Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:57   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Thanks for the response! So no customs issues nothing? Door delivered? Does it come with the well washers? I've been toying with getting one for my bike.

thanks for the pics!

cheers!

Amazon deals with the customs and yes, door delivered. The package comes with only the windshield, no washers. It is an exact fit for the stock mount, so all you've to do is remove the stock windshield and put the one from Zero Gravity.
Old 4th May 2017, 17:00   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!

Hello Anil, and other ninja owners out there, I felt this was an appropriate place to ask you all for some suggestions. I had been a silent reader all the while and somehow have been sold on the Ninja. Though that may sound simple, the issue here is compared to the H4WK graduating from a smaller bike to a bigger one, here I am aiming to double graduate from a gearless scooter to a Ninja. Though that might have dropped jaws to some of you here, I have always loved the way my Dio can pull away in city speeds flawlessly. Its on open and empty roads that it runs out of steam and things get boring. Hence, I thought of an upgrade. Secondly, I am interested to ride solo occasionally to nearby places out of which my native place and farm 70kms away from here is an attractive place to ride two wheels than four. This is done very frequently and most of the times I visit it in my car all alone. Hence, I want to have a different experience.

Why do I want to jump into a 300cc bike(Ninja) directly?
  • The refined twin cylinder engine
  • Its difficult for me to convince family repeatedly, suppose I should upgrade to a smaller bike, and then move on to higher classes. Though I fund the bike myself, repeatedly changing bikes will make my family feel I am blowing too much money on it though it neednt really be like that
  • For the kind of usage I will be putting it to, anything bigger will be overkill, and anything lesser might be disappointing, and cause point 2. The primary usage will be office runs once a week or two at the most(empty roads in the morning and part dense in the evening). Apart from this, a ride to my native once a month and a longer ride once a month or so. Weekends can invite a breakfast ride too.
  • A few years to go before I marry, I think this is the best time to invest in a bike and enjoy.
  • I am not interested in a single cylinder big displacement bike, and the Yamaha R3 though is a cheaper option, is not as exclusive as a ninja.
  • I know that the 300 might look overpriced, but I dont want that to be a reason to look higher. I can afford the 300 without stretching or burdening my finances, and I want to stick to the 4L bracket.
The concerns:
  • The biggest concern I have is handling the ninja. I have ridden bikes occasionally only, and do have a licence for the same. But the most powerful bike I had tried was the Karizma which I used to get to ride a few times when I was in college. Apart from that, I had also rode the Apache 180. I was comfortable with both, but never used them on a daily basis. Now, I am not sure if I can even take a TD of the Ninja nor do I should take one.
  • Has anyone been in a similar situation? I am ok with going very slow and easy with the bike and not push it, but will this strategy work? Say, I take it out initially only in empty roads and off peak times, and then get the hang of it.
  • Is buying the Ninja a good option or are there better alternatives at the same price point?
  • I see that there is no ABS version available. That is another limiting factor for me since being a newbie to bikes I will definitely end up braking the front wheels, and without ABS it might be a bad idea. Hence, eagerly waiting if there would be an ABS variant at launch.
Please share your views on this and let me know what should be the best approach to be followed in such a scenario. Also if I should go ahead with the Ninja, or really think of a smaller bike at first and then upgrade. It will be a good start to the discussion.

Thanks in advance
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 09:17   #123
BHPian

Hey Audioholic, Ninja 300 is an amazing ride and will be supremely intoxicating given the double graduation logic you mentioned. Unless you fancy the fairings much I suggest to check out the z250. It's the latest sub 300cc launch from kawasaki and specs like N300. Also, when I had the N300, the fairings made the bike an attention magnet and served as wide canvas for passersby to touch/scratch.

And as long as you have patience to re-learn riding dynamics and make connection with Ninja/Z/any other, you should be just fine. Hope that helps. Cheers!
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 15:02   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hello Anil, and other ninja owners out there, I felt this was an appropriate place to ask you all for some suggestions. I had been a silent reader all the while and somehow have been sold on the Ninja. Though that may sound simple, the issue here is compared to the H4WK graduating from a smaller bike to a bigger one, here I am aiming to double graduate from a gearless scooter to a Ninja. Though that might have dropped jaws to some of you here, I have always loved the way my Dio can pull away in city speeds flawlessly. Its on open and empty roads that it runs out of steam and things get boring. Hence, I thought of an upgrade. Secondly, I am interested to ride solo occasionally to nearby places out of which my native place and farm 70kms away from here is an attractive place to ride two wheels than four. This is done very frequently and most of the times I visit it in my car all alone. Hence, I want to have a different experience.

Why do I want to jump into a 300cc bike(Ninja) directly?
  • The refined twin cylinder engine
  • Its difficult for me to convince family repeatedly, suppose I should upgrade to a smaller bike, and then move on to higher classes. Though I fund the bike myself, repeatedly changing bikes will make my family feel I am blowing too much money on it though it neednt really be like that
  • For the kind of usage I will be putting it to, anything bigger will be overkill, and anything lesser might be disappointing, and cause point 2. The primary usage will be office runs once a week or two at the most(empty roads in the morning and part dense in the evening). Apart from this, a ride to my native once a month and a longer ride once a month or so. Weekends can invite a breakfast ride too.
  • A few years to go before I marry, I think this is the best time to invest in a bike and enjoy.
  • I am not interested in a single cylinder big displacement bike, and the Yamaha R3 though is a cheaper option, is not as exclusive as a ninja.
  • I know that the 300 might look overpriced, but I dont want that to be a reason to look higher. I can afford the 300 without stretching or burdening my finances, and I want to stick to the 4L bracket.
Looks like you've done you're homework

Quote:
The concerns:[list][*]The biggest concern I have is handling the ninja. I have ridden bikes occasionally only, and do have a licence for the same. But the most powerful bike I had tried was the Karizma which I used to get to ride a few times when I was in college. Apart from that, I had also rode the Apache 180. I was comfortable with both, but never used them on a daily basis. Now, I am not sure if I can even take a TD of the Ninja nor do I should take one.
If you think you're out of touch of touch with riding a motorcycle, borrow a bike from your friend and just ride it around until you get a hang of it. The N300 isn't very different from a Karizma or Apache in terms of controlling a bike, so you should be fine. When you take the bike out for TD, take a few minutes to get comfortable with it. Learn the controls, gear and brake positions, switch controls and then take it out for a spin.

Quote:
[*]Has anyone been in a similar situation? I am ok with going very slow and easy with the bike and not push it, but will this strategy work? Say, I take it out initially only in empty roads and off peak times, and then get the hang of it.
It's not rocket science. You would get comfortable with the bike and how it handles within a matter of days. However, don't push the bike too far too soon. These are fast machines and if you don't learn to handle them properly, they can teach you a lesson or two.

Start with early morning breakfast rides. Find friends to ride with initially and then you can go solo if you'd like. Each time, increase the distance you travel and the scenery. This will help you learn how your bike handles and also will help boost your confidence. Most of all, respect the machine. She will do as you command, but you gotta know how to command.

My friends and I have a favourite route that we ride - the Anchetty Loop. We call it the Training Grounds as it has straights, curves, uphill, downhill, narrow roads, bad roads - you name it. We keep visiting this place time and again as a refresher of sorts

If you need company to ride, holler.

Quote:
[*]Is buying the Ninja a good option or are there better alternatives at the same price point?
You first need to decide whether you want a naked bike or a faired one. Then shortlist the options that are available and then whether it fits your budget and so on and so forth. This will help you narrow down your choices.

Like wangdu has mentioned, do try out the Z250 too.

Quote:
[*]I see that there is no ABS version available. That is another limiting factor for me since being a newbie to bikes I will definitely end up braking the front wheels, and without ABS it might be a bad idea. Hence, eagerly waiting if there would be an ABS variant at launch.
I've been riding the Ninja 650, which also doesn't have ABS, for more than two years and I've never felt the need for ABS. Sure, it a good thing to have, but in the absence of ABS, controlling the bike in panic situations will depend on the rider's skill and believe you me, it is a great skill to have; comes with practice.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 15:31   #125
Senior - BHPian

Sorry fellas! I've been busy and haven't put pictures from the track as promised. Well, here are some of the pictures of Toothless and me taken on the track by Aditya Bedre's team at the California Superbike School 2017:

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-_adu9085.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-_adi2987.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-_adi3106.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-_adi3248.jpg

That's my coach for Day 3 Lyle, right behind me:
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-_adi3395.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-_adu8965.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-pra_7027.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-pra_8933.jpg

Sighting lap after it rained at MMRT:
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-sat_0529.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-sat_3445.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 5th May 2017 at 15:32.
IronH4WK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 20:56   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Hey Audioholic, Ninja 300 is an amazing ride and will be supremely intoxicating given the double graduation logic you mentioned. Unless you fancy the fairings much I suggest to check out the z250. It's the latest sub 300cc launch from kawasaki and specs like N300. Also, when I had the N300, the fairings made the bike an attention magnet and served as wide canvas for passersby to touch/scratch.!
Thanks for the reply. The Z250 too caught my attention especially the front. Apart from the ninja, the Z is next on my list. I am looking for a faired bike since I want the internals to be covered and a naked bike is tedious to clean and detail if mud or dirt reaches the engine area. Maybe I will see these two side by side and check out the appeal factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Looks like you've done you're homework

If you think you're out of touch of touch with riding a motorcycle, borrow a bike from your friend and just ride it around until you get a hang of it. The N300 isn't very different from a Karizma or Apache in terms of controlling a bike, so you should be fine.

Start with early morning breakfast rides. Find friends to ride with initially and then you can go solo if you'd like. Each time, increase the distance you travel and the scenery. This will help you learn how your bike handles and also will help boost your confidence. Most of all, respect the machine. She will do as you command, but you gotta know how to command.

If you need company to ride, holler.
You first need to decide whether you want a naked bike or a faired one. Then shortlist the options that are available and then whether it fits your budget and so on and so forth. This will help you narrow down your choices.

Like wangdu has mentioned, do try out the Z250 too.
I've been riding the Ninja 650, which also doesn't have ABS, for more than two years and I've never felt the need for ABS. Sure, it a good thing to have, but in the absence of ABS, controlling the bike in panic situations will depend on the rider's skill and believe you me, it is a great skill to have; comes with practice.
Thanks a lot for taking time and giving that detailed reply. I am planning to do some bit of riding before I get my hands on a TD bike. Really dont want to risk taking out the bike from the showroom straight into the crowded main roads. Planning to check out some bike rentals for the same. I could then take it out in the night or maybe when the roads are empty and get a hang of the power output and also braking + downshifting.

Once I buy the bike, I will definitely come to the topic of breakfast rides Of course, I will be easy with the bike until I establish a good connect with it.

ABS still makes me worry. Maybe I will rent out a Ninja and check out the braking behaviour. I had a bad accident in college when I had someone crossing the road ahead of me and I slammed the front brakes of my Old Bajaj wave scooter. It led to a nasty skid and fall. From then, I am very cautious with the Dio and the pathetic drum brakes are one reason I cant push it much. Hence I ride conservatively. With the bike, the rear brake duty shifts to the leg which might aggravate the problem when I want to brake in an emergency. I am worried I will hit only the front brakes and the rest is not unthinkable.

Maybe renting out the Ninja would be a nice thing to do I guess seeing all your tips. Thats the best way I can seal my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Sorry fellas! I've been busy and haven't put pictures from the track as promised. Well, here are some of the pictures of Toothless and me taken on the track by Aditya Bedre's team at the California Superbike School 2017:

That's my coach for Day 3 Lyle, right behind m]
Absolute drool stuff man! Wish I could do this someday. Sorry to hijack your thread though, this is what it is actually meant for..
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 07:58   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a faired bike since I want the internals to be covered and a naked bike is tedious to clean and detail if mud or dirt reaches the engine area. Maybe I will see these two side by side and check out the appeal factor.
Cleaning a faired bike, after it has gone through slush, is more painful as compared to a naked bike

Also, heat dissipation is faster in a naked.

Quote:
With the bike, the rear brake duty shifts to the leg which might aggravate the problem when I want to brake in an emergency. I am worried I will hit only the front brakes and the rest is not unthinkable.
Riders have the tendency to grab the front brakes in the event of panic situation. This can be overcome with practice. Also, there is a technique to using the front brake - do not just grab and squeeze; tap it gently (pre-load) and then squeeze. This gives you the best braking performance. I know it sounds slow, but it happens very fast once it becomes second nature. Remember: slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

There are situations where you can use only the front brakes and there are situations where you'll need to use both. Once you spend time with your bike, you'll know which situation requires which. Practice makes perfect.
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 09:47   #128
Senior - BHPian

Couple of more pictures from the track:

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043136.527445.jpg

Briefing area:
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043215.501112.jpg

Parking lot (group-wise):
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043255.553995.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043317.672186.jpg

Yellow group waiting to head out on to the track:
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043364.432231.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043424.294271.jpg

The track:
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043483.383461.jpg

Jugaad to not lose your key
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043532.170724.jpg

On Day 2, it rained; first time in the history of CSS.
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043641.693694.jpg

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043731.655933.jpg

Day 3: the interesting stuff - practicing the Hook Turn.
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043824.994870.jpg
That's coach Lyle showing us how it's done.

White group going on to the track:
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043887.909897.jpg
That's AnkurS and Niranjanrvce.

After finishing the last lap on Day 3; tired as hell.
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494043989.573283.jpg

Certified! Level 1, 2 and 3!
The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494044063.939536.jpg
That's head coach Garry giving away the certificates.

The Ninja & me - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494044157.107576.jpg

It was a wonderful experience, which I would recommend to every biker who wants to fine tune his/her riding skills. It is a revelation.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 6th May 2017 at 09:51.
IronH4WK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 09:05   #129
BHPian

Anil, Wonderful to see you learning things on the track

When you have time, please share your feedback/thoughts on these things :-
1. Lessons/tips you learnt on the riding techniques. Also the lessons that you un-learnt
2. Overall feedback on taking N650 to tracks.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 10:31   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Anil, Wonderful to see you learning things on the track

When you have time, please share your feedback/thoughts on these things :-
1. Lessons/tips you learnt on the riding techniques. Also the lessons that you un-learnt
2. Overall feedback on taking N650 to tracks.
I can tell you about the second one right now - it's an incredible experience! I would recommend it to you. No traffic coming the opposite way, no dogs and cows crossing the path and you can push your bike and yourself to do (not stupid) stuff you could never ever have done on the public roads.

For the first, well, you've to wait for my write-up on CSS - coming soon to a thread near you

Last edited by IronH4WK : 9th May 2017 at 10:32.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 21:25   #131
BHPian

Should I Buy a used Ninja 650?

Hello people,

So I am seriously confused right now.

A good friend of mine sold his 2013 7200 km run Ninja 650 in Dec 2018. The guy whom my friend sold it to wants to sell it now.

Now, the bike is a non-abs model.

I sold my RE CL500 in Sept 2018, after having having ridden it for more than 50k kms. In Feb 2018 I met with a bad accident where a kid on a motorbike jumped the red light, T-boned me (my light was green; I was going at 60kmph). I ended up with a broken collar bone and 4 shattered ribs. This accident really shook my confidence.

So the itch to ride is back and I have been looking to buy a new bike. The use is going to be mostly short rides on the weekend, occasional ride to the high mountains once a year (Spiti etc. about 800-1000 km ride), and once or twice a week ride to work (17 kms of easy, smooth, negligible traffic roads). Most of the rides are going to be with my wife.

I was set to buy a Himalayan, but now I am getting this N650 at almost the same price. Hence, the dilemma. The non-ABS bit has me a bit confused, since the accident has taken a mental toll on me (physical as well).

So I am not sure if I should purchase the N650 or go for a Himalayan (which comes with ABS). Also, I am well-acquainted with this N650, having ridden it on and off, so I am no stranger to middle/big bikes.

Also, what service costs should I look at for the N650? Given the bike will be serviced at the max twice a year.

Please advice.

Last edited by cataclysm : 1st August 2019 at 21:26.
Old 1st August 2019, 23:18   #132
rbp
BHPian

Honestly if I were you, I would go for the RE interceptor, the last gen N650 is too old now, Non-ABS is a big no, also the prev gen Ninja650 has horrible brakes and spares aren't cheap either.

FYI, I own a 2012 N650
rbp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:54   #133
BHPian

Re: Should I Buy a used Ninja 650?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Honestly if I were you, I would go for the RE interceptor, the last gen N650 is too old now, Non-ABS is a big no, also the prev gen Ninja650 has horrible brakes and spares aren't cheap either.

FYI, I own a 2012 N650
The lack of ABS has me thinking. That's the whole confusion. You are right on the brakes part, they are not confidence inspiring at all. Will better brake pads and steel braided lines make a difference?

I am not really looking to buy an Interceptor (at least not before mid-2020), I would rather purchase a Himalayan.
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:51   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
You are right on the brakes part, they are not confidence inspiring at all. Will better brake pads and steel braided lines make a difference?
Yes, it definitely does make a difference and it has been well documented in the older Ninja 650 threads on our forum. Both the Himalayan and Ninja 650 are good bikes in their own rights though one is clearly much better engineered than the other.

I cant help but think that the ABS safety net should play a role in your decision making.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:52   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
The lack of ABS has me thinking. That's the whole confusion. You are right on the brakes part, they are not confidence inspiring at all. Will better brake pads and steel braided lines make a difference?

I am not really looking to buy an Interceptor (at least not before mid-2020), I would rather purchase a Himalayan.
I'm not sure I'd buy a bike without ABS today, so, perhaps for sane, sensible road riding you're thinking in the right manner. Better brake pads and steel braided lines will improve any bikes stopping power, lack of ABS and traction control(?) however will limit what a normal rider can do. Even if you have better than average skills, I'd still want the tech.

At altitudes, Bikes lose performance, hence, in demanding conditions, an interceptor with larger displacement, will work better than the Himalayan. Other options are the BMW 310 or Ktm 390, both of which will suffer from performance related issues under luggage at altitude. Despite that, in your situation, I'd buy the 390 or Interceptor and be happy for years.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed