Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 11:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
About the fuel additives, have you used any on your monster? Contemplating to buy one, since Shell is never available on the highways. If an additive helps my bike run better and keeps the engine happy, then so be it! But really not sure which brand or if it really is required on the Baraon.
I'd suggest you to avoid pouring in any kind of additives in the fuel tank. They do more harm than good in the long run. See this for more info.

My Ninja 250R just crossed the 45,000 kms mark and in the past 5 years, I've ridden across KA, KL and TN states where I had to fill fuel from bunks that dot the highways. I've usually planned my fuel stops so that I fill at a reputed bunk in the city or at a COCO bunk on the highway. I did not face any issues.

So don't worry much about the fuel. The FI system will compensate for any change in fuel quality by adjusting the timing accordingly.

And yes, please get your brakes looked at as early as possible.

Ride safe.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 15:54   #32
BHPian

Over the past few weeks I’d been planning to go on a long ride and Pondicherry being not too far, decided to do an overnighter there. In preparation for the ride, I purchased a ViaTerra Claw Mini to pack my clothes into and a pair of boots from Armstrong.

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150524_003.jpg

The Viaterra claw mini is an ideal option for packing 2-3 days of essentials for a ride and it fits on my Red Baron perfectly. Even though I don’t have a Sissy bar, I did not have any trouble fixing the claw on to the Baron.

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150525_003.jpg

The Boots from Armstrong are cheap alternatives to actual riding boots. There are steel plates at the toe area and the ankle area is sufficiently padded. The shoe is meshed at the sides and allows for ventilation.

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150523_002.jpgMy Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150523_003.jpg

The ride to Pondi was uneventful and the bike performed well in most places. On my return journey I came back via Salem and faced severe headwinds. Even at 80 – 90 kmph the bike had a tough time staying stable in strong winds. Even though the bike weighs 220 kilos, I felt the bike wobble when cutting through winds. A wind screen may make the ride easier, but will spoil the way the bike looks IMO.

The total distance covered on this ride was 791 kms and I filled in 36.32 litres of petrol. The mileage I got out of each litre was 21.78 kms (90 percent highway riding and 10 percent through towns and villages which required frequent gear changes). I was expecting a bit more since most of my riding was on highways and there was no constant gear changing and I was maintaining steady speeds.

The bike is stock and I have not done any mods on my Baron till date and don’t intend to in the near future as well. Not because I don’t want to, but it’s just that I can’t afford that kind of moolah for any mods at the present.

I made other purchases as well to keep my bike looking new. The first purchase I made was Muc-Off (bike cleaner) and Formula 1 polishing wax. The Muc-Off has to be sprayed on after wetting the bike and needs to be left for 5 minutes before washing off. I tried it on twice till now and it did a good job and it left me happy with the results. I also used the Formula 1 Carnauba wax and the results are below for you all to see.

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150516_001.jpgMy Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150525_005.jpgMy Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150525_007.jpgMy Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150525_008.jpg

All this washing and polishing seems to me too hard work and was thinking of getting a 3M PPF protection done on my bike. I contacted someone who does it in Bangalore, and they quoted Rs, 2400.00 for doing up the tank and the rear mudguard. The price seemed reasonable enough and I plan to go there this Wednesday to get this done. After that the Baron will be taking it easy for a few weeks.

Until then ride safe!

Last edited by aah78 : 16th June 2015 at 00:35. Reason: Addtional ATTACH tags removed.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 22:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Over the past few weeks I’d been planning to go on a long ride and Pondicherry being not too far, decided to do an overnighter there. In preparation for the ride, I purchased a ViaTerra Claw Mini to pack my clothes into and a pair of boots from Armstrong.
Looks like you had a splendid time, chief. I'm happy that the bike was used for its primary purpose - cruising on Tarmac.
Might I add that the Muck Off is a fantastic investment as it is very handy. I concur with you that the windshield is an unnecessary addition to the bike and might attract comparisons with another native bike.

Also, how is the rear brake situation? Did you get it rectified? Which brands did you use for refuels on your trip?

P.S - Photography classes immediately needed.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 10:09   #34
BHPian

Looks like a great ride, Snehal.

Unlike the dual sports, our bikes don't look good dirty. I am(was?) not a spit and polish person but after almost every tour i have to come back and wash, polish, spit and buff the bike. The result in the end is all worth it.

The Baron looks hot after that dose of Formula.

I concur with barcalad, you need to do justice to the trip and the red baron by using a better camera so we can drool at the bike a lot more.

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 26th May 2015 at 10:12.
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 20:28   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Looks like you had a splendid time, chief.
Also, how is the rear brake situation? Did you get it rectified? Which brands did you use for refuels on your trip?
P.S - Photography classes immediately needed.
I did have an awesome time when I was astride on the Baron, but hated the weather in Pondi. It was much too hot for my liking and the only thing I did once I reached Pondi was sitting in the Hotel room and surfing channels. I did venture out for a walk much later in the evening and came back all drenched in sweat. I guess I should have chosen another place or another time. Anyway, the ride taught me one important thing. Sitting on the saddle for more than 2 hours at a stretch gives me a terrible "butt pain". So, I was taking breaks every 150-200 kms just to soothe my rear end.
During the entire trip, I used regular petrol and never did I try any of the Premium petrol offered by the bunks. At the start of the journey, I fuelled up at Shell (Regular Petrol) and after that I used to fuel up at every 175-200 km intervals. I tried as much searching for COCO outlets, but always found them either after I fueled up or when I did not need to fill the tank. That I guess would be another reason for the mileage to drop down so low. I remember when I filled up only at Shell on my earlier rides, I used to get around 24 kms per litre.
Regarding the brakes, I still have not done anything about it and during this ride I felt it to be sort of allright as long as I kept a keen vigil on the roads and braked much in advance. Just don't want to think about panic braking for now and hope that I never have to be in such a situation. I definitely would have gone to Tuskers to check on the brakes, but I dread to ride the Baron on our famous roads with chock a block traffic. I am still open to your offer of taking my Baron to Tusker and getting the brakes checked though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Unlike the dual sports, our bikes don't look good dirty. I am(was?) not a spit and polish person but after almost every tour i have to come back and wash, polish, spit and buff the bike. The result in the end is all worth it.
I concur with barcalad, you need to do justice to the trip and the red baron by using a better camera so we can drool at the bike a lot more.
Cheers,
Sting
Thanks Sting! Completely agree with you man. The bike needs to be spick and span after every ride but getting that job done is a big pain. I wish I could outsource this job to some kind soul.
Regarding the photos, I did the best I could with the mobile camera I have. More importantly, I have no sense of how to take a good picture and where to stop so that I can take a snap of my Baron with a beatuiful scenery in the background. I feel it to be a pain to stop just to take photos and it's time like these that I miss my man Barcalad. Anyway, will have to think of investing in a good DSLR in the near future.
BTW what's your ride?
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 22:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I did have an awesome time when I was astride on the Baron, but hated the weather in Pondi. It was much too hot for my liking and the only thing I did once I reached Pondi was sitting in the Hotel room and surfing channels. I did venture out for a walk much later in the evening and came back all drenched in sweat. I guess I should have chosen another place or another time. Anyway, the ride taught me one important thing. Sitting on the saddle for more than 2 hours at a stretch gives me a terrible "butt pain". So, I was taking breaks every 150-200 kms just to soothe my rear end.
During the entire trip, I used regular petrol and never did I try any of the Premium petrol offered by the bunks. At the start of the journey, I fuelled up at Shell (Regular Petrol) and after that I used to fuel up at every 175-200 km intervals. I tried as much searching for COCO outlets, but always found them either after I fueled up or when I did not need to fill the tank. That I guess would be another reason for the mileage to drop down so low. I remember when I filled up only at Shell on my earlier rides, I used to get around 24 kms per litre.
Regarding the brakes, I still have not done anything about it and during this ride I felt it to be sort of allright as long as I kept a keen vigil on the roads and braked much in advance. Just don't want to think about panic braking for now and hope that I never have to be in such a situation. I definitely would have gone to Tuskers to check on the brakes, but I dread to ride the Baron on our famous roads with chock a block traffic. I am still open to your offer of taking my Baron to Tusker and getting the brakes checked though.
I had advised you way back that Pondi was harakiri and you'd perhaps be better off riding to a hill station. Nevertheless, it's wise of you to take so many breaks. One of the best advantages of soloing, I reckon.

I agree with you on the mileage part. Shell miraculously gave me expected mileage all the time. During our Anchetty ride it gave me 36 kmpl. I still remember man_of_steel’s expression when I showed him my console.

Well, heave yourself up from your bed a tad early someday and pay them a visit. Brakes of a Harley possess the `we know who do so’ property of disappointing you the moment you least expect them to.

As far as my offer is concerned, I'll gladly take her to Tusker only if you get me packed Biriyani from Ambur. Add offering me shelter when I'm in town as well. Heh.

Quote:
I feel it to be a pain to stop just to take photos and it's time like these that I miss my man Barcalad. Anyway, will have to think of investing in a good DSLR in the near future.
'Never do something you're good at for free'.

It's times like these that make you realise the true meanings of such excellent proverbs.

Last edited by barcalad : 26th May 2015 at 22:42.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 23:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
As far as my offer is concerned, I'll gladly take her to Tusker only if you get me packed Biriyani from Ambur. Add offering me shelter when I'm in town as well. Heh.
'Never do something you're good at for free'.
It's times like these that make you realise the true meanings of such excellent proverbs.
I'll do one better and treat you to good home cooked Malayali food and offer you shelter as well man and to top it up, you'll also get to ride the Baron to Tusker. Anyway jokes apart, the brake issue has to be taken care off but I just can't will my self to go to Tusker and then have them tell me that the entire brake lining and pads have to be replaced. Since I have no clue on the mechanicals of the bike, it would be so nice to have someone knowledgeable by my side to at least tell them just what needs to be done. You say that the brake pads need to be sandpapered, but when I go to Tusker they might just ask me to change the entire pads and knowing me, I would not sit down to argue with them and would agree to what ever they say. One of these days I will need to go there though and get this issue taken care of. The sooner the better.

You're getting greedy aren't you! I told you sometime back that you should have taken up photojournalism as a career and you should have paid heed man. Not too late though. You can still do it part time and rake in extra cash over the weekends.
Old 27th May 2015, 01:01   #38
BHPian

@Snehal - I'm sure the Steelbird SB1 does the job in the city. But please upgrade to a better helmet

<in case you haven't thought already>
loki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 12:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I
....Regarding the photos, I did the best I could with the mobile camera I have. More importantly, I have no sense of how to take a good picture and where to stop so that I can take a snap of my Baron with a beatuiful scenery in the background. I feel it to be a pain to stop just to take photos and it's time like these that I miss my man Barcalad. Anyway, will have to think of investing in a good DSLR in the near future.
BTW what's your ride?
On my solo trip to Kanpur, I took out my DSLR once to click a picture! During Nainital it was probably twice. But in those one or 2 times you can easily capture the essence of the trip. The easy part about having a good looking bike is that you don't have to worry about composition, just point and shoot!

I ride a Triumph Bonneville.
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 12:57   #40
BHPian

Snehal, you don't need a DSLR. You need to get down to the level or below the Baron, frame so that Baron is around 1/3 distance from bottom and side. Bingo, more often than not, you will get a decent click ! Try it out and let know how that works out. I don't know the techniques and I am lazy but I like taking photos so this works for me with acceptable results.

I know it's difficult to bow down, for our aging backs
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 13:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
@Snehal - I'm sure the Steelbird SB1 does the job in the city. But please upgrade to a better helmet

<in case you haven't thought already>
I did man! Infact I checked out a new brand called Kranos (from Spartan), but the large helmet that they have is small for my head and that is the largest size they have. Keeping in mind my budget (within 5K), my options are limited. I saw the LS2 as well but decided against buying it as there was no certification mark (DOT/ISI) on it and I was not sure how genuine the product was. Just today a kind gentleman from a new biking gear store called "The Bikings" took the trouble to come all the way to where I stay to show me a lid. He had got a Vega Axor Large size but that was small for my head as well and that was the biggest size they had. He has promised to get me an MT helmet in a weeks time. So until then the Steelbird will have to suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
That's a beautiful ride you have mate. Loved the colour combo as well. Looks absolutely georgeous on the Triumph. Wish you miles and miles of bliss on el caballo man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
You need to get down to the level or below the Baron, frame so that Baron is around 1/3 distance from bottom and side. Bingo, more often than not, you will get a decent click ! Try it out and let know how that works out.
Thanks for the advise Sojo! Will try and follow what you said, or even better you can teach me the intracacies when me meet up for our ride the next time and if you teach me well, I'll treat you breakfast.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 14:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I'll do one better and treat you to good home cooked Malayali food and offer you shelter as well man and to top it up, you'll also get to ride the Baron to Tusker. Anyway jokes apart,............I told you sometime back that you should have taken up photojournalism as a career and you should have paid heed man. Not too late though. You can still do it part time and rake in extra cash over the weekends.
Hohohoho! I suddenly feel so hungry now. Well, I'd blitzkrieg your house any day for Appam, Biriyani and Coconut Chicken.

How about you simply visit them with a stoned face and tell them 'Sandpaper my brakes, boy. Quick!'? Wear a Cowboy outfit to add the extra effects.

Well, considering the demands of my new job and the travel durations amidst these retarded motorists who probably have the all knowing all powerful party flag even in their toilets, touching my camera bag is going to be a luxury.

I have always maintained that the LS2 FF386 will be the best helmet for yours and the bike’s personality. It's a fine helmet and safe as well. Do give it a look but buy either from Lets Gear Up or Helmet Paradise.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 14:50   #43
BHPian

Went on a short ride on some very bad roads yesterday. The last 12 kilometers of the road till our destination (Muthathi) couldn’t actually be called a road in the true sense. It was just a dirt path with huge craters and loose stones. The Red Baron had a very tough time negotiating this stretch and this entire stretch saw me using only the first-third gears and clutch riding most of the way. Things that I got to realize during this ride:

1: The engine heats up terribly when ridden slow on long distances especially with the clutch being engaged most of the time.

2: The bike is not easily maneuverable in low speeds and I had a hard time controlling the bike to avoid these craters. Infact after a point, I just didn’t bother and just went over these huge ditches than trying to maneuver the bike avoiding them.

3: The suspension does a wonderful job and even though these craters were almost half a feet deep I didn’t feel the strain on my behind. That could also be because I was going pretty slow on this stretch and braking hard every time I neared one of these said craters.

4: I wish the tank size was much bigger. I had a terrible fear of the tank going dry on this ride and more importantly there was no fuel station within 30-40 kilometers on this stretch. There was also no possibility of hitching a ride to get fuel in a can. The bile usually gives me 21-22 kmpl on a good day and yesterday was not one of those days. I’m sure the average must have dropped down drastically.

I was thinking of getting some kind of detachable petrol can holders fit on the Baron’s sari guard (will either have to get them made or will need to check if what I am looking for is available in the market). Shell had 5 litre petrol cans earlier and if I can manage to pick up two of those, I can carry these with me when I go riding to these desolate places.

Last but not the least, IMO the Baron is built for a specific kind of road and the road I took yesterday was not one of them. You give me an open well tarmacked road and the Baron feels at home and will do as I say. You give me a pothole ridden road with speed breakers every kilometer, the Baron will let me know its’ displeasure and will start to rebel.
Attached Thumbnails
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-img20150531wa0001.jpg  

Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 15:16   #44
BHPian

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-img20150614wa0011.jpg

Yesterday me and a couple of co-riders from the forum went on a ride to Kaiwara. The ride was short and sweet and I learnt a new technique of getting over the low ground clearance of my Baron. The forum was a big help in me learning this. I got to know if I stand on the foot pegs every time I go over a speed breaker, the chances of the bike scrapping over it is lesser. Usually every time I go over a speed breaker, I would have to slow down to almost crawling speeds and then go over the hump, but now I can still maintain decent speeds and not have to worry about the bottom scrapping the hump. The other surprising fact was that I got close to 26kmpl on yesterday’s ride. I calculated this using the tank full to tank full method. I topped up at the start of the ride and topped up again just before I reached home on the way back. Total distance covered was 175 kms and I filled in 6.65 ltrs just before I reached home. So it looks like I got around 26 kmpl. That’s pretty good for the Street.

I also purchased a bike cover for my Baron from Amazon.in a couple of weeks ago. The bike cover cost me Rs.690 and is actually meant for a RE thunderbird, but it fits my Baron perfectly. For the money I paid, the cover is good. It doesn’t come with a fleece liner like the more expensive ones, but it does a good job of covering up the bike and the Baron doesn’t get enveloped in a layer of dust everytime I wash it and leave it parked in the garage. The quality of the cover is not anything to write home about. It a thin sheet of plastic and the way it looks, I’d be happy if it lasted me a year.
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150606_004.jpg

During my last bike cleanup, I noticed that the front and rear mudguards had severe scratches on them. I don’t leave my bike unattended anywhere and neither does anyone have access to my bike at the place where I park it, so I’m really not sure how these scratches came into place. My only explanation is flying debris on one of my rides. I need to get this rectified but am not sure what is a cost effective way to do it. I contacted 3M in Bangalore and they said that there is only one place in Bangalore that does 3M PPF for bikes. This was confirmed to me by other people in this forum as well. This is at the Bajaj – KTM showroom in Banashankari. I called them and they said that they only do PPF coating on top of the tank (from the petrol tank lid till the end of the tank). They get pre-cut pieces of film from 3M and the ones they get are only to apply on top of the tank. They will not do PPF coating on curved surfaces. That is of no use to me since most of the damage would be on the mudguard and not on top of the tank. Applying PPF on the tank is only useful when affixing a tank bag.
My next thought was to get the bike a ceramic quartz coating. I called up Quantum Details and the kind gentleman on the other end was kind enough to let me know that a CQ coating would not protect the paint against flying debris and would only enhance the shine and look of the paint. As of now I’m still at a loss as to what needs to be done and any suggestions on this are welcome.

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-front-mudguard.png My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-rear-mudguard.png
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 20:04   #45
BHPian

Standing up on the pegs is cool and cute.
But, I suggest you refrain from doing so. Stay old school in this regard. Because :

A) You own a Harley. Not a Husky.
B) You're short in height. One mistiming and you eat gravel.
C) You have a history of knee injuries.

I think the sandpaper-wax method might do the job here.
Many months back, some overexcited clown scratched my tank with his bike key, I suspect. It made a distinguished mark. Went to my trusted garage, and they used some weird chemical and cleaned the tank with it. 2 minutes into it, the scratch was gone. Try researching into this and ask the geniuses at Tusker as well.
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed