Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:25   #136
BANNED

Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Wax and Shine and ready for Tennis runs...

Cheers...
Hi there. Looking good.

Since you take short rides with shorts on, can I recommend getting a heat shield like these:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Softai...-/220813741000

http://shop.captain-itch.com/Harley-...hields_c58.htm

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-photo1.jpg

My friend has it on his Heritage and I can vouch for it's usefulness.

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 11:20   #137
Senior - BHPian

Kuch Chai Shai ho Jai... 😊🍻

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-1507441806441.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-1507441833431.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 10:42   #138
Senior - BHPian

Time to ride the Heritage today... The battery seems to be on it's last leg.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-1511154765292.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 13:47   #139
Senior - BHPian

Got a quote of 10,135/- for the battery from Capital Harley. Seems quite steep. Any other options?

Cheers...
Old 18th March 2018, 19:10   #140
Senior - BHPian

Tried out a new liquid polish from Waxpol - Silky Touch, yesterday

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-17032018_1.jpg

Basking in the Sun

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-17032018_2.jpg

The Brilliant Paint finish, even years down the line...

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-17032018_3.jpg

With the Ninja in the house, the Heritage gets a slight step-motherly treatment. The stock battery still seems to be holding up. Maybe the warmer weather has facilitated that. I think it should pull out this season.

Cheers...
Old 5th June 2018, 10:54   #141
Senior - BHPian

FLYJACK Motorcycle Lift purchased 24-05-2018 and Review

I was looking for a motorcycle lift to raise my Harley and other 4 wheelers and came across this FlyJack Motorcycle lift on Amazon. I contacted the owner directly (Mr. Jayaraj Bhaskaran - 9447609552 https://www.flyjacks.com info@flyjacks.com ), no commercial interest here, who is the Founder and Designer of this excellent piece of hardware. He gave me the lift at a much discounted price of Rs. 20,000/- net landed at Meerut (anybody interested can take my reference and procure the same). I had previously purchased a OTC (Made in USA) Motorcycle lift for my motorcycling club for about 25,000/-, and this surpasses and exceeds all that the OTC could do, both in build quality, ease of putting the bike down, lifting capacity and overall fit and finish.

So this is how I received it, very well packed and secured though Safexpress
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_1.jpg

The Lift revealed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_2.jpg

Raised to its 3rd lock position
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_3.jpg

The secure locking system on both sides of the lift
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_4.jpg

Rubber padded on both the top lifting arms
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_5.jpg

Very high quality rubberised wheels. Moves with zero jerks even with full load on
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_6.jpg

Locking/Arrester knobs to lock the lift in place while lifting
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_8.jpg

A close-up of the arrester knob
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_7.jpg

6 Ton Bottle Jack used for a lift of 1750kg capacity!! That's a overkill even to lift my 360kg Heritage Softail
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_9.jpg

Release Valve Lever in position. It is so well engineered that you can precisely maneuver your bike down to the exact position you need it to be in. This was a MAJOR FLAW in the OTC Lift, where the bike just came down with a thump and at a uncontrollable rate. A big Thumbs UP to Flyjack for this feature!
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_10.jpg

Storage for the Tool Lift control lever
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_11.jpg

A quality MADE IN INDIA product with impeccable fit and finish which I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND (which I normally don't do and leave it to reader's discretion). He has recently also exported more than 30 units of the lift to the US.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_12.jpg

The powder coating and paint finish is top notch
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_13.jpg

Here is my Heritage Softail lifted in a jiffy without any 3rd person intervention needed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-20180524flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_14.jpg

Here's some videos from their website as to how this lift works -

A view of the underside as to how it raises the bike safely
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_17.jpg

Another view of the bike on the jack
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_15.jpg

My son on the jack and the lift can still take more easily
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-flyjack-motorcycle-lift-24052018_16.jpg

They claim that it is the world's best motorcycle lift, and for once I will have to agree.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th June 2018 at 11:19.
dkaile is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 12:17   #142
Senior - BHPian

New Battery Purchased for the Heritage Softail 27-04-2018

The 5 year old battery was getting long in the tooth and it was nearly time to change the battery. So I purchased the same from Capital Harley, Delhi/Gurgaon for a very princely sum of Rs. 10,100/- They sure do overcharge for their parts.

Picked up the boxed battery from their Vasant Kunj showroom after pre-ordering before hand
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-battery-puchased-27042018_1.jpg

Subsequently opened up and tested the old battery. First step to reach the battery is to remove the rear seat
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-battery-tested-29042018_1.jpg

Rear Seat removed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-battery-tested-29042018_3.jpg

And then the front seat backrest
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-battery-tested-29042018_2.jpg

And finally to remove the Rider Seat/Sofa
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-battery-tested-29042018_4.jpg

To reveal the battery compartment below
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-battery-tested-29042018_5.jpg

The old and the new battery side by side. Notice that the old battery on the left is a 19Ah unit while the new one on the right is 17.5Ah unit.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-battery-tested-29042018_6.jpg

Harley Service Manager clarified (which was confirmed from their website) that Harley had discontinued the 19Ah battery and had upgraded it's 17.5Ah unit to take the load of all the compatible model including my 2013 Heritage Softail FLSTC, and the same is mentioned on the battery specs that this battery fits 97 and later Softail models
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-battery-puchased-27042018_2.jpg

The old battery multimeter test revealed that the battery was still retaining a 13V+ charge and hence was in good condition. But it was giving me cranking issues in the cold.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-battery-tested-29042018_7.jpg

I will be continuing with the old battery for sometime as the ambient temperature is quite high and suitable for cranking the battery, after keeping it on a trickle charge compatible battery charger till it finally bows down.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th June 2018 at 12:19.
dkaile is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 12:57   #143
Senior - BHPian

I follow your N1000 thread but this one, i missed! Probably cause am not a cruiser person but i have to admit one thing - I have not seen many taking care of their bikes the way you do. Except maybe some Parsi friends of mine! We all claim to love our bikes but your love is a whole different level!

The Harley looks smashing - almost new!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 14:39   #144
Senior - BHPian

Dummies Guide for changing the Rear Tyre on the Harley Softail 26-05-2018

So I was looking at the Rear Tyre of my Heritage and it had nearly gone flat
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-received-08052018_3.jpg

Following up on my earlier Dummies Guide for Superbike's Puncture Repair and Wheel Balancing posted here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...balancing.html , I decided to write something similar for the Harley

So a new tyre was procured. Unfortunately brand new Dunlop D-402 Whitewall tyres from the Harley showroom are just too exorbitant (Rs. 21,100 for the Rear and 17,900/- for the front). Called up a dealer friend in Delhi who dealt previously in Maxxis Whitewalls for our Harley. Unfortunately even that brand was out of stock with him. But luckily he had the original Dunlops which had been used for around 500kms and were in brand new condition. Some Harley owner had purchased these Heritage whiteall tyres and tried using them on his 48. Unfortunately he could not get the desired grip levels on that kind of a bike for which these tyres were not made. After getting assurance that I was free to return the tyre if it did not suit my desired quality levels, I got the tyre shipped to Meerut for just 10k landed. Here it was
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-received-08052018_1.jpg

Made in U.S.A.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-received-08052018_2.jpg

Absolutely brand new tread condition and soft pliability of the rubber
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-received-08052018_4.jpg

So I proceeded to make a Tyre Alignment Tool from a aluminum welding rod as was detailed in my Harley Service Manual. It was quite a simple task as is clear in the picture
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-alignment-tool-09052018.jpg

Also went ahead and picked up some wooden blocks and a jack to support the tyre while taking it off
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-wood-blocks-jack-12052018.jpg

This video for tyre removal was quite helpful, although it was for a non-abs model

So Step 1 was to remove the Saddle Bags and one of the Slip-On exhausts from the right side of the bike. It was a 5 minute job to remove both of them and was a matter of removing a total of 5 bolts
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_1.jpg

Next Step (after removing the Saddle Bags) on the left side of the bike is to remove the Belt Guard (in chrome) and the Debris Deflector (Black Plastic part) as shown in the picture. Again a 10 minute job involving 4 nuts.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_3.jpg

There is one nut hidden away for the debris deflector with which one needs to be careful
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_2.jpg

All 5 parts to be removed to proceed on the actual job of removing the rear tyre
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_4.jpg

The drive belt is now fully visible on the left side after removing the chain guard and the debris deflector
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_5.jpg

And this is the right side
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_6.jpg

The wheel alignment tool prepared earlier is called in
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_7.jpg

And the wheel alignment is checked and marked by marking the distance of the axle nut to a chassis bolt. This will be useful in re-assembly.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_8.jpg

The bike is jacked up on the new motorcycle lift and secured properly with ROK Straps
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_9.jpg

The orientation and location of the left wheel spacer is marked with a permanent ohp marker
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_10.jpg

The same is done on the right side spacer and the ABS wheel speed sensor
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_11.jpg

The E-clip is removed from the axle bolt on the left side
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_12.jpg

And the axle nut and washer is loosened and removed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_13.jpg

Remove the rear speed sensor cable
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_20.jpg

On the right side of the bike, the two rear brake caliper nuts are removed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_14.jpg

It is a good time to inspect the brake pads. Mine had about 50% life still left in them.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_15.jpg

Place a clean piece of cardboard so that the brake pads don't fall off and take care NOT to engage the rear brake lever under any circumstances
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_16.jpg

Support the rear brake caliper so that the brake line is not bent and place it aside
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_17.jpg

Loosen the axle adjuster screws on both sides with equal amount of turns to loosen the drive belt (here the picture of the axle adjuster screws is taken after the drive belt and the rear wheel has been removed)
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_18.jpg

Remove the Rear Axle from the right side of the bike. Here it is with both the spacers and the washer and the axle nut. Be careful as to NOT wipe the anti-seize of the rear axle unless you have sufficient fresh supply of the same. The same can be reused.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_19.jpg

Now you can remove the rear wheel after sliding the loosened drive belt forward from it's sprocket. This is a good time to inspect your drive belt and the wheel sprockets. Mine was perfect without any damage. Here is the view from the left side of the drive belt after the rear wheel has been removed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_21.jpg

Another view from the right side
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_23.jpg

A view of the bike supported on the motorcycle lift with the rear wheel removed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_24.jpg

30 photos limit per post reached. To be continued in the next post...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th June 2018 at 14:48.
dkaile is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 15:33   #145
Senior - BHPian

Dummies Guide... continued from previous post

Next job is to load both the tyres safely into a car (in my case my i10) along with clean cardboard and wooden blocks to keep the tyre on so as to prevent any damage to the brake disc, and proceed to your friendly neighborhood tyre changer having automatic equipment.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_25.jpg

The tyre is quite soft and easily opens up. Note that it is placed on top of another tyre (not visible) to prevent any rim damage
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_26.jpg

As this is TUBELESS SPOKED WHEEL, special care has to be taken as to not damage the sealing layer inside the rim
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_27.jpg

The new tyre now on the wheel along with it's earlier compatriot. The difference is self explanatory.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_28.jpg

The balancing of the rim is checked. For detailed process refer to the Superbike Puncture Repair Dummies Guide link posted in the previous post in the beginning. The balancing was found perfect to proceed further.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_29.jpg

The air pressure was checked to 40psi
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_30.jpg

And then the fitment was started in the reverse order. Take special care to align the ABS speed sensor and the wheel spacers as before. The rear brake caliper was refitted and brake lines and speed sensor cables placed back in their respective cable hooks.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_31.jpg

The drive belt was replaced in the sprocket and the axle adjuster screws were tightened to their previous position and the drive belt play and the wheel alignment was re-confirmed to be back to specs. The axle nut and washer was tightened to the specified torque with a Torque Wrench to 135-140Nm
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_32.jpg

The belt guard and debris deflector was fitted back
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_33.jpg

The Cobra slip-on was fitted back
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_34.jpg

Then the left saddlebag
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_35.jpg

And then the right saddlebag
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_36.jpg

And the job was done, though it was night time by now!
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_37.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-new-rear-tyre-replaced-26052018_38.jpg

Went for a short spin to check no warning (ABS) lights and confirm that the bike was handling properly.

Cheers for now...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th June 2018 at 15:35.
dkaile is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 16:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Changing the Battery on the Harley Heritage Softail - 19-06-2018

Finally got around changing the battery of the Heritage Softail, which I had already procured earlier (details in the previous posts).

The old battery ready to be removed as per the procedure already detailed in my previous posts. Always remove the Negative Terminal first and then the positive terminal while removing the old battery. Refitting of the new battery to be done in REVERSE order i.e. Positive Terminal first and then the negative one.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-battery-replaced-19062018_1.jpg

The new battery in place and ready to be tightened after lubricating with the special Dielectric Grease that I had procured recently from the US. This is a much better solution than smearing Vaseline, which just melts off in our high temperatures. This special dielectric grease stays in place even after years of use.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-battery-replaced-19062018_2.jpg

All the bolts were also smeared with the said special grease and the new battery is installed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-battery-replaced-19062018_3.jpg

Battery Voltage is checked at standstill and found to be at a perfect 13.15V
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-battery-replaced-19062018_4.jpg

Battery Voltage with the bike started. Charging circuit is working perfectly and delivering 14.32V when charging.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-battery-replaced-19062018_5.jpg

The bike is now back to it's half self start with the new powerhouse in place. Hope that this battery also lasts 5+ years as the old one did.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 21st June 2018 at 16:27.
dkaile is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 14:04   #147
Senior - BHPian

6th Year Update - 12-06-2019

The Heritage Softail is rolling fine as ever. Time for some small mods. First started with converting the normal H4 headlight bulb to LED.

Procured a pair of Night Eye LED Bulbs from AliExpress (about 700 bucks a piece). Fitted one in my Karizma and the other one goes into the Heritage.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_1.jpg

Size comparison of the normal and LED bulb which also has a built in fan for cooling

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_2.jpg

Opened up the headlight which is a pretty simple one screw affair.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_3.jpg

Took out the original halogen bulb which is a 60/55W H4

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_4.jpg

The LED bulb fitted in the housing

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_5.jpg

The Parking Light Bulb was also changed to LED

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_6.jpg

An extra original rubber closure was procured from the dealership (free of cost) to make a cutout for the new LED Bulb. Note that mine was a original HD, Made in USA part while now Harley procures from FIEM, India. Hence did not want to destroy the original rubber closure.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_7.jpg

The desired diameter hole was cutout from the new rubber closure

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_8.jpg

Both the bulbs properly fitted with dust proof rubber closures

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_9.jpg

The new LED Parking Light

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_10.jpg

And with the Headlight switched on

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_11.jpg

-----------------------------

Also procured some goodies from the dealership to do the next service, which I will be undertaking on my own as before, as detailed in the previous posts

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_12.jpg

Costed a princely 10775/- for these parts which also included a new Air Filter and a new set of Screaming Eagle Spark Plugs which I intend to change proactively.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_13.jpg

--------------------------------

In the meanwhile the screw holding the Passenger (Sissy Bar) Backrest came free

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_14.jpg

The new backrest costs around 7000/- bucks and was also not immediately available at the dealership. So went ahead to do a repair job on the old nut and repaired it with a healthy dose of Araldite. As you can see it's just a brass nut fitted into a plastic frame, which is perhaps the reason for it to come loose.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_15.jpg

The Sissy Bar Leather Ornament was carefully removed. It was just stuck with high bonding 3M tape to the sissy bar frame

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_16.jpg

The whole frame was cleaned with Iso Propyl Alcohol

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_17.jpg

And the Passenger Backrest was re-installed

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_18.jpg

7000 Bucks saved.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_19.jpg

------------------------------

Next project was to revive the Rear and Front Fender Tip Lights with proper LED Bulbs and without any diode circuit (which I had installed and detailed in earlier posts)

The circuit for the Rear Fender Tip Light already exists behind the Brake Light

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_20.jpg

3 LED Bulbs were fitted this time around

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_21.jpg

1 was for the Running Light and the rest 2 were for the Brake Light

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_22.jpg

Here it is with the Running Light on

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_23.jpg

And now with all 3 bulbs on with the Brake Light

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_24.jpg

Also changed the Front Fender Tip light to the same LED Bulb. Here it is in daytime

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_25.jpg

And this is how it looks in the night

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_26.jpg

---------------------------

Next Project was to change the Front Running (Fog) Lights to LED Bulbs as I had done with the Headlight

Compatible H27/881 LED Bulbs were procured from AliExpress for around 700 bucks for the pair

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_27.jpg

Here they are fitted into the Running (Fog) Lights

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_28.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the LED Bulb ad the normal halogen bulb

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_29.jpg

...... to be continued as 30 photo limit reached per post

Last edited by Aditya : 25th June 2019 at 17:25. Reason: Adding smiley
Old 12th June 2019, 14:16   #148
Senior - BHPian

6th Year Update - 12-06-2019 cont...

The next update was to also change the Rear Brake Light Bulb to LED. A compatible 3157/Double Filament bulb was procured from AliExpress for around 70 bucks

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_30.jpg

Here's how the new Bulb in Running Light mode looks in the daytime

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_31.jpg

And with Brakes on

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_32.jpg

And here's how it looks at night

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_33.jpg

A view from the front of the LED Headlight and the Running Lights

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_34.jpg

And from the Rear

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_35.jpg

Here's with a mate's 2019 Softail Deluxe which is now costing almost 23 Lacs on-road and that too without Saddle Bags.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_36.jpg

Cheers for now.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-12062019_37.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th June 2019 at 17:20. Reason: Spacing
dkaile is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 14:25   #149
BHPian

Loved this thread. Have started my research on the next big bike and have been reading up whatever information I can find on long term ownerships. Any update on your bike? I don't plan to use it in the city and only as a highway machine. Any other disadvantages about Harleys in general that you could point out since you have owned two?
Hamza123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 18:40   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
Any update on your bike? I don't plan to use it in the city and only as a highway machine. Any other disadvantages about Harleys in general that you could point out since you have owned two?
The bike is doing just fine, though due to many other commitments I am able to ride it a little less nowadays. Like I have said before, this is a bike you would love to pass on to your grand kids, not withstanding all the redundancy talk. It is far more comfortable than my Kawasaki Ninja 1000 which also falls in the sports-tourer category due to the sofa seats, forward touring stance and the back rest I have installed. And you can also get some very good bargains on pre-owned superbikes in today's economic scenario. I cant think of a better time to buy one if you want a keeper.

Cheers...

Most Viewed