Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 16:41   #46

Re: Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review

Thanks for this post Rakesh. I got my around the same time (December 18th) and have been extremely happy with it. I haven't yet gone on a very long ride yet, but will do so pretty soon. Wanting to pick up some good gear before I go on one. Using it primarily for my commute on few days.

I too had a similar experience before a speed bump with the brakes locking up. I guess you have to learn to balance the brakes correctly. The problem is that the travel on the rear brake is a little more than the front brake (or at least it seems like that) and that can take some time to get used to it. It would have been a different experience all together if the brakes were responsive.

What do I do to be added to some of the groups at have been mentioned on this thread?
rajeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 17:05   #47
BHPian

Rajesh PM me your number and I'll get you added to the Bangalore and India street groups
rjun04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 21:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshb View Post
Wanting to pick up some good gear before I go on one. Using it primarily for my commute on few days.

I too had a similar experience before a speed bump with the brakes locking up. I guess you have to learn to balance the brakes correctly. The problem is that the travel on the rear brake is a little more than the front brake (or at least it seems like that) and that can take some time to get used to it. It would have been a different experience all together if the brakes were responsive.

What do I do to be added to some of the groups at have been mentioned on this thread?
Congratulations on the bike, and hopefully we'll all join in with others here on the weekend. Perhaps you should plan the IBW in Goa.

With regard to the gear, there are hundreds of pages here, which you can refer to, its very insightful. And people are kind enough to spend their time to give you good advise.

Yes in a way you're right, that the leverage is a bit low on the rear brakes. I had seen a video of an American owner who had cut a V on the rear brake lever and then joined it again. This made the brake lever move a bit above the foot peg, giving a better leverage. Some even talk about using aftermarket brake pedals.

While it may be hugely contested, the front brakes still dominate a stop. Rear brake ratio to the front is purely instinctive and varies under different circumstances. Usually I have used the rear brakes just to back up the front, but I'm quite aware that it needs to increase it a bit. Perhaps a 70:30 or a 60:40 ratio may work better. Right now I think I'm on a 80:20 which may not be the right way to go all the time.

Like I said every rider has his style and instincts and what I'v mentioned above may not apply to you or any other rider. You will need to find your own ratios

Ride safe and hope to see you sometime on a weekend.

Rakesh
rakesh_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 16:24   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
Ride safe and hope to see you sometime on a weekend.
Thanks Rakesh, Will definitely try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjun04 View Post
Rajesh PM me your number and I'll get you added to the Bangalore and India street groups
I am not sure if I can send PMs. Do not see the option anywhere. Can you please PM me your number and I will whatsapp you? Thanks so much Arjun, hope its not a lot of trouble.
Old 11th February 2015, 00:30   #50
BHPian

The weekend ride was a great experience. It was the first time I rode in a group and enjoyed every bit of it.

We did 400 + kms to Shettihalli Church off Hassan. Perhaps the only Gothic Architecture ever buit, in Indian history. Its a beautiful place and while we had to leave by afternoon. I could imagine the dawn and dusk would be amazing...a place to go back to with my camera someday. Meanwhile its the phone that helped.

Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review-shettihallichurch2.jpg

The bike coped up well with the riding style of the group. In the beginning I was a bit in awe of keeping up with the rest, eventually got the hang of it and I guess some amount of 'rust' peeled off. By end of the trip I felt better and realised that every day you learn something from others and thats one way to keep your humility intact. I'm reminded that 20 years ago, I was young, stupid and rode bikes!

One thing became very clear. You could ride along with other Streets, even move quicker in short bursts when compared to its bigger siblings. But on a long available road, the bigger Harleys will eat you for breakfast. They will not let you forget that, ever! And along with many many other reasons, this makes you start looking at an upgrade from Street pretty soon

Someone quipped during the trip that probably 50% of the Street owners are looking at an upgrade within 6 months. If that number is a fact, then stalwarts of strategy would pat Harley guys on the back. Well done!

You see its simple. Its creating 'have nots' at every level.

Riding with a bunch of younger folks, it was a joy to see their sense of responsible riding with complete caution and control. Everyone respected each other's space and showed courtesy for each other. I really wish Bangalore traffic converts itself to the way this group conducted itself. We would have utopia on Bangalore roads!

Have crossed 2000 mark and its a joy to see the ODO moving up. Weekend ride gave further confidence to ride 700 kms one way to Goa, next week.

Also need to get used to the new riding boots, which are preventing easy gear change (doesn't fit in well below the lever) and reduced break leverage due to stiffness. The boots however did not cause any discomfort other than being stiff (I had never worn riding boots in my life). No sore toes or heels or anything of that sort. Overall, no complains and once you break into them, it should be good to go anywhere.

Need to do something about vibrations on higher speeds. Shubz's vibranators on his Iron, are very good, but not available for 7/8 handle bars. Handle bar ends could be looked at from after market. Any pointers here would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the IBW now

And look forward to meeting some of you there.

Rakesh

PS: No I'm not looking at an upgrade from Street, I'm happy to be left behind for the time being. I know that in traffic or when making a getaway, I'll be quicker than the bigger bad boys. And go over that hump, less worried
rakesh_S is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 11:09   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
But on a long available road, the bigger Harleys will eat you for breakfast. They will not let you forget that, ever! And along with many many other reasons, this makes you start looking at an upgrade from Street pretty soon

Someone quipped during the trip that probably 50% of the Street owners are looking at an upgrade within 6 months. If that number is a fact, then stalwarts of strategy would pat Harley guys on the back. Well done!

You see its simple. Its creating 'have nots' at every level.

Looking forward to the IBW now

And look forward to meeting some of you there.

Your point on bigger Harleys echoes what I was trying to convey in post number 4 in this thread about how they want to hook you!

Whom are you riding with to IBW? When do you leave?
I am riding out on the 19th morning.
Old 11th February 2015, 11:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshb View Post
I am not sure if I can send PMs. Do not see the option anywhere. Can you please PM me your number and I will whatsapp you? Thanks so much Arjun, hope its not a lot of trouble.
Since you are new to the forum you can't send or receive PMs. you can email me at rjun04 at gmail
Old 11th February 2015, 12:00   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjun04 View Post
Since you are new to the forum you can't send or receive PMs. you can email me at rjun04 at gmail
Thanks Arjun, Have sent you a mail.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Your point on bigger Harleys echoes what I was trying to convey in post number 4 in this thread about how they want to hook you!

Whom are you riding with to IBW? When do you leave?
I am riding out on the 19th morning.
We are a happy bunch called LLB and riding on 19th morning.

Have a good trip and hope to meet you in Goa.

Ride safe!
rakesh_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 14:43   #55
BHPian

I'm surprised to hear that the bigger HDs will leave you behind. What's the top speed of the Triple?
Old 11th February 2015, 18:05   #56
BHPian

LLB should ride to Hyderabad soon. I on the other hand have finally driven down to Hyderabad from Delhi and I'm sure I'll be riding with you guys sooner than later. Its a pity that I wouldnt be able to ride to the IBW due to official work, however I'm sure we'll meet soon.
Old 12th February 2015, 20:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
LLB should ride to Hyderabad soon. I on the other hand have finally driven down to Hyderabad from Delhi and I'm sure I'll be riding with you guys sooner than later. Its a pity that I wouldnt be able to ride to the IBW due to official work, however I'm sure we'll meet soon.
Pity you won't be able to make it. But yes, sooner or later we should meet up! If you're in BLR, do look us up.

The preparation is full on for LLB folks!

Ride safe!
Old 13th February 2015, 10:31   #58
BHPian

Requesting some advice from Rakesh and the other owners of the Street 750:
  • Besides the long week-end rides, is the Street also capable as an everyday-use working bike in Bangalore traffic? The expected daily usage is about 15 km mostly in side-roads. I did read about the heat from the rear cylinder and the bit about the hand aching from frequent clutch usage in traffic.
  • Parking in market areas - will it suffice if one looks out for parking space similar to an RE Bullet in crowded areas - or is it very difficult to park in our typical Bangalore market areas?
  • The bike is intended for use by my wife, who although slightly built is physically fit and has had experience riding mostly lighter bikes. Her height is sufficient for the seat height (we checked that out on a demo bike).
  • Any suggestions / solutions for storage of small items (typical market purchase) on the bike? At the risk of sounding blasphemous to hard-core Harley riders, is it possible to fix good quality after-market side-boxes (not soft saddle-bags) to the bike to carry at least some small market purchase items?
  • Is the bike too much of an attention grabber - in the context of parking it unattended in our market area and the risk of getting it vandalised?
Old 13th February 2015, 11:53   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Requesting some advice from Rakesh and the other owners of the Street 750:
  • Besides the long week-end rides, is the Street also capable as an everyday-use working bike in Bangalore traffic? The expected daily usage is about 15 km mostly in side-roads. I did read about the heat from the rear cylinder and the bit about the hand aching from frequent clutch usage in traffic.
  • Parking in market areas - will it suffice if one looks out for parking space similar to an RE Bullet in crowded areas - or is it very difficult to park in our typical Bangalore market areas?
  • The bike is intended for use by my wife, who although slightly built is physically fit and has had experience riding mostly lighter bikes. Her height is sufficient for the seat height (we checked that out on a demo bike).
  • Any suggestions / solutions for storage of small items (typical market purchase) on the bike? At the risk of sounding blasphemous to hard-core Harley riders, is it possible to fix good quality after-market side-boxes (not soft saddle-bags) to the bike to carry at least some small market purchase items?
  • Is the bike too much of an attention grabber - in the context of parking it unattended in our market area and the risk of getting it vandalised?
Not a Harley owner, but an experienced soul in heavy cruisers and 'bade bikes'.
Would like to help you out.

* It can be used for everyday use. But, you'll take a lot of time to acclimatise to it. True, there's heat and stuff, but then, this is not exactly a motorcycle meant to be unwrapped on weekends and then taken for a ride. It's one of the most practical Harleys.

* Yes. Parking will be an issue, considering it's length. Just remember one thing, you can't bike bikes like these anywhere.

* If she can ride the Machismo 500 flawlessly, this one shouldn't be much of a problem. Is she comfortable with the foot pegs?

* That's a possibility, yes. But then, you're bound to incur the mental wrath and sadistic smirks of probably many on the road. Don't be surprised to hear comments like 'Harley ko Splendor bana diya'.

* It's not too much of an attention grabber. Of course, there will be instances when you're returning from your shopping and you'll end up finding a wailing infant sitting on your bike's seat/fuel tank and posing for his Dad's phone. You just have to get used to it and answer the countless questions patiently. Arrogance is the first symptom of a poser biker.
As for getting vandalized and stuff, it has never happened with me. At the most, someone will sit on the bike or rest their leg on the foot peg to click a potential FB profile picture. That's about it.

Last edited by barcalad : 13th February 2015 at 11:55.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 12:18   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Not a Harley owner, but an experienced soul in heavy cruisers and 'bade bikes'.
Would like to help you out.....
Thanks for the very useful inputs, Barcalad!
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed