Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:49   #61
BHPian

Re: 4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Develish View Post
I own a Z800 and I can attest to its wide versatility. You can drop the bike in to 6th gear as low as 40kmph and it pulls along beautifully without needing to change gears. From 60 I have taken it to over 200 kmph and it is effortless.

I also own a CB600 Hornet and in comparison the Z800 stance is high. I am 5'8" and it is tough planting both my legs on the ground. One leg, yes. The steering turning radius also leaves a little to be desired when compared to the Hornet.

The Street Triple is a good bike. Definitely agile, but then it that size range there are quite a few bikes to look at. And the Z800 is no slouch.

In terms of refinement, there is no comparison. The Z800 is pure butter. Silk smooth and keeps going. Sorry but Triumph does not Triumph in my books.

Also the attitude of the dealers and the company needs to be examined closely. I found Kawasaki company officials very involved and caring. May be since my bike was the first on the road in India.

Again here the Triumph sales organisation does not score as high. And this is despite the Triumph dealer in Bangalore being a friend and a member of our Rotary Club.
I know a few who had bad kind of experience with Kawasaki and good kind with Triumph. Again same for Harley. I guess it is upto luck in India. They serve when they are happy and not when they are not.

I guess it is upto us to make sure we get a decent service by doing our homework.
Old 1st April 2015, 01:28   #62
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Good News for anyone who has booked a Z800 and is awaiting delivery (especially in green). A batch of 36 Z800's have been imported from Thailand on 27th March - 26 green and 10 black. Goes to show how popular the green one is over the black.

Source : Zauba
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 15:26   #63
BHPian

New bike crisis - Which one?

We all know that feeling, our current ride is inadequate, and we have to consider replacing instead of repairing. I have reached such an impasse, though normally i would have already reached a decision.
Note: This is going to be a long-ish post, as this is my first major thread.

2010 - This was when i first moved to Chennai, India. Used to live in Kuwait earlier. Always an obssessive Petrolhead and Enthusiast at heart. I was always proud of the fact that i could recognise any car on the roads of Kuwait regardless of which angle i saw it. Anyway, we had to choose a car, but due to 11th grade school, i was cut off from my opinion.
My parents went ahead and bought a Ford Figo 1.2 Titanium. I have to admit, it was a wonderful car. I believe it's RWD, and the many burnouts i attempted on it (closed roads, of course), was brilliant. The Ford served it's purpose and put a considerable 25000 kms for the 4 years that we had it for.

2011 - For my 12th grade tuitions, i decided to get a scooter for commuting purposes. We finalised on the Honda Dio. I still possess it, and i feel it is one of the best, reliable scooters around. It needs a desperate tyre change, as tramlining in short highway routes is very scary. And it's plastic body makes sure you feel the most insecure person on the road, due to high instability.

2013 - A pre-birthday gift! I had been begging my parents for months for a bike. And finally they agreed to get me the White/Blue Yamaha R15 V2.0. It was a thing of beauty, and really looked like a miniature R1 to the untrained eye.
It was one of the best things to ride ever. And i made sure i never stepped out of the house without the helmet (Safety First). However i had never heard of ATGATT. And sadly, about half a year later, i met with a silly accident. At a speed of about 60 kmph on the Thirumangalam-Mogappair road, I hit a drunkard crossing the road and fell down. At this point, i dont remember much (Dont worry, i wasn't DUI ). Next thing i remember is me struggling to stand up, and the first thing i see is my battered body, and the front fairing of my bike hanging off. I was filled with horror. Bike accident, mallu parents, do the math. A few months later, after another minor accident, my parents sold it off. It was like a lost love.

Here are a few photos.

4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-311628_542986439076770_524699337_n.jpg

4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-906468_515385671836847_1524216026_o.jpg

4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-971625_542986529076761_234029657_n.jpg

2014 - Will share link later. Some editing in process.

So mostly, by this week, something should be finalised. And i made it clear to my parents that i won't be getting another car, but a Superbike instead. They half-heartedly denied, but i finally got to convince them. So i made a comprehensive list of the gear required, as priority :

Biking Gear list :

1. ASPIDA - Helios Sport Mesh Jacket (www.spartanprogear.com) - INR 6800
2. ASPIDA - Proteus Mesh Pants (www.spartanprogear.com) - INR 6300
3. ZEUS TORNADO ZX-1 WP Boots (www.zeusmotorcyclegear.com) - INR 7200
4. ZEUS ALL TERRAIN JACKET (www.zeusmotorcyclegear.com) - INR 7200
5. AGV K3-SV Top Elements (www.bikegear.in) or BLR - INR 21500
6. AGV K3-SV Visor (www.bikegear.in) or BLR x2 - INR 7800
7. ZEUS COOLMAX BALACLAVA (www.zeusmotorcyclegear.com) - INR 850
8. Alpinestars Neck Warmer (www.sbkstore.in) - INR 1300
9. Alpinestars Apex Drystar Glove (www.planetdsg.com) - INR 6000
10. Alpinestars SP-8 Gloves (www.bikegear.in) - INR 7000
11. Bionic Knee Protector - Outerwear (www.cramster.in) - INR 2000
12. iPhone 5S Mobile Mount (www.rynoxgears.com) - INR 750
13. Rynox Nomad v2.0 Saddlebags (www.rynoxgears.com) - INR 4699
14. Rynox Optimus-T Tailbag (www.rynoxgears.com) - INR 2750
15. Arrow Carbon Fibre Exhaust (www.bikegear.in) - INR 30000
16. Evotech Performance Radiator Guard (www.sbkstore.in) - INR 9140
17. LighTech Front Fork Axle Sliders (www.sbkstore.in) - INR 3680
18. Evotech Performance Handlebar ends (www.sbkstore.in) - INR 5000
19. Puig Windscreen (www.bikegear.in) - INR 10400
20. Tundra Winter Gloves (www.cramster.in) - INR 2000
21. RD Moto Springed Crash Protector (www.bachoomotors.com) - INR 9000
22. Folding Clutch Levers (www.bikegear.in) - INR 7750
23. Hydration Bladder (www.outdoortravelgear.com) - INR 2700
24. LYCOT COMPRESSION TOP FULL SLEEVE BLACK (www.amazon.in) - INR 535
25. Lycot Compression Full Tights Black (www.amazon.in) - INR 400
26. Tactical Multifunctional Headwear-Black (www.amazon.in) - INR 200
27. Men's Riding Shorts (www.ldcomfort.com) - INR 2700
28. Extras - INR 1500

Total - INR 1,69,175

As you might have exclaimed once again, i'm not Mallu Richie Rich, and these are really necessary accessories.

And now, for the bikes considered:

Kawasaki Z800 Black - 8.5L OTR + Accessories extra

This still is my prime choice. Because it is one of the most versatile bikes i have ever seen. Plus it looks amazing in the flesh. Only problem was seat height, which can be adjusted later, though. It still tops my list.

Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight Black - 9.8L OTR + Accessories extra

This is one of the finest bikes i've ever ridden. It just blew me away and my heart throbbed for it. It's the only perfect Harley for me (I'm 5'8). But the stingy tank and non-existent suspension still makes me think twice. Dad is a Harley fan, so this could be one of the final choices.

Benelli TNT600GT Black - 6.5L OTR + Accessories extra

I have never heard about this marquee, but it indeed got me thinking. Who doesn't like an underdog. Plus 27 LITRE FUEL TANK, had my attention. But still, it's too bulky, plus reliability concerns tend to plague my mind. Well, it's still a low cost option.

Benelli TNT600i Black - 6L OTR + Accessories extra

The last option on my list, least expensive of the lot, but still not a soft option. Inline-4, with those twin exhausts made me consider this. But still, last resort. And reliability concerns.

So finally, fellow respected BHP-ians, being a newbie and no longer a teenager, help me finalise what to do, however desperate and frustrated i sound. Your opinions are much valued.
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 16:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: New bike crisis - Which one?

Not a bike person at all. Don't even know how to ride one since I never had the opportunity But some of the gear you listed seem quite unnecessary like why do you need so many different kinds of gloves, different jackets, a carbon fiber exhaust, a neck warmer etc.? One thing I do know is that a Superbike is scary quick (nearly had an accident at high speeds riding pillion on a friend's R1 which he was showing off that day since he recently fitted a two brothers exhaust) so first try mastering the bike before adding more power in the form of an exhaust kit etc.

Lastly, if I ever learnt how to ride I bike I always imagined myself on either an MV Agusta, a Green Ninja or the muscular looking Ducati Monster Any reason you have not considered the monster? It seems to be within your budget.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th May 2015 at 17:02.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 16:58   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Not a bike person at all. Don't even know how to ride one since I never had the opportunity But some of the gear you listed seem quite unnecessary like why do you need so many different kinds of gloves, a carbon fiber exhaust, a neck warmer etc.? One thing I do know is that a Superbike is scary quick (nearly had an accident at high speeds riding pillion on a friend's R1 which he was showing off that day since he recently fitted a two brothers exhaust) so first try mastering the bike before adding more power in the form of an exhaust kit etc.

Lastly, if I ever learnt how to ride I bike I always imagined myself on either an MV Agusta, a Green Ninja or the muscular looking Ducati Monster Any reason you have not considered the monster? It seems to be within your budget.
It's actually not different kinds of gloves. One is just a spare, the other is for regular use. Winter gloves are just in case i travel long distance to Leh (Biker's paradise ).
Yes i'm removing the neck warmer. And CF Exhaust because the difference between that and a Titanium Arrow exhaust is merely marginal. And i'll be fitting it only after 1000 kms or so, after run-in period.

Ducati Monster will be my pick if dad agrees to extend the budget, which right now itself is lucrative. Also the Monster comes with Traction Control and Riding modes. And it's truly a looker .

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2015 at 11:45. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
Old 12th May 2015, 10:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post

Riding Gears
Total - INR 1,69,175
Your riding gears list looks quite comprehensive and looks like you take your safety seriously. There is no need for 2 to 3 pairs of riding gears for different seasons. You have a decent budget so my suggestion to you would be to buy a single pair of good quality and certified riding gears. Some options are mesh perforated riding jackets from either Alpinestars, Dainese, RST or Rjays. Similarly you can choose mesh riding pants from the same brands. If you are considering knee protectors then do not look beyong Dainese as they are the best in business, I am saying this as I too use the Cramster Bionic Knee Guards and I'm planning to upgrade to Dainese after listening to real life user experiences and reviews. Depending on the model of riding jacket and pant you will get winter and rain liners for the same. Coming back to the gloves you can again choose one perforated and one waterproof riding gloves with gauntlet from the above mentioned brands. As for riding boots you can opt from the above mentioned brands apart from SIDI and Joe Rocket. Lastly choice of helmet is very important especially the certification and rating they have like DOT, ECE, SNELL, SHARP Rating, etc. some good options are HJC, MT, SHARK, Nolan, Shoei, Arai, Airoh, AGV, etc.

Quote:
And now, for the bikes considered:
Kawasaki Z800
Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight
Benelli TNT600GT
Benelli TNT600i
Ducati Monster
Out of the motorcycles you have chosen three are inline 4 cyl and two are V twins. All the above mentioned motorcycles are very different from each other barrig the Benelli's which use the same engine with minor tweaks and a different body. If I were you I would pick the Kawasaki Z800 for the versatility and VFM it offers over the others, although Benelli TNT 600 GT is close but it is a relatively unknown brand in India with support from DSK group which is also a partner for Hyosung S.Korea. Besides this you first need to decide what kind of riding are you going to do and the purpose which will define your choice. Since you will be paying a huge amount for the above mentioned bikes you also need to consider regular servicing, spare parts availability and after sales support. Out of the four Kawasaki is the oldest in India and offer good products. I suggest you read some of the Kawasaki Z800 ownership threads that will help you decide and seal the deal.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 11:25   #67
BHPian

1. You missed the neck brace to the gear list.

2. Check out other places for the things you have mentioned you are planning to get from sbkstore and bikegear. most of the things over priced in those places, especially sbkstore. Things like Evotech, Puig can be procured for less from their authorised Indian dealer.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 12:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Buy a perforated leather riding suit. End of story.
We tour in those suits.
We ride in the summer/Winter in those suits.
We also wear it all day on the track too. summer/Winter.
They are actually very comfortable.

The actual places you should be looking at for gear/accessories are :-

1) Planet dsg
2) Performance racing store (our favorite)
3) JV promoto
4) Bachoo motors
5) Ulimate auto impex( Nolan Helmets)
danlalan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 12:24   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
1. You missed the neck brace to the gear list.

2. Check out other places for the things you have mentioned you are planning to get from sbkstore and bikegear. most of the things over priced in those places, especially sbkstore. Things like Evotech, Puig can be procured for less from their authorised Indian dealer.
Could you please PM the Puig Indian dealer's contact if you have it?
And yes i shall add the neck brace
Old 12th May 2015, 12:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
We tour in those suits.
What about riding in the rains mate?
Old 12th May 2015, 12:26   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
We tour in those suits.
We also wear it all day on the track too. summer/Winter.
They are actually very comfortable.

The actual places you should be looking at for gear/accessories are :-

1) Planet dsg
2) Performance racing store (our favorite)
3) JV promoto
4) Bachoo motors
5) Ulimate auto impex( Nolan Helmets)
But perforated leather suits can get wet right? Plus they're quite expensive a piece. Hence i decided to go for a mesh riding suit for daily use and four seasons jacket for touring. Not a good idea?

Performance racing store has taken down their website for maintenance. So i'm having to adjust meanwhile.

EDIT: Oh wait they're back online.

Last edited by vishal.jayakuma : 12th May 2015 at 12:35.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:54   #72
BHPian

http://www.puigusa.com/distributors-...c163en/g3-h40/

Visit the websites for the brands and find the distributors listed. Or email them on their contact us and they will inform you about their distributors in India.

Adding to the list:
1. Baycity Speed Shop
2. Retro rides

Last edited by Sojogator : 12th May 2015 at 12:57.
Old 12th May 2015, 13:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
What about riding in the rains mate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
But perforated leather suits can get wet right? Plus they're quite expensive a piece. Hence i decided to go for a mesh riding suit for daily use and four seasons jacket for touring. Not a good idea?
They get packed up and stored for the monsoons, just like any other leather product. Everyone has their own preferences..so see what suits ur need and what you are comfortable in. The leather suit..well you can't ride with it to work, unless you will be carrying extra cloths. Summer and the leather jacket will make you feel the pinch. Additional baggage with the suit are shoes. Mesh riding suit with rain inserts would be perfect. Oh, i forgot. Leather during an accident would graze a layer while textile could tear depending on type of fall. At the end none of the two are built to save a person, they are built to reduce the impact on the body, leather does more and textile does less.

You can call Zain of PRS on 09819643358
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 16:26   #74
Senior - BHPian

True Speedy.
No riding in the rains. Most of us wait it out for those months.
The risk factor only doubles in the rains. Slippery roads, stagnant water, aqua planing, Low visibility etc.

36k for the AGV sport bullet. Leather,perforated. That's the starting range.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:25   #75
BHPian

Today was a really long day. Most of oweing to the extra hot Chennai summer+traffic. And i could have chosen to stay at home, but then i realised that it's time to test ride and review three potential bikes that i might buy soon.

1. Harley Davidson Iron 883/Forty-Eight

Left at 1:15pm from home on my Honda Dio. Reached the Harley showroom around 1:45pm, which is at Wallace Garden Road, Nungambakkam (Opposite Subway). And my eyes automatically scanned for a Harley Forty-Eight, the first and only Harley i had ever ridden, and also the one that blew my socks off. I was a little taken aback when i couldn't locate it.
Entered the showroom and started checking out the bikes on display. It took quite a while for the showroom guys to notice as there were quite a few people there to check out the bikes.
I am a person who does his homework before going. So i knew exactly what to ask for, and i always expect the salesperson to be to the point, too. And Coromandel Harley delivered in that.
He asked me for my license, customary. I sat on the Iron 883 and checked it out as that was the only potential bike right now, and was also available for test ride. He also informed me that Forty-Eight was priced at 10.4 lakhs on-road and at that moment, i let the dream go.
He finally arrived with the keys (Nair, mallu of course). He told me he'll lead the route on a Street 750 and i had to follow him on the Iron. Once seated, i realised that i liked the seating position, it was not quite extreme as the Forty-Eight, so it was good for city and long rides as well.
Nair told me to wait below the slope till he brings the Street 750 out. And that was when I realised the biggest issue for the Iron - the footpegs and mid-controls. They were far too high for a comfortable city ride, and this is amplified by the weight of the bike in traffic conditions.
Nair fired up the Street and i was genuinely surprised at the sound. It was quite good, Screaming Eagles - I found out later. Then once i started following, a few things became clear soon. The Iron 883 wasn't a perfect motorcycle for me like the Forty-Eight was. Mid controls really ruined it, but can be changed to forward controls. If the tank has to be swapped for the Superlow's tank, the handlebars would have to be changed to the Superlow's, too. Or a drag bar, which seemed like the better option.
Anyway, back to the test ride, the acceleration of the Iron was like a freight-train, a core characteristic of all Harleys. The bucketloads of torque made sure that highways would be the forte of this bike. But then, this is the heart of the city and we hit traffic straight away. One thing surprised me - We were riding in the sweltering hot sun, but i didn't feel the heat of the bike for some reason. I felt a little bit of it in the Forty-Eight i tested a few months back, and literally got burnt in my friend's Fat Boy. So this was a good thing - the heat. Now what was not good? Did i mention Mid-Controls? Yes it was a pain in the bottom to lift my leg that high from the ground every time we stopped in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and the weight didn't help. And now to the next major issue, the gearbox. It was quite notchy and also the clutch, though moderately weighted, didn't help much. So this motorcycle is best left to the highways and cities with manageable traffic. And this also led to a revelation - I need to hit the gym soon. The ride wasn't as harsh as i expected, and i like a little bit of harshness, because that's a true Harley. Handling wasn't great at all, due to the weight, and the size.
But all in all, the test ride wow-ed me. The bike is quite a machine, and i strongly recommend switching to Screaming Eagles exhaust or even better, Vance and Hines Big Radius for an authentic Harley experience. Also, switching to forward controls and drag bars are my recommendation, for a true Harley Experience (I also personaly love the Fat Bob).
But I still would miss the sledgehammer 1200cc V-Twin of the Forty-Eight, so i suppose the Iron is off the list.
4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-img_4926.jpg

2. Triumph Bonneville/Street Triple

Next up was Triumph - located at Ethiraj Salai, next to Jaguar Showroom. The showroom looked swanky, and i entered it to find that hardly anyone was there. The only salesperson walked up to me, shook my hand and asked me what i was looking for. I told him i wanted to take test rides of the Bonneville and Street Triple. He told me that Street Triple had gone for service and Bonnie was available. Nevertheless i asked him for the price, to which he said "7 lakhs on the road for Bonneville and 9.25 lakhs for the Street Triple". Ah, shucks! I didn't like the ST anyway, so it was now out of the list.
Now, to the Bonneville. To be honest, i wasn't a major fan of this bike. But seeing it in the flesh, it sort of made more sense than any bike i had seen. And it was a clean, timeless sort-of-design. And instinctively, i asked him for the white with Blue stripes, as seen in the thread below. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ides-home.html
To mine and his misfortune, he informed me that the particular colour isn't being supplied anymore. Ah, disappointment again. It was a beautiful colour.
I agreed to test ride the black version of the Bonnie.
NOTE: This was the base AS version i guess, not the T100.
Customary, i handed over my license. Surprisingly, he didn't ask me for a credit card - The Bangalore Triumph showroom asked me for one! Oh, also he asked me apprehensively if i had ridden a superbike before. I told him i had ridden a Yamaha R1, and a Harley a few minutes earlier, so not to worry
He seemed relieved and went ahead with the documentation.
He asked me to wear my helmet and wait while he took the bike out. And then he parked it on the road, and explained the controls as usual and also the route for the test ride. And then he gave me the green signal to go.
This time I was glad because i didn't have to follow anyone and it was a free test ride, void of worries.
And let me explain this feeling to all those people considering Bonnies. This motorcycle gives an amazing feeling, complimented by an amazing sound. I had read earlier on the forums that the exhaust note was quite muted. I strongly disagree. It was brilliant. A signature twin-cylinder sound. And the torque was manageable and a delight for a person like me, upgrading from a Yamaha R15. The exhaust note is sweet, and the gearbox is slick. Halway into the test ride, the already weak horn stopped working. But i remembered that this is a big twin-bike. I used the right hand on the throttle to clear traffic, and people scurried and stared. Despite the Royal Enfield front fascia, the bike managed to attract a lot of attention, mainly due to the noise. And i can't believe i'm actually saying this - But i don't think a change of exhausts is necessary.
The mirrors of the Bonnie are beautiful as well as functional. To a person who doesn't use mirrors much, this one offered A LOT of visibility and was beautifully shaped as well. The weight of this motorcycle, though 220+ kilos, was manageable and only puts pressure on your wrist at low speeds. Build up the speeds and the bike will reward you with crazy torque delivered in a great manner. But i found a major irritant in this motorcycle, when you turn the throttle off, the whole vehicle sort of brakes and stalls, and only continues at the pace when you maintain the throttle. The ride of the Bonnie is pretty good. In fact, almost car-like. The gel-padded seat gave extra comfort. The handling was really good as well, and it really gave me the fizz.
All in all, an amazing test ride of an amazing motorcycle.
Now to the major turn-off of this ride. The ending. Once i got off the bike, i realised that this bike deserves to be taken to amazing places and is a great companion. But also, i felt that this bike reflects only half of my personality.
Anyway i'm apologising in advance for the lack of photos, because the salesperson told me that Triumph UK sent an email to them stating that "Photos on test ride motorcycles are prohibited". I was utterly taken aback and i just kept mum. But i think i shall be writing to Triumph UK about this. I mean, HOW is anyone supposed to know how they look on a motorcycle and if it will suit their profile? This is also a major part of the decision making process.
So the Triumph accessories are very reasonably priced. That includes the jackets, too. All-in-all, a very good experience, but the salesperson didn't know most of the accessories' prices and didn't even offer me his visiting card. But he was prompt to send me an email of the quote for the Bonnie.
But everything apart, the whole test ride led me to thinking, could this better the Kwacker?
4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-img_4928.jpg
4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-img_4929.jpg

3. Kawasaki Z800

Next up was Kawasaki, which involved a pretty tiring ride all the way till Ashok Nagar, exposed to the full heat and stagnant traffic of Chennai. Luckily, i was on the Dio and it helped me get there at half the time that my car would generally take.
Finally i saw the green and black board. I've been here multiple times, so i was accustomed to it. Entered the premises and immediately spotted a Kawasaki ZX-10R in White and Lime Green livery - the 50th Anniversary colours. I was simply astounded, even thought i've seen this bike multiple times, it never fails to take my breath away.
The test bikes are usually parked in the lift area, and i saw a Z1000 being revved by a salesperson. The idling of the beast itself was quite loud by stock standards. In fact while going up the lift, it was reverberating all the way till the second floor.
Entered the showroom and saw the usual bikes, Versys 1000, ZX-10R, Ninja 1000, ZX-14R, Z1000 and finally, Z800. Since i've been here multiple times, i know each bike and how it feels to sit. The Z800, ironically, feels the most comfortable for me. And here's a fun fact - The seat feels lower every time i come to the showroom. I expected to tiptoe and realised that both my feet were perfectly on the ground. So no lowering kit required! Only test ride left to seal the deal now.
It was also the first time i was seeing the Versys 1000. It was a mammoth! Even though there was a ZX-14R, this felt bigger a Triumph Tiger!
I asked him for the test ride, and he gave me the standard answer saying showroom test rides are not available and only available on select days at a specified location. I told him that i had already come here multiple times and also received an email saying that i could take a showroom test ride. He agreed and asked me if i had a helmet, to which i said yes. He sorted out the formalities like license, signatures etc. and asked me to follow him.
And finally, after so long, i sat on the Z which i've been craving for so long. This time, with the engine on. To all those people who haven't listened to the sound of an inline-four while sitting on the saddle, please put it on your bucket list. The whole idea that you can control the bike listening to that sound, err.. MUSIC. It was simply astounding.
Now to the disappointing part. The salesperson was going to ride pillion behind me. I mean SERIOUSLY? Can't he just take the Z1000 and atleast lead the way? Two inline-four bikes on a test-ride would have made me sign the dotted line today itself. Nevertheless, i gingerly stepped out to the road. And immediately, realised what the true character of this bike was. The bike and me felt like one solid piece, forget the pillion salesman. It was an AMAZING piece of engineering, responded to my every throttle input. The brakes were brilliant, the sound of the inline-four, the damn-slick gearbox and the seating position. Everything was inch perfect. I felt as though the bike was tailor-made for me!
There is one slight issue though. The bike feels out-of-breath because of the extremely-short gearing, and a lot of times during the test ride, i was looking for a higher gear, even in sixth. So while this helps city riding, it will feel quite noisy and out-of-breath on the highway.
The ride, was quite absorbent, but the front heaviness showed while turning and on deeper potholes, it was quite rigid. But this also has an upside, the bike feels extremely stable at all speeds, and just twisting the throttle at any gear or speed, it will pick up and go like a missile. There is no shortage of power, and i feel there will be looking no further. This is the bike.
Unashamedly, i asked him for a picture to see how i'll look on the bike. Yes i need to hit the gym again.
Anyway this sealed the deal. Japanese it is. Kawasaki Z800. Time to get the finances sorted out.
4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-img_4930.jpg
4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-img_4931.jpg
4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs-img_4932.jpg

The whole point of this was to give everyone a general idea on how these bikes behave. Opinions may differ, but this is mine. There is no good or bad bike - Just a good or bad rider. Everything depends on whether the bike makes you feel at home (Sorry for the Harry Potter reference, it's like how the wand makes you feel). For me it's the Z800, could be young blood, or could be that the wizards of Kawasaki knew of my existence and tailored it to perfection.
Stop with the number crunching (atleast to some extent) and just go out there, ride the bike, if it makes you feel at home, just buy it and live the life. Everything isn't about practicality or refinement. Yes, the Kawasaki is very refined, but that might not be what someone else wants. So just go with the flow, and claim what's rightfully yours.
You get one life, live it to the fullest.

- Vishal Jayakumar
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks