Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 13:34   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 13:46   #17
BANNED

Congratulations Ankur for your new ride, few things if you don't mind sharing about the new on road cost after couple of months back confession of Triumph about BHP figures. Heard old ST owners got good compensation against that goof-up.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 16:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience Ankur. I have to admit, the jump from an old Pulsar 150 to a Street Triple is quite massive and not one you come across everyday. The fact that you made an impulsive decision to drop down that kind of money for the bike tempts me to be more spontaneous too!

Do share your service experience as well, I'm sure a lot of people would want to know about the maintenance expense of owning such a machine. Buying a super-bike is always a great thing, it's the living with it part that scares off a lot of people (Myself included).
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
I just went and bought a superbike. For no apparent reason at all.
WHAT???!!! You could do that? . I've turned a weird shade of green

Having said that, You've written a great review Ankur. Thanks!! Ride Safe!!!

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th January 2015 at 08:56.
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've got a confession to make......
Congratulations! Your story made for a very interesting read. Even after the detuning fiasco, I must admit I have a soft corner for the Streetie. A lovely bike that you can live with everyday.

Quote:
1. On both my rides, I've had to stop by the side of the road about an hour into the ride to straighten my right knee. I know this is not a bike issue, but my knee acting up. I get searing pain in the knee, stop and straighten the leg - it takes about 10 seconds for the pain to disappear and I'm back on the saddle munching miles again. Wish I could do something about that..
Happens to me as well, though not as much as it used to earlier .... and only whilst riding in very dense traffic. I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and have to alternate between that and the heel of my foot for braking and gear changes. After a while, it takes its toll

Possible solution - Increase the seat height an inch or so. This will reduce the bend in the knee and help with the daily commute. Although, when riding spiritedly, the stock position will probably be the best

I have ordered a double layer get seat for the pillion - http://shop.redlineplus.in/1-rider-c...torcycles.html

But I will be trying it on for my daily commute as well. If it helps, I will order one for myself too. I ride a Duke 390 BTW

Quote:
Still getting used to the fact that the footpegs are set slightly behind and have managed to hit the left footpeg with the inside of my leg causing some temporary discomfort. However, this is not going to be a long term problem.
Apparently, riders breaking their shins on the footpegs is a very common, very painful injury. Proper riding boots with shin protection and / or knee guards help alleviate the issue. Hope you have invested in decent riding gear and are not riding around town in your "regular" attire

Quote:
Shifting into 1st gear at traffic lights is sometimes difficult. The gear refuses to shift until I release the clutch, increase the revs slightly and then try again. The service folks have asked me to ride until the 1st service to see if the problem persists and I'm hoping it won't. Any other Striple owners faced this at all?
Same on the Duke 390. Slipping the clutch for a second should take care of this

Quote:
Horn is adequate, just about. I would have preferred a slightly louder horn to ride around town to be honest
Its probably better than the Duke's "ghanti"

Quote:
I have added the Aspida Ares gauntlets to my gear......The Ares seem to be nice
Do post a review of the Ares once you have used them for a few months please. There isnt a single half decent review of these anywhere on the web

Quote:
Throttle response above 3000 RPM is instant, but the real thrust comes in around the 8000 mark. Given that I'm still in the run-in, I refrained from going above 8000 for more than a couple of seconds. Can't wait to complete the run-in to experience the bike abilities.

Quote:
The Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas (that's a handful for a name!) do a wonderful job at keeping the bike upright on the roads. I'm a touch worried about the life expectancy of these vis-a-vis the cost, but I think I'll stick with them when the time to change comes.
You mean "a mouthful"

Some of the Duke 390 owners have also swapped out their worn out Metz with this rubber

Quote:
....leading to an overall FE of 20.95 per ltr.
20 KMPL???? WOW!!!! Thats pretty good for the kind of power it doles out
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:13   #21
BHPian

Congratulation Ankur , on the spur-of-the-moment decision to buy a motorcycle priced into C1-C2 segment sedan territory , that too with accessories !
It looks lovely in white.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:49   #22
BHPian

Loved your story! Congrats on an amazing bike!

I have ALWAYS found that decisions from my gut, without much of thought have turned out to be the best!(Compared to those with analysis paralysis)

Wishing you a great time with the new bike! I have been planning to ride with SammyBoy for 5 years now! May be I'll join one of the weekends!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:08   #23
BHPian

Thank you stanjohn, Adil, Srinath, arulpeem, adrian, Haroon, djay, Fullrevs, Jaggu, Ajaybiz, Tushar, Indraneel, Urban_Nomad, Ricci and Sriram for your wonderful wishes! The last two weeks have been a bit of a emotional whirlwind for me and truth be told, I hope it lasts forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I'm a car loyalist too..
stanjohn, I learnt how to drive much before I learnt how to ride a bike and therefore will remain a car enthusiast. In fact, had I not bought the bike, I was looking at getting some updates to the Yeti for the new year. Well, I guess that'll have to wait for 2016!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I wish you and your wife a very happy and safe riding for many thousands of miles. I presume that you have already planned to get a set of decent riding gear to go with your ride.
arulpeem, as I realised last week, my wife can't use the bike due to her back issues. That was a total bummer for both of us. Also, the comfort seat was actually ordered in view of pillion comfort, but that seems like money down the drain, in a sense.
Riding gear is all important, and I'm doing everything to follow the golden rule of ATGATT. The only liberty I take is that when I'm doing a short city ride, I change to a leather jacket and ditch the riding shoes. But have not forgotten the helmet, gloves, knee pads yet. Though, I'm still looking to buy riding pants, the knee protectors are filling in for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
So inspite of the new Harley showroom being 10 mins walk from home, you preferred the Triumph showroom....10 mins walk from office
True Haroon! Given the amount of time I spend at office, I also think it made complete logistical sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Let's meet up some time for a ride. Ride safe.
Sir, that's an offer I cannot refuse! Please let me know the next time you plan a ride and I'll be sure to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Looking forward to many more updates from you. Go easy on the right wrist till the bike runs in
I will make sure the thread is updated Jaggu. My wife may take umbrage with my new found obsession, but this is too hard to resist. And I'm trying very very hard to keep the wrist in check - the damn bike doesn't help a bit though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
if you don't mind sharing about the new on road cost after couple of months back confession of Triumph about BHP figures. Heard old ST owners got good compensation against that goof-up.
The compensation for the existing owners was confirmed at the showroom Ajaybiz. I didn't ask them for details, but I know that they offered accesssories / upgrades upto a certain rupee number. I didn't get any of those offers but I wasn't expecting those either. My booking was made on 31 Dec 2014 at 6.50pm or so, by which time the entire issue had already been closed as far as Triumph was concerned.
I haven't gotten around to asking the new price from Keerthi yet, but confusingly, the ex-showroom price of the Street Triple has not changed in the Triumph India website. Will confirm with them tomorrow and update, I'm curious if the prices actually went up for the Striple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Do share your service experience as well, I'm sure a lot of people would want to know about the maintenance expense of owning such a machine. Buying a super-bike is always a great thing, it's the living with it part that scares off a lot of people (Myself included).
Every bit of what you've said here is something that resonates with me Tushar. Though I was well prepared to face the service costs, what has really taken me by surprise is the amount I've already spent on accessories, riding gear and other add ons. And the list is still not complete! I'll be sure to update the costs of servicing in the thread as I go along. The 1st service should be complete on Wednesday, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Happens to me as well, though not as much as it used to earlier .... and only whilst riding in very dense traffic. I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and have to alternate between that and the heel of my foot for braking and gear changes. After a while, it takes its toll

Possible solution - Increase the seat height an inch or so. This will reduce the bend in the knee and help with the daily commute. Although, when riding spiritedly, the stock position will probably be the best
With the change in seat, I didn't feel the knee problem again. Maybe its a slightly elevated seat, but I really can't tell. I'll keep your suggestion in mind Urban_Nomad.

Quote:
Hope you have invested in decent riding gear and are not riding around town in your "regular" attire
Nope, in almost full gear all the time. Only things I skimp on when in the city on short rides is the riding jacket for a leather jacket and riding boots for regular boots. The footpeg issue though was completely my fault, as I ride more regularly, I find that I'm now slowly getting used to the positions and controls more. Wish me luck!

Quote:
Do post a review of the Ares once you have used them for a few months please. There isnt a single half decent review of these anywhere on the web
Interestingly, the Ares seems to be creating a problem for my left hand as well. Though this time, it seems that the knuckle protection on the glove is putting tremendous pressure on my knuckles. Right side is absolutely fine. I think my left hand is slightly (an mm or so) larger than my right and this could be minute sizing issues. Hoping that this will go away with time. Else, the search will begin again. I will surely update my comments on this particular glove.

Quote:
You mean "a mouthful"
I stand corrected

Quote:
Some of the Duke 390 owners have also swapped out their worn out Metz with this rubber
It is quite a decent set of tyres. I hope they last - apparently cost 30k a set to replace at the dealer.

Quote:
20 KMPL???? WOW!!!! Thats pretty good for the kind of power it doles out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
It looks lovely in white.
Cheers Ricci! White is a good looking colour on the Streetie. I'm thinking though, of getting the 'R' scheme paint job with the red. Not yet decided if I want to mess with the stock paint scheme.
AnkurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:20   #24
BHPian

Wow! Congratulation on your bike. "For no apparent reason at all." what a way to own one super bike looks stunning in white!
It was such a pleasure reading your review Thanks!
quakerme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The bike has yet to show me a weak side. The stall without throttle roll on 1st gear is the only issue that I've had, and having read about it on the interwebs, it appears to be a common experience with the Striple. I will speak to Prasanna about that this week to see if that can be sorted. Talking about issues, the other problem I was facing of not being able to engage 1st gear from neutral at traffic lights seems to have disappeared today. Maybe its something to do with the engine temperature as it's only ever occurred in prolonged rides through the city traffic. BTW - gearshifts (up and down) between 1-6 have been seamless and reassuring.
============
Actually, funnily enough, the fuel low warning light had come on soon after I started my return journey and I carefully nursed the bike back to Bangalore not wanting to fill up on the way and more importantly wanting to switch to 97 Octane at the Residency Road BPCL. The distance to empty was at 0 at Shankar Matt (JP Nagar) and I figured I'll push the bike if need be. After catching all red lights on the way and wondering at what point the bike will stall, I finally reached the fuel bunk only for me to be sent my way as they had run out of stock!! Went straight to Shell on VM Road and filled up with Super again. Which brings me to a puzzling question - the fuel capacity is stated as 17.5lts., but on the side stand, I was only able to get in 14.8lts. Any thoughts? What am I doing wrong?
Bike shutting off- Try keeping the clutch lever play adjuster at 2 and see if this helps.

Gears - Yes in peak traffic when its heated it becomes clunky, gear not engaging from neutral, just release the clutch slightly and then hit the gear lever.

Fuel level - There will be some reserve fuel that is why, and ideally avoid running it down so low. One, it can pull the much from tank to pump, Two the pump looses out on the cooling effect of fuel. Last but not least, higher octane is pointless in low revs since this bike is designed for 91 Ron, higher RON helps only towards the red line. Use regular Shell more than enough, rest is placebo. Bike should give 18-20 in city and upto 25 on highway runs depending on the way you modulate throttle.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 00:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ah here is the thread I was looking for. Lovely write up bro, I still owe you a Ninja ride and vice versa once your running in gets done . The speed with you are munching miles, I am quite confident it would happen in another few days.

Ride safe, lets catch up soon for another one.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 06:19   #27
BHPian

Congrats Ankur. As you get more experienced and confident with the bike, please do experiment with adjustments such as fork settings, tire pressures etc., to totally customize the bike to your riding preferences. That's when you really start to realize the potential of these bikes and the tremendous pleasure they offer.

Also, please do pick up Nick Ienatsch's book 'Sport Riding Techniques' and whenever possible, spend some time practicing the techniques.

I also recommend that you please do not skimp on wearing riding boots even for the shortest ride. Ankles are among the weakest points on our body and you can damage it real bad with tiniest twist. Take care and have fun. Safe Riding.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 08:52   #28
BHPian

Lovely lovely! This Triumph Streetie is looking just very gorgeous in white. Great decision you made out there. It must be thrilling to move from a Skoda Yeti to this mean machine.
Greatly written review. Will keep an eye on this thread for further updates. Please share the service experience. I too am very eager to hear about it.
Do post an update after you run in this beast.
Please ride safe. Do wear all the protective gear required for riding a bike.
Congrats again on following your heart.
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 28th January 2015 at 08:58.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 09:48   #29
BHPian

Hey Ankur, welcome to the club!! All I can say is that with the kilometers going by, the Street will become even more sweeter and a great companion. I've and will be enjoying every kilometer on it and wish you the same.

Regarding the Distance to Empty conundrum, even after it reaches 0km, there is about 2-3lts of fuel left. But this is the danger zone, as if you continue, the fuel pump will run dry and a replacement will be to the tune of 10-15k. Please don't push it to that extent. Better start looking at a bunk once the fuel indicator is at the last bar.

With regard to the gears not slotting in, especially 1st gear, you could play around with the clutch adjustment, so that the engaging and dis-engaging happens more smoothly, after which you'll see that the gearbox is extremely slick

Hope to see you on rides soon, BRAT and Teambhp ones as well. Keep the rubber side down, and happy mile munching
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 12:10   #30
BHPian

Congratulations Ankur! Very nice write-up and that reminds me that i need to get mine started

The Striple, does look lovely in white, though i went with black for better camouflage (for the exact same reasons as you).

The engine stall in 1st does happen when the bike is heating up, but goes away once the engine is up to temperature. Overall, i completely agree with you, Striple is amongst the easiest superbikes to live with, especially if you want to use it as a daily drive in the city. My Civic is rotting away since the last two months

The low fuel light does come on a little early, threw me off the first couple of times too. My guesstimate is, that it comes on with about 5 ltrs left in the tank, though i have never run my bike dry and i don't remember ever filling more than 14.x liters of fuel either.

Great choice of accessories! The LED indicators are really cool. I would also recommend taking off the rear mudguard (fit it back during monsoons), its a detachable cover, really adds to the look of the bike. Though Bangalore sees a lot more frequent rain than Pune, so it might make sense to keep it. I will try and post a pic later today, to give you a reference point.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas should last about 7-8K KMs, at least that is what i am expecting. Triumph dealers sell the tires at a huge markup, much cheaper outside. I am a little over 3K KMs in two months, so 2 tire changes in a year might be difficult to live with, but then the bike is just too much fun to not use.

The brakes are fantastic, though i miss the option to turn ABS off. Still searching for a hack, though might not be straightforward.

Last edited by A_v_i : 28th January 2015 at 12:11.
A_v_i is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed