Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 22:39   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200

@Parmods. My GS has only the basic Road, Rain riding mode but came with pre-installed encoding chip. How easy it is to upgrade to riding mode pro? I guess I have to go to the dealer to get it done. What else can be enabled through the dealer software on a stock bike? Can I enable the hill assist? Did go through their software but couldn't see anything useful.
Randhawa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 18:59   #152
BHPian

Re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Parmods. My GS has only the basic Road, Rain riding mode but came with pre-installed encoding chip. How easy it is to upgrade to riding mode pro? I guess I have to go to the dealer to get it done. What else can be enabled through the dealer software on a stock bike? Can I enable the hill assist? Did go through their software but couldn't see anything useful.
When you say basic road and rain, I take it that the bike is not a R1200GS Pro (or dynamic pro) version. The standard GS has these two modes. With the pro, you'll get Rain, Road, Dynamic and Enduro. There is a small red colored connector under the seat which you have to plug in the wiring harness. This activates the Pro modes - dynamic pro and enduro pro in which you can customize abs intervention and suspension setup. I haven't tried it yet.

The pro modes can be activated via a paid software upgrade and I believe so does the hill assist. Once installed, you have to pull the front brake lever hard to activate it.

PS: please note that the red encoding chip is just a wire. There is no electronic chip in it. The reason it is there is so that the owner willfully has activated the enduro pro mode which has the option of de-activating the ABS - which is not recommended by BMW to be done on tarmac. They didn't want anyone to sue them I suppose.

Last edited by nitrogary : 8th November 2018 at 19:06.
nitrogary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 01:10   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
When you say basic road and rain, I take it that the bike is not a R1200GS Pro (or dynamic pro) version. The standard GS has these two modes. With the pro, you'll get Rain, Road, Dynamic and Enduro. There is a small red colored connector under the seat which you have to plug in the wiring harness. This activates the Pro modes - dynamic pro and enduro pro in which you can customize abs intervention and suspension setup. I haven't tried it yet.

The pro modes can be activated via a paid software upgrade and I believe so does the hill assist. Once installed, you have to pull the front brake lever hard to activate it.

PS: please note that the red encoding chip is just a wire. There is no electronic chip in it. The reason it is there is so that the owner willfully has activated the enduro pro mode which has the option of de-activating the ABS - which is not recommended by BMW to be done on tarmac. They didn't want anyone to sue them I suppose.
Yeah I figured that its just a jumper and not a chip. My GS came fitted with the red connector which I got to know that it should be plugged in only after first service and not before but my dealer wasn't aware of it so it came installed. But plugging the connector doesn't activate the Ride mode pro by itself.

I don't have the Dynamic ESA so no suspension variation and I can switch off ABS which is standard. I will only get Enduro and Enduro pro, that's all I want in near future. I will inquire from the Luton BMW for the price of the Ride mode pro package. Only other thing I really want is the cruise control, there is a retrofit kit for that but not sure if it can be retrofitted on mine.
Old 9th November 2018, 10:26   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Only other thing I really want is the cruise control, there is a retrofit kit for that but not sure if it can be retrofitted on mine.
I believe this is also possible - but its not only an electronic upgrade. You'll need to get a new left side switch which has the cruise control on/off button. I believe it will also come with the wonder wheel which allows the rider to toggle between menus on the motorrad navigation system.
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 07:59   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Y....
I will inquire from the Luton BMW for the price of the Ride mode pro package. Only other thing I really want is the cruise control, there is a retrofit kit for that but not sure if it can be retrofitted on mine.
Sorry for replying so late, the red connector play a different role once plugged in the setting that "you do" is persistent till you make the change again, else all the setting default to "factory default" after every stop/key off of the bike.

You can get the Dynamic Pro and Cruise control as off factory option by paying BMW Dealer.
I was able to enable Hill Hold via the ESys software without paying, but not all option can be enabled via this way, some of the option needs CODE from BMW to get enabled like Dynamic Pro and Cruise Control needs code as well as hardware!
Dynamic Pro can work on the bike with ESA too, it would allow you to change the throttle and ABS response, suspension setting need to be done by you.

Hope this helps.

-Pramod
Old 27th December 2018, 18:15   #156
BHPian

Hi Pramod,
Nice to see you here. Hope you remember me,
Posting a picture here for you,
I am now riding a 1200 GSA.
Keep in touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-3.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1.jpg  

SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 18:23   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Hi Pramod,

Nice to see you here. Hope you remember me,

Posting a picture here for you,

I am now riding a 1200 GSA.

Keep in touch.

Hi Sahir,
Nice to see you on the big BMW, what about your 750GS?

-Pramod
Old 24th July 2019, 15:35   #158
BHPian

I need wheel balancing on my GSA( after tire change, front is wobbling), by any chance any one now about service center/wheel alignment center in Nagpur doing it for 2 wheeler?

-Pramod
Old 31st December 2020, 09:59   #159
BHPian

My R1200 completed 5 years in Nov 2020, finally we (me and my son) were able to take both GSA and GT for a good ride after annual service of both bikes. We used DJI Mavic air to shot a short drone view of small off-road session with GSA.

Embedding the youtube video
pramods is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks