Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 21:30   #31
BHPian

That is right on the button. Its vital to acquire basic skills so you can tinker along even if you have a problem on the road. Basically ASS go the extra mile in doing preventive maintenance along with the regular jobs. So even if the brake pad has about 2000km remaining they will change it so that the owner does not have to do it when the time comes. It all adds up in the long run and in any case if you are in the market for a second sale you don't blindly buy. If you have the basic knowledge of bikes you know what to lookout for. A poorly maintained bike stands out like a sore thumb.

Note from Support: Please space your posts out properly for better readability. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 17th February 2015 at 22:13. Reason: Post edited. See note.
Old 18th February 2015, 00:40   #32
BHPian

Re: Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India

Bike : Yamaha fz1
Year : 2011
Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) : The manual suggest every 10k kms or 1 year(whichever is earlier).But the mechanic at yamaha service centre suggests a 4000 or 6 months interval if it is mineral engine oil or 7000-8000 kms/one year if its synthetic engine oil.I felt that 8000 kms interval is fine,hence stuck to it.
A typical service costs more or less similar unless it involves some other parts replacement like break pads,clutch wire,spark plugs,chain & sprocket..etc.

General service - 7000-8000 rupees
Considerable part of the cost of general service is because of engine oil(especially if you go for a synthetic one).Most of the big bikes take 4 litres of engine oil which costs around 4,000 rupees(motul 300v fully synthetic).
IIRC yamaha charges 2000 rupees as labor for general service and airfilter,oil filter,coolant(if needed) accounts for another 1000-1500 rupees.
In my case I have been using K&N air filter, so just cleaning it regularly does the job for me

Tyres
This is one of major recurrent expense for any sbk and the replacement interval purely depends on your riding style.
For my riding style one rear tyre will last for around 7000 kms and front tyre for 11000-12000 kms(this is for metzeler m5 sportec).A set of tyres cost around 25,000 rupees.I am planning to shift to Michelin pilot road series from the next set as they last longer than the soft compound Metzeler tyres

Other consumables
Brake pads life again depends on the riding style and I have got aftermarket brake pads(golfer hh sintered) which costs around 2000-2500 per set, front needs two sets where as rear needs single set.
Next comes chain & sprocket, clutch plates..etc which costs quite a bit and are replaced only after 40-50k kms in most of the bikes.

Apart from this, there will always be itch to add accessories to the bike and this list will be never ending
harsha.muvva is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 13:04   #33
BHPian

Require the expertise of group members for options on tyres for my Bandit 1250.
The original tyres -Dunlop have lasted me 8500km and the time has come for their replacement.
Front 120/70ZR17 and Rear 180/55ZR17.
Hope some one can point me towards reliable dealers in Mumbai.I know some dealers in Grant road area but would appreciate advice and personal experience on tyres choices.
Also noted that the tyres i saw were already 3years old
Old tyres and performance of those .if any one has experience would like to hear from them
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Let me share my 2 cents on service costs for the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

Mine is a May 2010 model and although the manual suggests an oil change once every 12k kms I change the same every 5k kms.

I use Motul 7100 20W50 fully synthetic single ester which costs around 700 bucks a liter. The bike takes up 1.6 liters with an oil filter change (~400 bucks for oil filter element). A typical service which comprises of only oil filter change costs around 2k.

Brake pads cost around 1800 bucks a set and last anything between 6k kms and 10k kms depending on the riding conditions. If the bike is used for commuting, the pads life ranges to around 6k kms and longer if the bike is a pure weekend ride.

The bike was shod with IRC Roadwinner tires from the factory which are budget tires in Thailand but pretty good for normal use. For aggressive riding such as on a track, softer compound such as Pirelli Sport Demon's are recommended.

A set of tires cost around 10k upwards if bought in a tire shop and a LOT more if bought at the Kawasaki service center (which only stocks IRC).

Chain and sprockets last between 20k kms and 30k kms. I changed the set on my ride at 30k kms and it cost me 8k for the X ring Rolon set. Kawasaki OE chain and sprocket kit costs around 16k and is an O ring set.

This is an expensive bike to maintain but it is totally worth it. Close to 5 years of ownership and I still cherish every ride on this one. The best bike I've owned and ridden so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt2012 View Post
Require the expertise of group members for options on tyres for my Bandit 1250. The original tyres -Dunlop have lasted me 8500km and the time has come for their replacement.
Front 120/70ZR17 and Rear 180/55ZR17. Hope some one can point me towards reliable dealers in Mumbai.
You can opt for the Michelin's (Pilot Sport) which are fairly common with big bikes. Most reputed tire dealers stock superbike tires.

You can also try sourcing tires from Performance Racing Store or Bachoo Motors in Mumbai which I see is where you are located.
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt2012 View Post
Require the expertise of group members for options on tyres for my Bandit 1250.
[Complete OFFTOPIC]: Please start an ownership experience thread for the same! The B1250 is one of my favorite motorcycles and there are only a handful of specimens in the country!

Regarding the tire, as Aditya suggested Pilot Street will be a good bet, it has a good balance between performance and life.
Old 24th February 2015, 12:39   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the information.I will be check these tyres soon as i can. As regards the Bike I am not quiet sure how to start a thread.
But i can tell you that its a bike which is very easy to live with and is effortless.It has the correct balance of power and performance,just right for our Indian conditions.Its a pity that a bike this potent has not done well in numbers here in India.
I have used a few sports bikes but in superbikes in city conditions this is right up there.
On the down side
Weight: You can feel the weight 226kg of the bike when in Traffic here in Mumbai.
Seat:Long rides specially riding without stop for Two hours or more is not ideal.I will recommend a gel seat or some additional padding.(I ride frequently between Mum and pune without any stops).And considering that this is tourer it should have had better padded seats.
Aftermarket parts:Now because the bike is not popular there are very few after market parts or performance enhancing parts for this bike., which is a pity.
I will post some pics later on .
cjt2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 17:13   #37
BHPian

Bike : Hyosung
Model : Aquila GV 650
Year : September 2013
Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) : 2000 kms / 6 months

1st Service Cost : Rs. 2000
Odometer Reading : 500

2nd Service Cost : Rs. 4000
Odometer Reading : 1000

3rd Service Cost : Rs. 6000
Odometer Reading : 2000
Name / Address of the Service Center : Luxury on Wheels, Somajiguda, Hyderabad

I exactly don't remember the break up of the costs. It is mostly the oil and for my third service, I had changed got the break pads changed.

I give for service for every 6 months, immaterial of the kms run. My bike is for due service in April and this time will note down the break ups. Hyosung guys and initially recommended to use only Shell premium petrol. I did some research over net and found that the Octane levels in shell premium or any other petrol are the same. However I had stuck to their recommendation. Now that shell is closed down, I started using normal petrol and the difference in the ride quality is observed. I may have to get my carburetor cleaned this time and need to see how much these guys would charge me for that
abhiram.soma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 10:04   #38
BHPian

abhiram.soma: Please be aware that all modern superbikes/ sports bikes are fuel injected. There is no carburetor, so there's no cleaning either. All they can do is clean the air filter or replace it, and if needed, clean the throttle bodies/ injectors. The service centers can't take people for a ride under the pretext of doing something that is not there

Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India-capture.jpg

You're correct in noting that normal petrol and Shell Super have the same octane rating, Shell Super only has additives in it to promote detergent action, i.e keeping the fuel systems clean, Kindly read the manual, forums to know how best to maintain your ride
Old 17th March 2015, 10:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
The service centers can't take people for a ride under the pretext of doing something that is not there
OT: I don't think he mentioned that the service center has recommended a carb cleanup. He is just assuming the carb is clogged and wondering how much they would charge to clean it.
Old 17th March 2015, 10:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
OT: I don't think he mentioned that the service center has recommended a carb cleanup. He is just assuming the carb is clogged and wondering how much they would charge to clean it.
Correct, which is why I'm fore-warning our fellow member to be aware of such scams that these service centers might commit. I've seen a majority of first time big bike owners, who are clueless as to what goes on in their bikes and what happens behind closed doors in the service bays.
Old 25th March 2015, 01:36   #41
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quoting this from the Benelli thread for reference. Discussion can be carried out on the Benelli thread itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
First service at 1000kms which is free.

Minor service every 4000kms which includes minor tightening and checkup. The chap I was talking to indicated that it should cost between Rs.2000 - Rs. 4000 depending on what needed to get done including labour.

Major service every 6000 kms which includes oil change. They recommend synthetic which costs around Rs. 1100. The bike needs 4 litres I believe. Cost ~Rs. 6000-8000.

So here's the service interval according to the guy I was talking to.
1000 kms or a month - First Service.
4000 kms or 6 months - Minor service
6000 kms or 12 months - Major service
10000 kms or 18 months - Minor service
12000 kms or 24 months - Major service.

And so on.

The need for a minor service sounds a little baffling. The cost seems a high. Perhaps it is an average cost spread over a longer period. Or it could be an overestimation by the advisor. Only time will tell when someone factually confirms this.

The cost of the major service sounds okay to me.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:40   #42
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Bike : Harley Davidson
Model : Street 750
Year : 2015
Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) :

1st Service Cost : Rs. 10,284
Odometer Reading :
Breakup :
Oil change : Rs.1,935.00
Oil Filter : Rs.355.26
Coolant : Rs.96.54
Battery Tender : Rs.3,532.95
First service charge : Rs.2,160.00
Supplies: Rs.960.00
Vat : Rs.858.44
Labour Service Tax: Rs.385.63
Name / Address of the Service Center :
Other comments / Expenses Incurred :
They advised me to charge the battery at least twice a week no matter if the bike is being ridden frequently or not. Not sure if the charge goes down that soon, but I am not taking a chance and feel it's better to follow their advise as they know better.

Source : Snehal Shekhar's Street 750 review (link in the below quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Completed my first service this week and the service cost me Rs.10,284.00. I didn't report any issues and so apart from oil change and coolent change nothing else was done. This is the break up of the service cost:
Oil change : Rs.1,935.00
Oil Filter : Rs.355.26
Coolant : Rs.96.54
First service charge : Rs.2,160.00
Supplies: Rs.960.00
Vat : Rs.858.44
Labour Service Tax: Rs.385.63

They advised me to charge the battery at least twice a week no matter if the bike is being ridden frequently or not. Not sure if the charge goes down that soon, but I am not taking a chance and feel it's better to follow their advise as they know better.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 09:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
[b]Bike :

Source : Snehal Shekhar's Street 750 review (link in the below quote)
Twice a week sounds a bit much! Batteries dont discharge that soon in any vehicle. I assume they sold the battery tender to that effect as well?

Could other Street 750 owners confirm if this is a standard practice?

Thanks!
Old 16th April 2015, 18:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Twice a week sounds a bit much! Batteries dont discharge that soon in any vehicle. I assume they sold the battery tender to that effect as well?

Thanks!
It doesn't and my bad. I should have done my homework before making that purchase. As long as your bike is being ridden frequently, there is no need of a battery tender. As the battery ages, may be 3-4 years down the line, I may need to charge it once in two weeks or so but for a new bike this is absolutely unnecessary. This is just a way for them to make a quick buck out of gullible people like me. Anyway, learnt my lesson and paid the price.
Old 16th April 2015, 18:48   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post

Thanks!
Some Harleys fitted with the optional Security system MAY draw your battery down and they MIGHT have had some cases of dead battery.

The fact that all Harleys don't have security systems and all bikes might not drain so bad might be information above the pay-grade of the salesman.

If it results in selling a few battery tenders with a "good" margin, why dis spell the myth?

Cheers

Ride Safe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks