Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 04:29   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda to assemble CBR 650 in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Anybody knows the level of localization which Kawaski have achieved for the Ninja 650?

In thailand, both bikes are priced almost the same (around 300k baht) - with the Honda being slightly more expensive.

Now why shouldn't we have similar pricing difference here also?

Boo to Honda!
Kawasaki import bills show they undervalue their bike's value and then sell it here for 2 times the price. Their import bill reads "2.2 lakhs" for whatever reason. Just for comparision, the N300 comes in at 1.83 lakhs. There's something really fishy going on there. Kawasaki has no local production plant for localization as far as i know. Are they undervaluing the bills to evade more custom duties or something?

Also, the Ninja 650 is a near 10 year old product now since it first debuted in 2006. The exchange rates were a lot different and Kawasaki has made big returns on their R&D and manufacturing investment and the product is at the end of its life cycle. The comparison lies only in the displacement numbers. The two bikes are chalk and cheese in every other aspect. Think about it as a 150cc commuter and a 150cc premium sports bike. The displacement is the same but the technology and money spent in development will be nowhere near to justify selling them both in the same price bracket.

Bike designed and manufactured this year will obviously cost a whole lot more than a bike designed and first manufactured 10 years ago.
Look at the new litre bikes hitting the $20k barrier from $14k 5 years ago because of increased production costs and R&D investments that they have to recover from highly saturated markets.

Honda will only roll out 2 bikes a day to see if there are potential takers and ONLY then will they think of increasing production capacity. They openly admit that they will train their existing workers in assembling their first big bike and will find local vendors for parts that will meet their standard of quality before further increasing localization here. This is a smart move. They surely do not want to repeat the issues that pertained to the first batch of 250Rs with respect to quality niggles.

But having said that, even i wouldn't put my money on one if they have an introductory price of 8 lakhs+. This is a double edged sword for HMSI because at that price, there will be no takers to justify increase in production and they might discontinue the bike altogether.
Let's hope there will be some rich folks dishing out their money to buy imported 650Fs and maybe Honda will increase localization and reduce price over the next few years and finally put it in a price bracket we are willing to dish out.

I live in KA which has the highest taxes so i wouldn't be able to cough up more than 7 lakhs OTR to justify this bike over the z800.

If Honda throws the price out of the park, i will gladly retain my 250 for a couple of more years and wait it out till somebody offers a better fully faired package for the right price.
Old 10th May 2015, 00:04   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I live in KA which has the highest taxes so i wouldn't be able to cough up more than 7 lakhs OTR to justify this bike over the z800.

If Honda throws the price out of the park, i will gladly retain my 250 for a couple of more years
I am in a similar situation. I can utmost stretch my budget to 6.7 (ok... 7L). Don't want to wait more as I feel I've waited enough (been planning an upgrade to my old Zma R for the past couple of years)

Plan B - Get a Ninja 650 and replace the stock exhaust with a better sounding one (Arrow/ Scorpion)

Plan C - Get a used Ninja 650 + change the exhaust
Old 11th May 2015, 09:38   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I am in a similar situation. I can utmost stretch my budget to 6.7 (ok... 7L). Don't want to wait more as I feel I've waited enough (been planning an upgrade to my old Zma R for the past couple of years)

Plan B - Get a Ninja 650 and replace the stock exhaust with a better sounding one (Arrow/ Scorpion)

Plan C - Get a used Ninja 650 + change the exhaust
Look at option of Benelli TNT 600 or 899. These are really sweet sounding bikes out of showroom. Decent equipment as well. 600 cc inline 4 with 83 PS power rating which is similar to the CBR 650.

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 11th May 2015 at 10:05.
the VTEC guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 12:13   #94
BHPian

@VTec guy - Not sure the Benelli 600i will fit my requirements - its got a hard clutch which will be a pain in rush hour Bangalore traffic. I do intend to ride the bike twice or thrice to office every week, so the Benelli is out.

The TNT 899 etc is over budget.
Old 11th May 2015, 13:03   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its got a hard clutch which will be a pain in rush hour Bangalore traffic.
Does it not come with a Hydraulic clutch? Also would it be too hard to retro fit one if it is not factory fitted.

Yes retro fitting might involve lot of engineering work and might void the warranty as well.
Old 11th May 2015, 14:05   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Does it not come with a Hydraulic clutch? ...
It has a dry clutch.
Old 11th May 2015, 14:37   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
It has a dry clutch.
You meant the Benelli 600i has dry clutch? Thought it was a wet clutch since the engine was based on R6.

For sure their bigger brother TNT 1130 comes with a dry and that engine sounds like a flour grinding machine.
(My Apologies to any prospective buyers, riders and service personnel)
Old 12th May 2015, 08:50   #98
BANNED

Honda producing bikes higher than 250cc is still a long way off and as far as 650 is concerned, it may not see the light until 2017 probably. There is simply no enough demand for such a high investment by Honda, so that 8L price range is mostly for CKD assembly.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th May 2015 at 06:57. Reason: Quote not necessary
Old 18th May 2015, 10:52   #99
Team-BHP Support

The Honda CBR 650F has been spotted doing laps at the Buddh International Circuit.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Honda to assemble CBR 650 in India!-cbr1.jpg

Honda to assemble CBR 650 in India!-cbr2.jpg

Honda to assemble CBR 650 in India!-cbr3.jpg

Source: Motorbeam
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 22:16   #100
Senior - BHPian

Cannot wait till July. Let's hope atleast Honda will have some under 7 "INTRODUCTORY" prices so people can jump and claim the first lot 15 bikes that have been imported before a price hike takes it back to 8ish :/ I'm selling a kidney, any takers?
Old 18th May 2015, 22:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

The front number plate and saree guard are good signs!
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 00:11   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Cannot wait till July. Let's hope atleast Honda will have some under 7 "INTRODUCTORY" prices so people can jump and claim the first lot 15 bikes that have been imported before a price hike takes it back to 8ish :/
I seriously hope pricing is 7 OTR Bangalore.

But the other case might also happen. Honda might price it at 8 initially and then reduce it to 7ish later. Which means early adopters get the shaft
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 12:20   #103
BHPian

Another batch of parts imported on June 16th.

https://www.zauba.com/import-honda-650-hs-code.html

Also, a few reports saying that it will be a Diwali launch instead of July. Any clue folks?
Old 19th June 2015, 14:42   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I seriously hope pricing is 7 OTR Bangalore.

But the other case might also happen. Honda might price it at 8 initially and then reduce it to 7ish later. Which means early adopters get the shaft
As the XUV (and indeed Mahaindra and Bajaj, among others) have shown, penetration pricing works really well in India to build a "VFM" perception lable for a brand. Never mind what comes later, that initial perception remains tagged in junta's mind.
Old 24th June 2015, 19:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

July 4th Bangalore Launch, atleast that's what a fellow rider in a group is claiming. HMSI has apparently sent out invites to automotive journalists it seems.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks