Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 11:00   #331
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
What intrigues me even more, why not Ducati Monster? is it because of upright ergonomics on Hypermotard? because price wise I don't see much of a difference between the two.
Shubz sir actually rides a Ducati Multistrada 1200 S, which is considerable priced higher than a Monster 821 as it sits in a more premium segment. The Hypermotard and Monster 821 are priced close to each other, but Multistrada is a different animal altogether. The Multi has a bigger engine, a different frame, better cycle parts, complex electronics and is more comfortable as it is proper tourer - hence the higher price. I don't think it will be wise to compare a Monster 821 and a Multistrada 1200 S as their target customers are entirely different.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 11:17   #332
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)

Quote:
@Shubz: Sir, I think I am going to pick your brains for a while. The reason you say? I finally found a BHPian (Read: an active BHPian) who owns a Ducati. What intrigues me even more, why not Ducati Monster? is it because of upright ergonomics on Hypermotard? because price wise I don't see much of a difference between the two. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

PS: If you have an ownership thread of your pride possession, could you please point me to that direction?

cheers!

drive_angry
Err... I owe an apology to everyone out here. I haven't been able to pen an ownership thread YET.

Secondly to your questions
a> why not a Monster? - I am over the naked bike craving - since touring was on the mind.
b> why not a Hyper Motard/Strada? - same as above. Was riding a 1600 cc Fatboy and getting down to half its size -- ego problem Lol -- kidding! That's again a naked pocket rocket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Shubz sir actually rides a Ducati Multistrada 1200 S, which is considerable priced higher than a Monster 821 as it sits in a more premium segment. The Hypermotard and Monster 821 are priced close to each other, but Multistrada is a different animal altogether. The Multi has a bigger engine, a different frame, better cycle parts, complex electronics and is more comfortable as it is proper tourer - hence the higher price. I don't think it will be wise to compare a Monster 821 and a Multistrada 1200 S as their target customers are entirely different.
So right, the Monster / the Hyper / The Multistrada -- all target a different segment of customers - so its a tad unfair comparing the three beauties.

The question should've been why Multistrada and not a GS (GS is simply exorbitant - Simple)

Price wise:
The Hyper costs around 13K something
The Monster (red) costs around 12.3L something
The Multistrada S cost me around 21 L Because ---> Multistrada has a bigger engine, a different frame, better cycle parts, complex electronics and is more comfortable as it is proper tourer!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 17:02   #333
BHPian

My sincere apologies to all the folks out here & especially to Mr. Shubz. I guess when I took test drive back in 2015, Multistrada was not launched so I took Mr. Shubz Multistrada for Ducati Hypermotard and hence the confusion. Honestly, by looking these two beauties, I find very less difference. Mechanically heck yes but visually not so much.

Actually I see people swaying towards Ducati Hypermotard (Adventurer tourer) than Ducati Monster(Naked Street Bike). Though these bikes are in different segments but are closely priced hence the absurd Indian comparison instinct kicks in.

Judging by the amount ownership reviews Kawasaki, Triumph & Harley’s have on this forum it no brainier that these brands are a big success among Indian super bike enthusiasts but what worries me to see that there is not even a single review of Ducati Monster let alone ownership review. Hope Ducati’s re-entry to India revives some faith among Indian superbikers. Thanks!

drive_angry
Old 29th July 2016, 17:23   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My sincere apologies to all the folks out here & especially to Mr. Shubz. I guess when I took test drive back in 2015, Multistrada was not launched so I took Mr. Shubz Multistrada for Ducati Hypermotard and hence the confusion. Honestly, by looking these two beauties, I find very less difference. Mechanically heck yes but visually not so much.

Actually I see people swaying towards Ducati Hypermotard (Adventurer tourer) than Ducati Monster(Naked Street Bike). Though these bikes are in different segments but are closely priced hence the absurd Indian comparison instinct kicks in.

Judging by the amount ownership reviews Kawasaki, Triumph & Harley’s have on this forum it no brainier that these brands are a big success among Indian super bike enthusiasts but what worries me to see that there is not even a single review of Ducati Monster let alone ownership review. Hope Ducati’s re-entry to India revives some faith among Indian superbikers. Thanks!

drive_angry
Hey thats fine. No offense taken.

Did you confuse yourself again between HyperMotard and Multistrada when comparing the choice factor? Even if not, its not entirely true. Monster has bigger following than Hyper though Hyper (motard/strada)'s catching up on sales too.

Regarding ownership review - It won't be any different than any international reviews!

Ducati reliability has increased quite a fold compared to yesteryears unreliability! Amen!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 17:29   #335
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Judging by the amount ownership reviews Kawasaki, Triumph & Harley’s have on this forum it no brainier that these brands are a big success among Indian super bike enthusiasts but what worries me to see that there is not even a single review of Ducati Monster let alone ownership review.
Here are two ownership threads of the Ducati Monster 796:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ownership.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...r-796-red.html

Here is one ownership thread of the Ducati Diavel Carbon Red:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ip-review.html

But yes I agree with you, comparatively Ducati ownership threads are very few in number. Also, there are no ownership threads of the Monster 821 yet.

@Shubz Sir - We are awaiting Leo's thread with anticipation.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 01:48   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Here are two ownership threads of the Ducati Monster 796:

But yes I agree with you, comparatively Ducati ownership threads are very few in number. Also, there are no ownership threads of the Monster 821 yet.

Am a owner of a monster 696 in the US. Wish i could contribute on some inputs. Out here the clubs and the dealership are widely available(atleast 1 in majority of the states) but nothing compares to the network of the Japs. One thing though is the Desmo club is a very very good source of info and a helpful network.

I have not been through a service for the valves yet. I have ridden about 4k miles in about 2 years.

Pros on the machine:
Brand value and style: Ranks pretty high up as everyone turns.
Very good canyon carver
Very highly rated for newbies(will not kill you if you make mistakes). I had experience riding 150cc pulsars and this bike feels like a step up.
Not too much electronics so most of my ownership has been hassle free.
Good speeds and easily attains upto 110mph. Never been tracked though.
Purchased used at a juicy price of $5300 so i get this brand ownership at a fraction of the cost.
One advantage of buying used was that all the modifications done on the bike was what i wanted(Slip on echausts, fender eliminator and the cafe racer look).

Cons:
Vibration galore, makes my hand numb after a couple of hours.
Need to find a mechanic at times as the dealerships are very pricey. That can be a hassle in remote areas.
Gas tank of 140miles is low in comparison to many other motorcycles.
Seat is very uncomfortable with a sore butt in less than a hour of riding. I will be finding a suitable replacement or modification soon.
Can be a pain to cold start in the mornings. I moved to a state with colder weather and i need a trickle charger to get this machine going. No wonder my friend calls it a italian supermodel.

Again i have not been through a valve adjustment yet. So do not know whats in store. Total cost of the bike in 2 years has been about $1000. This included tires, battery and a windscreen.

In the US a 600cc range motorcycle is perfect with both costs and also lower insurance prices. A liter bike is totally a overkill unless you make that moolah.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 02:21   #337
BHPian

The multistrada is more of a competitor to the r1200gs. The. Multistrada Enduro competes with the r1200gsa and ktm's 1190 adventure. The hyperstrada is more difficult to classify. I hope they release the multi Enduro soon. It's gonna be the prayer answered for all the gsa fans in India. It can do absolutely anything you ask of it and more.
Old 31st July 2016, 04:39   #338
BHPian

What do you guys think is a fair price for the Multistrada Enduro? This might actually help. And serious question
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:46   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
What do you guys think is a fair price for the Multistrada Enduro? This might actually help. And serious question
Recently there has been a hike in price in Maharashtra at least due to increase in Road tax. The cost of new MTS 1200 S is now 21.5L and perhaps MTS Enduro would be even more expensive than this.
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:05   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Bangalore OTR is going to be around 24 Lakhs.
Old 16th August 2016, 17:20   #341
Senior - BHPian

And a super weekend with a ride to Kodai and back!

Round trip of 937 kms Door to door. Chose a wrong weekend! Because of the ID holiday long weekend, entire world was headed towards kodai! Mad traffic!

Had the Top box mounted - so couldn't open up the throttle to the max. However it (the feel with box/bike & self) does feel planted even at higher speeds.

Inching closer towards the 10k mark! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-13901347_10154476114812009_6877797739630236590_n.jpg  

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-14045811_10154476114687009_1731470294189562795_n.jpg  

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-13921177_10154476114392009_3700741515517190362_n.jpg  

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-13902833_10154476114592009_4534194693682428900_n.jpg  

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-13901368_10154476057592009_7671614012942561164_n.jpg  

Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 09:19   #342
BHPian

Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro launched in India at Rs 17.44 lakh

Quote:
The Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro is powered by an 1,198.4cc L-twin cylinder, liquid-cooled engine. The engine makes 160PS at 9,500rpm and 136Nm of torque at 7,500rpm. It gets mated to a 6-speed gearbox. It has a kerb weight of 254kg while the fuel tank can hold a good 30 litres.

Ducati says that the the full tank range of the Multistrada 1200 Enduro can exceed 450 kilometres.

It gets a tubular steel trellis frame and a fully adjustable Sachs front and rear suspension. It gets a 19-inch front wheel with 120/70 section Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tyres as standard. It gets a 17-inch rear wheel with 170/60 Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tyres. Braking duties are taken care of by two 320mm discs at the front and a single 265mm disc at the rear.

The Multistrada Enduro gets cornering ABS as a standard feature. It also gets cruise control, Ducati traction control and Ducati wheelie control and full led headlamp with light cornering function as standard kit. It requires a service every 15,000km or 12 months and gets a 24-month unlimited mileage warranty.

Ducati Multistrada Enduro gets the Multistrada Link app which allows the rider to connect the motorcycle to a smartphone and record different aspects of each ride like speed, lean angle and fuel consumption. The data can be saved as maps and photos allowing one to view them later.

The Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro gets a full-TFT instrument panel and the rider can choose between four riding modes namely Sport, Touring, Urban and Enduro. There’s even a Vehicle Hold Control feature which holds the brakes and assists the rider during uphill starts or when the motorcycle is fully loaded.

News Source
Old 28th August 2016, 14:26   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Inching closer towards the 10k mark! :-)
Hello Shubz, have been following your posts since April (thats when I started considering buying Multistrada). I searched a lot for other reviews / ownership experiences but looks like you are the only guy who owns Multistrada

Could you please help me with finding answer to couple of questions?
  1. How was your experience with VST guys? Specially the service guys, assuming you are yet to reach 10K so haven't done the first service?
  2. Did you take your bike on rough roads (mud, bricks, gravel?)? I am really curious to know whether the alloys handle that or not? During my last trip to Tawang we rode for almost 60kms of no roads so wondering can Multistrada handle that?
  3. When I test rode the bike got really really hot (but it was around UB city), does it get hot during longer rides as well?

Do you think we can talk about your experience on phone?
Old 29th August 2016, 12:42   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit0rana View Post
Hello Shubz, have been following your posts since April (thats when I started considering buying Multistrada). I searched a lot for other reviews / ownership experiences but looks like you are the only guy who owns Multistrada

Could you please help me with finding answer to couple of questions?
  1. How was your experience with VST guys? Specially the service guys, assuming you are yet to reach 10K so haven't done the first service?
  2. Did you take your bike on rough roads (mud, bricks, gravel?)? I am really curious to know whether the alloys handle that or not? During my last trip to Tawang we rode for almost 60kms of no roads so wondering can Multistrada handle that?
  3. When I test rode the bike got really really hot (but it was around UB city), does it get hot during longer rides as well?

Do you think we can talk about your experience on phone?
Hi Amit,

My responses in-line

How was your experience with VST guys? Specially the service guys, assuming you are yet to reach 10K so haven't done the first service?

First service is at 1000k (Oil service) and the next @ 15k (Desmo service). Service guys are good. Just build a rapport with them (this goes with any service personnel) and I have known the current set of guys @ VST from the past.

Did you take your bike on rough roads (mud, bricks, gravel?)? I am really curious to know whether the alloys handle that or not? During my last trip to Tawang we rode for almost 60kms of no roads so wondering can Multistrada handle that?

Am guessing you have deep pockets if you are considering taking the MTS to "no road zone" . So yes, you can take it anywhere :-)
As of personal experience, I don't intend to try it anywhere else besides the tarmac.
[*]When I test rode the bike got really really hot (but it was around UB city), does it get hot during longer rides as well?

Any bikes heats up when riding within the city/ in stop-go traffic. Do you really think bikes run that hot on longer rides? <grin>

All the best in making your choice buddy!

Cheers! Ride Safe!
Old 29th August 2016, 13:57   #345

Shubz, thank you very much for the response.

Quote:
Am guessing you have deep pockets if you are considering taking the MTS to "no road zone" . So yes, you can take it anywhere :-)
I am not sure what to understand of this Do you mean my fear that alloys won't handle non-tarmac roads is correct?
Please have a visit here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ravellers.html
Will give some idea of roads where I usually take my bike to and I would ideally want a bike which can go with me anywhere I point my finger on map The post also has map of where I will take the bike in November if I buy it.

Quote:
Do you really think bikes run that hot on longer rides? <grin>
I have no experience with super bikes. The reason why I was asking is because after the UB city ride it was unbearably hot. Rode fatboy once and yes it did get pretty hot. I guess as per your experience its pretty alright on long rides.

Quote:
All the best in making your choice buddy!
Thanks. All your older posts on MTS have been very helpful and I have gone through almost all of them

Last edited by amit0rana : 29th August 2016 at 14:21. Reason: Want to remove the attachment, its not required. I have posted it in intro post and given link.

Most Viewed