Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:46   #1
BHPian

Bike Importers, Servicing, Repairs & Maintenance

I have been around the biking scene for the last 17 years and I have gone through a fair amount of bikes in my time.
From the truly lovely RD..had 2 of them to the rare RD400..Twin disc, square tank, alloys..through a couple of Hondas (CBX 400 and the surprisingly sprightly VF 500F2), Yamaha's mighty FZR 1000 EXUP now to the still fabulous CBR 919RR...Tadao Baba's masterpiece. The bike that all others were judged by.

I have been going through many of the posts and I would like to share my experiences to try and help some of the queries.

I swear by Johnny. He is the best. Period. There is no one more knowledgeable, more honest and upfront than him. You can take your bikes anywhere and be rest assured when all else fails it will eventually turn up at his small shop. He has been around a long long time..maybe Kishan Rao has been around longer (good guy but a bit expensive..I completely restored my Honda CB 350-4 with parts I bought exclusively from him.)
He has been a honest friend for over 15 years and has saved my hide many a time.
I have been cheated, duped and swindled by many of the so called "Dealers" in Bombay at one time or another..and I won't even get into the horror stories for now...
You can judge by yourself if you visit him and will be pleasantly surprised at his clientele, bikes and service.( although he is getting a bit long in the tooth..LOL).
My CBR is with him right this minute getting an oil change.

Anyways this is just my 2 bits worth.
Ride safe guys..its a privilege..
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:07   #2
BHPian

Hey ap10046,

Can I contact them in confidence for SBk importing needs? How about their contact nos. and location in Mumbai?

Sid
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:13   #3
BHPian

You've just been PM'ed!
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:18   #4
BHPian

Hey Ap..
I guess there is a unanimous agreement on Johnny being the best; but now that he is the top-dog his clientele and priorities lay with the top brass - thats the hayabusa's, R1, etc.
From what ive heard, its difficult to approach him unless ur accompanied by someone near-dear to him.
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Hi Srikantans,
You know what..he does come across as intimidating..but he is very easy to approach..
Tell him Areez told you about him..
Cheers!
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

My first bike was bought and completely done up by Johnny. That's when he had his old place in the backyard of a bungalow in Bandra. My experiences have been mixed.

Johnny does do great work, but, that's only if he does it himself and does not delegate it to some of his mechanics. Unfortunately my bike was delegated and hence took me months to finish and the work was not done properly causing other problems to develop. These days I believe he is more into importing and assembling bikes.

I finally stopped giving my bike to him and now for the past 9 years I only get work done from Tony in South Bombay. His work is really top class, as he does most of it himself. He is a bit expensive though.

However, Johnny is a real nice guy and has his huge circle of bikes, but I just thought I should state my experience.
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:23   #7
BHPian

Hi Rtech,
I have gone to Tony too...really nice guy...also highly recommended..(oops..I forgot to mention him too!!)
Johnny moved from the bungalow a couple of years ago to Carter Road.
Well, fortunately and unfortunately his mechanics have all changed and now he does most of the work himself. As a result he does get tied down and work naturally slows.
But I have felt this sometimes is a small price to pay for his expertise.

I remember the time when I spent literally all my money restoring my 1971 Honda CB350-4 elsewhere and I changed everything, down to the gauges..can you imagine how difficult those were to source??!! Needless to say the bike was put together so badly by this highly reputed mech, it never started. I carted it to Johnny after a year of trying everything, who managed to start it in 2 days.
Another time my 1000EXUP was misfiring so badly for a week i almost pulled my hair out and believe you me the "experienced" towny mechs gave me such varying solutions to my problem..none worked. One phone call, one rare trip of his to town and in an hour the EXUP never sounded better.
Or the time I bought a 1958 Triumph Bonny and spent the next 3 days trying to kick it to start,(you cannot imagine how painful this is!!) he managed to convince the owner to take it back at the same price...

Of course, everyone has their fair share of good and not so good experiences, this is only a few of the good experiences I have shared..
Bad was when he said I needed a new engine in my VF 500F2..LOL!!!

Cheers!
Old 24th August 2006, 15:24   #8
BHPian

Hey AP,
Maybe I wil try to approach him, but just to get an idea, how long does it take to generally service the bike (tune up, minor changes like Oil etc..) AND how much does he charge.
Im looking for ball park figures here.
Old 24th August 2006, 17:00   #9
BHPian

Hi srikantans,
To be honest, he has a new "herd" of mechs so is very fussy about deputing work freely..so things do bog down. But if there is no rush, he has changed brakepads, oil, tune-up in less than a day on the CBR..He is REALLY not expensive, probably one of the cheaper ones around but I dont know what his generic rates would be. Why don't you give him a call?
Old 24th August 2006, 19:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I finally stopped giving my bike to him and now for the past 9 years I only get work done from Tony in South Bombay. His work is really top class, as he does most of it himself. He is a bit expensive though.
Is this the same Tony in one of the small lanes close to Metro theatre? I have also had a few of my bikes repaired by him (RD 350 LC ypvs, Yam FZR 400, Yam XS 400 etc). He's good, but slightly expensive and slow. In fact the FZR 400 was put together by him when it was brought in from S'pore in 1991.
Old 25th August 2006, 12:15   #11
BHPian

Yes Kurmist..that's the same Tony..pleasant chap.
Old 26th August 2006, 23:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046
But if there is no rush, he has changed brakepads, oil, tune-up in less than a day on the CBR..
offtopic : Is it that hard to do these things by yourself? ,well the only limiting factor can be time.Anything major would need a person to look at and open up.But wash,clean,pads,filter,chain,oil and even tune up can be done yourself .Thats what even i would have done if i had a 6-10 laks bike in my garage.
BTW does is there anyone here who gets done there and make there hands dirty ?

Last edited by black12rr : 26th August 2006 at 23:40.
Old 27th August 2006, 18:11   #13
BHPian

Yes that is off-topic, but since mods dont seem to think so..heres my 2 cents.

Well initially I'd give it to the mechanic even for the minor bits, but Ill watch him while he works (if possible) - making me more capable of handling situations and not running to him at the slightest issue.

I also have been trying to get some service manuals and stuff but cant seem to find the one for my bike. Guess once I have that Ill be able to educate myself.
Old 9th September 2006, 11:58   #14
BHPian

Websites for Bikes

Guys,
Just to add my 2 bits worth.
While browsing about imported bikes for sale in India, came across this website, for sale of second hand bikes.
[COLOR=#003399]http://www.bikez.biz[/COLOR]
If you register, you get email updates on sales anywhere in the world.
Over the last 2-3 months, there have been 5-6 posts from India, mostly new imported superbikes.
3 days ago there was a Honda 600F41 nd today a Honda CB600RR.
Dont know how reliable though.
Old 9th September 2006, 12:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046
still fabulous CBR 919RR...Tadao Baba's masterpiece. The bike that all others were judged by.
Is'nt that the 929RR and not 919 ? Maybe just a typing mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks