Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 12:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Thank you sir! I would be going for the lamps that are mounted inside the Engine guard. not the one's beside the main headlights.

The foot controls are initially tedious. Particularly if you are coming from a sportster / sports-bike where the feet is pretty close to the brake lever.

Here it takes a ride or two to get used to the positioning. I tried shifting with the heel, and find it taxing. But my buddy @Warlock - is more than happy to be using the toe and heel for shifting.

The brake lever - again - once you get a hang of where it is - its easily reachable.

And trust me -- The brakes on the Softail's are SO much better!

#LLB
Sir i am not sure how that would look, but i am sure they would look nice. I am a Terminator inspired guy so the lights on the fatboy posted above is my liking.

With the Td that they give, i just could not get the hang of the gears, and rightly said coming from a sports bike..one really can't come to terms with these gears and brake position. I guess for us it would take more than a couple of rides to get used to. I think in the city this bike would be troublesome due to the weight and the heat it must be generating, long highway rides it would be pure heaven.

The softails the flagship and a pure gem of a machine..soft suspension, good brakes, excellent ride quality and the looks to make heads turn.
Old 8th April 2015, 02:38   #47
BHPian

Shubz! Congrats on getting the new member home. Absolute head turner of a color and I can only imagine the sight to behold in broad daylight. Also - Shubz - considering most of parking lots in and around the city are uneven - sloping towards the front tyre, how difficult is it to pull the Boy back to get back riding? Have you tried sitting on the vehicle and backing up with you leg muscles alone? Silly questions I know but curious to know if the weight can be handles on solo rides.

Happy Munching them miles sir. I see 555 is already up and its been what? a week?
Darth_Vader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 11:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Vader View Post
Shubz! Congrats on getting the new member home. Absolute head turner of a color and I can only imagine the sight to behold in broad daylight. Also - Shubz - considering most of parking lots in and around the city are uneven - sloping towards the front tyre, how difficult is it to pull the Boy back to get back riding? Have you tried sitting on the vehicle and backing up with you leg muscles alone? Silly questions I know but curious to know if the weight can be handles on solo rides.

Happy Munching them miles sir. I see 555 is already up and its been what? a week?
Darth! Thank you so very much!

1 - I would never dream of leaving Rambo in some parking lot and not be in sight of it.

2 - Got to be mindful of where one parks. You are doomed if you park the bike where the front is sloping down

3 - Its a herculean task to just use leg power to pull the monster back single-leggedly (pun) It needs the typical "Harley brotherhood" pull that is ridiculed by many.

4 - I may not be that bulky a person, but even the more stronger one's do need assistance pulling it back.

#LLB
Old 8th April 2015, 11:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3 - Its a herculean task to just use leg power to pull the monster back single-leggedly (pun)
#LLB
Mate,

Did face this problem with my FZ-1 as well. Suggest you to park it in the reverse which makes it easier to park and whilst getting away from the spot...you have the engine power to pull you through.

Off course you need to make it a healthy practice and will go a long way where one tends to embarrass himself
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 12:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,

Did face this problem with my FZ-1 as well. Suggest you to park it in the reverse which makes it easier to park and whilst getting away from the spot...you have the engine power to pull you through.

Off course you need to make it a healthy practice and will go a long way where one tends to embarrass himself
Its become a habit now to park reverse and not have to seem like a clown by trying to pull the bike backwards! :-)

Even with the AW, 99 times out of 100, i used to park it facing the direction of next travel. so that habit continues. Except for example on our Sunday ride - we stopped by Star Biriyani @ Ambur and parked it head on (without reversing) - That was for the fact that the approach was plain - no slope - and post lunch It didn't take much effort at rolling the bike backwards - thanks to the smooth floor
Old 8th April 2015, 12:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its become a habit now to park reverse and not have to seem like a clown by trying to pull the bike backwards! :-)
Ahh...Getting there chief nice. (Or Already gotten there)
Many a times we would just be overwhelmed with the size of these fine machines but they can be handled with elegance.

Seen many a times where majority of riders fret to get these bikes over the parking lot.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 12:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1 - I would never dream of leaving Rambo in some parking lot and not be in sight of it.

#LLB
Shubz- first of all, congrats on getting THE Harley!

as re. the quoted text, doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose of buying a bike-freedom to go wherever you want, without a worry in the world? . Given the lack of civic sense in our country, I totally empathize with you, but this is one major factor why I'm having a serious rethink about getting a Harley. I don't want to be constrained in my use of the bike.

Hope you enjoy many miles on your beauty.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 13:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Shubz- first of all, congrats on getting THE Harley!

as re. the quoted text, doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose of buying a bike-freedom to go wherever you want, without a worry in the world? . Given the lack of civic sense in our country, I totally empathize with you, but this is one major factor why I'm having a serious rethink about getting a Harley. I don't want to be constrained in my use of the bike.

Hope you enjoy many miles on your beauty.
Himanshu - You may want to read it as below

"I wouldn't park the Rambo at road-side parking (general two wheeler parking in malls etc."

Doesn't mean that I would park and pitch a tent beside the bike wherever I go.

So please expand your horizon of thinking and don't have to rethink getting a Harley for a flimsy reason as this!

Go for it if you have it on your mind! You will not be constrained as long as you are sure about where you are riding. :-)

#LLB
Shubz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 12:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir! I would be going for the lamps that are mounted inside the Engine guard. not the one's beside the main headlights.

The foot controls are initially tedious. Particularly if you are coming from a sportster / sports-bike where the feet is pretty close to the brake lever.

Here it takes a ride or two to get used to the positioning. I tried shifting with the heel, and find it taxing. But my buddy @Warlock - is more than happy to be using the toe and heel for shifting.

The brake lever - again - once you get a hang of where it is - its easily reachable.

And trust me -- The brakes on the Softail's are SO much better!

#LLB
The foot controls do take a bit of getting used to. I dare say the brake lever is easier to adjust to.

The heel-toe shift takes some time. I initially shifted only using the toe, but found that I was straining the tendon in my foot. Changed to heel-toe shifting and though it looks like a bit of a tap dance works well for me. The tap-dance also does make you move the leg a bit. I'm not very tall, so the slightly spread leg position took some time getting used to as well.

Slightly off this issue: But unlike the sporsters the engine is very torquey and certainly hates being lugged at low rpm in higher gears. Riding in city traffic can be a tab tiring on the Fatty, but the grin that breaks out on your face when you get on the open road more than makes up for the time spent twiddling thumbs in traffic.
Old 9th April 2015, 13:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
The foot controls do take a bit of getting used to. I dare say the brake lever is easier to adjust to.

The heel-toe shift takes some time. I initially shifted only using the toe, but found that I was straining the tendon in my foot. Changed to heel-toe shifting and though it looks like a bit of a tap dance works well for me. The tap-dance also does make you move the leg a bit. I'm not very tall, so the slightly spread leg position took some time getting used to as well.

Slightly off this issue: But unlike the sporsters the engine is very torquey and certainly hates being lugged at low rpm in higher gears. Riding in city traffic can be a tab tiring on the Fatty, but the grin that breaks out on your face when you get on the open road more than makes up for the time spent twiddling thumbs in traffic.
Oh sir! so very well put! these bikes hate being lugged at low rev's and immediately protest!

The slightly spread leg seating position does induce a bit of cramping at the hip joint - JUST for the first ride - As I was holding my body stiff trying to get used to the posture. The second ride was much more relaxed and I eased in better to the posture.

Looking forward to the BIG one - WHR!
Old 9th April 2015, 13:47   #56
BHPian

Shubz & Warlock,

First of all congratulations on your bikes!! It is something that you guys will keep for life I'm sure. I guess after this any other bike may not make sense, Fatty fulfills your riding needs pretty well!

Perhaps CVO few years down the line

It is indeed a pleasure to see you guys riding these machines so well and a pleasure to ride with!

And you need help out of parking, just give a shout if I'm around, happy to help

LLB is proud to be riding with both of you and 5 other Fatties. Hoping to see the 8th and 9th one, soon!!

Wish you both years and years of happy and safe riding!

Rakesh
rakesh_S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 11:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Rakesh sir - You are a pleasure to ride with!

Yesterday we rode a certain distance up to CR Patna.

More I ride, more I am getting used to the posture (this is a no-brainer anyway)

Notable change - I consciously tried to "tap dance" (that is use heel to upshift) - Initially it felt funny. couple of time my heel rested on the joint where the levers meet. But after a few steps - I kind of felt Ok to deal with it. Just that sometimes it inadvertently went to toe shifting.

This bike is really "Front heavy" - can feel it when you take it off from standstill and if the ground underneath is not firm.

In all this - I crossed the first milestone 1000 kms!

So kind of run-in done before the WHR (i know, i know its 1600 KMS but I can't do another 600 before Wednesday)

Bike will be going for its first service a tad pre-maturedly but I think its is worth doing the long haul with fresh oil.

some pics here!

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-img_2010.jpg
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-10411334_10153308154587009_6481995172934024026_n.jpg
Shubz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 12:04   #58
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Sir, it has been hardly two weeks into your ownership period with the Fatty and you have crossed a ton !

That is some serious riding sir ji. All the very best for the Western HOG Ride to Aurangabad.
Old 13th April 2015, 12:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Sir, it has been hardly two weeks into your ownership period with the Fatty and you have crossed a ton !

That is some serious riding sir ji. All the very best for the Western HOG Ride to Aurangabad.
Thanks sir! Looking forward to that!

So in continuation.. In preparation I got these

KNOX Hand Armour Covert Glove - 2014

Saddlemen BR1800 sissy bar bag!

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-img_1911.jpg
Review of the glove will be put up in the appropriate Section.
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-img_1876.jpg
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-img_1875.jpg
Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 13:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow that's some serious mile crunching you are doing there.

With the bike being more stabler am sure you are enjoying the ride. What are the service intervals for this bike? Is it the same as Sportsters?

Most Viewed