Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2017, 13:22   #136
BHPian

Re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200

Came back from GSTrophy 2017 30th Oct, it was fun to learn what this BIG GS can do offroad! Here is a good report on all days including the finals on xbhp.com linking here for others interested. https://www.xbhp.com/enduro-qualifiers-bmw/

You can see me on many of the images, including my bike 1200 doing few of the obstacles. You can see on the first line on the flag off photos. My bike was MH31 EV 1200 with tag number 04. Good to see myself on number of other photos.

You can spot me photo number 9, third from left( directly infront of marshal), photo 14 - 3rd from left, obstacles 4 first photo.

Learned a lot, atleast now I know the basics and do understand what it takes to get these bike off the path and how then are going to respond, need to start practicing more to make it a way of riding!

-Pramod

PS: The complete TV coverage was on channel WION program clalled pitstop . You can see me there too ;-)

Last edited by pramods : 6th November 2017 at 13:32. Reason: TV coverage added, added tag to identifiy myself on photos
pramods is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 07:32   #137
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Here is a good report on all days including the finals on xbhp.com linking here for others interested.
Nice event! The site has covered it properly as well. Good to see a manufacturer offer such sessions which teaches a lot of stuff, rather than simply just trying to rake in publicity by conducting breakfast rides around town.

There is a debate going on (currently and always) about the usability of such big machines off-road. After attending the event - what do you feel about taking the biggest of such motorcycles in such an offroading scenario? Would you have preferred a lighter machine instead?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th November 2017 at 07:34.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 09:01   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
... what do you feel about taking the biggest of such motorcycles in such an offroading scenario? Would you have preferred a lighter machine instead?
I would still take R1200GS, this is my "personal opinion". I am not into motocross, and would not be doing those technical offroad all days, but if a situation comes I would be able to take this bike to handle those "limited" offroad condition.
Irrespective of the weight these bikes can take everything "provided" you know what and how to do it.

This training was more about letting you know the basics and how to handle these big bike in those situations technically.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 11:29   #139
Senior - BHPian

Got this as a forward... Well written and hence wanted to share.

Quote:
Penned by VK Menon.

Long one. Please forgive...

After a couple of years on a Harley and the feet ahead of you in a delivering baby position, I finally found myself on a BMW GS1200 with my feet tucked below my butt over 200 kms.

The differences were stark. Both bikes are poles apart and behave exactly like their American and Deutchlandian antecedents. One is loud and fill of drama, moves forward with a lot of grunt and is marketed like god’s own riding machines and the other is quiet, over-engineered and god wouldn’t mind one.

My own experience was that the power delivery of the Harley thrilled your soul and it didn’t hurt that all eyes were on you with that unmistakable swag. But on the road, you reach a point where you knew that you can’t push the bike anymore. The power tapers off on the high note and at an emotional high, it was no longer possible to go any faster. The BMW, on the other hand - the power is instant and it just keeps challenging you to push it as far as you can and you back off as it was making you do things that you never knew you could. And there is that point of fear, beyond which you are no longer willing to risk life and limb.

The Harley seeps into your soul. Most of us have grown up on a Bullet, dreaming that one day we will ride a Harley. For the fortunate few who finally make it, it is a rewarding experience. Of course, these bikes with the customs and duty costs padded on them is overpriced like hell, but you only live once right!

One does not think much of a 9% or 10% interest on a bike loan and then the brotherhood kicks in. That’s the fun part where you meet tons of people from all walks of life who are living their dream. But buying a Harley is only half the job. You gotta customize it and spend good large hard-earned money to get it into shape which ensures you have a bike that you are truly comfortable with. Leaving the chassis aside, everything else on the bike is up for customization and then it is only limited by your own imagination or lack of so called well-wishers who have their infinite knowledge of how to spend money. The unfortunate ending to that is when you want to upgrade or move on. Nobody gives you the value or even half the value for all the accessories you spend on the bike. That is discounted brutally and is truly a shameful practice.

Feet ahead, wind in your hair and the bike rumbling under your well cushioned torso. Honestly, that much joy is enough to live with. The electronics are not very clever. The bike does not have traction control and braking something that weighs over 300 kilos is scary. (Brakes that start fading due to heat after some 100 kms is even scary but thousands of Harleys continue to be sold every year). Riding on highways and stuck behind a clown in a car who refuses to give way to bright lights behind him – no worries. Just a blip of your wrist and the thundering sound of your aftermarket exhausts are enough for the seas to part and you can go by. Look into your mirror and you will see the clown and his entire clan sitting in the car clicking pictures of your gleaming steed as you roll by.

Crowds gather every time you stop and it does make you feel really good about the bike. And the associated benefits of the sudden spike of your perceived status as well as that of your family within the neighbourhood is crazy. While all this happening, you go and buy yourself a BMW. For one, there is no chrome. And then, there are no surfaces that you can wash down and polish.

And the way power is delivered, scares the shits out of you. But then, you brake and the bike stops without any drama. Slowly you learn to use the power better. Learn to balance the hands and feet over the controls and figure out that all the electronics actually works and designed by riders who actually rode these bikes and it all makes sense. Thank god for that as for the first 50 odd kms, you were wondering if you had made a very expensive mistake and what would be the reactions of your wife with whom you used a very weak argument to actually buy this bike. She loved you so let you have your way and the fact remains that she knows you better than you know yourself.

Slowly, you start enjoying the comfort, the throttle, the dampeners which can be set at different levels and the overall feel. How you can be at 140 without batting an eyelid and still feel like you’re in control. It is different and radically at that.

But here’s the thing. The debate is really not about which bike is better – Harleys or BMW as they are really not comparable. While one is an out and out cruiser made for the tarmac, the other is an adventure/ adventure tourer which is made for anywhere. These are two different categories which unfortunately end up competing with each other as many people would rather buy just one bike to do full justice due to availability of time and resources. Given a choice, I would love to have a great Harley (toss-up between a touring and a Softtail) and a BMW. But it will never happen as I have limited time and will only be able to do justice to one...
jkdas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 09:41   #140
BHPian

It's been 3 years and the battery has given up, it's not holding a consistent 12+V over couple days, making starting the bike a no go. Have to recharge it for 3-4 hours and able to starts.
It time to change the battery, the problem is where to get a compatible battery and which one?

I was not able to get any AGM battery with 12V 14AH power for motorcycles,anyone who have changes and know from where I can get it? There is a Harley and Kawasaki showroom in Nagpur but not sure if they would entertain me for battery, would like to know model if any from these bike would make a fit or else anything online where I can order.
Battery shipping is different and difficult but hope the shipper would be aware and would be able to handle.

Am stuck, any help with online source within India with model and reference would be much appreciated.

-Pramod
Old 22nd October 2018, 13:39   #141
BHPian

I could buy it for you in Pune from Motorrad and send it over by courier or something?

This is what I can think of immediately. Will look around for other options and get back to you.

edit: Found this on amazon. I believe it should fit. Looks like its imported and you'll need to fill the acid by yourself and then hook it up on a tender (which you have)
https://www.amazon.in/YUASA-YTX14-BS.../dp/B000WJX4BQ

Seems to also be available at Bachoo motors
https://www.indiamart.com/bachoo-mot...batteries.html

Last edited by nitrogary : 22nd October 2018 at 13:47.
nitrogary is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 14:05   #142
Senior - BHPian

https://www.shoraidirect.com/

Buy a Lithium Ion Shorai Battery. Mine is holding up very well even after 2.5 years. Saves loads of weight too and the CCA is higher too!
They will ship it to you via Fedex.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 15:00   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
https://www.shoraidirect.com/

Buy a Lithium Ion Shorai Battery. Mine is holding up very well even after 2.5 years. Saves loads of weight too and the CCA is higher too!
They will ship it to you via Fedex.
Thanks Navpreet,I got in touch with BMW motorrad Mumbai and they would ship the AGM original baterry today/tomorrow, would have loved to have the Lithium Ion battery instead but looks like the shipping and custom charges and time it would take would be same. The new BMW original is Rs26K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
I could buy it for you in Pune from Motorrad and send it over by courier or something?

This is what I can think of immediately. Will look around for other options and get back to you.

Thanks for the offer, as mentioned above would be getting it from Navnit motorrad for now, the last one ran for 3 yrs hope this new one too get me that far, next time for sure will get Lithium Ion one!

-Pramod
Old 22nd October 2018, 15:22   #144
Senior - BHPian

Pramod the price of 26K for the AGM is really steep. I got mine for 12K landed with the customs.

It takes roughly one week to land. Since it is shipped from Singapore. It should roughly cost 15K by the current exchange rate etc.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 15:30   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Pramod the price of 26K for the AGM is really steep. I got mine for 12K landed with the customs.

It takes roughly one week to land. Since it is shipped from Singapore. It should roughly cost 15K by the current exchange rate etc.

Thanks for the advice and help, for now going ahead with BMW AGM battery knowing they are charging too much premium on this battery , will keep this option in mind for the next time.

-Pramod
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:07   #146
BHPian

Did you try Triumph. I picked up the Yuasa YTX14BS from Triumph in Bangalore for about Rs 5,500 couple of months back. They gladly sold it to me with proper invoice/warranty.

I believe Bachoo Motors (Mob 9820626246) also sells them but probably without warranty.

Btw, with BMW bikes if bike is resting for 3 weeks or more, always prudent to plug battery into the trickle charger and leave it. You get better battery life that way.

I have been using regular Yuasa maintenance free batteries for many years now on my BMW bikes with no problems

Last edited by Haroon : 22nd October 2018 at 16:17.
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:24   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Did you try Triumph. I picked up the Yuasa YTX14BS from Triumph in Bangalore for about Rs 5,500 couple of months back. They gladly sold it to me with proper invoice/warranty.
What is the warranty you received? 6 months or more?
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:28   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What is the warranty you received? 6 months or more?
Yes, if I remember it was 6 months. Normally they will fill the battery with the provided fluid and then do the initial charging etc and then deliver it to you. In my case since I have done that in the past, I took and did it myself but they said if any problems, you can bring it back.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:32   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, if I remember it was 6 months. Normally they will fill the battery with the provided fluid and then do the initial charging etc and then deliver it to you. In my case since I have done that in the past, I took and did it myself but they said if any problems, you can bring it back.
6 month warranty is a bit too less. Its usually after this period that these batteries actually need it. That said, Yuasa is a great brand, and I doubt you would need this so called warranty in the first place.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:09   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Did you try Triumph. .....

I thought of connecting with them, couple of hours delay in ordering could have saved me some decent money nonetheless I am surprised with lack of option in open market.

thanks all, this discussion may help others looking for battery option!

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed