Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 11:38   #46
BHPian

Re: India gets its 1st Ducati Panigale 1199R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It happens. Its racing.
I hear ya, Doc... I've gotten up close and personal with the tarmac a coupla times too, so I know it can happen. But I only ever pushed that hard on bikes that I knew I could pay to repair pretty easy, like the tuned Shoguns or RX100s.

When I was on the TL1000S, I was really REALLY careful not to overcook it. Same with the Ninja middleweight. Dropping those bikes would have bankrupted me.

Then again, if I had enough in the kitty to import, customize and transport a Panigale across the country before dropping it on my first track day, I may not feel so bad.
Silverflash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 11:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
But I only ever pushed that hard on bikes that I knew I could pay to repair pretty easy, like the tuned Shoguns or RX100s.

When I was on the TL1000S, I was really REALLY careful not to overcook it. Same with the Ninja middleweight. Dropping those bikes would have bankrupted me.
You know in this joshing, you make an extremely good point.

This is exactly my philosophy to biking. (1) I never buy anything on loan (except my house), because I know if I use it as it is meant to be used, its going to take the dinks and knocks of life. And I would hate to first damage it and then be spending to repair it, when I realised that I had this much more to go before I fully paid for it ; and (2) Since "pushing hard" is most always the only way I ride, I am loathe to be buying a bike that would be either impossible to transport by train or to repair if I broke something or cost me an arm and a leg to replace normal consumables at impossibly short intervals (read tyres, drive chains, clutch plates).

So if I had to change my riding if I bought such bikes, then where is the fun in that? The more likely option, the only one the way I see it, is that as my skills caught up with the bike's, I would push equally. In such case, I should be ready (and able) to live with the cost.

Because buying a bike is just one part of the equation.

Living with it is equally if not more important.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th November 2014 at 11:50.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 12:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
(2) Since "pushing hard" is most always the only way I ride, I am loathe to be buying a bike that would be either impossible to transport by train or to repair if I broke something or cost me an arm and a leg to replace normal consumables at impossibly short intervals (read tyres, drive chains, clutch plates).
Ditto, and I wish more of my biking buddies would read this. I've seen too many of them pay through their nose to buy a bike they lusted over, and then ride it like an office commuter. Case in point - I know a guy who bought an R1, and then hardly used it because he didn't want to risk crashing it on the track and not being able to afford repairs. But he also was afraid of burning through his clutch in traffic, so didn't use it much in the city either. Imagine. An R1, just sitting there, mostly unused. Criminal.

Quote:
So if I had to change my riding if I bought such bikes, then where is the fun in that? The more likely option, the only one the way I see it, is that as my skills caught up with the bike's, I would push equally. In such case, I should be ready (and able) to live with the cost.

Because buying a bike is just one part of the equation.

Living with it is equally if not more important.
Again, wise words. That's why KTM and their bikes excite me so much, because there's performance at an ownership & maintenance price point that will really allow me to ride hard in my natural style every time I get on it.

Orange Days sound like fun - do they only happen at Chakan, or do KTM use other circuits as well, like in Madras? And can non owners rent a ride? I'd love to take an RC around the tracks here if I could.

Last edited by Silverflash : 13th November 2014 at 12:10.
Old 13th November 2014, 12:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
Orange Days sound like fun - do they only happen at Chakan, or do KTM use other circuits as well, like in Madras? And can non owners rent a ride? I'd love to take an RC around the tracks here if I could.
Orange Days have been happening across the country bro. All the top cities. Definitely Chennai would be one of them. Don't know about the KTM on Hire bit though. Heard some other companies doing it (TVS? Honda? Yamaha?). I know one of the members here, Kunal, was racing his D390 in Chennai. Maybe you could PM him?

Last edited by ebonho : 13th November 2014 at 12:16.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 08:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Ducati should really be thanking the owner for all the good press they are getting with this bike.

If the owner is reading this Congrats and ride safe. You got a beauty there.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks