Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:15   #61
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India

Thanks for the information and the pics Ranjit!!

Quote:
As far as service costs are concerned, the (fairly knowledgeable) guy at the showroom said that they would do a minor checkup every 4000kms or 6 months and a major service that includes an oil change every 6000 kms. The major service would cost around Rs. 6000 - 8000 including consumables and labour. The minor service would just be greasing and tightening and checking brake pad liners and things like that. That would be around Rs 3000 - 4000. The minor service sounds suspiciously like the fear, uncertainty and doubt created by Honda service.
So basically the service interval would be :
1st Service @ 1000kms - Cost - ?
2nd Service (Minor) @ 4000kms/6 months - ~Rs 4000/-
3rd Service (Major) @ 6000kms/? months - ~Rs 8000/-

Will the first service be at 1000kms/1month or 4000kms/6 month? If it is at 1000kms/1 month - then the servicing/maintenance costs for the bikes would be high. Why can the minor and major service not be clubbed together at 6000 kms? 4000 bucks just for greasing and tightening and checking brake pad liners - seems a bit high no?
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

While there is obvious interest around the 600 cc offerings from the "Chi-Talian" manufacturer, what grabs my attention are the 899 and the 1130 bikes

The 1130 especially is VFM ..... strange thing to say for a motorcycle costing over 12 lakhs. Both these bikes are loaded with some awesome kit. Brembo brakes, performance shocks et'al in a very stiff and sporty chasis. Every single review out there has nothing but high praise for this pair. They offer some very serious performance as compared to competition ..... at least on paper

The 600s however to me do not make a strong case. Unless a 4 cylinder engine is an absolute must for me, I dont know why I would ignore the very capable, reliable and cheaper Kwacker ER6N with all the after sales support I would need. The money I would save from buying this over the Benelli would go straight to upgrading the exhaust and HEL brake lines to improve the sound and braking prowess respectively. And look at the reviews so far. There are complaints like spongy brakes, flexing chasis, unsorted and unadjustable suspension etc

The 600GT especially comes across as a "faux tourer". Its neither here nor there. And I share the doc's concerns with the width of those panniers. While one may get used to them eventually, the learning curve might be particularly nasty. And how long would those soft Pirellis last in the true "adventure" type riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I would save my money for a mid sized KTM. With an almost brand new 390, I can afford to wait for the 2 odd years that's going to take. A 690 Duke or SM or Adventure would have been perfect. But now that those are not going to happen, the 800 (more than the 500) Chakan developed and manufactured world V twin is what I have set my sights on ...
+1 Doc. The more kms I clock with my 390, the more I fall in love with it. Its a thing of beauty. With each passing day, my "complaints" have shrunk to where they are almost down to a nothing. I would be eyeing the next offering from KTM too in another couple or so years. The 390 is more than adequate for a rider of my current skill set

The one thing where our opinions may differ are on the 690's proposed replacement. As fun as that big crazy single may be, it has one short coming IMO .... a narrow powerband. If online reviews are anything to go by, the power starts to come in at around 5000 RPM and redlines at 8000. Thats seriously narrow. Maybe this new engine addresses that and the power is more evenly spread out, is torquier down in the revs and still retains all the fun and madness of the 690!! I have my faith in KTM. This company is awesomeness personified

Another off topic bit - I think everyone should ride their bike for a minimum of 5000 kms before taking a final call on whether they love it or hate it
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Therefore expectations tend to be more towards 'cutting edge' rather than merely 'does the job'. This is where the use of older technology is not going to pass the test, IMHO.

I just don't think that someone looking to spend a few lakhs on a motorcycle will settle for older technology that is replicated in China, because it defeats the purpose of paying so much $.
Quite frankly I see an advantage in it not being cutting edge technology.

A bike (striple) with cutting edge technology when launched here was taken back years in terms of technology(detuned). Why? So they can run on the fuel available here. But we still end up paying for the cutting edge technology.

Coming to the kwackers, they have the technology, they are relatively cheap compared to other cutting edge technology machines available. But will she take the fuel available in any country side fuel pump. Even the dukes and RC's are particular about the fuel that goes in (high compression).

These cheap Chinese knock offs are built to cater to the developing nations. They are detuned to take low octane fuel is what the company claims and the reviews point out too. Its a waiting game. We just have to see.

Every manufacturer have their issues.
-Harleys in Kochi took to the streets when they didn't get the right service
-triumphs were flabbergasted when the actual figures came out and everyone were furious with the way the company and the dealers handled the situation. Most promised never to buy their product.
-Kwackers sometimes have to wait months on end to get certain parts. Frustration will set in.
-Ducati left owners stranded without taking any responsibility. Most lost hopes. Their return to India is only because of their new owners. Wait and watch the prices of their replacement parts.
-Not sure if Yamaha's or Suzuki's exist in India. Rest of the world gets the R3, CBR 300, 500. In India Zilch news about it.

I would like to hear some reviews from hyosung owners regarding current service situation. Last I heard they offered home service. Technicians come home to do basic service. The same cannot be expected of Benelli's though. In Bangalore the dealer owns a Yamaha sales and service centre (Domlur) and the Benelli's will be serviced there.

Lets wait and watch.

Last edited by anilupadhya : 23rd March 2015 at 23:39.
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:52   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
Even the dukes and RC's are particular about the fuel that goes in (high compression)
Incorrect! Dukes / RC's run just fine on a dose of regular unleaded
Old 24th March 2015, 01:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite frankly I see an advantage in it not being cutting edge technology.
To each, his own. There are still quite a lot of people who buy Bullets, for instance.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 01:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
While there is obvious interest around the 600 cc offerings from the "Chi-Talian" manufacturer, what grabs my attention are the 899 and the 1130 bikes

The 600GT especially comes across as a "faux tourer". Its neither here nor there. And I share the doc's concerns with the width of those panniers. While one may get used to them eventually, the learning curve might be particularly nasty. And how long would those soft Pirellis last in the true "adventure" type riding

On a lighter note, the bike brand & the tire brand are now owned by Chinese companies- So BeneLEE and PireLEE
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 02:43   #67
BHPian

I'm going to go and buy lays but I want it to taste like Pringles. I want coke zero at the price of nimbu pani.

What's with so much complaining without even test riding the bike. Benelli is giving VFM 4 cylinders with a wide dealer network. Which Japanese company has done that or even considered it? What is the price of the cheapest tourer you know of? We have been waiting for these bikes at this price for decades. Can't we just welcome Benelli and be happy with them for doing that?

Sometimes coke zero can't do what nimbu pani can.
ashishy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 06:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to the kwackers, they have the technology, they are relatively cheap compared to other cutting edge technology machines available. But will she take the fuel available in any country side fuel pump.
As far as the N650 / ER6N is concerned - yes they can use "country side" fuel. OTOH the ZX10 needs higher octane. So cant generalize here.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 07:00   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Incorrect! Dukes / RC's run just fine on a dose of regular unleaded
Okay. I stand corrected on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
As far as the N650 / ER6N is concerned - yes they can use "country side" fuel. OTOH the ZX10 needs higher octane. So cant generalize here.
I had the inline 4 Z800 in mind when I mentioned the Kawasakis. Do you say the N650/ER6N are cutting edge technology.

Last edited by anilupadhya : 24th March 2015 at 07:18.
Old 24th March 2015, 07:33   #70
BHPian

I was there at the Bengaluru DSK Benelli showroom on Friday, that was the launch day. Attaching some pics of the bikes.

The star performer, the 1130 TNT. Looks amazing, with a generous dose of carbon fiber all around. Observations from my side that the over all fit and finish of the bike was better than the siblings, though still the instrument cluster feels dated. Bike starts with a clatter, due to the dry clutch ( which the sales guy argued with me, saying it's a wet clutch ), but sounds great when revved up. Styling is great, and will be a crowd magnet, practicality, with the side radiators, under seat exhaust, not so much

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20150320_184515897_hdr.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20150320_184507403_hdr.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20150320_184501146_hdr.jpg

Similar styling on the 899, but you can see where the differences between this and the bigger brother are. No carbon fiber end can, no hydraulic clutch etc. Riding position, ergonomics remain almost the same
DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20150320_184313243_hdr.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20150320_184301848_hdr.jpg\

The entry level performer from their stable, the 300. The bike is definitely value for money, but the cheapness is very evident. For example, look at the bolts fastening the front fender, jutting out Exposed wiring for the rear indicators, cheap quality plastic everywhere, and that hideous green. Exhaust note is great and the engine is smooth, revs very easily. Ground clearance might be a slight issue, with the under belly exhaust. Comes in two versions, one with MRF tires, one with Pirelli tires,

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20150320_184539757_hdr.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20150320_184531218_hdr.jpg

The most affordable inline 4, the 600i. Will definitely give the Er6F, Ninja 650, a run for their money. Very well priced and well specced, except for the lack of ABS. Engine runs very smooth, and has a great exhaust note.Twin under seat exhausts and decent performance, has the potential to attract a lot of customers.

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20150320_184604079_hdr.jpg

Did check out the GT too, but no pics of it. Imposing size and presence, Great value for money and the potential of being a great tourer, Comes with a humongous 27 litre fuel tank, giving a range of 500+ kms between fuel stops. Comfy seats, hard luggage and a smooth inline 4 engine. Only the styling was not to my liking, a bit too bulbous and bulky looking.

Test drives might start in a week or two, though location of the showroom is not suitable for test rides at all. Might be that they invite potential customers for test rides outside of town, as Kawasaki do. I'm hoping for a ride on the TNT 899 or the 1130R soon
hifisharu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 09:04   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
First up, the bike looks very very good in person. Nothing looks out of place. The grey with matte finish is probably the best colour out there for this bike. Other options are white and red (they use weird marketing speak like verde army, bianco and nero for colours but you get the drift)
Thanks for sharing. The matte grey is a really good colour option, white in comparison makes it look like an ugly duckling. Lamborghini uses a similar system and people rave about the awesome names used. Italians are known for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The Givi touring cases are very nice indeed and are also optional. They cost Rs. 40,000 extra. Fully removable, lockable and are the bees knees. The labels inside said that they were rated till 120kmph. I didn't even know what that meant (does it fly off in all directions beyond that?)
To my knowledge, if touring cases are speed rated, it basically means that they will not cause problems while riding upto that speed. Beyond that there might be some turbulence caused by those big panniers that will marginally impact the riding experience and are hence not recommended by the manufacturer. Oh and full points for getting in the term the bees knees
Old 24th March 2015, 09:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
( which the sales guy argued with me, saying it's a wet clutch ),
Even I had the same argument with him. He showed me the picture of dry clutch cover and asked me to search for it. DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-1427167815181.jpg.

Did not find them on the bikes
DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-1427167891287.jpg
Both bikes did not have the open clutch covers. I guess they must be dry but covered?

He said its available only if the owner is willing to risk it considering our dusty roads.

I guess I was in the showroom the same time you were. I was particularly interested in the GT. Took some pics of 600s
DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-1427168214465.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-1427168257457.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-1427168289458.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-1427168335044.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-1427168368824.jpg

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-1427168392187.jpg

Last edited by anilupadhya : 24th March 2015 at 09:21.
anilupadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 09:45   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post

Comes with a humongous 27 litre fuel tank, giving a range of 500+ kms between fuel stops.
Are you sure about that? Assuming 25 litres of usable fuel, will the inline 4 600cc engine give an average of 20 Kmpl? I would be very surprised if so!
Old 24th March 2015, 09:50   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Are you sure about that? Assuming 25 litres of usable fuel, will the inline 4 600cc engine give an average of 20 Kmpl? I would be very surprised if so!
It should easily. Even with a mixed riding of city, highway and some decently hard riding in the twisties, the Z800 gives me an indicated 19.2 kmpl. Given that GT would be mostly a highway tourer, you can easily expect 20 kmpl, if not more.
TheCelestial is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 10:30   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks for the information and the pics Ranjit!!

Will the first service be at 1000kms/1month or 4000kms/6 month? If it is at 1000kms/1 month - then the servicing/maintenance costs for the bikes would be high. Why can the minor and major service not be clubbed together at 6000 kms? 4000 bucks just for greasing and tightening and checking brake pad liners - seems a bit high no?

First service at 1000kms which is free.

Minor service every 4000kms which includes minor tightening and checkup. The chap I was talking to indicated that it should cost between Rs.2000 - Rs. 4000 depending on what needed to get done including labour.

Major service every 6000 kms which includes oil change. They recommend synthetic which costs around Rs. 1100. The bike needs 4 litres I believe. Cost ~Rs. 6000-8000.

So here's the service interval according to the guy I was talking to.
1000 kms or a month - First Service.
4000 kms or 6 months - Minor service
6000 kms or 12 months - Major service
10000 kms or 18 months - Minor service
12000 kms or 24 months - Major service.

And so on.

The need for a minor service sounds a little baffling. The cost seems a high. Perhaps it is an average cost spread over a longer period. Or it could be an overestimation by the advisor. Only time will tell when someone factually confirms this.

The cost of the major service sounds okay to me.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks