Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2018, 19:46   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India

@ sad ~ A superbike will last you as long as you will bother to take care of it just as with your cars. Like mentioned, most people in India who buy it do so because they have more money than the desire to ride. That is why you have these landing up at the used portals which such low mileage. Because people who bought them feel the need to 'upgrade'.
My own fat gixxer is around 8 years old has has covered over 40,000 Kms. I sold my Gen 1 at over 55,000 kms. The japanese will out live you if you take care of them.
These super-bikes are at the pinnacle of 2 wheel technology and are manufactured to a very high standard especially the japanese.

Last edited by bigron : 10th May 2018 at 19:53.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 00:50   #212
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The major component of any car / bike service is the labor cost. It's nearly half the cost of the entire service cost. In most workshops, labor is charged by the hour. So ideally the moment your car or bike is put of to the ramp - till the time it is taken off - those many hours are considered as the time taken to service your bike. Take the example of a superbikes first service. The first service which comes up within a month or 1000 kms involves only engine oil change, oil filter change, chain adjustment cleaning and lubing. Most workshops take a minimum of 2 hours to complete these tasks. So you pay for 2 hours worth of labor. But then the question is - is the 2 hours spent on the service totally dedicated to your motorcycle? I don't think these tasks take more than half an hour to finish. So why stretch it to 2 hours - in which even other bikes are attended to? Ideally the customer should be charged for the amount of time dedicated on his/her bike rather than the total time.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 07:23   #213
Senior - BHPian

@v12 - That is why I feel it is imperative that one learns to do their own basic service when it comes to super bikes . It is far easier than most people think.
The companies charge way to much just because they working on a premium offering.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 09:30   #214
BHPian

Recently I had my Striple serviced, its first and it took almost 4 hours despite the fact that a dedicated mechanic was doing the work. So where was the time spent?- in cooling down the engine for oil change. Then slightly complex air filter cleaning and then time to get engine's temp up for ECM software diagnostics and then again to cool it down for same reason. Washing/chain cleaning/lubing takes its own hour and I almost asked to let go and I'll do myself later.

Similarly for my Bonnie, its 2nd service took 5+ hours. Summer time in North is worst as it takes an eternity to cool down the engines.

Rightfully & Thankfully the good guys at Triumph Delhi charged 2hr labour in both the cases.

@bigron
I think we can do basic stuff like oil/filter change if the workshop provides us the OE parts. But on some bikes like mine, air filter cleaning is a big hassle if done by ourselves. Moreover, we still need to pay a visit (helplessly knowing the hit on our pockets) for ECM diagnostics, software update and other issues requiring expertise/experienced hands. So, I tend to think that getting it 'all' done at workshop itself is fine. At the end of it, it provides for peace of mind.
Old 11th May 2018, 13:59   #215
Senior - BHPian

@wangdu - I am an advocate of the 'to each his own' policy. If its something that gives you peace of mind than by all means.
For me , in over 40,000 kms on this and over 55000 kms on my Gen 1 I had not one occasion to visit the dealer for service or anything else. And I am not running a stock bike. Have flashed ecu, custom maps, full exhausts etc etc. Same goes for a few fellow riders who run a 07 zzr1400 , a 09/10 r1 and a 11' honda cbr1000rr.
But I can see how a dealer might be necessary in case the ECU starts acting up or if the immobilizer needs re coding etc.
Also, the market is flooded with parts far better than what the manufacturer suggests as OE including filters, oils etc. I suggest you give them a try.

Last edited by bigron : 11th May 2018 at 14:08.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 14:47   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Rightfully & Thankfully the good guys at Triumph Delhi charged 2hr labour in both the cases.
Why do you say thankfully? Doesn't Triumph give you an estimate upfront?

From what i understood at Ducati, every job at the service center has certain FRUs (time units) associated which is fixed in the system centrally by Ducati. The service center just calculates the labour cost of your job(s) based on the cost of 1FRU multiplied by the total FRUs fixed by Ducati for each job on your job card. The rest is parts / consumables that are required. So it was pretty clear what the service was going to cost me when i left my bike at the Ducati Service Center. It was there all day practically cause i could pick it up only after office hours.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 11th May 2018 at 14:48.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:02   #217
BHPian

Bike: Honda
Model: CBR650F
Year: 2016
Odo reading: 23468
Service interval: 6000kms/6 months.
Service centre: Silicon Honda, Bengaluru.
Work done: 24 month service. Engine oil, oil filter & air filter replaced. New chain, chain slider and sprockets. Real wheel damper rubber, spark plugs replaced.
Rear disc brake rotor replaced as it had scratches.
Total cost: Rs 30984.83.
Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India-1526365853653.jpg
Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India-1526365875404.jpg
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 12:20   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
Bike: Honda
Model: CBR650F
Year: 2016
Odo reading: 23468
New chain, chain slider and sprockets
Attachment 1760996
Attachment 1761002
Is this the first chain sprocket kit replacement ?
I mean whether the chain and sprocket lasted 23 k ?
Old 16th May 2018, 10:58   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Is this the first chain sprocket kit replacement ?
I mean whether the chain and sprocket lasted 23 k ?
Yes, this was the first time chain and sprockets were replaced. Actually it could have done around 2k more but i did not feel like risking it. Some of the bikes in Bengaluru got their first chain and sprocket change at around 30k kms.
But I'm still on stock brake pads, so i guess my riding style influenced the chain set wearing out fast.
Mashblue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 13:01   #220
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Bike : Kawasaki
Model : Versys 650
Year : 2018
Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) : 1000 Kms or 1 month

1st Service Cost : Rs. 5159/-
Odometer Reading : 550 kms
Breakup :
  • Oil Filter - 640.63
  • Engine Oil (1.8l) - 1276.78
  • Labour - 2400
  • GST (Parts and Services) - 842
Name / Address of the Service Center : Anzen Kawasaki, Mumbai
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 13:40   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

2400 bucks for an oil change - you've got to be freaking kidding me. An Oil change by itself at Kawasaki's job card in Bangalore costs 600 bucks.
Old 16th May 2018, 14:35   #222
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I was surprised with that too Redliner. Rs 2400 is the labour cost for 2 hours (1200 per hour). Ideally just the oil/filter change along with other checks (not including chain clean and lube) shouldn't take 2 hours. But not sure how this works.

Anyways the service experience was good. So no complaints on that front.
Old 16th May 2018, 14:48   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I was surprised with that too Redliner. Rs 2400 is the labour cost for 2 hours (1200 per hour). Ideally just the oil/filter change along with other checks (not including chain clean and lube) shouldn't take 2 hours. But not sure how this works.

Anyways the service experience was good. So no complaints on that front.
From what I have gathered, and from what somebody mentioned above, they usually have a fixed quote for labour for a regular service, irrespective of mileage or actual tasks done. I have never seen anyone being given a bill for just the labour charges for oil change when done as part of a service
Old 16th May 2018, 14:53   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
From what I have gathered, and from what somebody mentioned above, they usually have a fixed quote for labour for a regular service, irrespective of mileage or actual tasks done. I have never seen anyone being given a bill for just the labour charges for oil change when done as part of a service
Not really. You've got to ask for the right stuff.

Walk in there and ASK for just the oil change to be done - and they will do just that - and they will bill for just that and it costs 600 bucks (oil filter + oil additional - both can be sourced). And it continues your warranty.

Has been done by a friend in Bangalore on a Versys 650. Nothing else, no washing, no chain cleaning etc. Apart from the "go by the hour", all Kawasaki dealerships also have prices per job code and they CANNOT bill anything other than what the system throws up for that particular job code.

And what exactly does a "service" mean at 1000 kms in apart from the oil change?

Last edited by Red Liner : 16th May 2018 at 14:56.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 14:58   #225
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Wrong.

Walk in there and ASK for just the oil change to be done - and they will do just that - and they will bill for just that and it costs 600 bucks (oil filter + oil additional - both can be sourced). And it continues your warranty.

Has been done by a friend in Bangalore on a Versys 650. Nothing else, no washing, no chain cleaning etc. Apart from the "go by the hour", all Kawasaki dealerships also have prices per job code and they CANNOT bill anything other than what the system throws up for that particular job code.

And what exactly does a "service" mean at 1000 kms in apart from the oil change?
Oh - Actually I had asked for the same thing - just Oil Change / Filter Change and checking the brakes (No Washing , No Chain Clean / Lube). But was told it would take 2 hours and 1200 per hour labour charge.

Are you sure that the labour cost is charged as per task or per hour? Is this cost different in different cities?

Most Viewed