Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 15:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

Harley-Davidson's new extended warranty program

American motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson, has announced a new extended warranty program for its customers in India.

All Harley-Davidson motorcycle models sold in India, come with a standard manufacturer warranty of two years. Under the extended warranty program, customers can purchase an additional warranty of two years, which means the all Harley-Davidson motorcycles can now be covered for four years.

The extended warranty program is available on Harley-Davidson motorcycles on or after 2nd April 2015. Insurance under extended warranty is underwritten by ICICI Lombard General Insurance.

Features of extended warranty program:
  • 24 month extended warranty terms in addition to the 24 month factory warranty
  • Available for all models sold in India
  • Genuine Harley-Davidson parts
  • Covers parts and labour
  • Available for purchase anytime during 2 year factory warranty period

Harley-Davidson's new extended warranty program-hd.jpg
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 16:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson's new extended warranty program

Partly a good initiative! This comes with a lot of fine prints.

1) This is applicable when bike is stock or only when HD only accessories are used.

2) After paying the premium, any aftermarket parts, voids the warranty.

3) Put Screaming Eagles exhausts - Your warranty is intact.
Put Vance & Hines - even slip on's - Your warranty is void.

I personally feel its binding and not consumer/user friendly. It should've been simpler - As long as you get stuff done at Harley Service - Warranty intact!

My 2 cents!

#LLB
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 18:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
American motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson, has announced a new extended warranty program for its customers in India.

The extended warranty program is available on Harley-Davidson motorcycles on or after 2nd April 2015. Insurance under extended warranty is underwritten by ICICI Lombard General Insurance.

Features of extended warranty program:
  • 24 month extended warranty terms in addition to the 24 month factory warranty
  • Available for all models sold in India
  • Genuine Harley-Davidson parts
  • Covers parts and labour
  • Available for purchase anytime during 2 year factory warranty period

Attachment 1357986
Tusker Harley actually offered this when I purchased my Red Baron in Feb '15. They said that I would be the first customer to get an extended warranty and they quoted a price of 13K for the Street 750 (early bird offer I guess!). I decided against it because of the fine print as Shubz rightly said.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 19:12   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess it would be fine for someone who is going to (1) Keep his bike stock OR (2) use only HD accessories. 13k for the Street sounds like a steal.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 20:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I guess it would be fine for someone who is going to (1) Keep his bike stock OR (2) use only HD accessories. 13k for the Street sounds like a steal.
Lol - I don't think we will find many Harley owner who would keep his/her bike bone stock!

The mod bug bites every Harley owner, be it the ultra modern Street to the "air cooled" rest of the models to the CVO!

Just FYI -- it is about 18/20K for Sporters
30-40K for Dyna's/Softails etc.

#LLB
Old 8th April 2015, 15:06   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
After paying the premium, any aftermarket parts, voids the warranty.
Obviously. I don't know of any manufacturer warranty that stands with aftermarket parts. Every car warranty booklet I've seen categorically states the same thing that Harley does.

There's nothing new here.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 15:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Obviously. I don't know of any manufacturer warranty that stands with aftermarket parts. Every car warranty booklet I've seen categorically states the same thing that Harley does.

There's nothing new here.
Sir I meant aftermarket stuff like the products that they can get from associate companies example VnH.

I totally agree on the point that any manufacturer voids warranty when you install aftermarket parts that are not approved by them.
Old 13th April 2015, 23:42   #8
BHPian

The move to provide extended warranty is one of the best moves an Auto company can make. However, in the context of HD, it needs to be viewed in a slightly different way.

We are not buying Hyundai cars here, which despite being Korean and tolerant to all kinds of Audio, Video, horn, lights and so many other modifications, still provides you warranty on the car engine, which forms 2/3rd of its price. I have owned several Hyundai cars and I still own an 8 year old Tucson. I can walk into a Hyundai service centre and if some part is not available, I could get it in a day or two, at a reasonable cost and the car and its owner remain happy!

Try that with a Harley Service centre...you know what I'm talking about.

Providing warranties at some ridiculous cost may be good. But HD needs to understand a couple of things:

- Harleys are not about keeping it boringly stock! Its about building a bike over time which is individual and makes the rider ecstatic every time he sees it, rides it or generally shares his experiences with other bikers. If you want people to keep the bike stock, one can go buy a Honda Activa!

- To honour the warranties and services, HD and their dealers also need to have the requisite stock of parts and accessories for a prompt and efficient service network. Not make a HD owner wait for two months till the part arrives all the way from US. You want to learn what service is, learn it from KTM!

HD, please fix some of your basic issues. Then try selling extended warranty to harley owners who have a bike as stock as you want it to be...trust me there aren't many! And there won't be.

And please try not to sell the same to gullible new bike buyers or force it down their ignorant throats. Because when they learn this later, they won't forgive you!
rakesh_S is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks