Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 15:06   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

This would amount to cheating customers. How can they publish (misleading) information on their websites and brochures and then say it's detuned?

I'm disappointed with this attitude from Triumph and hoping that they resolve this in the interest of existing and prospective customers.
This is what exactly i was saying to my friends(one of them owns a speed triple).But as of now whatever information we have got is from the dealership who themselves dont have clarity on whether the bikes they already sold are "detuned or not".
So i feel we should reseve comments on the speculation that they have already sold detuned models silently till we hear directly from Triumph India.
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 15:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Doc, as far as I know, there aren't any engine breakdown cases reported, due the fuel quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
But so far, this has been the only isolated case
I'm sorry for the note of healthy cynicism (and skepticism) here guys, but how do either of you know that, or can say for certain?

Ricci, you base your assumption on the fact that the numbers of Triumphs sold all over India are so few, that you would surely have heard about something if something were to have happened.

I find that really hard to accept.

Last edited by ebonho : 18th November 2014 at 15:17.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'm sorry for the note of healthy cynicism (and skepticism) here guys, but how do either of you know that, or can say for certain?

I find that really hard to accept.
Re-phrasing what I meant, yes I am certain that this is the only isolated case of engine failure as far as the Bengaluru bikes are concerned. Rest of India, I cannot comment
hifisharu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 15:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Re-phrasing what I meant, yes I am certain that this is the only isolated case of engine failure as far as the Bengaluru bikes are concerned. Rest of India, I cannot comment
Bent valve stems was exactly what was happening to low capacity bikes across brands (but sen more in some) in Pune some years ago. Linked to some change in petrol composition.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 20:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Interesting news! Looks like this makes it easier for few of us when it comes to VFM bike Ninja 650 would sell more.

And if I remember right, you get remaps with Arrows right? And this too is a detuned one?
Old 19th November 2014, 15:52   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Mod Note: All posts on the detune topic have been moved to an independent thread. This is a serious development!

Thanks to BHPian Sagarpadaki for suggesting the same
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

The Move to detune the bikes is seriously shocking. I don't understand what all this hoopla is about bad fuel. I recently went for a 3500+ trip with the Bonnie covering Delhi and all of Rajasthan, and even went upto the Pakistan border. I had to top up with fuel in a bottle from a local shop in the desert in a dire circumstance, and the Bonnie took it in its stride. It had a lil misfire for about 10 seconds in total, compared to the two bullets which almost died and had to get their carbs cleaned at the next stop.

I reached back to cochin, and the bike has been running smoothly again. No knocking or any other symptoms of bad fuel.

If this is a genuine news, i guess this is a case of overreaction by the manufacturer, just like how fiat screwed up the punto with its 195mm GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

And if I remember right, you get remaps with Arrows right? And this too is a detuned one?
The remap with the arrows is not really well sorted. It has serious low end jerking issues and the power delivery is not consistent.

I'm running the stock map with no issues after various experiments with the arrow map in the Bonnie. This is with the 2X2 Arrows btw
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-gopr4090.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 19th November 2014 at 16:12.
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Checkout link where Zigwheels compared Benelli TNT 899 power figures with Z800 and ST. They have quietly mentioned 79PS and 57NM for ST. This was posted on 27-Oct-14.
I would expect triumph to end this suspense as it would severely dent their brand image.

Last edited by djay99 : 19th November 2014 at 16:35.
djay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anyways, I agree its always safe to wait it out and make an informed decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

The remap with the arrows is not really well sorted. It has serious low end jerking issues and the power delivery is not consistent.

I'm running the stock map with no issues after various experiments with the arrow map in the Bonnie. This is with the 2X2 Arrows btw
Thanks for bringing that to notice, Jay. That's another reason to be worried: that means the remap is a generic map that hasn't been tuned keeping in mind this country's fuel conditions.

Avi, I believe you're running a remap as well. Feel anything similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Checkout link where Zigwheels compared Benelli TNT 899 power figures with Z800 and ST. They have quietly mentioned 79PS and 57NM for ST. This was posted on 27-Oct-14.
I would expect triumph to end this suspense as it would severely dent their brand image.
Yes, I had seen the Striple figures on the website since quite a while back, but rubbished it as a typo since the figures for the other bikes were correct. However, cause for worry arose when figures for the Bonnie, Speed and Daytona were also reduced. And worst part is, the dealership has no clue at all! They say they'll get back in a couple of days, every time.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The Move to detune the bikes is seriously shocking. I don't understand what all this hoopla is about bad fuel. I recently went for a 3500+ trip with the Bonnie covering Delhi and all of Rajasthan, and even went upto the Pakistan border. I had to top up with fuel in a bottle from a local shop in the desert in a dire circumstance, and the Bonnie took it in its stride. It had a lil misfire for about 10 seconds in total, compared to the two bullets which almost died and had to get their carbs cleaned at the next stop.

I reached back to cochin, and the bike has been running smoothly again. No knocking or any other symptoms of bad fuel.

If this is a genuine news, i guess this is a case of overreaction by the manufacturer, just like how fiat screwed up the punto with its 195mm GC.

That's one road trip most would envy. This also proves how good Triumph Bonnie is.

Now the question is, was your detuned or not? Being one of the first in Kerala, I think your would be a stock one.

Also, your feedback on Arrows are similar to the explanation the Triumph guys told me; stock map works best with 2x2 Arrows.

@ dreamseller: avi's is not on stock map.

Quote:

:( Ninja 650 makes sense.

Last edited by jkdas : 19th November 2014 at 16:55.
Old 19th November 2014, 17:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
:( Ninja 650 makes sense.
N650 makes sense but come July-15 and you can have CBR650F with I4 engine at around 5 to 5.5L Ex-showroom. Check this out http://www.zigwheels.com/upcoming-la...ly-2015/20260/
Old 19th November 2014, 17:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, some of the journos go to the website and copy/paste what they see. It could be that as well

All said, if this is true, Triumphs have done a hara-kiri. It is like Jazz Pricing making i20 sell like crazy. Now N800 will be super VFM.
Old 19th November 2014, 17:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
N650 makes sense but come July-15 and you can have CBR650F with I4 engine at around 5 to 5.5L Ex-showroom. Check this out http://www.zigwheels.com/upcoming-la...ly-2015/20260/
At the risk of going OT, if Autocar is to be believed, it can be earlier than that.

Quote:
Honda is also working towards bringing in its fully faired CBR650F sportbike by around March 2015, assembled in india and coming into the country as a CKD import.
Link to Source

Last edited by dreamseller : 19th November 2014 at 18:00.
Old 19th November 2014, 18:17   #44
BHPian

How is a motorcycled detuned by this margin ? Does it involves only remapping the fuel supply ECU or involves some mechanical modification as well ?

And is this only within certain markets or global website showing same power/torque figures as well ? if yes then question begs why a google search returns absolutely no news related to this detune , after a week one would think cycleworld or someone similar would have speculated on the reason by now . Not to mention international forums , this is a very popular bike and this is hardly a routine behavior by any manufacturer to be not newsworthy , if I read correctly , street triple bike has been detuned by around 25BHP !!!
Old 19th November 2014, 19:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
How is a motorcycled detuned by this margin ? Does it involves only remapping the fuel supply ECU or involves some mechanical modification as well ?
I guess it could be a new ECU map reducing number of horses. Triumph can give us more details.

Quote:
And is this only within certain markets or global website showing same power/torque figures as well ? if yes then question begs why a google search returns absolutely no news related to this detune , after a week one would think cycleworld or someone similar would have speculated on the reason by now . Not to mention international forums , this is a very popular bike and this is hardly a routine behavior by any manufacturer to be not newsworthy , if I read correctly , street triple bike has been detuned by around 25BHP !!!
AFAIK few markets like Brazil & now India (If it isn't rumour) have these bikes in a lower state of tune.

Since triumph india website was recently updated with revised power figures, international magazine will wait for an official confirmation from triumph.
At the moment it could a typo or could be true as well.

But my real worry is why are they doing it now. If it is because of a severe engine issue then existing owners might face this issue as well and they need to think about this and demand an explanation from triumph.

Last edited by djay99 : 19th November 2014 at 19:15.

Most Viewed