Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2015, 22:48   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
The indian specs are derived from the wheel and the UK specs are from the crank.
I just listened to the above points and came out of the showroom.
No auto maker in India does this, I mean who wants to show lower power output by measuring it at the wheel instead of crank, I don't understand how they couldn't know how much power their machines make! and I don't think transmission loss would be so HUGE, if that is the case, they why other bikes specs are close to what they offer in UK?
Old 7th January 2015, 22:50   #602
BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised by this move. Few days back, i visited bike accessories shop and i had a small visit to the adjacent Triumph showroom as well.......
Unbelievable! Who in their right minds has given the Triumph Mgt jokers a command of the India operations. And they are still not fixing it.
Old 7th January 2015, 23:11   #603
BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised by this move. Few days back, i visited bike accessories shop and i had a small visit to the adjacent Triumph showroom as well. I was curious to know what explanation/USP they were offering for new customers to buy ST3. These were the points told to me by the dealer :-
1. No detuning or Brazil specs for the indian st3. It is same as what is being offered in other markets. The indian specs are derived from the wheel and the UK specs are from the crank.
2. The top speed is 240 kmph without any modifications.
3. Even Z800 has bhp far less than what is claimed.
4. Triumph can offer some performance mods for an additional cost and the cost details will be revealed only after paying the booking amount.

The dealer is most certainly fibbing. I don't know about the Z800 hp part - but I expect it will be true of all bikes sold as CBUs with EU specs actually making 5-10hp less than EU-spec due to ambient atmospheric factors. The Daytona's top speed is around 240km/h (partly due to short gearing), the Street's top speed will be lower, around 215-220.

As for Indian specs being wheel output - the foreign sites have already measured the Daytona at around 112-115hp - there's no way the Indian one makes more at 118!

Last edited by Ricci : 7th January 2015 at 23:14.
Old 8th January 2015, 09:32   #604
BHPian

Quote:
These were the points told to me by the dealer :-
They also resort to quoting the top speeds of the bike in each gear. It smacks of desperation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Price hike is applicable for all automobiles, please refer to the excise duty hike here
Thanks for the link Jaggu. I am aware of the hike and bought a car a few days back to beat the hike
In this case triumph may have considered absorbing the impact considering the damage they have already done. While the numbers are still not out, keeping it at a minimum, unlike the 30k or 5% we have heard of, could help them somewhat! As i mentioned the Iron 883 is dearer by 22k ex showroom, up to 7.21lakhs
Old 8th January 2015, 09:46   #605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
In this case triumph may have considered absorbing the impact considering the damage they have already done. While the numbers are still not out, keeping it at a minimum, unlike the 30k or 5% we have heard of, could help them somewhat! As i mentioned the Iron 883 is dearer by 22k ex showroom, up to 7.21lakhs
No one in their right senses would do that. Dealership mentioned it would be standard excise duty hike and nothing more. But yes prices would go up, good for the resale i say
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 12:36   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No one in their right senses would do that. Dealership mentioned it would be standard excise duty hike and nothing more. But yes prices would go up, good for the resale i say
But Triumph has been known to do stuff that no one on their right senses would have done

That said, I would like to see how much the hike translates to. When you bought the bike, the price was up 20k and now we are looking at another hike. Im sure it will hurt sales, which already seemed to have slumped
Old 8th January 2015, 13:58   #607
BHPian

Quote:
These were the points told to me by the dealer :-
2. The top speed is 240 kmph without any modifications.

Dealers are still misleading customers

Regarding 240kmph for the stock Indian Striple, its not true, no where close in fact.

Quote:
That said, I would like to see how much the hike translates to. When you bought the bike, the price was up 20k and now we are looking at another hike. Im sure it will hurt sales, which already seemed to have slumped
Frankly, i am not sure why most folks would buy a Striple today, at the stock powerspec and the current price point. Yes, if powered the same, i would again pick the Striple over a Z800, but the lower tune being sold here just does not justify the price. If one wants a stock bike at Striple's power range, pick the Er6n.

Having said that, if money was not a concern, i would buy a Striple and add the parts to bring it up to 10X BHP

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th January 2015 at 17:32.
Old 8th January 2015, 14:22   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Frankly, i am not sure why most folks would buy a Striple today, at the stock powerspec and the current price point. Yes, if powered the same, i would again pick the Striple over a Z800, but the lower tune being sold here just does not justify the price. If one wants a stock bike at Striple's power range, pick the Er6n.

Having said that, if money was not a concern, i would buy a Striple and add the parts to bring it up to 10X BHP
The dealer understands that as well and is resorting to the measures we have read in the previous posts. The Striple is the same as it was and that is terrific, but knowing what we know now, we're looking at in a different light. I am guilty of this change in perspective as well

Deliveries and test rides for the 6n are yet to commence in Blr. They were awaiting RTO clearance last i heard, even though the first batch of bikes had arrived.

Note from Support - Post edited. Only 2 smileys allowed in a post. Please refrain from submitting posts which have more than 2 smileys.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th January 2015 at 17:10.
Old 8th January 2015, 14:22   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Yes, if powered the same, i would again pick the Striple over a Z800
If not for the weight, is there any specific reason for the above ? Just curious .

Though the charm has been removed at the higher end of the RPM range for the Indian version, did any one try to do a test drive and compare the mid-range performance of both ST3 and ER6n ? As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am seeing ER6n dominating the mid-range (until close to 8500 RPM) and this is the case for the 106ps version of ST3.. I only hope they haven't compromised anything on the mid-range.
Old 8th January 2015, 14:54   #610
BHPian

Quote:
If not for the weight, is there any specific reason for the above ? Just curious .
Primarily the weight, makes the bike just so much easier to handle, both in city traffic and carving corners through ghats around Pune. Though, depends on the purpose one has in mind, i wanted something that i could use as a daily drive and high speed runs over the weekend.

Quote:
Though the charm has been removed at the higher end of the RPM range for the Indian version, did any one try to do a test drive and compare the mid-range performance of both ST3 and ER6n ? As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am seeing ER6n dominating the mid-range (until close to 8500 RPM) and this is the case for the 106ps version of ST3.. I only hope they haven't compromised anything on the mid-range.
There is also the extra cylinder and how smooth the Striple engine is when delivering similar torque to Er6n. Of course, if low- to mid-range and normal city driving is the purpose, i would not look beyond the Er6n.
A_v_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 16:35   #611
BHPian

Even though temporary, this will be one more reason to prefer Z8.

Quote:
A majority of automobile manufacturers in India are on a price increase spree due to the hike in the excise duty. However, Kawasaki India has gone ahead and is offering a Rs 55,000 discount on their popular middleweight motorcycle, the Z800. This will bring down the price of the Z800 to Rs 7.35 lakh (ex-showroom Pune) and will be effective till the end of March, this year.

Kawasaki has revealed that the discount for the Z800 is a result of a price cut in Thailand. As the Z800 models sold in India are directly imported as CBUs from Thailand, Kawasaki has gone ahead and passed on the benefits directly to the Indian customers, instead of continuing with the old price and earning more profits.
http://www.bikewale.com/news/17213-k...-rs-55000.html

It's a good move by Kawasaki to pass on the benefits. How often do we really see things like this in Indian market? In a way, it is totally opposite to Triumph's dishonest attitude.

PS This post has no intention of offending Triumph owners' sentiments
Mods, please move if this is in an inappropriate thread.

Last edited by theredliner : 8th January 2015 at 16:38.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:07   #612
BHPian

Will there be any similar price cuts on the Z250 and the ER-6n from Kawasaki?
Old 8th January 2015, 17:07   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Even though temporary, this will be one more reason to prefer Z8.

http://www.bikewale.com/news/17213-k...-rs-55000.html

It's a good move by Kawasaki to pass on the benefits. How often do we really see things like this in Indian market? In a way, it is totally opposite to Triumph's dishonest attitude.
This could be a game by kawasaki to sell more Z800 and taking advantage of triumph recent fiasco.
I guess existing owners like me, made a mistake by buying it early
Old 8th January 2015, 17:37   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Deliveries and test rides for the 6n are yet to commence in Blr.
Deliveries have started. In fact, we have a rider from the other BHP forum who got it about a week back and has completed 1k kms already.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:37   #615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
This could be a game by kawasaki to sell more Z800 and taking advantage of triumph recent fiasco.
I guess existing owners like me, made a mistake by buying it early
Ask for a refund, like Suzuki did for inzuma .

Z800 sales numbers are not great, so i guess they need to do this. Which is a realistic price also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks