Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 14:59   #121
BHPian

Re: Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
No I have not ridden one bro. As a personal rule I never ask anyone for a ride on his bike (and I very rarely give others a ride on mine). Kawasaki does not give test rides either. And if at all I were to ride a friend's Z800, I would definitely not ride one when they were so new. Usually post 10,000 kms, it becomes easier to accept a small test ride - but only if offered.

One thing I dont understand is why none of the Jap manufacturers (not just Kawasaki) are willing to give us a proper supersport 600 ? If its the rule about 600 cc then how are the Ninja 650/ER6N and Daytona 675 etc. selling here? The current generation of supersports (unlike the early 2000's ones at 599 cc) are all 600 cc+ (636, etc.) So it cannot be that rule.
There is no rule prohibiting importing 600 cc bikes. The company needs to get them homologated before they can be sold. I think that rule applies to all bikes < 800 cc.

The reason often given is that the price difference between a Supersports 600 and a litre bike wouldnt be very much and the price and cc conscious junta in India would always prefer the litre bikes. Not sure I agree but thats what I have been told. Kawasaki was planning to launch the Z750 here a few years back at a price that would make the Z800 look shockingly overpriced. Unfortunately that didnt materialize.

Triumph of course has no litre class Supersports, so for them Daytona was the only option.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:02   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
Triumph of course has no litre class Supersports, so for them Daytona was the only option.
I think you meant superbikes. Always thought the "supersport" tag is for the faired middleweight 600 cc inline fours.

Its the competition (Triumphs in this case) which make others look good and VFM. Otherwise, 9 lacs for a 800 cc bike is not what I would call VFM. It wasn't that long ago that liter class superbikes were being sold for around the 10 lac mark.

Bottom line is that you need a manufacturer to take the market by the scruff of its neck and shake it up rudely. Otherwise its a cartel, with a case of the best of the villains. Its only when we have 4-5 manufacturers offering bigger bikes 600 and above, with enough models, that a price war and volumes will begin.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th November 2014 at 15:05.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 15:10   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I think you meant superbikes. Always thought the "supersport" tag is for the faired middleweight 600 cc inline fours.

Its the competition (Triumphs in this case) which make others look good and VFM. Otherwise, 9 lacs for a 800 cc bike is not what I would call VFM. It wasn't that long ago that liter class superbikes were being sold for around the 10 lac mark.
No, I mean supersports. AFAIK its applied to all sports bikes > 600cc.
Superbike is more generic.
Attached Thumbnails
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-supersport.png  

Old 24th November 2014, 15:16   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
No, I mean supersports. AFAIK its applied to all sports bikes > 600cc.
Superbike is more generic.
Not from what I've read and understood, as the commonly accepted parlance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_s...e)#Super_sport

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/439/Mo...ort-Bikes.aspx

Last edited by ebonho : 24th November 2014 at 15:21.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:44   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No I have not ridden one bro. As a personal rule I never ask anyone for a ride on his bike (and I very rarely give others a ride on mine). Kawasaki does not give test rides either. And if at all I were to ride a friend's Z800, I would definitely not ride one when they were so new. Usually post 10,000 kms, it becomes easier to accept a small test ride - but only if offered.
I guess kawasaki dealer might be organizing TD event during weekends? Please check with them.

Quote:
One thing I dont understand is why none of the Jap manufacturers (not just Kawasaki) are willing to give us a proper supersport 600 ? If its the rule about 600 cc then how are the Ninja 650/ER6N and Daytona 675 etc. selling here? The current generation of supersports (unlike the early 2000's ones at 599 cc) are all 600 cc+ (636, etc.) So it cannot be that rule.
Volumes are low for sports bike and they will be even lower for supersport- be it 600CC or 1000CC. Hence manufacturers don't bring them.
Triumph is the only company who bought a middleweight supersports but at a price higher than expected CKD price.
Old 24th November 2014, 16:25   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Not from what I've read and understood, as the commonly accepted parlance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_s...e)#Super_sport

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/439/Mo...ort-Bikes.aspx
I dont think these terms are standardized anywhere. Most of them are loosely defined. I prefer to go by the manufacturer labels where most of them deem 600cc and above sports bikes as Supersports.

In any case, I think we are dwelling too much on the minutiae of motorcycling vocabulary. I say let us just agree to disagree and move on
Old 24th November 2014, 18:05   #127
BHPian

Congrats on the Zee djay.It indeed is one of the best looking Big naked bikes available(the best being z1000)

Fortunately or unfortunately z800/z1000 was not available when i was in search for litre class naked bike, It would have been very challenging to choose one

Wish you many happy miles ahead
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 20:23   #128
BHPian

[OT] Doc , Celestial ,

In general street bike parlance, supersport and superbike are interchangeable.
It's in the WSBK context where it is differentiated - superbikes being 750cc 4 cylinder or 900+cc twin cylinders (a rule bent to allow Ducati to compete in 750cc class) , while the term supersport refers to the 600cc 4 cylinder class. This is why the 636cc ZX-6R is called a "cheater" and when Kawasaki launched it, there was a proper compliant 600cc motor for the same , they were called the ZX-6R (600cc) and ZX-6RR (636cc) , before Kawasaki decided to stick to 636cc - not sure if they supersport rules were since changed to allow that bigger cheater engine in the same class.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:54   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Congrats on the Zee djay.It indeed is one of the best looking Big naked bikes available(the best being z1000)

Fortunately or unfortunately z800/z1000 was not available when i was in search for litre class naked bike, It would have been very challenging to choose one

Wish you many happy miles ahead
Thanks harsha. Yes indeed its a good looking bike after Z1000.

Your FZ1 has lots and lots of after market products & looks yummy.
I would have picked FZ1 if it was available at lauch price of 8.7L.
Last time i checked, it was over 11.5L on-road in bangalore.

How much power does your fz make with PC5? 180PS?

I think you are still running on MH plates. Have you paid local road tax? How are cops in hyderabad for non TS/AP vehicles?
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 19:20   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Your FZ1 has lots and lots of after market products & looks yummy.
Thank you, Most of the performance mods were done by the previous owner who made sure he got best of components.I just kept on adding tiny bits like levers,stomp grips..etc

Quote:
I would have picked FZ1 if it was available at lauch price of 8.7L.
Last time i checked, it was over 11.5L on-road in bangalore.
Last I checked, it is almost 14L OTR hyderaba.But then again its not just fz1, almost every CBU Bike's(r1,cb1000,fireblade..etc) price shot up radically

Quote:
How much power does your fz make with PC5? 180PS?
Myself am very curious how much it is making with PC5,autotune,slip-on and airfilter.Going by the info I gathered on few FZ forums, this setup must have bumped atleast 15-20PS.But more than that it is now making more of usable power at low and mid rang unlike the stock one fz1 which unleashes only in the higher rev range.

I am sure that it is considerably faster than the stock FZ1.To quote an example when i rode speed triple recently it felt as if its taking ages to reach the speeds which otherwise on fz are joke

Quote:
I think you are still running on MH plates. Have you paid local road tax? How are cops in hyderabad for non TS/AP vehicles?
It is almost an year since i have paid road-tax and i got TS number just few weeks back.It was delayed to due to various reasons like state bifurcation here,people at my RTO having no clue how to proceed, poor response from panvel RTO..etc
Old 30th November 2014, 21:00   #131
Senior - BHPian

Went for a ride this afternoon & covered 60KM. Got an average FE of 20kmpl which includes riding in peak evening traffic of almost 10km. On the highway, i was able to extract over 23kmpl at speeds of around 80 to 100. I am getting ~15kmpl in b2b traffic.
Feeding her with 97RON fuel.

I have got seat height lowering kit. Any garage where i can get it installed near jayanagar/maratahalli or hsr layout?

Also can some one tell how much force i need to apply to tighten a nut with 15nm & 11nm of force? I visited autoservice to get engine guard nuts tightened but they were not having torque wrench :(
Old 30th November 2014, 22:50   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Try Ray's Tuning Garage in Koramangala, he deals with a lot of superbikes and I have been going to him for the last 6 years to get my bikes serviced. He opens at 10 - 10:15 and is there till 7 - 7:30. If you are coming from Madiwala market towards Agara junction, take the big road (perpendicular to the main road) to the left after you cross Barbeque Nation when you find Nous Infosystems on your left at the junction. A few hundred metres ahead the road bends towards the left after which you will spot V Care Pet Poly Clinic on your left and some eateries / bakery on the right. Take the lane on the right after the bakery and you will find his garage.

Or when you are coming from Madiwala market towards Agara, turn left onto 80 feet road (at the big signal between Toshiba and BBQ Nation) and then at the next signal turn right at the NMIMS junction. Follow that road and you will cross Lazeez and Cafe Thulp (on your left) and after you cross Sri Ganesh Temple (again on your left), take the lane on the left to reach his garage. Basically two routes to reach his garage from opposite directions.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 30th November 2014 at 22:55.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 18:36   #133
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to upgrade horn as i find them to be weak for our traffic conditions.
Any advise? Do i need to change relay/cable & cut them?
Old 1st December 2014, 18:56   #134
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to upgrade horn as i find them to be weak for our traffic conditions.
While you can upgrade to a hella or the like, it will require a relay and will most certainly void the warranty!
Old 1st December 2014, 18:56   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Just get an aftermarket exhaust. No need for horn
TheCelestial is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks