Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 20:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800

2014 Kawasaki Z800 has joined our family on 8-9-14.

Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20140908_180852_tbhpoptimized.jpg

Story so far:
My dad got me a Hero Honda CBZ in 2003 when i was studying engineering. I was very happy with it as it was big and powerful. Met with an accident in 2007, sold it off and bought a car. So i am out of biking scene since 2007. Buying a big bike was a dream even though i could afford one because of other priorities (mainly house purchase). I was in Mumbai in 2011 and one fine day itch to buy a bike started. Initially started thinking of Pulsar 220, later Duke 220 and then Ninja 250. Got news that an all new Ninja 650 will be reaching our shores and started waiting for it. Had been to Probiking showroom to book it but could not as my name did not appear in initial lottery list. Dropped N650 plan and decided that it will be an Inline 4 cylinder bike for me because of sweet exhaust note.

Booked a Kawasaki Z800 from Bangalore Kawasaki dealership on 2-September and got it delivered on 8-September. Quick delivery IMO given that average waiting period is 3 to 4 weeks across india.

Options Considered:
I had a budget of 10L and options at this price point were Triumph Street Triple (Sounds like I4) and Kawasaki Z800.

On a Saturday visited Keerthi Triumph showroom for availing test ride of ST. Sales executives welcomed me and upon asking for TD of ST, an executive said they do not give TD on Saturday without a prior appointment. Upon requesting he said that even if i talk to keerthi dealership owner, he will not provide me TD. He did not even did not bother to take down my number. I was disappointed as i was not expecting such treatment when i am paying over 9L for a bike. I got in to my car and reached Kawasaki showroom. I was greeted and Paul (store manager) answered all my queries and later handed over key of Z800 for test ride. It was a good experience after triumph fiasco.

Z800 test ride:
Instant reaction after looking at Z800 is WOW. Has amazing street presence. It looks like a proper big bike (big deciding factor for me after I4 engine). Very creamy smooth engine, nice gearbox, good throttle response and very usable power delivery. Rode it in bangalore crawling traffic and it was easy to ride. Heavy weight bothers when parking but on road you never feel that its a heavy bike.
Kawasaki store manager suggested me to test ride ST before i decide. He also arranged another TD next day on HSR layout road. All in all a very good experience and i felt worth investing 9.6L on this machine.

Thought to ride ST before i decide and reached Keerthi showroom after calling up Jaikant. Was handed over keys of black ST which had quick shifter and arrow exhaust installed. Rode it for around 8 KM and i felt its a good bike. But head and heart had already decided that it will be Z800 for me.

Booking Experience:
Made booking on 2-Sep by transferring 80K. Chetan (Kawasaki Sales executive) was very helpful and answered a lot of my queries.
On 6-Sep, bike reached bangalore and i did a PDI on 7-Sep. All was well and made a full payment on 8-Sep morning and got it delivered on 8-Sep evening at 6PM. Only time i visited dealership is for a test ride and then while taking delivery.

Moments before taking delivery:
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-dsc03878optimized.jpg
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-dsc03893optimized.jpg
A big thank you to Bangalore Kawasaki team for quick delivery and for a pleasurable experience.

Bike was delivered with tank full of BP speed petrol.

Riding back to home was 15KM in peak office hours and had joy riding it. On way back to home, had to answer a lot of question from fellow motorists - kounsa company ka bike hai, kitna cylinder, kitna CC, imported hai kya, kitna paisa etc etc. I was surprised since no body asked kitna deti hai.
Headed to a ganesha temple and got pooja done. My wife and kid were in a taxi and we reached temple together. Couple of scooter owners looked less interested in their new scooters after i reached there on my Z800.

Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-img_1308optimized.jpg
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-img_1306optimized.jpg

My observations:
Pros:
* Creamy smooth Inline 4 Engine. 115PS Power and 83NM of torque.
* Ergonomics are comfortable with a typical street-fighter stance.
* Looks futuristic. It looks big and has that muscular image.
* Top notch quality as expected from CBU bike manufactured in Japan.
* Smooth shifting 6 speed transmission with close ratios. I can do 140KMPH in first gear and 40KMPH in 6th gear.
* Ride quality is supple and she tackles bad roads in a smooth manner.
* Clutch is getting lighter as i ride more.
* Powerful brakes which are getting stronger as i ride more.
* Heat from engine is bearable. So no problems for me.
* ABS - A huge plus for me.
* Grippy Dunlop Sportmax tires.
* Ride by wire throttle.
* Slipper clutch.
* Very easy to ride in congested city traffic.
* Well priced for a CBU import.
* Has got immobilizer

Cons:
* Bike is heavy. This is evident when parking but i never feel it when on the move. Was about to fall a couple of times as did not rev it properly when turning.
* Green-Black combo color has killer looks. Don't know why Kawasaki did not bring it to India.

Have ridden 240 KM till date. Average fuel efficiency is 16 KMPL which is decent IMO. Real time fuel efficiency shows up between 24 to 26 KMPL when riding at 85 KMPH in 6th gear (4K RPM).
Planning to fill her up with 97 Octane this weekend to see difference.

Other points:
* First service @ 1000 KM and then at every 6000 KM/Year.
* Break-In period - Limit engine speed to 4000 RPM till 800 KM and 6000 RPM till 1600 KM.
* Kawasaki suggests using 95+ RON. This is mentioned on fuel tank and manual. No knocking or heating issues with 91 Octane fuel.
* Bike has a vehicle down sensor which causes engine to stop automatically in the event of a fall.
* Bike has EDR (Event Data Recorder) The main purpose of this device is to record data that assists with understanding of how a vehicle’s systems performed during a short period of time. Among other things, this data can help provide a better understanding of the circumstances in which crashes occur.

My riding gear/Accessories:
* KBC VR Laguna helmet
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-helmet.jpg
* AGV Sport perforated full leather jacket (Red)
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-jacket.jpg
* DSG Phoenix riding glove
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-glove.jpg
* Cortech latigo Air Boots
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-boot.jpg
* Xena disc lock
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-xena.jpg

Accessories ordered/bought:
* Tank pad (Kawasaki dealership will provide it as a freebie)
* kraftwerk bike cover from planetdsg.com
* Ordered R&G frame sliders from Performance racing store

Accessories planned:
* R&G Radiator guard
* R&G Fork protectors
* Paddock stand
* Two brother exhaust

Reaction of family members:
* Wife is happy and always reminds me to ride with in limits of my skill
* Daughter (2 years old) is happy and told neighbors that 'pappa bada bike.. boom boom..'
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-img_1297optimized.jpg

* Parents are not happy and wanted me to buy a big car like an octavia/jetta since big bikes (or any bikes) are not safe on our roads.
* In-laws are very happy that i bought my dream bike.

That was a brief sharing of my experience and living with my dream machine. Everything about this bike is awesome, one of the most satisfying experience IMO when spending close to a million.

Time for some pics
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20140909_072957optimized.jpg
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20140909_073022optimized.jpg
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20140909_072924optimized.jpg
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20140913_085514optimized.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th September 2014 at 01:45. Reason: Duplicate image removed, Thanks
djay99 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 22:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800

Awesome, DJay , congratulations - this is what cloud nine feels like, eh ?

My experience with dealers was somewhat opposite, the Triumph dealer being much friendlier and enthusiastic, while Kawasaki was a bit ho-hum and didn't permit test rides. That steered me towards Triumph. It's been a question everyone has, why big K doesn't offer any color options, and it looks like it's a question we will all take to our graves unanswered.

How are you finding the digital dash, especially the vertical tacho , in terms of ease of reading? How are the headlamps w.r.t illuminating the road ahead ?

If you don't mind, can you also disclose the source and price you got the jacket and boots from?
BTW, I didn't know R&G parts are sold in India, I'll take a look at them. I had also forgotten about the radiator guard. Thanks for bringing to attention.

Last edited by Ricci : 13th September 2014 at 22:08.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 23:27   #3
BHPian

Congratulations! I spotted a Z800 on friday afternoon at a certain tech park in Bellandur. Looking at your helmet in pics, I guess it was you.

Did you visit Indiranagar by any chance today? Coz I spotted one there as well. Couldn't have a look at helmet this time.
black_rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 02:12   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your new baby. The Z is indeed an all round fun bike.
BTW, if you feel the seat hard after longer rides, a good seat guy can remove the staples, add a little smooth padding and restaple it so it wont alter the seat shape or upholstery.

Ride safe & wsih you many many miles of enjoyable biking
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 10:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Upon requesting he said that even if i talk to keerthi dealership owner, he will not provide me TD. He did not even did not bother to take down my number. I was disappointed
Classic case of how to lose a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
My experience with dealers was somewhat opposite, the Triumph dealer being much friendlier and enthusiastic, while Kawasaki was a bit ho-hum and didn't permit test rides. That steered me towards Triumph.

And Congratulations to both of you
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 12:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

I shouldve checked on the forum to see if you had posted details of your purchase. Great bike and a fantastic purchase Djay. Cant wait to hear more reports from you as your relationship gets older. Congratulations once again and ride safe.

Where are you sourcing the two brother exhaust from?
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Awesome, DJay , congratulations - this is what cloud nine feels like, eh ?

My experience with dealers was somewhat opposite, the Triumph dealer being much friendlier and enthusiastic, while Kawasaki was a bit ho-hum and didn't permit test rides. That steered me towards Triumph. It's been a question everyone has, why big K doesn't offer any color options, and it looks like it's a question we will all take to our graves unanswered.

How are you finding the digital dash, especially the vertical tacho , in terms of ease of reading? How are the headlamps w.r.t illuminating the road ahead ?

If you don't mind, can you also disclose the source and price you got the jacket and boots from?
BTW, I didn't know R&G parts are sold in India, I'll take a look at them. I had also forgotten about the radiator guard. Thanks for bringing to attention.
Thanks Ricci. Many congratulations for your Daytona 675 - she is beautiful. I have gone through your ownership report and that's a nice writeup.

I had Red Street triple in my mind and was even carrying cheque book with me. I was even ready make full payment if they were to deliver faster but their was put off by their attitude.

At times i think Kawasaki is not seriously interested in doing business in India. It is just because of some competition they are here. Green-Black Z800 looks fab and i heard that 75%+ purchases worldwide are green-black combo. I could not make out what stopped them in bringing this colour.

Honestly i like all analogue dash (like Busa's). Digitial dash is beautiful and vertical tacho needs some time getting used to. There are three modes for tacho needle movement - One setting moves from bottom to top, other one from top to bottom and third one is a thin line from bottom to top.

Headlights are decent but not powerful for our roads. Throw of beam is good but potholes will not be visible on roads without street lights. I am planning to upgrade bulbs in future.

I got jacket and boots from Revzilla USA for approx $240 and boots for $150 resp.

R&G Racing products are available with performanceracing.in You can email them asking for available parts for your daytona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Congratulations! I spotted a Z800 on friday afternoon at a certain tech park in Bellandur. Looking at your helmet in pics, I guess it was you.

Did you visit Indiranagar by any chance today? Coz I spotted one there as well. Couldn't have a look at helmet this time.
Thanks black_rider. Yes it was me in Bellandur RMZ Eco Space Nice observation.

It was some one else @ Indiranagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Congrats on your new baby. The Z is indeed an all round fun bike.
BTW, if you feel the seat hard after longer rides, a good seat guy can remove the staples, add a little smooth padding and restaple it so it wont alter the seat shape or upholstery.

Ride safe & wsih you many many miles of enjoyable biking
Thanks Haroon. Seat is pretty much ok for city rides but yes it not very comfortable for long rides. Per your advice, will look at adding padding in coming days. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Classic case of how to lose a customer.

And Congratulations to both of you
Thanks Sheel. If Triumph dealers had treated me well, there was no reason for me to visit Kawasaki showroom. I had almost finalized on Red ST.
Z800 was not in my list since it was heavy on paper but one ride helped me to decide that this is the bike for me.

They still have not called me to check if i have decided on something. True picture of their arrogance because of good sales but they must understand that consistently selling in good numbers is not possible without good customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I shouldve checked on the forum to see if you had posted details of your purchase. Great bike and a fantastic purchase Djay. Cant wait to hear more reports from you as your relationship gets older. Congratulations once again and ride safe.

Where are you sourcing the two brother exhaust from?
Thanks Fullrevs. I am planning to buy it in future since i am happy with current exhaust sound and bass. But yes its not very loud. I am travelling to Singapore next month and will pick it up if price is good. Performance racing store mumbai sells it for 45K.

Did you visit Kawasaki showroom yesterday? How was your experience and which bike are you considering.

Last edited by djay99 : 14th September 2014 at 12:45.
djay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 17:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

DJay99, Congratulations on a great bike!

Pictures do not do justice to her, in person the bike looks much better. Personally, I prefer this one to the Street Triple too.

Please update your thread on a regular basis as you pile on the kilometers. All the very best on making your dream come true and wishing you a happy life with the Z800!

Take care and ride safe!

Last edited by GTO : 15th September 2014 at 15:30. Reason: Typos
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 18:19   #9
BHPian

Hi DJay, excellent choice. The I4 Kawas have a special place in my heart.
I did not know that an exclusive Kawasaski showroom has opened up here. Is it Khivraj Indiranagar?
I too had heard of the not so friendly attitude of Keerthi guys, but this highlights it clearly. Someone from Keerthi and Triumph should look at this and know how they lost a customer, but again I don't think they'll bother, looking at both's arrogance.
Anyway, let me not worry about that since you are enjoying the Z so much.
Have lakhs of happy and safe clicks on the Z.

Last edited by theredliner : 14th September 2014 at 18:21.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 20:57   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your new set of wheels djay !! I saw one in person at the JP Nagar Starbucks recently and boy, does it look straight out of a Transformer movie. The sharp styling is a eye-ball magnet for sure. Great choice
CoolBlueBiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 11:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase Djay! Was pleasantly surprised that you were so keen on ST and ended up with the Zee!! I know the reason why now after going through your ownership report.

On a different note, I went to the Triumph Bangalore showroom for just a cursory glance at their line up and left my contact number with them a few months ago. I keep getting called even till date have been asked when I would like to come over for the test ride. Not sure why you got such a treatment though which meant they lost a customer!
Old 15th September 2014, 12:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Its the season for Team BHPians getting bigger and better toys! Congrats DJay. Looks beautiful (and mean). This is another thread I will be hooked to.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 13:34   #13
BHPian

Congrats Djay, wishing you many happy miles with the beast! Hope to meet you on one of the rides soon
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 14:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
2014 Kawasaki Z800 has joined our family on 8-9-14.
Congratulations djay. Wonderful choice. The Bike looks mean
I was under the impression that the Kawasakis apart from the 250 and 650 Ninjas were being sold only in Pune. Good to know they are being sold everywhere along with the Baby Ninjas and the KTMs

Have a few Queries. Hope you have the patience to answer them
  1. How is the Ground Clearance of the Bike? Does it touch on the nasty Bangalore speed Breakers with or without Pillion?
  2. How is the suspension and the riding stance? Can it do long distance trips without too much strain and pain on Wrists/Elbows/Back/Shoulders?
  3. How is the steering? Too heavy to manage in traffic or manageable? and also the Turning Radius? Is it as miniscule as the other SBKs and a pain to park?
  4. Finally, how is the sound with the stock silencer? Typical inline 4 roar, or is it muted?
Quote:
I had Red Street triple in my mind and was even carrying cheque book with me. I was even ready make full payment if they were to deliver faster but their was put off by their attitude.

At times i think Kawasaki is not seriously interested in doing business in India. It is just because of some competition they are here. Green-Black Z800 looks fab and i heard that 75%+ purchases worldwide are green-black combo. I could not make out what stopped them in bringing this colour.

Headlights are decent but not powerful for our roads. Throw of beam is good but potholes will not be visible on roads without street lights. I am planning to upgrade bulbs in future.

Thanks Haroon. Seat is pretty much ok for city rides but yes it not very comfortable for long rides. Per your advice, will look at adding padding in coming days. Thanks again.

Firstly am appalled at the attitude of Keerthi Motors. Was hearing good things till now. Shows how just one bad employee can tarnish the entire company's reputation. Hope someone at Triumph India is reading this and takes appropriate action

The stock headlights do not suffice? Can you please let me know the upgrade you have in mind. Just bulb replacement or something more?

The Black actually looks awesome and IMO better than the Green Black combo. Also i saw on their international website there is an option of Matt Black as well as a Shiny Black. Are they offering both the options in India as well?

Finally, how good or bad are the stock seats? Is the padding option just a fix it and forget it arrangement and regular stuff which can be done by any Stanley type leather seats shop?

And how about the Silicon Gel seat option? Probably Haroon can throw more light on these two Queries

Sorry for the long list of questions and thanks in advance

Hope you have a wonderful time with the bike and it serves you well

Last edited by aah78 : 15th October 2014 at 21:31. Reason: Post edited for readability - grammar & spell-check. Please stop throwing in random capital letters.
rashreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 14:49   #15
BHPian

Have seen it in person once and it looks brutal stand still , very well proportioned aesthetically and the bike I will opt for if the choice was between this and the triumph naked offerings .

Congratulations on a great bike .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed