Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 20:03   #61
BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
I always wanted the Bonnie too, but settled for the ER6n ....

....Lovely bike, nice thread. Keep riding.
Thanks Oreen!

I had read about your Bonnie dilemma and quite a logical one at that. I think you couldn't have gone wrong with either. I had contemplated the N650 for quite sometime but never even got to test ride it.

Hope you get to Bonniefied in 2018- it will be wonderful companion to your Er6n. I have my eyes set on the addition of a dual sport next- right about the 2018 time . Amen to our wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Rode to Dhanushkodi last weekend with 13 HOGs! Yup, I was the only Triumph rider.

I also got K&N few weeks ago for my Bonnie from US ( stock replacement). Was actually surprised at the size of the filter when I saw it.
That looks like a great trip, JKdas.

The Bonnie seems to be holding on its own amongst the 13 Harleys! Both in performance and style. I've had very similar experiences with fuel- no matter what the quality the bike's not given any issues at all. Any noticeable difference with the change in filter to K&N?

I've finally got a Stebel Nautilus horn but haven't got down to changing it. Will do it after the Ladakh trip. Did you finally upgrade the horn?

That reminds me- Triumph's Delhi Dealership is organising a Ladakh Circuit ride starting 22nd July. If anyone is interested it might be worth getting in touch with them. Great bunch of guys with some experienced staff riders. I have decided not to join it- plan to do a solo in August.

Cheers,
Sting
Old 9th July 2015, 11:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post

That looks like a great trip, JKdas.

The Bonnie seems to be holding on its own amongst the 13 Harleys! Both in performance and style. I've had very similar experiences with fuel- no matter what the quality the bike's not given any issues at all. Any noticeable difference with the change in filter to K&N?

I've finally got a Stebel Nautilus horn but haven't got down to changing it. Will do it after the Ladakh trip. Did you finally upgrade the horn?
Cheers,
Sting
It did I was leading the pack ( was #2) when we returned. Group riding is fun and helps other stay safe. Only issue is some tend to be slow and you have to respect that.

I think there is slight difference in low end torque and the misfires when you suddenly deaccelerate has become milder.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 19:27   #63
BHPian

El Caballo Blanco got it's share of media attention this Sunday in the Indian Express Magazine The Sunday Standard:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-picture1.png

Full article here:

http://epaper.newindianexpress.com/5...-2015#page/2/2

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 10:40   #64
BHPian

this is my most favorite thread. my wife and I are reading this together and totally loving every bit of your journey through the pics and writeups.
By the way, I saw you mentioned you want a dual sports. I rode the Tiger xrx yesterday, and it is pretty low compared to the XC. So, that's the ideal upgrade.
Oreen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 10:48   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: The Leh road-trip posts have been moved into a new thread - Link.

Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 09:39   #66
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Upgraded/upsized my front tyre to Pilot-2 120/70. It cost me 9k INR.
Front tyre burst ( but there was not drama) when I hit a pot hole at high speed. I guess speed/hole depth and angle at which it hit caused the tear ( a 2 inch tear).

Rear costs only 5.5k INR for upsize if I remember correctly.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 11:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Front tyre burst ( but there was not drama) when I hit a pot hole at high speed. I guess speed/hole depth and angle at which it hit caused the tear ( a 2 inch tear).

JK, you talking about upsize to Pilot Street 140/70? I just picked it up. Need to get it fitted. Inshallah this weekend.
Old 9th September 2015, 11:38   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

JK,

I really wish you could've stuck to Metz. May be at the speeds in India it will not matter much.

I was ones told by a Triumph engineer that the design freezing of new generation classics (post 2008 with EFI) was done with Metz on after testing may other brands.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:22   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
JK,

I really wish you could've stuck to Metz. May be at the speeds in India it will not matter much.

I was ones told by a Triumph engineer that the design freezing of new generation classics (post 2008 with EFI) was done with Metz on after testing may other brands.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Ram sir,
the grip of the Metz are terrible in the wet at low speed. I almost skid a couple of times on them at the start of the monsoon.

Water siping on the Michelins are much better, as per the feedback on the RAT forum.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:32   #70
BHPian

After the Ladakh trip (and all other touring) my experience with the Metzelers:

Regular tarmac use: The handling was good. No issues, punctures, unnecessary tyre squeals or noises and or air pressure reduction. I checked the air pressure every day and did not lose a single PSI. I did have to alter the pressure based on altitude and riding conditions/weight. The curvaceous roads were a pleasure to ride on even when we were laden to the max 200kgs. You can lean in with full confidence and the tires stick to the road like a leech.

Wet roads: Excellent! Not an iota of worry no matter how wet the road conditions were, even when we were fully laden with weight. (Surprisingly, this is very different from djpeesh's experience!)

Mud/Sandy Roads: Poor! the bike/tyres give no confidence on roads that have sand or mud on them. I think this could also have to do with the bike weight distribution, suspension and city oriented setup but I could be wrong. These parts were usually the most worrying; and there were lots of them!

I had a lot of worry with the softer compound of the Metzelers being put through the rocky Ladakh grind and the worry of a constant tyre cut played on my mind. Thankfully the tyres held up quite well throughout the trip.

djpeesh, Do you plan to keep a spare 17inch tube on your Bhutan trip? In retrospect, a tube is a necessary spare I could have carried to Ladakh.

JK, any noticeable change in riding? I’m guessing the upsize (both front and rear) does not need any alterations.I would have thought the rear would be more expensive than the front! Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:48   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
JK,

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Vendors are chosen largely by cost and delivery capabilities, specially for proprietary parts like tires, battery . that is why you see multi brands being supplied with vehicles that are high on volume .
Almost all tyres for tarmac will perform poorly in gravel, mud, slush and sand.
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 15:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JK, any noticeable change in riding? I’m guessing the upsize (both front and rear) does not need any alterations.I would have thought the rear would be more expensive than the front! Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Sting
I might have ridden 3 kms after I got it. I feel lot of difference with the new tyre. I had the bike delivered to me by Triumph personal and he did all the riding in heavy rain. He is pretty happy with the tyre.

I also feel that this tyre might not last like Metz by the looks of it after it did 220kms ( Cochin - Tvm ).
120's do make the bike look more mean.

Last edited by jkdas : 10th September 2015 at 15:38.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 17:24   #73
BHPian

Is there any particular reason why Bonnie people don't prefer any leg guards/frame sliders? I'm sure if aesthetics is a problem, that can be fixed with a nicely made guard.

Same goes for fork/swingarm sliders, haven't seen anybody even manufacturing them.

Or are all Bonnie owners riding Ninjas who never let their machines touch asphalt
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 17:32   #74
BHPian

Riderzone,

I'd say almost all Bonnie owners I know have leg guards. I got a Renntec guard added right before my Ladakh trip. I carried it as checked in luggage from a trip to UK. Here's a pic:

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-pathankot202.jpg

I have to confess, the triangular factory ones do not appear quite appealing to me.

djpeesh mentioned he's considering the SW guard before his next trip.

Unfortunately, not a lot of options available in India unless one can get it fabricated.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 17:42   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Riderzone,

I'd say almost all Bonnie owners I know have leg guards. I got a Renntec guard added right before my Ladakh trip. I carried it as checked in luggage from a trip to UK. Here's a pic:
I based my comments on observing this thread on TBhp, and even the one one which we are commenting right now, plus all the photos that I see on social media or Google!

What other accessories do Bonnie owners prefer? Bash plate, headlight protector etc.? Asking for a friend who is picking one up soon,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks