Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 13:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!

First it was the so called "Midlife Crisis" that got me into biking and was smitten by a bug called "Duke"

Then the bite got "Premium" and began lusting for the Triumph. While I was almost almost ready to tie the knot - was literally pushed to the H-D shop - was literally made to mount a beast called Iron 883 that led to a pre-marital break up with the British iconic brand, and fall in love over the American brand which probably has the maximum haters in this world. Perhaps even in other planets, there are H-D haters. However that did not deter me from going after the Sportster.

Now Why Sportster? I was unable to get out of the thought that I am made only for aggressive stance bikes, the nakeds, non-faired, rockets!

So the Iron - fondly called AW entered my life and then rest is here

Did about 18+ thousand on this. Went about some mods (mostly performance based). And then there was a discord with the AW. He developed some niggles, made it seem like he didn't like me anymore as I was drawing the max out of him. May be overworked. Started protesting?

Then came IBW and all its glamor and dust! Checked out Aprilia (sadly the dealer is winding up here in Bangalore) and then was quasi-smitten by the "Tiger XRC" - Huge tall bike! Good for touring etc! Made the entry in their records - was hoping I'd get a call from them upon reaching back home.

Got nothing! Plus I was totally H-D'd and was never 100% over going to any brand. PLUS There was this mega-itch of doing the Big-5 and It had to be a Harley. A bigger one. So I was back to square one - remembered the days when I was hesitant to step into the H-D showroom, for the humungous beasts were overwhelming, giving me the nasty stare, straight into my eyes! But I had been there, done that. so this time I looked at them straight into their eyes!

I had some history to boost my confidence on bigger bikes.

1) On one of the Sunday rides, I managed to get on a Fatboy on the Nandi curves and was quite in control. The only thing running on my mind was the turning radius. Found it to be an effort.

2) A friend of mine had bought a Fatboy and he had come over to my office for me to take him to a store to buy Saddle bags - so from my office to the store - about couple of KMS - I rode the beast and wasn't all that overwhelmed!

So it had to be something FAT!

1st on the list was the "Dyna" - FatBOB!

Walked into the H-D store at Lavelle road and started talking to the same guy "Naganandan" about Fatbob. He gave his customary flashing smile and said "Saaar, I know you ride, why go for Bob and in a few months itch to upgrade, once for all go for the Boy"

I was like - Noooo! This is sportster look, blah and blah!
He was like - Saar, trust me, you will then regret not going for the Boy
I was like - Why saar?
He was like - Everything is one notch better than the Bob! Better ride quality, Better suspension, Better this, Better that and "BETTER PRICE - my *** " Damn thing costs a FORTUNE man!

Then pondered over it for a bit. Hmmm.. Errrmm... Ok.. Let me see the Fatboy. There was one "two-tone" Black-Amber Whisky at the store.
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-awfb.jpg
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-awfb2.jpg

Looked around it, Was a treat to watch. All gleaming! and almost decided - Yeah thats the color!

A strange thing happened - The store guys rolled in an Amber Whiskey Iron and parked it right beside that and I was like -- Hmmm - This would look exactly like my earlier one PLUS some chrome! I wanted something different!

Black was a No-No!
Then there was Marble black - Still a No-No

Naga then says - Sir, you should once check out this "Mysterious Sun-glo red" which is at the Indiranagar outlet. Please, I recommend you just go check it out once and I am sure you will not come out without booking!

So off I went to the other outlet - and Lo, there was this beast in this mysterious red! Any passerby would say - Maroon! But this was not to be maroon! The Red compliments the chrome and the vice versa.

It indeed did!

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-tank-gleam.jpg

TEST RIDE:

At the Indiranagar outlet - I was admiring the beast with the least intent of riding it. At least not as yet. All I wanted was to get to see the beast in sunlight. I asked if the bike can be rolled out just for me to take pics etc. The junior sales guys - as is customary with this dealer, the first answer out of anyone's mouth out there is NO and he was no different. That was the answer I got! My first negative impression about the outlet for this machine - I have zillion other previous negative impressions except for this gentleman called Naganandan - who makes you forget it all.

Anyway - I thundered at the "Sales Head" - Is this how you still treat a customer? Knowing 1) he already is a Harley Owner. 2) He is upgrading. So you sales guys should go the extra mile in offering stuff to tip over the customer, But here you are with your same old NO for an answer - Can you not train your people to say "Let me check" instead of a flat No? He was apologetic saying - sir he is new. and I didn't buy that answer. I, with a scowl on my face, asked him to get the bike out in the sun. So he did and I was blown away by the gleam.

I sarcastically asked him "Can I sit on it? I know you will say No to this" to which, he just asked the other guy to get the FOB and said - Sir- take a test ride! I said - No! He insisted saying Please sir, Please do take a ride around. I said I don't have a helmet, I am in formal wear, I am wearing formal shoes, you guys don't give a test ride unless one is in jeans and boots etc. etc. He was embarrassed and then got me a helmet from inside and I rode the beast! A short spin - It was enough!
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-test-ride.jpg

Got back, parked the bike, and Lo - I got Fat! (actually the opposite - 1 Lakh poorer)

BOOKED!!

The waiting period wasn't bad at all. They said, there is one in-bound Fatboy the Mysterious Red and is due in the next three weeks! So that was good news. Didn't have to wait up for months like I did for AW.

And then the bike arrived on 24th march! (is what I got to know from the dealer). I then proceeded to process the paperwork for financing a part of it etc and I was all set last Friday. Then there was hitch with the bank not yet transferring the amount to the dealer and the dealer not budging on delivering the vehicle on Saturday. Saturday - for it was a weekend and all my LLB buddies would have happily been present for the event! The dealer even had the bank advise saying the transfer is in progress, there was NO way they wouldn't have got the amount BUT they were steadfast in saying what they LOVE to say "NO". By 11:30 am - Saturday - I said - CHUCK IT! Not gonna follow up any more. I pay such a fortune, I do all the running around and the least I was expecting was some courtesy given that I am a standing customer of HD and would not default in no way! But I let them have it.

The Delivery day!

30th March 2015. I got a call from Naga (rather I called to check) and He said, vehicle papers have been sent to the RTO for temp registration. By afternoon I get a call saying vehicle is ready and is at the Indiranagar outlet. At 5 pm I get a call saying "Saaar, it is ok if we give the vehicle by 6:30-7" - lost of the count of how many times I have been annoyed. I said - You guys called me saying vehicle is ready and i can pick it up by 5 and now you say 6:30-7. The usual alibis - we are doing this, we are doing that blah & blah!
The bike was being prepped
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-prep1.jpg
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-allset1.jpg

Finally - the bike rolls out of basement, parked inside the showroom and the formalities begin.

First with the paper work - the least I can say - I was FURIOUS -
My address is wrong in the documents
They were giving me the docket in a paper bag! How the hell am I supposed to carry the big stack in a paper bag?!?
The staff seemed listless even though it was supposed to be First invoice out of that outlet.
My buddies went and got the cake!
Then began the run-down.
I was explained the features of the bike.
Fobs were handed over!
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-gimme-keys.jpg
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-i-got-.jpg

And I was all set to go - Look at my EXPRESSION!
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-its-mine.jpg

My ride home:

Pros:
  • The seats are plush!
  • The controls are very reachable!
  • The posture is like how you'd sit on a massage chair.
  • No handlebar vibes.
  • Didn't feel the strain on my arms.
  • Nice grippy tires. 140/75/R17 in the front. 200/55/R17 for the rear. My tires are still to break in. Had a slight slip when attemting a turn. Or may be I am yet to get accustomed to the stance.

Cons:
  • Unbearable heat! My back of my left thigh - almost got blistered!
  • The ride back home was like I was travelling in an boiling oil pan!
  • This machine is NOT meant for streets and traffic!
  • Forward controls - Bit cumbersome on Narrow streets
  • Cannot zig-zag on the street - Lol - I know this was stupid

Ownership experience:
This is a WOW bike! The moment you sit on it, you feel plush! For the first time I felt "Stock" is best. The handle ergonomics are great. Its kind of wide reach and did not strain my arms or fists.

I was used to the quick start crank of the sportsters. But this is a heavy engine. So when one cranks the starter button, there is a lag, and then it picks up on the crank. May be a better rated battery would've helped?

Gear shift: I was used to the heavy CLUNK of the sportsters. Here it is much milder clack!

Clutch: Heavy clutch. However I found this more usable than the sportster one. Is it b'cause of the (heavy) mindset I was in that I couldn't feel it that heavy?

Brakes: Oh I love brakes! I was advised 60/40 on the braking. But the rear brake pedal needs to get used to so I was mostly using the front.

Ride quality: This one sails! Unlike the sportster. I even rode two up. The pillion felt super comfy. The exclamation was "Wow, this feels better than car seats". Even on my ride home, some of the regular cuts in the roads, it did take on effortlessly.

Power: in the city traffic, its got to be 1st/2nd. Only on brief stretches i could take it to 3rd at most 4th but for a few seconds only. This one pulls like a freight train. But got to be on the right RPM else this one starts jerking about.

Horn: I did find it pretty loud given the fact that my exhaust notes are still virgin.

Headlights: The freight train headlamps! did illuminate quite well in city traffic. Got to check them on an early morning ride when there is low vehicle flow. The high beam was pretty strong though.

Accessories: I got the LED front turn signals, rear stop light. Tank pouch.

Yet to come: Engine guards, rear LED turn signals, heel stopper and a few knick-knacks. Vance & Hines - After a few kms on the Odo

Seating position: Relaxed. Unnerving. The only issue I saw was - The speedo console right under your chin. So are the indicators for turn/N/Oil etc thats a little cumbersome to look for on the run.
Damn thing - The oil tank under the right thigh is the killer! It could skin out anyone if they are not careful. One piece of advise to anyone riding the Fatboy - PLEASE do wear thick jeans. NEVER ride in office pants or shorts. and yes - SHOES are a must!

Warranty: The vehicle comes with a two year unlimited mileage warranty. And extended warranty covering 4 years from the date of purchase can be obtained separately costing about Rs. 40,000/-

Pricing

Ex Showroom price: 15,35,318/-
Insurance: : 50,378/-
Road tax/Reg : 2,18,506/-
Accessories : 1,52,439/-
Total : 19,56,641/-

Accessories include the following
Front and Rear LED turn signal
LED Tail Lamp
Engine Guard
Heel guard
Heat deflectors
decorative led lamp that lights up the engine
Back rest
Tank pouch

Now let the pictures do the talking. These are the initial lot. A lot lot more to come!

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-fb1.jpg
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-temple2.jpg
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-postpooja1.jpg
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-more-tank-gleam.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-excited.jpg  

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-all-set-del.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd April 2015 at 16:46. Reason: Shifting 2 "Pro" points to "Cons" - seem to have been misplaced :)
Shubz is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 14:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!

Wow she looks simply too good. Fantastic choice and am sure you will enjoy every CC of that huge monster.

When are the mods coming in? Am sure the Fatboy would be more loud with those Vance & Hines.

Did you sell your previous AW? What were the niggles though?

Sorry to read your poor experience with Tusker.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 14:56   #3
BHPian

Super!!
Way to go Shubz!
Too bad about the showroom experience, but as the saying goes, "Don't lose the forest for the trees!" eh!

Wishing you unlimited safe and happy miles! I am sure the Fat boy will keep you in the spotlight everywhere you go for a long long time to come.

Cheers!
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 15:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wow she looks simply too good. Fantastic choice and am sure you will enjoy every CC of that huge monster.

When are the mods coming in? Am sure the Fatboy would be more loud with those Vance & Hines.

Did you sell your previous AW? What were the niggles though?

Sorry to read your poor experience with Tusker.
Thanks Mahesh!

First it started with the MAP sensor going kaput. then the CKP sensor. Then the MBC unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Super!!
Way to go Shubz!
Too bad about the showroom experience, but as the saying goes, "Don't lose the forest for the trees!" eh!

Wishing you unlimited safe and happy miles! I am sure the Fat boy will keep you in the spotlight everywhere you go for a long long time to come.

Cheers!
Thanks wolfy!

This forest is full of such trees, sad but true!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Moving out from Assembly Line section.

Once again congratulations and thank you for sharing the thread. Looking forward to more detailed riding impressions and life with Rambo!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Congratulations, Shubz on the fatbob. And a great detailed review. Had great insights into the iron with your other thread. Keep it up buddy.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:32   #7
BHPian

Congrats again Shubz.
The bike looks gorgeous.
I fully agree on the thigh getting roasted. It gets really really hot in stop n go traffic. From my experience, I have also found the heel of the riders boot too close to the exhaust pipe and if it touched, it could melt.

Ride safe & wish you many many miles of enjoyable riding.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:33   #8
BHPian

Now thats an upgrade! Way to go Shubz! Wishing you many many happy miles :-)
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Congratulations, Shubz on the fatbob. And a great detailed review. Had great insights into the iron with your other thread. Keep it up buddy.
Dear sir - Its a FATBOY - Not a Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Congrats again Shubz.
The bike looks gorgeous.
I fully agree on the thigh getting roasted. It gets really really hot in stop n go traffic. From my experience, I have also found the heel of the riders boot too close to the exhaust pipe and if it touched, it could melt.

Ride safe & wish you many many miles of enjoyable riding.
Haroon sir. Thank you so much!

It was a horrifying experience particularly at traffic lights. Yes you are right about the heel melting if one is not careful. So I had ordered the heel guards, that prevent the heel from touching the exhaust. But with the stance itself, the feet are apart, unless one has huge Yeti type feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Now thats an upgrade! Way to go Shubz! Wishing you many many happy miles :-)
Thanks Unni :-)

#LLB

Last edited by Shubz : 2nd April 2015 at 16:41.
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:39   #10
BHPian

Congrats Shubz. Wish you a lot of safe miles on the BOY

#LLB
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:50   #11
BHPian

Many Congratulations on you Rambo Shubz sir. Wishing a happy and safe ownership experience. Ride Safe! God Speed!
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

Many congrats! That's a lovely shade of red or maroon or whatever you'd like to refer it to.

Fatboy - the only thing that clicks me is Arnie, Terminator 2 and my childhood days:

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-1000x10001.jpg

Ride safe!
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrat man, bike looks really beautiful. from D200 to 883 and now a fatboy really awesome stuff. that seat looks really comfy, how is the pillion seat ?
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Congrat man, bike looks really beautiful. from D200 to 883 and now a fatboy really awesome stuff. that seat looks really comfy, how is the pillion seat ?
Thanks Rahul!

The seat for me was/is damn comfy! I started off with a pillion and the pillion exclaimed "Wow! this is more comfy than a car"

Cheers

#LLB
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Shubz on the Fatboy!

Fantastic color choice, pictures just don't do justice to the mysterious red sunglow color. Wish you many, many miles with smiles on Rambo.

Cheers and ride safe!
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks