Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2014, 12:33   #1
DipantS

Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Looks like Triumph India has gone absolute nuts by detuning their entire range. :(

The new BHP figures for STriple looks absolutely ridiculous. I wonder why anyone would spend 9 Lacks for such a underpowered and detuned machine.

Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-excel1.png

Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-excel2.png

Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-excel.png

Last edited by Aditya : 29th November 2014 at 13:21. Reason: Adding screen grabs, excel sheet for reference
  (10) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 18:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipantS View Post
Looks like Triumph India has gone absolute nuts by detuning their entire range. :(

The new BHP figures for STriple looks absolutely ridiculous. I wonder why anyone would spend 9 Lacks for such a underpowered and detuned machine.

I seriously thought you were joking - I went and checked the Triumph website and it shows 79 PS Unbelievable!

I am hoping it is an issue with the website than anything else..

----

EDIT: Bonnevile moved from 68 to 61 :-) This is terrible news

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 15th November 2014 at 18:18.
Old 15th November 2014, 19:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipantS View Post
I thought you were joking and then found it to be true. I am not sure whether its a typo since quite a few models have been detuned.

Street triple- 79PS (105 earlier) and 57NM (68 earlier).
Speed Triple- 127PS (134 earlier) and 105NM (111 earlier).
Daytona makes 118PS now.

I wish its a typo as why will they detune to such an extent (ST) that they will give competitors a reason to smile.

Last edited by djay99 : 15th November 2014 at 19:33.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 19:38   #4
BHPian

Those figures for the Street Triple are nuts. If it isn't a website error, they have some explaining to do.
Old 16th November 2014, 03:32   #5
BHPian

I sincerely hope that's a typo man! I've almost finalized on the Striple and those figures are scaring me now. Seems like I'd be better off getting a Ninja 650 in this case.
Old 16th November 2014, 07:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I thought you were joking and then found it to be true. I am not sure whether its a typo since quite a few models have been detuned.

Street triple- 79PS (105 earlier) and 57NM (68 earlier).
Speed Triple- 127PS (134 earlier) and 105NM (111 earlier).
Daytona makes 118PS now.

I wish its a typo as why will they detune to such an extent (ST) that they will give competitors a reason to smile.
Perhaps this is to support the lower octane rating which is widely available in India. Still a huge difference. Unfortunately, this also locks out people who do have access to Speed 97.
In any case, if the bike has a knock sensor (most modern ECUs do), they shouldnt need to do this.
TheCelestial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 19:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
Perhaps this is to support the lower octane rating which is widely available in India. Still a huge difference. Unfortunately, this also locks out people who do have access to Speed 97.
In any case, if the bike has a knock sensor (most modern ECUs do), they shouldnt need to do this.
I don't this they need to detune the engines for the fuel compatibility issues.As far as i know there is no way one can stick to speed 97 all the while unless the rider decides not to ride for more than 200kms one way from the city(Ex: hyderabad has just one speed 97 petrol bunk and don't remember seeing it anywhere else in the state)

Even the litre class super bikes(r1,blade,rsv4..etc)do run fine without any knocking issues with the normal fuel(as long is it is a from a reputed petrol bunk and unadulterated),I know a handful of such bikes which have done more than 10k kms.However you do feel difference when you fill the speed 97(smoother).
My FZ1 has done close to 28k kms of which i filled speed 97 very few times(10 times at the best).Bottom line is they need not do this just for the sake of Fuel!

On a different note, based on my experience with Speed triple, daytona i don't think the decrease in the power shouldnt matter much as its the power delivery which makes them desirable when compared to competitors.However i feel Street triple is going to suffer the most.
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 19:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
I don't this they need to detune the engines for the fuel compatibility issues.As far as i know there is no way one can stick to speed 97 all the while unless the rider decides not to ride for more than 200kms one way from the city(Ex: hyderabad has just one speed 97 petrol bunk and don't remember seeing it anywhere else in the state)

Even the litre class super bikes(r1,blade,rsv4..etc)do run fine without any knocking issues with the normal fuel(as long is it is a from a reputed petrol bunk and unadulterated),I know a handful of such bikes which have done more than 10k kms.However you do feel difference when you fill the speed 97(smoother).
My FZ1 has done close to 28k kms of which i filled speed 97 very few times(10 times at the best).Bottom line is they need not do this just for the sake of Fuel!

On a different note, based on my experience with Speed triple, daytona i don't think the decrease in the power shouldnt matter much as its the power delivery which makes them desirable when compared to competitors.However i feel Street triple is going to suffer the most.
I know. Speed 97 is not even available in Pune and we have a large number of SBKs here. I personally too, have not faced any problem.

However, Triumph may have done it as an extra precaution. Because outside this and a typo I cant think of any other reason they would do this.

I agree, the Striple seems to have been hit the most. Almost 25% hit in power.
TheCelestial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 13:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The Striple figures, if true, don't make sense at all! To give a perspective, the ER-6n retailing at roughly 5.5L OTR churns out 72PS and 64Nm. I agree it doesn't have ABS and USD forks, and weighs some 16 odd kilos more (compared to the Striple) with fluids. But the price difference being that of the cost of an entry level hatchback is staggering to say the least. I desperately hope this turns out to be a hoax call, otherwise I might have to say goodbye to Triumph for now.
Old 17th November 2014, 13:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I know. Speed 97 is not even available in Pune and we have a large number of SBKs here. I personally too, have not faced any problem.

However, Triumph may have done it as an extra precaution. Because outside this and a typo I cant think of any other reason they would do this.

Speed 97 has always been available in Pune at the COCO Pump bang opposite the RTO. I have always used Speed 97 for my R1. This was circa 2007-2008
Nowadays, I use the regular petrol for my 390 but have filled 97 a couple of times. Last time I filled 97, it was about Rs 106-107/- per litre.
Old 17th November 2014, 13:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
I desperately hope this turns out to be a hoax call, otherwise I might have to say goodbye to Triumph for now.
While iam sure respective city folks are reaching out to Triumph dealership to find out if this is a hoax call or done for some reason. Information should come out sometime later this week

In the meantime, if your convinced on the Stripple, why don't you buy it immediately (provided they have stock)

All this talk is for 2015 models which will not come before Feb/Mar 2015
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
In the meantime, if your convinced on the Stripple, why don't you buy it immediately (provided they have stock)

All this talk is for 2015 models which will not come before Feb/Mar 2015
Might make more sense to wait a bit, mobike008. On your Bonnie thread there was a poster who said that since Triumph use a July-June FY, there's a good chance that the 2015 models are the ones being sold right now.

If that is the case and the numbers are not a typo, a hasty booking (especially of the Street Triple) could see the customer landed with an emasculated imitation of the original that they fell in love with.

More info needed all round before any actions can be taken, IMHO.
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrain View Post
Speed 97 has always been available in Pune at the COCO Pump bang opposite the RTO. I have always used Speed 97 for my R1. This was circa 2007-2008
Nowadays, I use the regular petrol for my 390 but have filled 97 a couple of times. Last time I filled 97, it was about Rs 106-107/- per litre.
When was the last time you filled up ? Is it available now? Because everyone I asked told me its not and that everyone uses regular fuel. So I never even bothered to check.
Old 17th November 2014, 14:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When was the last time you filled up ? Is it available now? Because everyone I asked told me its not and that everyone uses regular fuel. So I never even bothered to check.
97 has not been available at RTO for some time now. I think it hardly sells anyways, so while the pumps saying 97 are still there, they never seem to be having stock.

On the topic of detuned Triumphs, one possibility which no one seems to be mentioning is engine failures which have been kept off the forums and other online communities.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy afoot, just that this is a very likely possibility when someone detunes an engine to this degree. And as someone mentioned, even SBKs run on normal pump gas .....
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
On the topic of detuned Triumphs, one possibility which no one seems to be mentioning is engine failures which have been kept off the forums and other online communities.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy afoot, just that this is a very likely possibility when someone detunes an engine to this degree. And as someone mentioned, even SBKs run on normal pump gas .....
You've piqued my curiosity, Doc - how would a manufacturer go about keeping news of failed engines off forums and communities? Not that I'm claiming that Triumph is doing this, but am wondering how they could control that kind of information when all it takes is for a miffed customer to get online and bang out a post.

Most Viewed