Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 21:53   #46
BHPian

Re: 2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Thanks! I still can't believe i can't spot the option
A_v_i, if the issue is that you go straight to the service interval display (SIA) in the menu without seeing the ABS option, there may be a simple solution!

So when I was getting the bike back from service today, I thought I'll test the ABS switch again. To my surprise, the ABS option had disappeared from the display. I know that I'd seen and used (tested) the ABS off function before so after scratching my head for a second or 20, I asked the service folks what was going on. Here's the gist - they had disabled it while performing the ECU check after the oil change. Apparently, the dealer has the option of disabling the function in the menu and they had thought it was better to disable it. I don't know why it was done at the 1st service and not before, anyway. So I asked them if they could enable it again, if I needed it enabled and they confirmed it could. I decided against doing that (I don't think I want to ride without the ABS), so mine doesn't show up in the menu anymore.

In a nutshell, what you need to do is to go back to the dealer and ask them to enable the option for you and they'll need 5 mins to sort it out. Once enabled, follow the menu setting per the manual and voila!

In other news, the Streetie has come back looking like a million bucks (pun intended ). Horrible traffic on the way back, so don't have any views of the feel or function upgrades right now, but will be here with updates after the weekend. BTW, the cost of the 1st service which included replacement of oil and the oil filter and associated labour costs was Rs 6,677.26 (in decimal places for those interested in minutiae). Here's a pic of the invoice:
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-service-bill_1.jpeg

I have been thinking about buying the Muc-Off bike kit and the chain cleaner and lubricants as well to take care of the regular maintenance. The service centre uses 3M cleaning and lube sprays. Not sure what I should get - anyone used either of these products? Also, how is the RJays paddock stand - thinking of picking that up this weekend as well.

And anyone who is wondering about the current prices at Triumph, I've also got a copy of the price list which is effective 1 Jan 2015. Good thing my booking was on 31 Dec 14! I paid 915,696 OTR, as compared to the currently applicable prices. Though strictly speaking not comparable as the insurance here isn't 0% dep.
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-price-list_1jan15.jpg

Very curiously, the Ex-Showroom price for the Street Triple was 765,000 when I bought it, the list above shows it at Rs 808,586 and the website displays 791,080.. I haven't a clue how to read the numbers. As I understand, prices on all models have been increased after the excise duty rollback that was effected on 5 Jan 15.

Cheers!

Last edited by AnkurS : 29th January 2015 at 21:56.
AnkurS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 08:45   #47
BHPian

After I showed the manual page here, I decided to go and make the video to disable to ABS, only to find that it does not exist on the menu!! A lil bit probing on the internet revealed that it is an option that can be enabled or disabled by the dealer. So if anyone is interested, they can get the option enabled by the dealer.

However, (and I'm in no way responsible if some one injures themselves, ), one can disable the ABS by removing the fuse from the ABS module. Certainly do it at your own risk.

Regarding the chain clean and lube, I find the MucOff products are indeed very good and do their job very well. I personally have a liking for the chain clean, but find the Motul chain lube works better, as in sticks better to the chain, doesn't get flung around much and doesn't wear off easily in wet weather

And I'm using the Rjays paddock stand, works well and helps doing all the minor maintenance work on the bike. It's the same one used at the service centre too. With a lil practice, one can use it alone.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-1422587653426.jpg  

2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-1422587670282.jpg  

hifisharu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 11:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
After I showed the manual page here, I decided to go and make the video to disable to ABS, only to find that it does not exist on the menu!! A lil bit probing on the internet revealed that it is an option that can be enabled or disabled by the dealer. So if anyone is interested, they can get the option enabled by the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
Apparently, the dealer has the option of disabling the function in the menu and they had thought it was better to disable it. I don't know why it was done at the 1st service and not before, anyway. So I asked them if they could enable it again, if I needed it enabled and they confirmed it could. I decided against doing that (I don't think I want to ride without the ABS), so mine doesn't show up in the menu anymore.

In a nutshell, what you need to do is to go back to the dealer and ask them to enable the option for you and they'll need 5 mins to sort it out. Once enabled, follow the menu setting per the manual and voila!
Thanks for the tip guys. I for one did not see the ABS option even before the first service, but this is very weird that the dealers are doing this silently. I do not want to argue the pros/cons of disabling ABS, but there is no reason for the dealer to intentionally hide the feature. Well, my weekend was free anyways, and now i can go trouble the dealer to enable the ABS controls.

Thanks again.
Old 30th January 2015, 21:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Very curiously, the Ex-Showroom price for the Street Triple was 765,000 when I bought it, the list above shows it at Rs 808,586 and the website displays 791,080.. I haven't a clue how to read the numbers. As I understand, prices on all models have been increased after the excise duty rollback that was effected on 5 Jan 15.

Cheers!
Did you verify the VIN number and confirm if its a '15 model or a '14?
Old 1st February 2015, 20:05   #50
BHPian

Updates for the weekend gone by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Did you verify the VIN number and confirm if its a '15 model or a '14?
No clue mate. Searched the net, but it seems the VIN decoders can't quite decode the Indian code system as far as Triumph is concerned. Will ask the dealer to show it on the dealer diagnostic tool when I visit next (which will be very soon - read on).

Weekend 3 - post 1st service

After the 1st service, the bike has been running considerable smoother and seems eager to be revved harder. Other than that, didn't notice any perceptible change while riding.

Took a pre-ride checkup ride on Saturday morning. It was a solo run to the Kolar CCD and back. Saturday mornings are surprisingly superbike free compared to Sundays. However, traffic towards Chittoor was heavy (around 6am) and I didn't quite enjoy the onward journey as much as the return which was much more traffic free and enjoyable.

Also hooked up with some new friends for a ride to the Krishnagiri dam - damn that's a pretty place to spend time at! Some real nice roads leading up there (though one has to deal with traffic of course) along with nice views on the way as well. The 4 of us headed straight to Krishnagiri today morning. After some sedate and spirited riding, got to the beautiful and peaceful locale. For me, very few things in life are as enjoyed as quiet and good company and today morning had both. Cheers for the wonderful ride lads!

Have noticed a few more things riding this weekend. Some not so nice and some wonderful. Here goes:

- Tried the comfort seat with a pair of my cycling shorts today. I think I could ride a full day with this setup. Near perfect cushioning and no stress at all. The comfort seat looks like this:
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-comfort-seat_1.jpg
Notice the double stitching in white thread and the dimpled bits on the pillion seat and next to the tank. Triumph finish is top notch really.

- I think I'll stick with the pillion grab rails. Realised today that these are quite functional, though aesthetics are still in question in my mind.

- The more I ride, the more I like the handling of the Streetie. I am getting used to the weight more and more and am getting more confident with sharp changes of direction as well as long sweeping turns with each passing ride. Saturday's ride would've been quite nondescript but for the fact that I have so much to learn from and about the Streetie.

- Good positive braking up front and lots of grip from the rear rubber. The PRC's may be expensive, but boy are they a hoot to ride on. Unless the wet gripping is poor, very likely that I'll stay with these for my replacements, whenever that happens.

- I happen to leave my helmet visor open for a couple of mins today and boy, the sound did get some blood rushing! What a beautiful intake growl the Streetie has. Proverbial wolf in sheep clothing, is this bike.

In the not so nice section, we have
- The mirrors. Most of the time, I've got to duck down to see the mirrors and even then, the damn things move around so much (I don't mean they flap during a ride, but that the mirrors just don't seem to stay where I'd set them last) that there's not much more than my elbows to see. I would rather just replace the mirrors lock, stock and barrel as I'm not sure if extenders would solve the problem.

- And the well done not rare, feeling. Heating in traffic is an issue for sure. I've been wearing denim on my rides and in 10 mins of traffic, the shins do get more than their fair share of heat. This doesn't really happen on the highways, so my rides are usually not a problem, but I would not recommend the Streetie as a commute bike in Bangaloresque traffic.

Having done barely 1150 kms on the ODO, I daresay that I'm enjoying the Streetie. It stays under the radar for the most part and is happy to stay there until I open the throttle a bit. After that, it's a proper hooligan with no holds barred. Just the way a naked should be IMHO . I'm hoping to complete the entire run-in of 1600 kms by EoW4. Wish me luck please!
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-odo-reading.jpg

As an aside, the inevitable did happen today. I knew that the bike would meet the ground up close and personal, just didn't quite imagine it'll happen the way it did. In summary, the Streetie fell on Hosur Road, while it was on the side stand. Basically, the tarmac was old and the kick stand dug in when I was putting it down. I got off the bike and down she went. Most of the Streetie escaped unharmed, but I've got nasty scruffs on the engine (I had very cleverly chosen not to install the engine protector), broke the FL indicator and the clutch lever snapped off where it's meant to. Thankfully, the frame slider on the left kept the remaining parts of the bike away from damage.

Not a happy camper, but it could've been worse. Just glad that the the Streetie is no longer a v****n. Plan to get the engine protector installed now

This week, the additions for the bike include an Rjay's paddock stand and muc-off cleaning kit. Good products, the muc-offs seem to be. Wanted to try the stand, but haven't gotten down to it yet. Will update once tried.

Next update will include the response from Keerti about the engine covers and the expected arrival time for my LED indicators. I'll just take out the broken indicator from the bike until the LEDs come in.

Also, see some pics from today's ride (prior to the fall). Will also follow up with a post in the Sunday morning riding thread. Thanks Barcalad for the pics, the company and the picture perfect destination!!

First group pic for the Streetie!
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-standing-together.jpg

The lake is serene
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-through-handlebars.jpg

Triumph and Glory!
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-triumph-glory.png

Last edited by AnkurS : 1st February 2015 at 20:06.
AnkurS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:17   #51
BHPian

Nice to see you enjoying the Striple Ankur. In my case too, similarly, I kept on piling the kms and never realised I was nearing the 10000 km mark. Wish you many more happy miles.

Very sad to hear to has a mishap, guess Murphy's law is always at work. I have the stock indicators with me, in case you want to install them, till you get your LED ones. Let me know
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:52   #52
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the mishap Ankur. Yeah, the engine protectors seem to be a good investment and are also on my list of accessories to add.

Ankur/hifisharu, have you guys looked into getting the insurance updated to reflect the accessory costs?
A_v_i is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 22:53   #53
BHPian

Thanks for the sentiment guys. At this point, I just want to fix the Streetie up as quickly as possible. Keerthi has short levers in stock, so a visit to have them replaced will happen tomorrow morning. Also need to ask them about arrow end cans
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
I have the stock indicators with me, in case you want to install them, till you get your LED ones. Let me know
Mate, that's mighty generous of you! The offer is greatly appreciated. I'm going to the dealer tmrw and will have a chat on when the LEDs are expected. Though will remove the broken souvenir from the bike until the new ones are installed - this will remain with me as a token!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Ankur/hifisharu, have you guys looked into getting the insurance updated to reflect the accessory costs?
A_v_i, I was thinking the same exact thing today morning! Have no clue if that's possible, but it definitely is something I want to explore. No point having the bike insured for 0 dep, and the accessories uninsured. Good call buddy.
PS - did your dealer enable the ABS option in the menu?
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Though will remove the broken souvenir from the bike until the new ones are installed - this will remain with me as a token!
Maybe you'd like to engrave '1/2/15 - Fallen but not forgotten' below it. And place it on the cabinet where you keep your trophies and medals.
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Maybe you'd like to engrave '1/2/15 - Fallen but not forgotten' below it. And place it on the cabinet where you keep your trophies and medals.
I wish I had medals and trophies lol! The engraving is a tough option, perhaps a sticker job? 'Broken but not forsaken' haha.
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I wish I had medals and trophies lol! The engraving is a tough option, perhaps a sticker job? 'Broken but not forsaken' haha.
If you want, I can get it done for you. Should I add the date too?
I know a good sticker shop nearby who did some stickering on my helmet and other stuff.
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
If you want, I can get it done for you. Should I add the date too?
I know a good sticker shop nearby who did some stickering on my helmet and other stuff.
Your helmet is cool man
That reminds me, I got my new one in today. Check it out when we meet up next bro.
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:41   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Your helmet is cool man
That reminds me, I got my new one in today. Check it out when we meet up next bro.
He did it on the other helmet. The open faced one which I use for city riding. I'll send you a photo of it.

For sure, mate. Would love to see that.
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
A_v_i, I was thinking the same exact thing today morning! Have no clue if that's possible, but it definitely is something I want to explore. No point having the bike insured for 0 dep, and the accessories uninsured. Good call buddy.
Right, i am planning to try and get that done later this week. Though, not having it done before, i am not sure if it can only be done at the beginning of the policy period. I am significantly invested in accessories now, so Zero-Dep is still gonna leave a big dent on my wallet if the bike goes down.

Quote:
did your dealer enable the ABS option in the menu?
Oh yes, i got that done over the weekend (along with Arrows ). Thanks for the tip!
Old 5th February 2015, 13:11   #60
BHPian

Just FYI, but there haven't been any instances of the first gear stall issue post the Arrows install. Maybe the bike gets up to temperature much faster, or the slightly higher idle RPM of the Arrows tune makes the difference.

Most Viewed