Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2015, 14:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!

So a quick dash to Kanyakumari and back over the Weekend. Started off on Saturday Morning. 6:00 AM (but we started rolling around 6:30ish). Ran into a bit of traffic on the way, till Salem and then it was a breeze. Amazing ride! My riding mate had kept a surprise in store for me! The countless windmill farm just before reaching Kanyakumari. The view was breathtaking. Rambo stood still in the gusts of the wind, thanks to his weight, but the friends Iron was bobbing around. Return was super quick Started almost around 7:00 AM and with all breaks included - was home at 3:55 pm just before all hell broke loose with the Rain gods going crazy! Some pics from the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-img_4544.jpg  

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-img_4549.jpg  

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-img_4567.jpg  

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-img_4568.jpg  

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-11008587_803941996320993_1411353346794321197_o.jpg  

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-11231766_803941952987664_2552302813698622348_o.jpg  

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-11312805_803941909654335_3252172462671170450_o.jpg  

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-11237574_10153443258462009_7879625346053497475_n.jpg  

Last edited by Shubz : 1st June 2015 at 14:40.
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 14:49   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Some little visual appeal stuff went on Rambo!

Wind deflectors (I promise to put up better pics over the weekend.)
Attachment 1376162
Interesting concept Shubz. Would love to see clearer photos to understand how they work.

P.S. Just saw your follow-on post.

Last edited by ebonho : 1st June 2015 at 14:51.
Old 1st June 2015, 19:13   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So a quick dash to Kanyakumari and back over the Weekend. Started off on Saturday Morning. 6:00 AM (but we started rolling around 6:30ish).
Oh wow, that is quite some very impressive mile munching over two days. We rode to Yercaud on Saturday and I think we spotted you guys riding past when we had stopped at Shoolagiri for breakfast.

I am most intrigued by the wind deflectors, how did they perform on your long ride? Can you share feedback on a before and after experience with the wind deflectors?

Any plans on getting a windscreen as well?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 19:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!

We stopped at Shoolagiri for breakfast. I noticed a drop in mileage. Not sure if I can attribute that to the deflector or inconsistent quality of fuel. No plans of wind shield. But plan to go for the headlight nasal kit.

What were you guys riding Neil?

Last edited by Shubz : 1st June 2015 at 19:37.
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:52   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We stopped at Shoolagiri for breakfast. I noticed a drop in mileage. Not sure if I can attribute that to the deflector or inconsistent quality of fuel. No plans of wind shield. But plan to go for the headlight nasal kit.

What were you guys riding Neil?
In that case it was another couple of HD riders that we had spotted go by the Shoolagiri stop. We were a group of two D390s and one Continental GT.

Other than the drop in mileage, did you find any differences with the wind deflectors? Any clear benefits? Your long ride would have been a perfect test for their real world performance.
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:21   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if I can attribute that to the deflector or inconsistent quality of fuel. ?
Shubz,

The drop in mileage can be attributed more to the low quality of fuel rather than the wind deflectors. However would be keen to hear your feedback.

How was the mileage when you filled her for the first time on the trip?
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:35   #97
BHPian

I try and avoid reading any write up regarding HDs on this forum. The simple reason being it makes me green with envy. Controlled the envy today and read your report and got to know how much I missed by not reading such a beautiful and detailed review of a top class bike from HD.

I too keep going on rides but invariably keep choosing the wrong destinations to test the capabilities of my Baron and myself most of the time.

Eventhough it's late, let me still congratulate you on your purchase and wish you long and blissful miles on Rambo.
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:03   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Shubz,

The drop in mileage can be attributed more to the low quality of fuel rather than the wind deflectors. However would be keen to hear your feedback.

How was the mileage when you filled her for the first time on the trip?
I take your point Mahesh. But before getting the deflectors on, I was noticing a FE of upwards of 21.

This is my first long ride with the deflectors on and I was consistently noticing FE southwards of 20's. And I was making sure we don't stop at any random bunk to fill. We chose the big one's only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Other than the drop in mileage, did you find any differences with the wind deflectors? Any clear benefits? Your long ride would have been a perfect test for their real world performance.
Yes - One noticeable difference was an increased ability to push speeds. I could sense that the slicing through wind was easier.

Major difference - Just about near kanyakumari there is this Windmill farm with thousands of huge windmills. I could feel the bike more planted and didn't have to reduce speeds while the Iron rider said he was bobbing all over the place and had to reduce speed considerably.

this could also be because of the bike being heavier. not just due to the deflectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I try and avoid reading any write up regarding HDs on this forum. The simple reason being it makes me green with envy. Controlled the envy today and read your report and got to know how much I missed by not reading such a beautiful and detailed review of a top class bike from HD.

I too keep going on rides but invariably keep choosing the wrong destinations to test the capabilities of my Baron and myself most of the time.

Eventhough it's late, let me still congratulate you on your purchase and wish you long and blissful miles on Rambo.
Thank you Snehal. So now you know where to look for, for the right destinations at least

Cheers!
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:47   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this could also be because of the bike being heavier. not just due to the deflectors.
In all probability, the stability will be due to the heaviness of the bike. The dukes will be flying from lane to lane on that stretch.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:54   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
In all probability, the stability will be due to the heaviness of the bike. The dukes will be flying from lane to lane on that stretch.
There is a stretch near Chitradurga also with similar nasty crosswinds. Funnily, I have never been affected by crosswinds on either of my Dukes. Maybe the Dukes are just too fast for the wind .....

Shubz, 300% the deflectors are the cause of the mileage drop. They are pretty huge man. Even a teen tiny Fazer windshield on my Duke 200 made a significant top end impact (did not check the mileage). The roof rack on top of my Storme has affected both my top end and my mileage.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd June 2015 at 12:56.
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:02   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
There is a stretch near Chitradurga also with similar nasty crosswinds.
Doc,

Not quite sure if you have ridden that particular stretch which Shubhz has described...Think its the biggest Wind Mill setup in South East Asia claiming to Spread over 25 Sq Kms where they generate around 7000 MW.

Have been there at least thrice and 2 of the times I had to hold my car steering wheel tight.

Felt I was lucky in the bike as the wind power was small.

The plant we have in Chitradurga is no match to this huge one which you should ride to one of these days.

Once you are here, you will get an opportunity to ride on the Pamban Bridge and then test your riding skills by riding the duke to Dhanushkodi

Ignore the last part if you have already done Dhanushkodi
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:48   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
There is a stretch near Chitradurga also with similar nasty crosswinds. Funnily, I have never been affected by crosswinds on either of my Dukes. Maybe the Dukes are just too fast for the wind .....

Shubz, 300% the deflectors are the cause of the mileage drop. They are pretty huge man. Even a teen tiny Fazer windshield on my Duke 200 made a significant top end impact (did not check the mileage). The roof rack on top of my Storme has affected both my top end and my mileage.
The chitradurga ones are no match as Mahesh put it. All around there are 1000's of wind mills. Chitradurga, there are few here, few there.

some wind effect, causes a twister kind of effects, secondly, the shadows formed by the swinging of the massive blades is another scary thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,

Not quite sure if you have ridden that particular stretch which Shubhz has described...Think its the biggest Wind Mill setup in South East Asia claiming to Spread over 25 Sq Kms where they generate around 7000 MW.

Have been there at least thrice and 2 of the times I had to hold my car steering wheel tight.

Felt I was lucky in the bike as the wind power was small.

The plant we have in Chitradurga is no match to this huge one which you should ride to one of these days.

Once you are here, you will get an opportunity to ride on the Pamban Bridge and then test your riding skills by riding the duke to Dhanushkodi

Ignore the last part if you have already done Dhanushkodi
Oh thanks for whetting my apetite! Dhanuskodi is next on my agenda.!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:54   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh thanks for whetting my apetite! Dhanuskodi is next on my agenda.!
Welcome Shubz, It would surely require all your skills to ride to Dhanushkodi.
An easy tip is to reduce your tire pressure by 2-3 PSI so that you can have better traction control.

Do not forget to make a video of your adventure please.

You can use this route map if you have loads of time...ideally a long weekend should be good one.

https://goo.gl/37MAaF

Last edited by ku69rd : 2nd June 2015 at 17:03.
Old 6th June 2015, 10:19   #104
BHPian

Hi Shubz, am new to the Forum but I have been following your experiences for a while now. Have been considering a Fat Boy but the tremendous heat generated by it has put me off. What has been your experience now? Heat levels gone down? Or is it still intolerable? How do you manage to ride it with constant heat frying your thighs? Too many questions I guess. Just curious. As an aside - Have gone on a test ride at Tuskers (Street 750) and Indian Motorcycles (Indian Scout) - found that the Indian Scout is not that bad when it comes to heat.
Old 6th June 2015, 11:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Panch View Post
Hi Shubz, am new to the Forum but I have been following your experiences for a while now. Have been considering a Fat Boy but the tremendous heat generated by it has put me off. What has been your experience now? Heat levels gone down? Or is it still intolerable? How do you manage to ride it with constant heat frying your thighs? Too many questions I guess. Just curious. As an aside - Have gone on a test ride at Tuskers (Street 750) and Indian Motorcycles (Indian Scout) - found that the Indian Scout is not that bad when it comes to heat.
Dear Sam,

You are only talking about hearsay. You are partially right. The heat is intolerable in city limits only. Do not, DO NOT attempt to ride the Fatboy in city wearing formal trousers. 3rd degree burnt thigh guaranteed!

On the highways - the Fatty is meant for it -- You won't even know what heat means. You can ride for hours on it and you will only feel the heat from the weather around you.

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks