Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 21:37   #211
BHPian

re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
What if the owner's manual they issued to me mentions 106.2BHP. I am wondering if there is any legal recourse available to me.

Know any good lawyer folks
Legal recourse is definitely available, though my guess would be the result of the suit will give you more emotional satisfaction than a financial one. I would have definitely taken that course but only you can decide whether you want to go through that pain. I have twice gone through the legal process to appeal against a govt. decision and won on both occasions. An extremely extremely administratively painful process but highly satisfying nonetheless.

I feel unfortunate and left out since i cant be taking legal recourse. I will be buying the bike with the full knowledge - my emails to triumph clearly stating I'm aware of the de tuned numbers.

Also, am i being biased or is the Overdrive article seemingly too neutral and lacking in the criticism this issue deserves.

Cheers,
Sting.
Old 26th November 2014, 21:43   #212
BHPian

Found another article on OD seems to be an additional article explaining the different state of tune and goes out to actually correct their previous articles with updated figures

http://overdrive.in/news/analysis-tr...falls-to-79ps/

Mods please delete the post if it is a repeat.
downsouth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 21:59   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Found another article on OD seems to be an additional article explaining the different state of tune and goes out to actually correct their previous articles with updated figures

Thanks for pointing this out. The article just infuriates me more, so now is the dealer liable considering that i was reassured by the same that i am buying the 106BHP bike and not the 85BHP one?

Last edited by A_v_i : 26th November 2014 at 22:08.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:06   #214
BHPian

Quote:

Good article, i take my words back in the earlier post. OD has put a fair foot forward.

AVI - i empathise with you. I am infuriated without even buying the bike, i can only imagine what you are going through.

Courtesy my conversations with the delaership i had known you were buying a lowr spec version while i was following this thread. I wish i had a way to say it. Didnt have a tbhp membership! On the bright side, sue the hell out of them.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:10   #215
Senior - BHPian

Triumph India is saying re. the Striple: (Whether it actually corresponds to facts or not, I don't know)
A) the British bike is 106 bhp, for the rest of the world it is 85 bhp. (They repeatedly drop the names Brazil and Japan).
B) We get this 85 bhp model.
C) The 85 bhp model, in ARAI's hands gives 79 bhp.

And here is the bummer:- ALL Striples sold here, right from the beginning have been this 85/ 79 bhp model.

All this comes from sources who should be taken as authoritative, but they requested me not to mention names. And that they are going to come out with a clarification on their website soon.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 26th November 2014 at 22:12.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:12   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OD artcle clearly states that triumph never sold 106PS ST in India. It was always brazilian spec 85PS bike sold.
This is cheating guys. Showing euro spec sheet and delivering Brazilian bike. Having just a disclaimer may help them legally but they have lost trust guys. Never expected this from triumph :(
Old 26th November 2014, 22:12   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
ALL Striples sold here, right from the beginning have been this 85/ 79 bhp model.
Yet, the dealers called the bikes out to be 106BHP. Basically, Triumph India is washing its hands off the fiasco and putting the responsibility on the dealers.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:16   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OD artcle clearly states that triumph never sold 106PS ST in India. It was always brazilian spec 85PS bike sold.
This is cheating guys. Showing euro spec sheet and delivering Brazilian bike. Having just a disclaimer may help them legally but they have lost trust. Never expected this from triumph :(

Not posting right figures on website is still ok but handing over brochure with euro figures is very bad.

Avi-do you have anything in writing from dealership staying that they will deliver 106PS bike?
Old 26th November 2014, 22:22   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
This is cheating guys. Showing euro spec sheet and delivering Brazilian bike. Having just a disclaimer may help them legally but they have lost trust. Never expected this from triumph :(
Agree a 100%. I am just so disappointed with Triumph, certainly not what i was expecting for the money i spent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Not posting right figures on website is still ok but handing over brochure with euro figures is very bad.

Avi-do you have anything in writing from dealership staying that they will deliver 106PS bike?
That's what i got from the dealer, the brochure calling out the 106BHP. There was no reason to doubt the brochure, and the dealer reassured verbally that the bike was 106BHP one.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:33   #220
BHPian

Maybe a retitling of this thread is in order.

Triumph Motorcycles misleads Indians with overstated performance figures?

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 22:52   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Triumph India is saying re. the Striple: (Whether it actually corresponds to facts or not, I don't know)
A) the British bike is 106 bhp, for the rest of the world it is 85 bhp. (They repeatedly drop the names Brazil and Japan).

Regards
Sutripta
Some serious doubts about this statement. Triumph websites of countries selling the Street Triple like Indonesia, Australia, etc., lists the bike as 106.

Considering that Triumph has factories in Thailand and Brazil, and since the CKD's are supposed to be coming to India via the FTA with Thailand, I would have imagined them to be the 106 version.

If Triumph's statement about rest of the world is true, I doubt consumers in other countries are as powerless as us.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 26th November 2014, 23:20   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
If Triumph's statement about rest of the world is true, I doubt consumers in other countries are as powerless as us.
The bigger question is whether triumph dealerships there would have been selling those bikes after showing the higher spec brochures. Ridiculous.
Old 26th November 2014, 23:24   #223
BHPian

Gthang, any reason you think we are powerless? No one has even sued Triumph yet.
Old 27th November 2014, 09:53   #224
BHPian

Any triumph owners here who are considering a Dyno run?
BRATS? Bangalore has a few Dynos in town, why not get it done and ease your mind (and ours) about the power output of your machines.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:23   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
The bigger question is whether triumph dealerships there would have been selling those bikes after showing the higher spec brochures. Ridiculous.
If you know the dealership network and how it is run in India, I would not be so hasty in blaming the dealers. They are limited to Triumph India management for everything, including information about the bikes, stock, parts, etc.

Obviously someone from Indian auto industry is now in Triumph management, so the shoving of the blame, aka, Blame Game, has begun with the dealers as the first soft target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Gthang, any reason you think we are powerless? No one has even sued Triumph yet.
Since "Superbikes" are not yet part of the mainstream Indian auto industry, and having seen/heard/experienced several fiascos with several brands, I feel that way.

But I do welcome market maturity and hope things will change.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks