Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 01:45   #181
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800-new-year.jpg
First of all a very Happy New Year to all of you! And what better way to enjoy the new year than a nice long ride with some amazing people.

8 months into its ownership and Godzilla is just touching the 3000 kms mark. The second service is still due. I had miscalculated the time period for the 2nd service - it was actually due in December and not November. But since December was a busy month , I requested KPB for Jan slot for the 2nd service. Awaiting a confirmed date for the same.

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160102_175653.jpg
Till then got to do and learn some basic stuff like chain cleaning and lubing. Rahul had noticed that my chain required cleaning and lubing. So last week borrowed some kerosene, cleaned the chain thoroughly and then washed it off with soap water. I was so proud of myself for doing an amazing job of cleaning the chain. I did not have chain lube so Rahul offered to lube the chain for me. I went to his place and proudly showed him the excellent job I had done. Before applying the chain lube, the chain had to be wiped and that's when he realised that the chain was still dirty and needs a more thorough cleaning. Thanks a lot Rahul for your help in cleaning and lubing the chain for me. The chain was lubed with Yamalube which is kind of a dry lube - unlike Motul which leaves deposits on the room and attracts more dust.

The new year brought in my 3rd long ride - and the 2nd with the Triumph Mumbai group. The ride this time consisted of many many many Bonneville's and a couple of Street Triples and Tigers. Thanks for the invite Rahul and thanks Triumph Mumbai for the warm welcome. We did a good 230 kms ride to Tiger Point, Lonavala. Thankfully I didn't feel left out because there were 3-4 other non Triumph bikes - a CBR1000, Indian, Street 750 and another Z800.

The assembly point was the Triumph showroom at Goregaon from where the bikes were flagged off.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160103_055621.jpg

Next stopover was outside the Panvel McD outlet.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160103_065720.jpg

The weather was cool and foggy.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160105_011229.jpg

Fog settled over the village below.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160103_081433.jpg

3rd stopover was at Kamats, Lonavala.

Final stopover was at Tiger Point where we all gathered for a quick chat and chai.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160103_175258.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160103_162029.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160103_090505.jpg

In all we covered around 244 kms and Godzilla consumed 10.5 litres of fuel returning a healthy average of around 23 kmpl.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160103_195305.jpg

The return trip was a very tiring one due to heavy traffic at Chembur / Sion. The bike had got very dirty and I was in no state to give it a wash.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img20160103wa0034.jpeg

So eventually I gave it a wash and its now ready for its next ride (probably to the dealer for its 2nd service)
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160103_221143.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160103_221129.jpg
v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 08:57   #182
Senior - BHPian

Pure Passion .

Its great to see you go on frequent rides. I think your bad back will slowly soak it all up and get accustomed. Whats the status on the exhaust mod that you were thinking on? GPR, HP Corse or Esportivo .

And we need to get ourselves to do the much procrastinated breakfast ride / drive.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:18   #183
Senior - BHPian

V-12 sir -- Is Kerosene recommended for cleaning chain?
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:21   #184
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Raj I try as much as possible not to let my back come in the way of my riding. But I do need to take frequent breaks on long rides to give it a rest. Regarding the exhaust - am still deciding on which one to go for. The Esportivo is completely ruled out since they do not ship even to the US.- although I feel that's the best looking and sounding exhaust. As of now, It's a tie between the GPR, HP Corse and the Arrrow due to budget constraints

Oh yes - the breakfast ride - we can plan one very soon. Holiday season is over and I guess we can get back to the short breakfast rides soon. More than the breakfast ride, you know what I am waiting for : )
Old 5th January 2016, 17:15   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Hey Shubz,

Absolutely ok to clean the chain with Kerosene. Have been doing it to all my motorcycles and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Its oil based and will not harm your "o" rings at all. After you are done cleaning make sure to lube the chain with a lube of your choice. Any excess can be wiped off. Here is a link as well.

Cheers.
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:28   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Hey Shubz,

Absolutely ok to clean the chain with Kerosene. Have been doing it to all my motorcycles and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Its oil based and will not harm your "o" rings at all. After you are done cleaning make sure to lube the chain with a lube of your choice. Any excess can be wiped off. Here is a link as well.
Odeen -- thanks, I thought Kerosene & Diesel kind of react with rubber in the "O" rings, deteriorating them.

Thanks for the Video!

(I am going to get to chain drive soon from being on Belt drive for the last couple of years) So the curiosity.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th January 2016 at 17:33. Reason: Please do not quote videos,images while responding. Thanks!
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:38   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Pure Passion .

Its great to see you go on frequent rides. I think your bad back will slowly soak it all up and get accustomed. Whats the status on the exhaust mod that you were thinking on? GPR, HP Corse or Esportivo .
Finally the Godzilla is seeing roads for more time than weekly washes
The exhaust discussion is never ending and is a hot topic whenever me and Allen meet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
More than the breakfast ride, you know what I am waiting for : )
Mustang. Mustang
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:47   #188
BHPian

Quote:

(I am going to get to chain drive soon from being on Belt drive for the last couple of years) So the curiosity.
I know, I read... the red cape is coming.
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 22:42   #189
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes kerosene is what I have always been using to clean of any grime or muck from all my bikes (mostly the engine area and the wheels). Although this is the first time that I cleaned the chain on my own. As Rahul mentioned its very harmless as long as you don't spray it on the tyres or the disc. I have also heard people recommending diesel as a good alternative to clean the chain.

An interesting article I found on Chain Cleaning :
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...chain-cleaner/

Anyways the below pics are not related to chain cleaning. It's a pic of my Machismo which was opened up to paint the engine. While it was opened the entire bike was cleaned with kerosene - especially the chasis.

Before
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-56900.jpg

After
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-56901.jpg
Quote:

Forgive my question

So you planning to modify your Harley to a chain drive or are you planning to buy a new bike. From Rahuls response it seems you getting a new bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Finally the Godzilla is seeing roads for more time than weekly washes
The exhaust discussion is never ending and is a hot topic whenever me and Allen meet!

Mustang. Mustang
Thanks Aman! Yes it's just been short breakfast rides and night town rides till now. This ride was a good change for me - helped me in munching up the miles.

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20151115_0750392.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20151115_0751352.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20151129_1956142.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20151115_0750492.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-picsart_010510.37.19.jpg
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 22:45   #190
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha! Modifying Harley to a chain drive! Wow! Einstien might be squirming in his grave.

Just that i am waiting for the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S -- scheduled to be delivered in the last week of Jan (Crossing fingers)

Cheers
Old 5th January 2016, 23:05   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The chain was lubed with Yamalube which is kind of a dry lube - unlike Motul which leaves deposits on the room and attracts more dust.

The new year brought in my 3rd long ride - and the 2nd with the Triumph Mumbai group. The ride this time consisted of many many many Bonneville's and a couple of Street Triples and Tigers.
Hey, I was in the vicinity too, you might have seen my pass on the way back. Black Daytona 675. I had come by to meet one of the Mumbai RATs.

Where do you get the Yamalube chain spray?

Quote:
Odeen -- thanks, I thought Kerosene & Diesel kind of react with rubber in the "O" rings, deteriorating them.

Thanks for the Video!

Kerosene and diesel are safe for chain cleaning. Petrol is not. Neither is WD40 - though it's ok if you wipe off immediately and not leave in on.
Diesel is a fairly heavy oil, and safe. Kerosene may be less friendly, but it's used to clean only and evaporates after a while. Of the two , diesel of safer.

Congrats on the Duc. HD (cruiser) to Multistrada (adventure) - that's a big change!

Last edited by Ricci : 5th January 2016 at 23:19.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 23:09   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ricci! :-) How's you been?

Yeah thats some change! A Cruiser to a Sportsbike. Well the transformation has been back and forth

Sportsbike -- Duke
Semi Sports -- Iron 883
Cruiser -- Fatboy
Sports-Tourer - MTS.

So lapping up all the rusty knowledge on Sportsbike Maintenance etc.

Thanks to v12 - he isn't minding our hijacking his thread.

I was under the myth that Kerosene/Diesel eat up the rubber in the O rings. Now I know I am mistaken.

Last edited by Shubz : 5th January 2016 at 23:10.
Old 5th January 2016, 23:19   #193
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Ducati Shubz - from an Iron to a Fatboy and now to an ADV bike. A very exciting and interesting upgrade. Hope you get it on time and going by your other threads, I am waiting to read about your MS1200. What color have you chosen?

Ricci - Oh no - I did not notice any black Daytona. Would have loved to meet up with you. There's always a next time!
Regarding Yamalube - Rahul was kind enough to lend it (and lube) my chain.

OT : I don't mind the hijacking at all
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 09:00   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an interesting study done on the effect of various solvents used for chain maintenance.

Although the thread is old and pictures are missing from the report, it does make for an informed read.

I used to resort to diesel initially on my Ninja 250 for cleaning the chain. Stuck with Motul for chain clean and lube for a long time now.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 17:06   #195
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800-2-service.jpg

So finally at 3,016 kms Godzilla went in for its 2nd service. The 2nd service was the same as the first service - only difference this time being thag the chain was cleaned by Motul Chain cleaner (1st service - WD40) and lubed with Yamalube (1st service - Motul).

Here is my feedback for the KPB team :

Quote:
Z800 2nd Service experience at Kawasaki Palm Beach

I finally got the 2nd service done for my Z800 today. Took a booking from Ganesh for 11:30 AM today morning. The bike feels so smooth now after the service - feels just like new. The experience was as always good and punctual. Had always heard and read about Stuart years ago in BSM and other magazines and finally got to meet him today. Very experienced and knowledgeable person - and above all a nice person to talk to. Had a good chat with him while I was there. The bike was serviced by Ganesh and Sagar and was very well done. The first thing that I tell Ganesh when I get my bike for servicing is that "My bike is 100% scratchless. Please ensure its the same during and after the service". I think this was the last time and I am never going to tell him this again. Because he is very ... And I mean very careful with the bikes. He works on the bike as if it is his own bike. Very careful and passionate about his work. I did not interact with Sagar much but he definitely did a good job with the servicing too.

To conclude, I am very happy with the service. I share the same feedback for the 1st service as well.

So a BIG thanks to Mudassar, Stuart, Ganesh and Sagar for the excellent service.

Most Viewed