Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:52   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800

Too early for me on a sunday :-)! I was there at 1:30pm. There were quite a few bikes around hosur road yesterday. Saw the KTM gang at the base of the flyover with a few aprillias in the mix.
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Too early for me on a sunday :-)! I was there at 1:30pm. There were quite a few bikes around hosur road yesterday. Saw the KTM gang at the base of the flyover with a few aprillias in the mix.
You will get up early even on a sunday once you buy a big bike as you would like to avoid traffic at any cost

I never used to getup before 8 but now i get up at sharp 6:45 every day. These big toys change our habits for sure

BTW did you visit Kawasaki showroom?
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you Djay. Im currently trying to sell off my DS 500 and plonk the amount as advance to a 800-1000cc bike. Still reading reviews and trying to narrow my mind to 2 models. The zee is right up there.

Hope to be at the Kawasaki showroom tomorrow. Will keep you updated :-). Have sent you a pm as well.
Old 24th September 2014, 13:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
You will get up early even on a sunday once you buy a big bike as you would like to avoid traffic at any cost
I never used to getup before 8 but now i get up at sharp 6:45 every day. These big toys change our habits for sure
Totally agree with you djay. These Big Toys do change our habits for sure

Quote:
I agree with you Djay. Im currently trying to sell off my DS 500 and plonk the amount as advance to a 800-1000cc bike. Still reading reviews and trying to narrow my mind to 2 models. The zee is right up there.
I have also narrowed my choice down to two models Fullrevs. Z800 and the Bonneville. The Zee is an amazing Bike. suggest you go for a ride on it and post your thoughts here.
I did a proper 15-20kms test ride of the Zee last week at the Kawasaki Indranagar showroom. Posting a few of my observations below

1) They have divided a portion of the KTM showroom into two parts and now KTM and Kawa happily coexist in the same compound

2) All the Big Bikes were on display. But the Z1000 stood out among all these Bikes. Looked like an extra terrestial monster. No z1000 test rides being offered as of now but had a chance to sit on the Big bike and feel it. Must say the riding position on the z1000 is spot on and upright. More frendlier than the Z800. Would love to test ride this Bike. But it has a huge onroad price tag of almost 15lakhs on road and not worth IMO

3) Z800 has a Ground Clearance of 150mm. More than enough to tackle the Bangalore roads and was never a problem even on some huge breakers i tested even with a heavy Pillion

4) The suspension is superb. takes anything you throw at it with aplomb. like djay said "Makhan"

5) After you ride this bike you realize its a jack of all trades and the power on tap is so usable. The way this bike did even low speeds like 30-35kmph with absolutely zero knocking in 6th gear is unbelievable. seriously this one aspect seeing is believing. And all it needs for the speedo needle to shoot up is one slight twist of the throttle. Full marks to the Kawasaki enginners. Havent experienced this in any of the SBKs i have ridden so far

6) The Bike is very easy to manoeuvre and the 231kg kerb weight didnot pose any problem at all. Its only at standstill or u turns that you are reminded its a heavy bike

7) The instrumentation had all the required details and very legible.Liked it a lot. That and the Z tail light

Overall was thoroughly impressed with the Bike. The only crib i had was the Riding position felt a little crouched and would have preferred it to be more upright and comfortable like the Z1000. However the 20Km ride didnot pose any problem at all and came out without any aches. Morover i feel since i rode this straight after riding the Thunderbid might have felt this more and i might feel at ease once i live with it for a week or so.

Will do a proper test ride of the Bonnie as well and decide. Though i know both these are different animals altogether, finally the feel good factor will clinch it for me
rashreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 13:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kawasaki do not sell any accessories like sliders, protectors at the moment
Kawasaki do sell accessories for all big bikes. They don't have ready stock but will import them on ordering.

For Z800 they have following accessories:
Engine protectors kit set (Rs 21000)
Rear bobbins
Tail tidy
Front fork protector
Fly screen (~15K) and few more stuff which i don't recall.

It was surprising to know that they don't sell frame sliders for Z800.
Old 24th September 2014, 15:01   #66
Senior - BHPian

Placed an order for a radiator guard for my Z800 on Ebay.com

Its made of stainless steel and has Z800 embossed on it. Paid $41 including shipping.

Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-radiator-guard.jpg

Planning to buy following accessories in coming weeks:
1] R&G Racing Engine Guard Kit from http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/...KEC0051BK.aspx. Any suggestions?
2] R&G Fork Protectors
3] R&G Racing Mirror Risers
4] R&G Racing Bar End Sliders

I can buy above items from rg-racing.com and they ship to India

Last edited by djay99 : 24th September 2014 at 15:09.
djay99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 15:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
I have also narrowed my choice down to two models Fullrevs. Z800 and the Bonneville. The Zee is an amazing Bike. suggest you go for a ride on it and post your thoughts here.
I did a proper 15-20kms test ride of the Zee last week at the Kawasaki Indranagar showroom. Posting a few of my observations below
Thanks Rash! That bit of information is really useful. Nice choice of bikes and must be a difficult choice for u to decide between the Bonne and the Z800. I guess a lot would depend on the kind of usage you have planned for the bike. Was the Z1000 test ride not allowed because they dont have a spare?

Would like to ask you though, which thunderbird did you ride before the test ride of the Z800? RE or Triumph?
Old 26th September 2014, 13:01   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
I have also narrowed my choice down to two models Fullrevs. Z800 and the Bonneville.
Rash, good to know that you have finally honed down to Z800 and Bonnie.

That was a wonderful report on the Z800 and look forward to a similar detailed report after riding the Bonnie too

Just to add some flavour to the ongoings, why not considering the Street Tripple?
Old 28th September 2014, 21:31   #69
Senior - BHPian

Z800 on a race track - Click to watch
Old 29th September 2014, 12:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Will warranty void in case we install an after market exhaust?

Can you guys suggest a road legal slip on which has a good bass (& a bit loud) for Z800.

Akrapovic seems to be expensive at around 65K from PRS store. They have two brothers for 45K but that seems be no road legal.
Old 29th September 2014, 20:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Will warranty void in case we install an after market exhaust?

Can you guys suggest a road legal slip on which has a good bass (& a bit loud) for Z800.

Akrapovic seems to be expensive at around 65K from PRS store. They have two brothers for 45K but that seems be no road legal.
Yep, you can pretty much say that in India. Unless the dealer offers to sell and fit it, they're always going to make a fuss about anything aftermarket. Better to talk to the supervisor and tell them what you intend to do, that you know from talking to dozens/hundreds of owners that xyz brand of exhaust is fully compatible with the Ninja. Talking to sales people will elicit a flat "sir, warranty will be void" , so talk to the supervisors to persuade them.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 17:07   #72
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night took my Zee out for a spin on Bannerghatta road. Covered over 30KM. Headlamps are decent and beam throw is wide and long. Long beam is fantastic and i think we can do good progress on 4 Lane highways at night. Have put bulb upgrade plan on hold at the moment.

Have ordered mirror extenders from ebay as this will improve rear visibility.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 11:08   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday night took my Zee out for a spin on Bannerghatta road. Covered over 30KM. Headlamps are decent and beam throw is wide and long. Long beam is fantastic and i think we can do good progress on 4 Lane highways at night. Have put bulb upgrade plan on hold at the moment.
Nice to know that your happy with your stock lights. I think bikes in this price range come with good headlights

Even my Bonnie has beautiful stock lights, almost like car in terms of spread and throw.

To give you an example, we rode from Bangalore to Hyderabad covering 600kms in 6 hours completely at night (6pm-12am) including a liesurely dinner halt

We could keep up a decent pace just because of the awesome lights. Infact now I look forward to riding at night ( which i do often with my wife or alone)
Old 1st October 2014, 11:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
To give you an example, we rode from Bangalore to Hyderabad covering 600kms in 6 hours completely at night (6pm-12am) including a liesurely dinner halt
That is some serious timing mobike. What speeds did you explore?When were u in BLR? Do give us a shout out next time you are here.

@Djay - If its not invading your privacy. Some pictures once you install the accessories (like mirror extenders) would be great. Also, its almost time now. I hope Kawasaki is open on the thursday-friday holidays.
Old 1st October 2014, 12:20   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is some serious timing mobike. What speeds did you explore?When were u in BLR? Do give us a shout out next time you are here.
Well, I explored the speeds that Bonnie is capable of

This ride was in April'14 and we were 3 Bonnies and 1 TB500 and 2 cars. It was really fun. We plan to ride to Bangalore again in November, will ping you then
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed