Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 09:47   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
So I was looking for a good crown (windscreen) for Godzilla. Was checking online for all the available brands - Puig, Pyramid and other local ones. Nothing was available for under 8-10k. Found a few on AliExpress as well but was not sure of the quality.
Allen : Do you have to look through this screen? Hope not as you will not be able to view anything going by how dark it is

I have ordered for the Puig screen and ready for delivery and awaiting my pick up (will do so in evening) and I was in a dilemma for more than a month and was the reason for losing out the group buy is whether should I buy the clear (functional and perfect) or light smoke( looks great on bike and might not be 100% functional).....There is a dark smoke option too but, that is 100% cosmetic and will be a nightmare to see through it

Quote:
While the Puig and Pyramid are excellent at reducing windblast - those would be effective only at high speeds I.e. above 140-150. Something that Captain Slow (that's me) is not going to see for a long time. So my requirement was just cosmetic and not functional.
Woah! Are you telling Godzilla hasn't seen those speeds yet?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 11:16   #287
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Avi - the screen is much lower than the eye level and I would not be looking through the screen. Am putting it for pure aesthetics reason only. Will see how it looks and accordingly keep it or remove it off. Reason why I am not going for a functional windscreen is because I don't do those speeds - else would have gone for a Puig
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 02:06   #288
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally got the meter covers removed to check the mounting points of the FZ-S windscreen. The meter cover is mounted at 4 points whereas the FZ windscreen uses 6 points. Luckily the bottom 2 holes / points of rhe meter cover and the windscreen match perfectly. The middle points of the windscreen are a few mm's away from the meters points. So will have to drill an additional hole on the windshield. Plan to do do this on the weekend. Regarding the 3rd mounting hole, will try and use the same set of screws to hide them else they may look a bit weird. My only worry is that the windscreen should not rattle else I will have to put up the windshield here (The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian).

The FZ-S with 6 mounting points (3 on either side)
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160728_015104.jpg

The mounting points for the meter cover
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-picsart_072801.49.39.jpg

The windscreen mounted on the lower points
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-picsart_072801.54.00.jpg

Additional holes due to gap between the 2 points.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-picsart_072802.00.47.jpg
Old 28th July 2016, 05:46   #289
BHPian

Quote:
So finally got the meter covers removed to check the mounting points of the FZ-S windscreen.
The Puig windscreen looks sharp on the Z. It's quite effective as well, so says my riding buddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-puig_z800.jpg  

CoolBlueBiker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 17:55   #290
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally installed the windscreen today and I must say it looks good. Here are some pics from different angles. Feedback and comments most welcome. Will post some daylight pics when I take the bike out.

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160729_174904.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160729_174800.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160729_171954.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160729_172355.jpg
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 18:17   #291

That actually looks very very good IMHO! Did you have to make any alterations or drill extra holes in the screen? What about the extra holes on top? Any plans to cover those? I am only thinking how it will hold up on higher speeds, and if they will vibrate and breakup.
dotz_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 23:21   #292
Senior - BHPian

Hi V12, You have a lovely bike there. I just stumbled upon this thread and have gone through only the last few pages. What jumped at me is that you are already thinking of selling your bike and have barely done any miles on it. I myself am a noob and don't mean to preach, but would still like to share my POV and experience with you on the matter

You have bought yourself a performance machine. Its capabilities far exceed the skill level of 99% riders in the country. So for you to actually enjoy the bike, you need to improve - period

There are some indicators of how well you are able to ride - One of which are your "Chicken strips". While many scoff at it and rubbish it with whatever they may have read on other forums; its a good indicator of how comfortable one is with their bike. Again, no offence meant but yours need to lose some weight. They are FAT. Ask yourself, on your trip to lonavala, how comfortable were you around those bends? Were little Katooms and Pulsars and other two fiddy's screaming past you? If ya, that's a good indicator that some work is required

Now, I don't mean that go out, do 150+ on a public road and scrape pegs the next time you are out for a ride. But take it gradually. When you hit high-ish speeds; actually feel the change in dynamics, the handlebar getting heavier, the bike's behavior while on or off throttle. Don't read about it in books or internet, actually experience it; every single time you ride. This is your bike trying to talk to you, so you better be listening

You must have spent a bundle on the HP Corse thingy. It looks great I must say. But what else? I wonder why you would spend money on a performance exhaust (when you yourself have mentioned that speed is not your thing) and not on something like a pair of handlebar risers that would help your aching back. Its your choice of course but do ask yourself, look / sound more important than being able to ride better? Not for me and I am sure; not for you either

And selling your under 2 year / 5k ish run motorcycle? Why? I remember GTO's post on the "lateral upgrade" thread. I think he said something like - "these guys buy the vehicle, carefully run it in, take a huge hit on depreciation and sell it cheap to guys like me". Its not verbatim but I think I am pretty close. So ..... wanna be that guy?

You probably want another ADV type bike because of the ergos, correct? Why not try and make this bike fit you? Bar risers, padded seats with a reduced pitch, adjustable footpegs etc. This is what I believe you must research and invest in next. Trust me, makes a HUGE difference

Overall, here's my suggestion:

- Try and make the bike fit you
- Take a track day if at all possible (with coaching). This will probably be the best money you ever spent
- Ride with some fast guys. Observe them. It rubs off on you, promise
- Body aches : Focus on getting healthy, always grip the motorcycle with your legs at all times. For me, pains begin when I stop paying attention to how I am gripping the bike and start to use my upper body to both hold on and steer. It tires you out real quick
- Up your pace very gradually. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. Speed doesn't matter, but your control at that speed .... does!
- Most importantly - Practice Practice Practice. Get as much seat time as you can

Again, I hope I have not offended you and you take the (Looooonngggg) post in the right spirit. I too am learning and trying to get better at this riding thing

Take care and ride safe!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 23:29   #293
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks dotz13,

Yes I had to drill 2 holes in the windscreen. The center holes on the windscreen are the original ones. Will have to check for vibrations when I take it for a ride next. Will keep you posted on it.

Hello Urban_Nomad,

First of all - no offence taken at all on your post. You pretty much summed everything up in one post. I agree that there is a lot that I need to do to really enjoy the bike as it should be. You really hit the nail on most of the points that you mentioned and I will definitely make note of it. Thanks and really appreciate it
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 08:22   #294
BHPian

Lovely looking bike - black & green is definitely the one!

These bikes (and the Stripple) are a 'factory streetfighter' and they aren't supposed to be all-day comfortable. The sort of miles yours has covered is totally normal for sportsbike/streetfighter here. Most guys into fast road riding on those sorts of bikes hang out for an hour or two then head off for a 50-100km blast, often at high speeds. A British owned sports or streetfighter will usually cover 2000-5000km per year and only come out on dry roads.

I agree you should try an aftermarket seat, risers and peg lowering kit. If that doesn't help and you want to do 200-300km rides you probably need another bike - but you need to do 300km on an upright bike to know if it will improve matters?

The tyres you have on the bike look quite aggressive / sporty. If so, they won't heat up fast and wont grip so good if they don't, or work well in dusty or damp conditions. You might be better off with a dual compound sport touring tyre when you come to change given that you are not a 'fast' guy pushing it hard.
Rob UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 20:26   #295
BHPian

Hi team, Got a thought to look out for a second hand Z800 to save few bucks. Saw an ad online, asking price 6.75 L (nego) - 2015 model - 5k Odo, MH 05 regd. But point of concern is it met with an accident and got repaired. Parts replaced - Radiator & Right side fairing and few other parts.

1) Would it be advisable to go for such bike if he comes down by big margin?
2) What other things do I need to look out for when going for second hand?
3) What other things do I need to look out for, when going for such crashed bike?
4) What is the max that we can offer, in this case?

Any other suggestion on looking out for Used bikes are welcome.
Old 7th August 2016, 21:04   #296
BHPian

Hi, I wouldn't advise you to go ahead with it as you never know the after effects of an accident.

Better to pay a little premium for a clean bike else buying a new one is hitting the bullseye anyhow.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 21:12   #297
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

If it were me, I would avoid going for an accident bike altogether. Even though otY have been fully repaired, you never know whT problems would crop up later. It also depends on -
How minor or major was the accident?
Where the repairs were carried out and whether there is a record of the same?
what all parts were replaced against what all were needed to be replaced.
Were there any major damages to the chassis or suspension or wheels or engine - and if all the repairs were carried out by professionals?

6.75 is a good price for a one year old Z800 under 5k. But if I were you, I would have added a bit more and gone for a brand new bike. Or better still get a N650 or a Versys 650.

All the best and tread carefully on such deals.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 22:47   #298
BHPian

@V12 as you said looking out for minor or major and where the job got done is important. I just got the repair bill with list of parts replaced...Its long list and the crash is Major. Total cost just for parts (excluding Labour & tax) = 2.8 lacs. Although the job is completely done by kawasaki service center.
I would rather have to stay away from this deal. Attached the bill.

Team - Any suggestions on how to go about choosing a used bike are welcome, including but not limited to cases like online ads, no direct contact with the seller, no physical check and more over from a different state/location.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Estimate Z800.docx (50.5 KB, 386 views)
Old 8th August 2016, 02:08   #299
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of threads to help you make a decision.

Team-BHP - How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India

Xbhp.com - Buying a second hand (used) Superbike
Old 8th August 2016, 08:48   #300
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2016 at 14:40.

Most Viewed