Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2018, 00:51   #181
BHPian

re: My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The ideal upgrade for the Street 750 - if you are looking for a big bike would be a Royal Enfield Interceptor (if you are ready to live with the niggles of any new RE's) or go with the tried and tested Triumph Bonneville T120.

For a sub-400cc - I believe a Dominar would be a perfect motorcycle.
Na! If I upgrade, it needs to be a bike that has no niggles. An RE would see me spending a lot of my time at the SVC which I'd hate to do and don't have the patience for. Not a Dominor either. Not a big fan of the Dominor. A Bonneville T120 would be nice, but apart from going faster I don't think it would offer anything better in comparision to my Baron for the kind of riding I do. For now, I think the Baron won't be going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So why change? If I were you, I'd keep the Baron for all the highways runs till something perfect and better comes along.
For brakes - why not try better brake pads + tyres during the next change? Should make a world of difference just with the improved grip levels. EBC is available, though I'm personally not sure how effective these are for the Street 750. Many praise these over the stock brake pads on the Versys though
I like the way you give some sane recommendations mate. Absolutely what I feel as well. Keep the Baron for my long hauls and the Gixxer for my city commutes. For our roads and traffic conditions, there is no need for me to get a higher capacity mule and when the Baron is serving me for all I want, why change? If suppose I were to take a liking for some major off roading or going off the beaten track (which is very unlikely) I could still rent a bike that would suit that kind of riding and those kind of roads.

May consider changing the brake pads to EBC ones when the time to replace them comes. Even I've heard friends owning the Street saying a change of pads and tyres does wonders to the braking and road grip of the bike.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 23:24   #182
BHPian

Short holiday to Ooty

The May madness struck again, but this time I rode to a much cooler place. Ooty it was this time. The family went in the car and I rode on the Baron.

Started from E-city at 6:30 AM on Thursday and took the Mysore-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Kalahatti route. Reached Ooty in time for lunch. Since we’ve seen Ooty multiple times, this time we didn’t venture out sightseeing. All of stayed put at the home stay most of the time and did a bit of chocolate shopping and took the toy train from Ooty to Coonoor on Saturday. I managed to do a short ride on Saturday towards Avalanche.

On Sunday, I rode back to Bangalore via the Guddalur-Mudumalai-Mysore-Bangalore route. There’s road work going on the Pykara – Guddalur stretch, but apart from that the roads were good both on the onward and return journey. Surprisingly for a Sunday mid-morning, traffic was not as much as it usually is on the Mysore-Bangalore highway and I was able to reach home by noon.

A few pictures that I took.

Just before entering Bandipur
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-1.jpg

A temple at the same place
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-2-temple-between-gundlupet-bandipur.jpg

View on the way to Bandipur
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-view-way-bandipur.jpg

The resort where we stayed, Bouganvilla Resort
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-bouganvilla-resort-2.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-bouganvilla-resort.jpeg

On the way to Avalanche
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-way-avalance-2.jpg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-way-avalanche.jpg

Pics from the Ooty - Coonoor Train Ride
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t-1.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t-2.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t-4.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t-5.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t-6.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t-7.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t-8.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t-9.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-ooty-t3.jpeg

Feeling calm and serene at the park
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-park.jpg

A must visit joint, Place to Bee
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-place-bee-1.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-place-bee-2.jpeg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-place-bee.jpeg

Bonfire night at the resort
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-bonfire.jpeg

No trip to Ooty is complete without buying chocolates from King Star
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-kings-star-chocolates-interior.jpeg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-kings-star.jpeg

On my way back, somewhere near Pykara
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-somewhere-near-pykara.jpg

Breakfast of Champions at CCD in Gundlupet
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-breakfast-champions.jpg
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 23:14   #183
BHPian

I bought a 90 degree tyre valve stem extenders for the Baron from Bikenbiker https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...stem-extension. I paid Rs. 798.00 for a pair.

The current air pumps at most petrol pumps have a newer type of nozzle that doesn’t fit within the space of the rear tyre air valve and the rotors. Earlier they used to have these rounded nozzles that didn’t have a problem, but the newer ones are more cylindrical and bigger. So I had to hunt for places that had the older nozzle to fill in air. With the 90 degree stem extenders, I can screw this on anytime I need to fill in air and then remove them once the job is done. This thing can’t be screwed on permanently to the present valves, as it may damage the original valves when riding.

The valves
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-90-degree-extension-valves.jpeg

This side needs to be fixed to the existing valve
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-part-goes-onto-existing-valve.jpeg

The side where the air nozzle needs to go
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-part-air-nozzle.jpeg

I also got a Fego Float Air Cushion. Anything above 400- 500 kms on the Baron was a pain in the rear and I was looking at something that would ease my butt on these long hauls. I thought I’d go in for the product from Ride on Air, but then found this product from Feel Good Innovations that was selling at half the price. On Amazon and other biking stores this was retailing for Rs. 2,199.00, but I got it from Fuel a Dream for Rs. 1,979.00.

The Fego Float
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-fego-float-seat.jpg

The seat that's going to ease my butt
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-air-cushion.jpg

The handle to carry the float when parking for the night
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-handle-carry-.jpg

Rain Cover for the Float
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-rain-cover.jpg

The seat cover material
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-close-up-seat-cover-material.jpg

Nozzle to blow in air. There is no pump provided so it's blow by mouth to fill this up.
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-air-nozzle-1.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-air-nozzle-2.jpg

Straps to attach to the seat of the Baron
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-fego-float-seat-attachment-straps.jpg

Close up of the fastner hook
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-fastner-hook-close-up.jpg

The price it's selling on other online sites
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-fego-price.jpg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-fego-float-sticker.jpg

Instructions to fit the Fego
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-instructions-fit-.jpg

Disclamer
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-disclamer.jpg

I haven’t still tested either of these two purchases I made, but I would be using the Fego Float on my upcoming ride to Mumbai and then I’ll post my reviews.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 11:41   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post

I also got a Fego Float Air Cushion.
Let me know how the air cushion is. I'm looking for something to easy my hind side as well over long distances. I have a 1200km trip coming up end of month, this looks like a good option as opposed to modifying the seat on my Vulcan.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 19:22   #185
BHPian

Wanted to get the Baron serviced and checked up before my upcoming Mumbai ride.

This time instead of going to Tusker, I went to Bison Harley. Left the Baron with them on Saturday and on Sunday I received a mail with the estimated expenses for the parts change and other services that they would be carrying out. They wanted my approval before they started the work. Replied back with my approval and they started the work.

Picked up the bike today and what do I see? A bike with the numbers missing of the front number plate.

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-no-number.jpg

I enquired with the SA and he was not sure if I left the bike that way when I gave it for service or if the numbers peeled away when they were washing the bike. Since I didn’t leave the bike that way when I left it there, the only possible explanation was the stickers may have peeled off when they washed the bike. They must have rubbed it really hard to get the stickers out. Anyway, they took the Baron to the local sticker fellow and got the stickering done again.

I paid a total of Rs. 18,455.00. The break-up of the servicing cost and parts replacement is shown below:

Dot 4 Brake Fluid – Rs. 525.00
Seal, Tapered Roll – Rs. 78.13
Steering Head Bearing – Rs. 2,876.28
Housing Plate – Rs. 891.53
Spark Plug – Rs. 470.32
Syn Engine Oil – Rs. 2,164.44
Oil Filter – Rs. 327.97
O-Ring – Rs. 33.59
Coolant – Rs. 40.00
Hex Screw Cap – Rs. 72.03
15,000 mile service – Rs. 4,500.00
Consumables Charge – Rs. 500.00
Replace Steering Bearing – Rs. 1,620.00
Fill. Bleed Brake F – Rs. 360.00
Fill. Bleed Brake R – Rs. 360.00
Replace Spark Plug – Rs. 540.00
SGST 14% - Rs. 463.60
CGST 14% - Rs. 463.60
SGST 9% - Rs. 375.11
CGST 9% - Rs. 375.11
LB-SGST 9% - Rs. 709.20
LB-CGST 9% - Rs. 709.20

They said that the next service was due after either 6,000 kms or one year, which ever came earlier. Tusker said that the service intervals were 6,000 k or 6 months and I’ve been following that religiously.

The Baron’s looks all set for its maiden monsoon ride to Mumbai next month and post that, I'm thinking of taking a long hiatus. May sell the Baron and lay low for a while.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 19:25   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Let me know how the air cushion is. I have a 1200km trip coming up end of month
I still haven't used the Fego Float until now. I've actually bought it for my Mumbai ride coming up next month, so not sure if I'd be able to give you any feedback on how it is before your upcoming ride this month.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:33   #187
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Snehal, Just saw Red Baron on our classifieds. Have you decided on your next bike?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 21:26   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hello Snehal, Just saw Red Baron on our classifieds. Have you decided on your next bike?
Not yet! Was actually thinking of taking a hiatus for a year or so and then decide if I should buy another bike. Again, I've got mixed feelings and still wondering if I should sell the Baron or not. Mind says sell it and save myself from un-necessary expenses (riding, fuel, maintenance etc) and my heart says to keep it.

Folks at home have still not been informed and they definitely wouldn't agree to my decision on selling the Baron, especially after seeing me so happy after a ride.
Old 5th June 2018, 23:16   #189
BHPian

Got my first pair of riding boots. Purchased them from Zeus motorcycle gears. These are waterproof riding (Zeus Tornado ZX-3) boots, but don't come with a shin plate like their site says. Paid Rs. 10,500 for these.

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-boots-pair.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-boots-profile.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-boots-rear.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-boots-sole.jpg

Also got my self a waterproof gloves (Explorer H2O) for Rs. 4,500.

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-gloves-front.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-gloves-palm.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-gloves.jpg

Now I'm all set for my upcoming monsoon ride to Mumbai.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 12:47   #190
BHPian

The Mumbai, sorry Pune ride and back to attend a Tbhpian’s wedding

Last week Thursday, the Baron and I did a long solo ride to Pune. Left home on Thursday and returned on Saturday. I was supposed to have ridden all the way to Mumbai, but by the time I reached Pune it was already around 9:30PM and I decided I’d stay over in Pune for the night and then head out early next morning to Mumbai.

Breakfast stop at Ranebennur
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-breakfast-stop-ranebennur.jpg

Somewhere between Ranebennur and Hubli
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-betwwn-ranebennur-huballi.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-3.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-4.jpg

Coffee break at CCD, Dharwad
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-dharwad-ccd.jpg
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-near-dharwad.jpg

Vada pav break close to Pune
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-vada-pav.jpg

Feastin on Misal Pav on my return from Pune
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-misal-pav.jpg

Suvarna Vidhan Soudha, Belgaum
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-suvarna-vidhan-soudha.jpg

My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-belgaum.jpg

Surprisingly I had visitors at the hotel by the time I had freshend up. Two bhpians, Suhas and Yash, had dropped by at the hotel to check on me. They were the sweetest two gentlemen I had met. They were kind enough to offer me room to stay if ever I wasn’t able to get accommodation in Pune and even went to the extent of offering a place to safely park the bike and keep my luggage the next day if I decided to checkout from the hotel and take a taxi to Mumbai. It’s a different matter though that I didn’t take up their offer. I didn’t want to burden them with all my luggage and trouble either of their family’s for the night. Thanks buddies for all the kindness and your hospitality.

Getting to know of the terrible traffic congestion in Mumbai, I then decided to extend my reservation at the hotel by another day so I could leave my bike and my luggage safe at the hotel. I took a taxi to Mumbai the next day. It was the best decision I had made. From leaving the expressway and returning back to the expressway in the night, it was a big never ending traffic jam all the way to Andheri and back.

I returned back to the hotel in Pune at around 12 AM on Saturday morning and after sleeping for a couple of hours, woke up at 6 AM and started my ride back home at 7.

The weather was good in most parts in Karnataka. I faced mild to heavy drizzles in several places on my way to Pune after I crossed Belgaum and again there were mild drizzles on my return journey from Pune to Belgaum. Once I crossed Belgaum, there wasn’t any signs of rains.

On this ride though, I almost had a fall with the rear wheel locking up when I braked the rear brakes hard. On all my rides, I generally downshift several gears and then apply the brakes, but this one time I didn’t have sufficient time to downshift and as I approached the speed breaker, I jammed the brakes hard and the rear wheel jammed and I almost skid. I was able to control the bike though preventing me from having a nasty fall. With a prayer on my lips, I continued my ride again.

Feedback on the Zeus waterproof boots: They took a day of breaking in to get used to, but they served their purpose during this ride. My feet were dry and cosy in them. The only problem I had was that my riding pants with the rain liners don’t go over the boots and I had to tuck in the pants into the boots. So, if water rolls down the pants into the boots, you’re feet are bound to get wet again. If the rain liners are removed, then the pants fit over the boots but then I’ll have to wear external rain pants.

Fego Float – It was of no use to me on this ride. I tried different air level options, filled it three fourths, filled it full and filled it half, but none of these were able to ease my aching butt. For me it felt the same way with or without the float.

Anyway, I’ve decided to put up the Baron for sale. It’s served me well all these years, but now I seriously need to consider getting a bike with ABS. I could change to a better brake pad and that may improve the braking performance, but I’m not sure if that would make a world of difference in the braking. I’ve narrowed down my options to these three bikes, a pre owned Z650, a Ninja 400 or the new Yamaha R3. All this depends on how much I am able to sell the Baron for.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 15:47   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Last week Thursday, the Baron and I did a long solo ride to Pune.

Quote:
Surprisingly I had visitors at the hotel by the time I had freshened up.
Thank you for meeting us after a long, tiring bike ride.

Quote:
I didn’t want to burden them with all my luggage and trouble either of their family’s for the night.
It wasn't a bother at all, but glad that you took a taxi to mumbai.

Quote:
On this ride though, I almost had a fall with the rear wheel locking up when I braked the rear brakes hard.
Good that you could recover well, guess Marc Marquez was with you.

Quote:
Anyway, I’ve decided to put up the Baron for sale.
Look forward to your next bike.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 17:14   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Used Versys 650 + Lowering Kit installed - all problems solved sir. You wont be as comfortable on the other shortlisted bikes, since you tour.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 00:35   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Used Versys 650 + Lowering Kit installed - all problems solved sir. You wont be as comfortable on the other shortlisted bikes, since you tour.
That's true sir, I wouldn't be comfortable on any other bike that I've shortlisted except for the Z650, I guess. I would love to get a used Versys 650, but I don't intend to spend more than I get for the Baron and that is where the problem lies. For sure I won't get a used Versys 650 for 4.5 L, I'm sure I won't even get a Z650 at that price.

Anyway, I'll know in a day or two when the gentleman comes and if he decides to buy the Baron at the price I'm asking. If not, the Baron remains and I'll live with it like I've done all these years. May change the brake pads to semi sintered EBC pads to see if that improves the braking performance. There are workshops in Bangalore that do brake jobs especially for the Street 750, so if a change in brake pads does not give me what I am looking for I may contact these folks to see what they can do to bring about an improvement.
Old 30th August 2018, 09:49   #194
BHPian

Hey Snehal... Came here because of a random notification. Glad to see all your explores and the fact that you're now ready for the change. Did you manage to sell? If yes, how much?

On another note... if you still have the bike and need a full brake system upgrade to make it solid. Let me know.

I think mine is a keeper for now. It is going to be one headache to sell it after all that I have done. Take a look...
Attached Thumbnails
My Red Baron – Harley Davidson Street 750. EDIT: Sold!-20180401_135444.jpg  

adrena is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 01:06   #195
BHPian

Quote:
I think mine is a keeper for now. It is going to be one headache to sell it after all that I have done. Take a look...
That's one awesome looking Street you have there. Is this the post 2015 model that came with ABS? If you've spent a lot on after market accessories and upgrades, it's not worth selling. She should be a keeper.

Quote:
Did you manage to sell? If yes, how much?
Selling the Baron is getting next to impossible. It could be because of the high price I've put it up for. I've seen other ads of people quoting below Rs. 3,40,000 for a 2015 model. I'm not willing to sell it at such a low price. My sole intention of selling the Baron was to invest that money on another bike without having to shell a penny or at least not having to take another loan to pay the balance. Doesn't seem it will work out as I planned.

Quote:
if you still have the bike and need a full brake system upgrade to make it solid. Let me know.
So, what updgrades have you done on the brakes and what was the appx. cost involved?

Since it looks like the Baron is not going anywhere and there are too many sentiments attached to the bike to see it go, I might as well keep it. First I think I should change the brake pads to Semi Sintered EBC ones and the brake linings to Steel Braided liners. I don't want to break my bank to get the brake upgraded. Anything within a ball park figure of 20-25K is what I am looking at.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed