Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:15   #136
BHPian

Re: Should I Buy a used Ninja 650?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Yes, it definitely does make a difference and it has been well documented in the older Ninja 650 threads on our forum.
That's what I have been reading as well.

Quote:
Both the Himalayan and Ninja 650 are good bikes in their own rights though one is clearly much better engineered than the other.
Well, I was sold on the Himalayan as it checks all the boxes in my list. I am not too keen on middle/big bikes as they draw too much attention. But this offer of a N650 at the same price as a new Himalayan has really got me thinking.

I mean, a part of me wants a powerful, well-engineered bike. Having ridden it, the N650 has always put a smile on my face.

Quote:
I cant help but think that the ABS safety net should play a role in your decision making.
Exactly my concern. No-ABS is a big no for me, but then the mouth watering price

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I'm not sure I'd buy a bike without ABS today, so, perhaps for sane, sensible road riding you're thinking in the right manner.
You and me both.

Quote:
Better brake pads and steel braided lines will improve any bikes stopping power, lack of ABS and traction control(?) however will limit what a normal rider can do. Even if you have better than average skills, I'd still want the tech.
I want the tech too, but the price has really made be reconsider my decision of buying a Himalayan.

Quote:
At altitudes, Bikes lose performance, hence, in demanding conditions, an interceptor with larger displacement, will work better than the Himalayan. Other options are the BMW 310 or Ktm 390, both of which will suffer from performance related issues under luggage at altitude. Despite that, in your situation, I'd buy the 390 or Interceptor and be happy for years.
I don't want to buy an Interceptor because I don't trust any first-gen RE. I know that it's been engineered well etc etc. But I don't want to be a guinea pig.

BMW is way to expensive for what it offers. And, the Duke 390, it doesn't appeal to me. If manic acceleration was my thing, why not buy the used N650 then? The biggest downside being the lack of ABS.
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:20   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

At this age and time, ABS should be the first requirement in any bike purchase. Please buy a bike with ABS. I recently picked a pre owned 2017 Ninja 650 myself, and i am very happy with the bike.

I would suggest to save up and get a preowned Ninja, also it would be a nightmare to ride a ninja in Spiti, the low GC means it scrapes speedbreakers.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:05   #138
Senior - BHPian

Whats your usage? I think a Dominar will be your best bet to get back to riding.

Himalayan may also be a good choice but I would rate Dominar above Himalayan on convenience. The Himalayan is very heavy.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:23   #139
Senior - BHPian

I am being offered 2 Lacs for a 2013 Ninja 650. Only thing that prevented me from buying that bike is lack of ABS. For this type of bikes, it's not how fast they accelerate, it's how fast and safely they come to a stop. I would also have suggested you Harley 750, but that also does'nt have ABS, seriously donot know how the market heads of these companies think.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:23   #140
Senior - BHPian

Long story short, save and get a better bike. The Himalayan is junk. I ve taken it where you intend to take it and it was nothing short of crap ( I am from the same town as you). I have access to a used Tiger 800 for those kind of trips now.
A used but newer 650 should be something you need to be looking at. Or even the 650 twins from RE. They are holding up well from what I hear from people who have spent some time with them.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:19   #141
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
You are right on the brakes part, they are not confidence inspiring at all. Will better brake pads and steel braided lines make a difference?
I have braided lines and tried ebc extreme pro pads, they are definitely better than stock, but no where as good as they are supposed to be. When I jump on to my friends versys, the brakes feel like they are at whole different level and the Ninja650 brakes are far far behind.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:54   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
At this age and time, ABS should be the first requirement in any bike purchase. Please buy a bike with ABS. I recently picked a pre owned 2017 Ninja 650 myself, and i am very happy with the bike.

I would suggest to save up and get a preowned Ninja, also it would be a nightmare to ride a ninja in Spiti, the low GC means it scrapes speedbreakers.
Cant second Athek more - in this day and age - buying a non-ABS "big" bike is sheer stupidity. Ninja 650 is capable of pretty crazy speeds - ABS is a safety net you should must have.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:41   #143
BHPian

Re: The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!

Thanks for the inputs folks.

The lack of ABS is something I don't think I would be able to live with. I'll be letting go of the offer.
Old 8th August 2019, 16:35   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Thanks for the inputs folks.

The lack of ABS is something I don't think I would be able to live with. I'll be letting go of the offer.

You did the right choice. Take a few more rides on the Himalayan and come to a decision
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks