Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 15:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

That's a hell of an upgrade Dheeraj sir, the bike looks majestic and belongs to the highways, city's will be too puny for this monster. Congrats on finding an upgrade so soon.

Have to say, I was a bit confused as to how HD delivered your bike so soon (confusion cleared after reading your write up). Its been 3 months today since I booked my 48 and still some time to go before I get my hands on "FREEDOM".

Keep riding and keep writing your experiences.
Vikram_agg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 18:12   #17
BHPian

Congratulations, Dhirajji on the upgrade from the superlow.

The thing that comes to mind, with the meticulous love bestowed on the superlow is, Did the superlow dig a hole in your pocket at the time you parted with it?

A comparo with the triumph, Ducati and Indian (the models you tried) will be perfectly in place.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 20:22   #18
BHPian

Nice one Sir! What an upgrade! Congratulations.

Now that the teaser is done cannot wait for the intricate details along with multiple pictures to follow.

This has to be one of the better upgrades on the forum and here I am still dreaming about buying my first Harley. Whenever I do I won't go lower than Superlow for sure.

Wish I could have bought your Superlow but for Finances and Logistics!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 18:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely gorgeous , this bike is what a Harley really is. Congratulations sir, loved reading your old thread and I am sure this one will be epic.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 19:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

Great Pictures ..

Quote:
After Today's 140 km ride (left view)

Were you by any chance on NH1 - Karnal ?
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 19:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Great Pictures ..

Were you by any chance on NH1 - Karnal ?
Thanks. Nope, NH 58 to Muzaffarnagar and beyond...
Old 20th April 2015, 08:49   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on the great upgrade dkaile. Followed your superlow thread and loved it. And continuing in the same vein, this thread promises to be even better. The softail family of bikes is something most bikes who love cruisers, aspire to..... including me. Btw , love the pics, great attention to detail. Happy mile crunching! Ride safe
troika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 11:02   #23
BHPian

Wow ! Congratulations ! Attention to detail, colors and, of course, chrome all look so Harley. Brilliant piece of machine.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 14:55   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing the detailed pictures of your beauty, Dkaile. Have added those 3 posts to the opening page itself .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:10   #25
BHPian

Now this is what I call an UPGRADE. Congrats on making such a great decision. Great colour. The pics are just perfectly able to capture the beauty of the beast, well almost! Great deal you got out there.

Wish you many happy and safe miles on your bike.

Ride safe,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 16:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Today opened up the seats to get the ECM data through the diagnostic port and connected our group's Dynojet Power Vision, which is a special hardware unit to tune/flash the ECU of all Harley's as per the Stage 1 and 2 kits fitted like e.g. Screamin Eagle Slip-On Exhausts or full exhaust systems like Vance & Hines True Duals or Big Shots long etc. along with Stage 1 or 2 Air Intake Kits/Air Cleaners to improve the stock performance of the Harley's to mind boggling levels for a cruiser (also known as the 'Harley Tax'... lolz). Some pictures -

The Rear Seat comes off in a minute by just removing a thumb tightening bolt
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-seat-removal_1.jpg

This is how the pillion seat looks from below
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-seat-removal_2.jpg

The rider seat and the pillion strap then comes off by removing 2 more thumb tightening bolts and looks like this
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-seat-removal_3.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-seat-removal_4.jpg

The cavity below the seat houses all the electricals including the battery, the ECM, fuse box, diagnostic port etc. The Battery is a 12V, 19 Ah, 315 CCA, sealed and maintenance free unit.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-seat-removal_5.jpg

The Dynojet Power Vision connected to the diagnostic port which is CAN based system
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-power-vision-connected_1.jpg

The Vehicle Info was read
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-power-vision-connected_2-copy.jpg

And the ECM Data was saved to send to Dynojet to buy a lifelong tuning licence for 199$.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-power-vision-connected_3-copy.jpg

Unlimited number of Harleys can be tuned by this device but you need to shell out those 200$ for each bike and can try out any number of permutation and combinations to tune your bike. I found 12 different tune variations for my bike with different set of exhausts and air cleaners attached -
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-power-vision-tunes-2013-softail-family.jpg

Second job today was to fit a pair of Screamin Eagle Exhausts which were lying around with me for the Softail family. So the stock exhausts were removed by removing 6 bolts in total, a 10 minute job
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-stock-exhausts-removed.jpg

And the Screamin Eagles were fitted
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-200415-scxreamin-eagles-fitted.jpg

The Heritage now sounds something like a Harley... lolz

Cheers.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th April 2015 at 16:45.
dkaile is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 16:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

So does it mean all those tunes were tried on this bike before?

And Just was thinking all along - Why Heritage Softail over a Fatboy? Is it because this was available for the taking?

(19L - cracker) - I am sure you'd not have gotten this for 50% of the price. (j/k)

your pricing may be in and around the price of a new 2015 FB? So why this?

Else - this is an awesome machine that you got. Full of shine n stuff! Congratulations!

Cheers
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 16:52   #28
BHPian

Congratulations Dkaile! That is a lovely addition and am sure a dream come true for you.
Lovely Pics and review i must say!

I look forward to a nice travelogue from you soon with the Bike as the Star.

Have you named her yet?
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 17:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
So does it mean all those tunes were tried on this bike before?

And Just was thinking all along - Why Heritage Softail over a Fatboy? Is it because this was available for the taking?

So why this?

Else - this is an awesome machine that you got. Full of shine n stuff! Congratulations!
Thanks for the good wishes Shubhakar!

No, none of these tunes were tried on the bike. The bike is complete stock and in showroom condition. This actually means that for the 2012 to 2015 Softail family these 12 permutations are available to allow you to fit either Vance & Hines or 2 Brothers Exhaust system etc. as there has been no change in the stock hardware since then. There is also a function of Auto Tune in the Power Vision by which the device is connected to the bike for a day or two and you are supposed to ride with it connected. The device then tunes your bike according to your 'personal' riding style and the accessories connected. It reads and adapts. Now isn't that wonderful!!

Why this? One, it was available and Second, after seeing the bike in person at the Capital Harley Gurgaon Showroom and the price I was getting, I was just blown off. So it was an instantaneous decision change. And I am not regretting a single moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I look forward to a nice travelogue from you soon with the Bike as the Star.

Have you named her yet?
Planning a Corbett trip this weekend and then a LEH TRIP in September with lots of short trips in between. Looking for fellow enthusiasts on 2 wheels to accompany me to LEH. Do PM me if anyone is interested for LEH.

No, not named her yet. How does 'FALCON' sound (with my Fortuner being the 'Millennium Falcon')? Eagles are in the blood of Harleys anyways. Lolz.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th April 2015 at 17:32.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 17:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
. Do PM me if anyone is interested for LEH.
Dheeraj,

That's a cool one, are you confident that the heritage will handle those terrains?
Which route are you planning to take?

Wow is the bike Second Hand? Man she is so clean
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks