Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 19:11   #46
BHPian

re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post

But my real worry is why did they do it now. If it is because of a severe engine issue then existing owners might face this issue as well and they need to think about this and demand an explanation from triumph.
Assuming it is not a typo and due to potential engine failure related , current owners should be careful during service as there is a possibility they might ninja detune the bike . An explanation is in line as such even for those , especially for those who already own these bikes .

ps: checked the US site , street triple is marked at 106 BHP , good chance of this being a typo and also explains the lack of attention from foreign critics .

Last edited by basuroy : 19th November 2014 at 19:16.
Old 19th November 2014, 19:15   #47
BHPian

Basuroy, while existing owners definitely deserve an explanation, a 'ninja detune' is a bit much. I'm sure all those riding the like will definitely feel the difference, not to mention the backlash that follows. In could feel the difference while riding an 18bhp bullet if the tune was off!
Old 19th November 2014, 20:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Basuroy, while existing owners definitely deserve an explanation, a 'ninja detune' is a bit much. I'm sure all those riding the like will definitely feel the difference, not to mention the backlash that follows. In could feel the difference while riding an 18bhp bullet if the tune was off!
Of course that goes without saying , agree it is a bit much as the backlash will drive them away of the country before they really settled in . All the same the reason behind this is indeed something to worry about , lets hope for everyone involved it is just a typo ( has the entire range including tiger explorer series and the cruisers like thunderbird and rocket been detuned or just the sports category ? I am not aware of the original figures so a visit to the website won't help ).
Old 19th November 2014, 20:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
( has the entire range including tiger explorer series and the cruisers like thunderbird and rocket been detuned or just the sports category ? I am not aware of the original figures so a visit to the website won't help ).
As per the updates, the Tiger duo are not detuned. Its only the Bonnie, ST & Daytona series that are detuned.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 21:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Calcutta dealership inauguration is on 26 Nov. Initially was not interested in going, but now am. (When they called me, I said no.) There should be some honchos present.

100 bhp is a magic psychological number. You don't reduce it to even 99, if you can help it. And if they have sold detuned versions without making it public, it is fraud.

Are the peak torque, power, and redline rpms the same?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th November 2014, 21:55   #51
BHPian

This is very concerning for me. I have a Street Triple getting ready for delivery from the Triumph Dealer in Pune, the RTO process should have started earlier today.

25% power drop is very hard to digest, especially given the price point Street Triple retails at. In fact performance was the sole criterion for me picking the Striple over the Z800.

Post booking, i received a brochure from the dealer with the bike details listing 106BHP, but the latest brochure on the site does mention 79BHP. Given that the payment has been done, i am in a pickle if the bike is actually the detuned version.

Trying to reach the dealer, probably should have more updates when the showroom opens tomorrow morning.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:11   #52
BHPian

Good luck with that!! I'm fairly sure you will get what you paid for.
Could you post the other engine specs relating to power since you have both brochures!
Old 19th November 2014, 22:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Could you post the other engine specs relating to power since you have both brochures!
Attached a side by side comparison of the page that shows the power figures in both the brochures. Interestingly both the brochures list max power as 106BHP in the introduction, whoever did the editing, sure did a shoddy job of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-striple_diff.jpg  

A_v_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 00:27   #54
BHPian

Thanks! Even peak torque is down by 11nm and at 1300rpm less! The engines don't seem as rev happy as before! I wonder if the rev limiter has been set lower too!
Old 20th November 2014, 06:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

*If* Triumph India is actually de-tuning the bikes, they would have achieved it by using a more conservative map.

For folks who can afford to buy a Triumph, I don't think it would be that big of a pinch to spend 20-30K (assuming that's the usual range of remapping costs in your city) to get a remap back to stock or something even better. Triumphs have plenty of maps available on EU websites.
Old 20th November 2014, 07:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
For folks who can afford to buy a Triumph, I don't think it would be that big of a pinch to spend 20-30K
Fair point, however i would be concerned about Triumph honoring the warranty with aftermarket remaps.
Old 20th November 2014, 08:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
25% power drop is very hard to digest, especially given the price point Street Triple retails at. In fact performance was the sole criterion for me picking the Striple over the Z800.
Performance figures are similar for both Z800 and ST and i have seen couple of videos where Z800 did 0-100KMPH in 3.2Sec.
Top speed of Z800 is over 240KMPH.
ST is more agile due to low weight. BTW did you experience smoothness of Z800 engine.

Quote:
Post booking, i received a brochure from the dealer with the bike details listing 106BHP, but the latest brochure on the site does mention 79BHP. Given that the payment has been done, i am in a pickle if the bike is actually the detuned version.
Don't worry too much. ST packs a punch in any state of tune IMO.

Quote:
*If* Triumph India is actually de-tuning the bikes, they would have achieved it by using a more conservative map.

For folks who can afford to buy a Triumph, I don't think it would be that big of a pinch to spend 20-30K (assuming that's the usual range of remapping costs in your city) to get a remap back to stock or something even better. Triumphs have plenty of maps available on EU websites.
Instead of a custom remap, you may buy an Arrow exhaust which comes with different map but detune has something do to with reliability i guess.
I read top speed of ST after installing arrows is 230KMPH(stock is ~210).
Old 20th November 2014, 09:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Performance figures are similar for both Z800 and ST and i have seen couple of videos where Z800 did 0-100KMPH in 3.2Sec.
Top speed of Z800 is over 240KMPH.
ST is more agile due to low weight. BTW did you experience smoothness of Z800 engine.

Don't worry too much. ST packs a punch in any state of tune IMO.

Instead of a custom remap, you may buy an Arrow exhaust which comes with different map but detune has something do to with reliability i guess.
I read top speed of ST after installing arrows is 230KMPH(stock is ~210).
Well the top end was not really a consideration, i doubt i would get anywhere close to the top speed given the roads in the country. However, i found the Striple to be more nimble and with quite a broad power range. Not sure how the detune impacts the drivability of the bike.

Yes, ST with 79BHP should still be quick, but then i paid for a 100+BHP bike, maybe its all just a psychological consideration.

Interestingly, i find myself in a catch-22 situation. If my bike comes with 106BHP and subsequent ones are detuned, I would still worry about why and if my engine is gonna blow-up under me

The Arrows exhaust for the Striple are just slip ons, so no remaps, etc, so that does not help either.
Old 20th November 2014, 09:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
While definitely being being an option, that doesn't answer the Why bit.
Nobody would want a stock remap if triumph took the decision because of issues it *may* have been facing. Reliability over the added power anyday I guess!
udainxs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 10:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Fair point, however i would be concerned about Triumph honoring the warranty with aftermarket remaps.
Warranty is void when you install an aftermarket exhaust, forget about warranty after ECU remap.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks