Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 13:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Hey, you also have a FZ1 right? That's a sweet thing.
Yes Rahul, had one but then got bored with her to be honest. Sold her around 15-18 months back. She was/is a very sweet ride, no complaints, no tantrums but then I wanted something to venture off the road (if not the extremes).

Waiting for the Versys 650 or V Storm 650 to land in our shores.
Ducati is also another space that am watching as of now.

Triumph will be deliberated heavily as they have everything setup going for them. Sales/Service/Scandals

But am not reading much into the scandal though.

PS: Time well spent on the photo, you should get it up on your walls
Old 18th April 2015, 16:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Yes Rahul, had one but then got bored with her to be honest. Sold her around 15-18 months back. She was/is a very sweet ride, no complaints, no tantrums but then I wanted something to venture off the road (if not the extremes).

Triumph will be deliberated heavily as they have everything setup going for them. Sales/Service/Scandals

Yea the FZ is like that. Lots of fun. So understated but ridiculously powerful.
I don't know, but do check out the Tiger. With what it has to offer, in my books it's super value for money. My friend rode both the variants and he mentioned, that they felt lighter and easier to handle than his Enfield.
Scandal? which one. I kept my ears and eyes closed. Lol.
Old 18th April 2015, 21:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Also forgot. Did i tell you, that i love your signature!!
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 22:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also forgot. Did i tell you, that i love your signature!!
Ha Ha Ha...Hopefully I do not get any infraction on this esteemed forum and more importantly lose some of my childhood friends just because of that

Tiger is a very capable motorcycle and yes it does figure in my list. The 800CC should be a mean machine when harnessed to full use.

PS: But am a big fan of their marketing team. They really know how to sell well

Last edited by ku69rd : 18th April 2015 at 22:30.
Old 18th April 2015, 22:50   #50
BHPian

Saw the bike in person today. Thanks Rahul for taking out some time. She looks really nice and sounds awesome! Pics don't do justice to it. They hide the size of the bike. It is actually huge. Can't wait for the day you finish the run-in and let the ponies loose. The sound will make people go crazy then
Hope to see you again soon

Keep revvin!
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 17:35   #51
BHPian

Hi Rahul,
That is truly an amazing write up. Absolutely loved it!

I've been contemplating to upgrade from my RE standard 350 for quite sometime now and as a matter of fact did ride the Bonneville SE and the T100 last year in August at Shaman.

In terms of handling the SE was well and truly better than the T100, primarily due to the 17 inch rubber upfront. Just felt more surefooted on the SE. But at the same time the SE just looked too puny for my frame and (dare i say) didn't look too dissimilar as compared to my bullet.

That's when Raold from Shaman asked me to test the Street Triple, which i hesitantly did. I was like no way am i ever going to buy something that looks like that but no harm in going for a test ride. The looks are just not to my liking. Pardon me when i say that......I still like Aerosmith, GNR, Metallica, Bon Jovi and even Elvis over whatever plays these days. (Still believe the best music played in the 90's) I use a straight blade razor in the days of mach 3 or 5 or whatever.....

So hope you getting the point i'm trying to make here

Anyways coming back to the test drive......I came back post the ride, mightily impressed with what was on offer.

I went from being this "classic old school guy" to a "contemporary space age guy" within 15 mins. And guess what! The bike looked just fine after that.

I almost made up my mind to cough some extra cash and book the big brother aka Speed triple but sanity prevailed and i left the showroom promising Raold that "I'll be back"

After that travel and work had kept me out of the country. Its been over 7-8 months now and i haven't seen Shaman guys ever since. Randomly bumped into your post while i was searching for Speed Triple on the internet and kind of rekindled my imagination of closing this chapter once and for all.

Just a few questions before i take the plunge.

1. Is this your daily ride?
2. Is the bike too ungainly and hot during rush hour traffic?
3. Whats the maximum distance that you've covered on it at a stretch? Is it too harsh on your lowerback and arm/wrists?
4. Have heard that the clutch is on the harder side. How true is that?
5. Are the seats (rider and pillion) comfortable on long rides?

Thanks and Regards,
Rajesh
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 08:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
Hi Rahul,
That is truly an amazing write up. Absolutely loved it!

I've been contemplating to upgrade from my RE standard 350 for quite sometime now and as a matter of fact did ride the Bonneville SE and the T100 last year in August at Shaman.
Hey Rajesh. Thank you. To answer your questions, here are the replies.

- Yes i hope to make it my everyday use bike. I do have a Honda Activa as well. But its in such bad shape that i'd rather not risk it. The last time i rode that was 4 months ago.

- She does get hot. The fan kicks in and the heat dissipates easily considering it's a naked. But yes hot it is. I don't know about the Street Triple though. Looking at the guys who own one, seems like a more practical everyday use machine.

- Distance unfortunately hasn't happened yet. Have messaged you the reason why. With whatever that i can and when i can ride, she has been really comfortable on the back and the wrists. Initially my posture was wrong so made changes to that and voila everything is a breeze.

- Felt the clutch to be hard initially. Hence had taken her to the service guys, who just tweaked it to my preference. It seems pretty manageable now in traffic.

- The rider seat is super comfortable. The pillion, now here my wife is small so from her POV it's lush. But the under seat arrows are a pain for the pillion. They heat up. However you do get a "Lowboy Arrow" for the Speed. So if you do plan rides with pillion, that would be a better and more pragmatic option.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to talk about.

Regards
Rahul

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd May 2015 at 04:45. Reason: Please do not quote entire long post for a reply. Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 19:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With whatever that i can and when i can ride, she has been really comfortable on the back and the wrists. Initially my posture was wrong so made changes to that and voila everything is a breeze.
Hey Odeen,

Congratulations again (I already wished you on Xbhp).

Please explain what you mean by your posture (before and after) change which has made the ST comfortable on the back and wrists.

Thanks mate.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 21:19   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hey Odeen,

Congratulations again (I already wished you on Xbhp).

Please explain what you mean by your posture (before and after) change which has made the ST comfortable on the back and wrists.

Thanks mate.

Cheers
Hey Cyborg,
Thank you again.

When i got the bike was kind of overwhelmed with the size of it. Hence was stiff with my stance, more out of worry i guess.
Considering that i have had her for sometime now, it's put me to ease.
With my posture have made the following changes.
- I sit closer to the tank now, which helps me grab the bars better and is easier on the back. Also grabbing the tank with my legs helps.
- Earlier used to put all my weight on my wrists and shoulders, as i kept my hands straight on the bars. Effectively adding more pressure on the wrist, shoulder and chest as well. Now i bend my elbows a little, hold the bars light but firm which helps.
So yes, more or less this is what i did. Other than that i guess will continue to ride and know better.

Regards and thanks again.
Rahul
Old 1st May 2015, 20:22   #55
BHPian

Congrats Odeen.
Nice write up, emotional enough, to make it a Bollywood sequel
Nice buy and wish you all the best in the gradual evolution of your love affair.
Incidentally, I own a Triumph Tiger XRX and I too am in the honeymoon phase myself.
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
Congrats Odeen.
Nice write up, emotional enough, to make it a Bollywood sequel
Nice buy and wish you all the best in the gradual evolution of your love affair.
Incidentally, I own a Triumph Tiger XRX and I too am in the honeymoon phase myself.

Hey Mohan thank you. And congratulations on your awesome tiger. I love that thing. Wish I had more money. I'd just go over rickshaws, small homes, valleys, staircases and mountains. Beautiful bike. You can have so much fun with that tiger. Please do rip it and be sideways in that dirt.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 2nd May 2015, 14:08   #57
BHPian

Congratulations Odeen, you've got your self one heck of a mean machine there. She definitely is drool worthy, have been ogling her whole heartedly in your snaps!
Nice dramatic write up as well, one definitely fit for your beauty. Wish you many happy miles on your Tripple, look forward to many more updates on this thread!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 12:40   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
Congratulations Odeen, you've got your self one heck of a mean machine there. She definitely is drool worthy, have been ogling her whole heartedly in your snaps!
Nice dramatic write up as well, one definitely fit for your beauty. Wish you many happy miles on your Tripple, look forward to many more updates on this thread!
Hi Abhi
And thank you for your kind words.

Sorry have not been able to write/update the thread as often as i would liked due to some personal reasons.

However did go for a ride with fellow Tbhpian (V12) and his Godzilla! Was great and probably you could check his thread for the pictures as i did not click any, considering i was just happy to get out and lazy to take my phone out.

Will update the thread with more to come.

Regards
Rahul
Old 24th May 2015, 19:17   #59
BHPian

Hey Guys

Its been really long since I have added anything to my thread. And I apologise for the same. There were things happening on the personal front which were really unfortunate. Still coming to terms with the same. So the bike has done ONLY 1300 kms so far and its been an absolute struggle to get her there. More below.

Nope was not able to ride “Beenie” as my wife calls her…or “wall-e” depending on her mood. Had done only 150 kms and the bike was just standing still waiting for her to get cranked. I’d go down to the parking lot just to see if all is ok. May be start her up once a day and let her be, roll the tires in neutral and shut her down. I hated it. So decided to talk to Arash (From Triumph). Called him up and asked him if he'd take her for a few days and ride. As luck would have it he had planned to ride to Daman. Perfect. He came over, started her up and bye. I said bye and asked him to be super careful with her. So all in all he was able to do 500kms or so. I was happy. Asked him to send her in for her first service.

So your regular service minus the wash was done. Arash had already washed her before getting her in for service, so asked the guys not to do it again. Total damage was Rs 5300 or so. Which included labour, oil change, seals, chain lube and taxes. Not bad for a litre class bike. Had to go pick her up, but again could not do so as I was caught up at home. A couple of days later, Arash sent me a picture of her and he captioned it, “Someone is waiting for you”

The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-img_1029.jpg

Saw picture on Whats app, got dressed and ran to the showroom. Triumph did an excellent job on her service. She runs like a hot knife through butter. The next service is after a year. However will be changing the oil again once I complete 2500kms. This is me trying something. Before I forget, got a call from Triumph after a few days if I was happy with the service and if I faced any sort of issues etc. Answer was a emphatic NO to problems and Yes to happy with service.

Luckily in the meantime fellow bhpian V12 got his Kawasaki Z800. That thing looks gorgeous in the sun. So we together and a few other friend’s of his decided to take the bikes out of the city. Considering all of them were still running in their motorcycle, speeds were limited. But it was not about the speed on that ride, it was about knowing and figuring out how my baby feels. Fill her lungs with some cool air and was she happy. Temperature gauge showed she had cool notes all the way. So V12, me a friend of mine on a Classic RE, a Z1000, a KTM RC390 and another Kawasaki Z800 left Mumbai to panvel only. Hahaha. Yea however short it was it was awesome. Had the breakfast that McDonald’s offered and we all were eager to get back on the road. And then back to Bombay. This ride showed me one thing for sure, how eager the Speed is to lunge forward. Hence the wait began to let her rip.

Here are some pictures of the ride with V12 and friends. What an awesome guy. Thank you V12 for letting me come along.

The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-4.jpg
The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-5.jpg

Luckily for me the guys at Triumph were planning a ride to Charoti. Some 130kms away. Perfect. Let them know I am in and waited eagerly for the weekend.

In that week I dropped the bike . Actually it was I standing near the bike and a kid rammed his cycle into the side stand from the opposite direction. Before I could react the bike was on the floor. Blistering barnacles, the poor kid was petrified. I felt bad for him (he’s suffering from down syndrome), he knew what was coming. Picked up the bike looked for damage and there was none, except the mirror which went wonkers. Fixed that and thanked my stars that I recently installed the crash protectors on her. The kid was in tears already and the mother was yelling the crap out of him. Asked her not to do so, accidents happen. I was more worried about the kid as he would have hurt himself real bad there. Luckily he was thrown away from his cycle due to impact. So that’s that. Wiped her down and covered her up.

That Saturday made plans to sleep early, I tried actually. But could not. My brain was wired. I must have slept exactly for 2hrs. Was up at 4 and got ready. Dumped my papers in the hydration bag and was out of the door by 5am. Went down, took off the covers, started her up and waited till she was warm enough to ride. Reached the showroom by 5:20am. Met some lovely people, customary hellos and all that. Then the wait began for the flag off so to speak. We left the showroom exactly at 6am. Here’s a picture.

Now I have never been to this side of the city. So was not familiar with the roads. Took it easy till we got out of the city and on the open road. Met some more Triumph guys at Vasai. Another Speed Triple in Caspian Blue. Now that matte blue is something else. Some 22 motorcycles were off to Charoti finally. As we went farther from the city, the roads got wider and the boys let them machines loose. The roads are just stupendous. Long sweeping corners, triple digit turns nope not a problem at all. This ride was turning out to be brilliant already. The only problem I was facing was with my grips. Had changed them to Rizoma after reading quite a few reviews online. Trust me they suck. I don’t know what it was, was it the diameter of it, and was it the grips surface but the vibration just amplified to colossal extent. Which I did not feel with the stock grips. My hands were aching by the time I got to Charoti. Made a mental note to go back to stock. The speed felt ridiculously good otherwise. Instilling confidence with every corner. Just grab the tank, get your body right, and check what gear you want to be in and then flick her in she will do the rest. Got a few thumbs up from random bikers listening to her go by. Those Arrows once warm are awesome. Miles went by and I was grinning constantly. We stopped at this parsi place called Ahura. When the establishment is Parsi, you do not eat Dosas. You order kheema pav and half fry’s. Some lovely conversation’s ensued over breakfast. The road was filled with fellow bikers from the city. Seemed like the whole of Mumbai wanted to catch a ride that weekend. Everything from Harley’s, KTM’s…Busa’s and what not. After a couple of hours, it was time to get back. The heat was ridiculous on the way back. Had to stop after a few kms to hydrate myself. Luckily had my hydration bag, which I refilled at the restaurant with chilled water. Guy’s this is a great investment and think you should have a look. Pretty handy for long rides. Got back to Bombay in no time. She gave me an average of around 15.4kmpl. I think that’s pretty good considering I pushed her quite a bit. I only saw double digit speeds when in the city. Extremely happy with how she behaved and handled. And now I am eager for more.

Some pictures that i had.
The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-3.jpg
The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-me.jpg
The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-1.jpg
The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-2.jpg

Got to the parking lot. Said my thank you and went up. Returned in a couple of hours and washed her down thoroughly. All in all Super Happy with Beenie!!!

The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-beenie.jpg
The Triumph Speed Triple burbles my socks off!-img_1028.jpg
Odeen12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 20:32   #60
BHPian

Nice little trips there.

But,
Change oil at 2500 ? What magic does that do?
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks