you stop and it does make you feel really good about the bike. And the associated benefits of the sudden spike of your perceived status as well as that of your family within the neighbourhood is crazy. While all this happening, you go and buy yourself a BMW. For one, there is no chrome. And then, there are no surfaces that you can wash down and polish.

And the way power is delivered, scares the shits out of you. But then, you brake and the bike stops without any drama. Slowly you learn to use the power better. Learn to balance the hands and feet over the controls and figure out that all the electronics actually works and designed by riders who actually rode these bikes and it all makes sense. Thank god for that as for the first 50 odd kms, you were wondering if you had made a very expensive mistake and what would be the reactions of your wife with whom you used a very weak argument to actually buy this bike. She loved you so let you have your way and the fact remains that she knows you better than you know yourself.

Slowly, you start enjoying the comfort, the throttle, the dampeners which can be set at different levels and the overall feel. How you can be at 140 without batting an eyelid and still feel like youíre in control. It is different and radically at that.

But hereís the thing. The debate is really not about which bike is better Ė Harleys or BMW as they are really not comparable. While one is an out and out cruiser made for the tarmac, the other is an adventure/ adventure tourer which is made for anywhere. These are two different categories which unfortunately end up competing with each other as many people would rather buy just one bike to do full justice due to availability of time and resources. Given a choice, I would love to have a great Harley (toss-up between a touring and a Softtail) and a BMW. But it will never happen as I have limited time and will only be able to do justice to one...
jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote