Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2015, 02:54   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India

Rewind 5 years ago to the Superbike scene in India. Owning a superbike was a nightmare even if you had the money to spend. That's because more than 80% of the bikes available in the market were shady, assembles and illegal ones (even though it was listed as clean ones). The rare <20% were genuine imports or TR bikes which were very hard to find and equally hard to determine whether they were really legal. So even if you had the money, you would hold onto your dreams - because you did not want the DRI to stop you on the road or arrive at your doorstep and confiscate your bike.

Fast forward to today, with so many manufacturers launching their big bikes in India, I guess its now becoming easier for bikers / enthusiasts to think and get closer to their dream bikes. Although the prices here (in India) are more than double the original prices - they are still within reach and affordable. Couple that with After Sales Service and banks now offering a Superbike loan and that too 80% of the price of the bike - its now much easier to buy a superbike.

So price settled, legality settled, bank loan settled, sales and service settled - is there anything that we are missing in the cost of the bike. Yes, there is a hidden cost - the maintenance / servicing cost. Although this factor is looked into buy many buyers, its very difficult to arrive at this value because we do not have much information on it on our forum. I believe it will be a good idea if members across the board can share their service costs - so that prospective buyers can include this cost as well before deciding on a bike. I was on the lookout for a superbike and was reading through the Z800 and Street Triple review on the forum and I was shocked to know that the service cost of the Z800 is more than the ST. And also the service interval of the Z800 is within 6 months and that of the ST is 10000kms/1 year. I always thought that Japanese bikes were cheaper to maintain than their European counterparts - but this is where I was mistaken.

This is the format I could come up with - but if you feel that the format could be improved to cover other important things as well, please feel free to add so. Looking for all your inputs.

Thanks in advance!

Bike :
Model :
Year :
Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) :

1st Service Cost : Rs.
Odometer Reading :
Breakup :
Name / Address of the Service Center :
Other comments / Expenses Incurred :

2nd Service Cost : Rs.
Odometer Reading :
Breakup :
Other comments / Expenses Incurred

3rd Service Cost : Rs.
Odometer Reading :
Breakup :
v12 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 04:32   #2
BHPian

re: Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India

Except for valve adjustments, most of the work can easily be done by the owner. Even the valve adjustments are not that difficult for the handy. Changing and balancing tires might be one thing needed regularly from a dealer, but the rest should all not cost that much.

The above is true for most Japanese bikes, and many other makes too. Those makes that require hooking up to a dealer computer for periodic servicing tend to cost the big bucks.
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 13:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

All Kawasaki Superbikes (CBU Imports) have service interval of 6000KM or 6 months which ever is earlier. Though this might not be communicated to owner at the time of purchase.

Bike : Kawasaki
Model : Z800
Year : 2014
Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) : 6000 / 6 Months.

Khivraj Bangalore never said 6 months interval to me . They always said its once an year but warranty card say's every 6 months for all kawasaki cbu import bikes.

Prospective customers - please make a note of it before you pay booking amount.
djay99 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 19:24   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your inputs Vcheng and Djay99. Agree that the minor jobs can be carries out by the owner or an independent garage. Diagnostics however would need to be carried out at the A.S.S. itself.

Djay99 : Would it be possible for you to list down the service cost of the Z?
I too had heard about the 6000kms/6 month service interval for the Z and other Kawasaki CBUs. Is there a valid or logical explanation for the same as to why the warranty card says this whereas Kawasaki mentions 1 year. Is it because of our fuel quality or driving conditions that the service interval was changed from 1 year to 6 months?

Last edited by v12 : 15th February 2015 at 19:28.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 19:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks for your inputs Vcheng and Djay99. Agree that the minor jobs can be carries out by the owner or an independent garage. Diagnostics however would need to be carried out at the A.S.S. itself.

I too had heard about the 6000kms/6 month service interval for the Z and other Kawasaki CBUs. Is there a valid or logical explanation for the same as to why the warranty card says this whereas Kawasaki mentions 1 year. Is it because of our fuel quality or driving conditions that the service interval was changed from 1 year to 6 months?
Check this response I received from kawasaki Bangalore after I asked them a few questions through their 'contact us' link in their website.
Wonder if it helps.
Also, alternate services are costlier. One would probably spend around 15-20K more than the Striple in 2 years of its warranty in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India-kawasresponse.jpg  

Sojogator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 21:36   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that Sojogator. That's what I had guessed initially. The frequency may have been reduced due to our fuel, weather, traffic and dusty condition. Here is a screenshot of their service manual which says the frequency may be shorter in harsh conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India-screenshot_201502152134292.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 22:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that Sojogator. That's what I had guessed initially. The frequency may have been reduced due to our fuel, weather, traffic and dusty condition. Here is a screenshot of their service manual which says the frequency may be shorter in harsh conditions.
So 5 services a year for a R15 costing around 2-4K each (14-20K) against 2 services costing around 20K ! Just in the basis of time gap and not kilometres though.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK Kawasaki service guy's in bangalore do not have an OBD scanner.

Quote:
1st Service at 1000KM/1Month: Cost Rs 7000
2nd Service at 6000KM/6Month: Cost Rs ~8000
3rd Service at 12000KM/12Month: Cost Rs ~16000 to 18000
Don't know costs for next service.

They say service interval was reduced because of fuel quality but why they are saying use only 95RON? I am sure they will void warranty if a customer uses 91RON.

I agree driving conditions in india are not smooth but where is the japanese reliability and bullet proof engineering that they boast of?
Also first world country guys get ample opportunity to red line every now an then. Will that not cause more stress on engine?

European CBU bikes have 10000 KM/1Year interval. Are they out of their mind for not reducing service intervals? I see this as an opportunity by kawa to make more money from service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Check this response I received from kawasaki Bangalore after I asked them a few questions through their 'contact us' link in their website.
Wonder if it helps.
Also, alternate services are costlier. One would probably spend around 15-20K more than the Striple in 2 years of its warranty in my opinion.
Are you Sourjya? Khivraj bangalore manager wrote this email.

Quote:
True. I have gone through manual that i have and it says so. But if i ride only 1000KM in 6 months? Do i need to get full service done?

More over i am pissed off because of sales guy's not stating true facts at the time of TD and all. Even the poor engineers at service centre gave incorrect answers to my question about fuel and service period.

Last edited by djay99 : 15th February 2015 at 22:58.
djay99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 23:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Are you Sourjya? Khivraj bangalore manager wrote this email.
Yeah, Sourjya here. Just joined team-bhp yesterday.

I don't think red lining is the issue here. more to do with dusty conditions. That is never good for any modern machinery. You are much more knowledgeable regarding this. I just think they should inform people before they buy.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2015 at 15:34. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 16th February 2015, 00:00   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
AFAIK Kawasaki service guy's in bangalore do not have an OBD scanner.

1st Service at 1000KM/1Month: Cost Rs 7000
2nd Service at 6000KM/6Month: Cost Rs ~8000
3rd Service at 12000KM/12Month: Cost Rs ~16000 to 18000
Don't know costs for next service.

They say service interval was reduced because of fuel quality but why they are saying use only 95RON? I am sure they will void warranty if a customer uses 91RON.
That means 35,000 per year on maintenance costs for a Z . I guess then the Triumphs or the Harleys make more sense than the "cheaper" Z. What exactly is done in each of the services that makes it so expensive. The major component that I assume would be oil/filter change and labor charges.

Here's my take on the fuel part - Since these bikes are CBU and not homologated - the engine is not tweaked for Indian conditions (bad fuel quality, conditions. And hence the suggestion to use only high octane fuel. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
I agree driving conditions in india are not smooth but where is the japanese reliability and bullet proof engineering that they boast of?
Also first world country guys get ample opportunity to red line every now an then. Will that not cause more stress on engine?
European CBU bikes have 10000 KM/1Year interval. Are they out of their mind for not reducing service intervals? I see this as an opportunity by kawa to make more money from service.
Yes, roads are not smooth in India - but at least major cities like Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi - where the roads have improved - 6 month interval could have been waived off. If bad roads was really the issue, why aren't Triumph and Harley not having half yearly services.

Quote:
True. I have gone through manual that i have and it says so. But if i ride only 1000KM in 6 months? Do i need to get full service done?
I was thinking of exactly that - if you are not a very frequent rider, then irrespective of the external factors (weather, dust, rain, traffic) - why should the bike go in for frequent services?
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 02:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:

For any prospective owner of a motorbike, I would suggest learning at least the following few basic maintenance jobs:

1. Oil and filter change.
2. Air filter change.
3. Brake pads change and bleeding brake fluid.
5. Taking off wheels and putting them back on.
6. Chain cleaning, lubrication and maintenance.
7. Checking valve clearances, and taking them in for adjustment only when needed, if not adjusting them yourself.
8. Changing out cables.
9. Changing coolant.
10. General inspection, adjustment and lubrication of minor components.

The above skill set would greatly reduce the cost of servicing any motorbike, no matter who the manufacturer is. Put up any manufacturer suggested service and see how much of that is covered by the list above.
VCheng is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 09:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Yeah, Sourjya here. Just joined team-bhp yesterday.
Welcome to team-bhp Sourjya.

Quote:
I don't think red lining is the issue here. more to do with dusty conditions. That is never good for any modern machinery. You are much more knowledgeable regarding this. I just think they should inform people before they buy.
Dusty conditions - i agree. But these modern machines have more tolerance levels. Since there is no free service (like duke), i guess we should be given an option to service as per KM covered but that will not be accepted as it will lead to a loss in revenue (remember 4% margin theory on sales ).

Quote:
That means 35,000 per year on maintenance costs for a Z. I guess then the Triumphs or the Harleys make more sense than the "cheaper" Z. What exactly is done in each of the services that makes it so expensive. The major component that I assume would be oil/filter change and labor charges.
First service - Change oil and oil filter. Clean and lube chain. That's it.
Second Service - Clean ail filter along with above job.
Third Service - Replace spark plugs along with above job.

Yes Triumph is definitely cheaper to run and maintain.

Quote:
Here's my take on the fuel part - Since these bikes are CBU and not homologated - the engine is not tweaked for Indian conditions (bad fuel quality, conditions. And hence the suggestion to use only high octane fuel. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are spot-on. Manual says use 95RON fuel and i am already using 97RON.

Quote:
Yes, roads are not smooth in India - but at least major cities like Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi - where the roads have improved - 6 month interval could have been waived off. If bad roads was really the issue, why aren't Triumph and Harley not having half yearly services.
Intention appears to make more money. Also i see certain arrogance in their response- Its like dude you just have to follow what we say. Don't argue

Quote:
I was thinking of exactly that - if you are not a very frequent rider, then irrespective of the external factors (weather, dust, rain, traffic) - why should the bike go in for frequent services?
I have asked this question to khivraj manager. Awaiting for a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
For any prospective owner of a motorbike, I would suggest learning at least the following few basic maintenance jobs:

1. Oil and filter change.
2. Air filter change.
3. Brake pads change and bleeding brake fluid.
5. Taking off wheels and putting them back on.
6. Chain cleaning, lubrication and maintenance.
7. Checking valve clearances, and taking them in for adjustment only when needed, if not adjusting them yourself.
8. Changing out cables.
9. Changing coolant.
10. General inspection, adjustment and lubrication of minor components.

The above skill set would greatly reduce the cost of servicing any motorbike, no matter who the manufacturer is. Put up any manufacturer suggested service and see how much of that is covered by the list above.
Thank you for suggestion but warranty would be void if we try any of the above jobs except chain cleaning stuff.
djay99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 10:11   #13
BHPian

I agree with VCheng view on developing basic skill sets. A lot of information is available online on youtube as well as interweb in general which will help you develop those skills. Its more satisfying and reassuring that you have worked on your bike and not a third party. I also doubt if the service outlets have sufficiently trained their crew for the said job.I recently carried out the servicing on my Bandit1250 wherein the engine oil, oil filter, air filter, brake pads (two sets fwd and one set aft), drive chain cleaning and lubrication, spark plug replacement and topping up of coolant was done at my basement parking. I can tell you the joy and satisfaction is abundant.The only issue is not having a authorised service center acknowledge your service book which can technically reduce the valve of your bike. Correct me if I am wrong on this but thats my view
cjt2012 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 13:30   #14
BHPian

Bike : Triumph Street Triple
Model : Standard
Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) : 10,000 kms or 1year

1st Service Cost : Rs. 6500
Odometer Reading : 1000
Breakup : Oil and oil filter 4500, chain cleaning lubing, polish, labour etc 2000
Name / Address of the Service Center : Keerthi Motors

2nd Service Cost : Rs. 6500
Odometer Reading : 10800
Breakup : Oil and oil filter 4500, chain cleaning lubing, polish, labour etc 2000
Name / Address of the Service Center : Keerthi Motors
Other comments / Expenses Incurred

I've filled in the above format just for a quick reference. Some of the other costs involved are Rs2300 for the air filter, which I had changed at 12000 kms. A serious suggestion from my side, get the air filter changed at the second service, since our conditions are dusty, there's no denying that. I've even suggested the same to Triumph India, to change the schedule to air filter cleaning, once in 5000 kms and change every 10000 kms. 2k change money is a small price to pay for the longevity of the engine. The other major cost came up as tires, changed at 13500 kms, costs 21k for a set.

As per my calculation before, I had planned to run around 10000 kms in a year, or even lesser. But surprise surprise, I completed that in around 6 months, largely owing to the ease of use of the bike and the large number of group rides. So, if you're planning to use the bike occasionally, you can consider around 15k per year as maintenance cost. Also, if you're riding style is more aggressive, you'll have to change tires earlier, along with brake pads. And don't forget money spent on accessories, insurance, which will figure into the yearly expense.

Another major expense, if you're not prepared ( returning biker after a long gap, upgrading from a much smaller bike etc) is riding gear. Be prepared for around 30-40k for riding gear, as it is the most important part of riding the bike. I see most people going the extra mile to get their dream bike, and then getting stingy on the gear part. Please understand that it's the greatest insurance you can buy. Look at it as insurance against hospital bills.

Last edited by hifisharu : 16th February 2015 at 13:37. Reason: added cost towards riding gear
hifisharu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 14:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Bike : Triumph Street Triple
Model : Standard
Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) : 10,000 kms or 1year

Another major expense, if you're not prepared ( returning biker after a long gap, upgrading from a much smaller bike etc) is riding gear. Be prepared for around 30-40k for riding gear, as it is the most important part of riding the bike. I see most people going the extra mile to get their dream bike, and then getting stingy on the gear part. Please understand that it's the greatest insurance you can buy. Look at it as insurance against hospital bills.
Riding gear is THE most important element and also largely a one time investment so get a gear by stretching the budget as far as you can and at least see that all the gear pass some kind of certification (CE rated, DOT rated etc). Personally, I added them one by one as I was more or less broke in my early working years and the bike was inherited from my elder brother.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks