Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2016, 03:46   #316
BHPian

re: Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
So finally after 5 months in hibernation, I took Godzilla out for a solo ride to Lonavala yesterday. Although the bike was stored away in a basement since May, I have been regularly starting it and taking it for a short spin twice/thrice a week. With the rains gone now and another event coming up yesterday, it was a good time to take it out of its captivity. Got the bike home, gave it a much needed wash (after 5 months) - even though it was still clean. Followed the usual rituals - Fuel Top up, tyre pressure checked and off for a long ride.
Good to see Godzilla on open roads after so long! It looks smashing as always. How does the exhaust sound now that it has broken in properly? Riding in night certainly isn't easy and much more difficult on busy narrow highways.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 09:08   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Allen : Nice to see your experience of night riding and agree with you about it's dangers; it feels nothing short of a nightmare especially for inexperienced folks

I avoid night rides like the plague; despite that have done plenty of night rides spanning beautiful highways, state roads and also rode at night in no-road conditions so I know how it feels. However, all these instances were for the fact that I could not avoid them in the first place as it happens often during long rides.

For long rides, I always plan in such a way that I leave at 6:00am at the least and reach destination by 7:00pm but, there are times it's not possible to follow the plan to T and you end up riding at night for a few hours and is actually mandatory for many long rides

If it's on a 4-lane divided road, then night riding is actually bliss but, if it's on narrow 2-lane state highways coupled with heavy traffic it's seriously risky and very dangerous due to various factors like heavy glare from oncoming traffic, people driving fast, pure guess work happening while crossing each other etc.

Some things to remember when riding at night :

1. Make sure you are aided by Aux lights as stock lights are never enough

2. Stay hydrated and focus on road- ensure to keep on left most side of the road

3. Keep an eye on the left line/shoulder, so you don't overshoot the left side and land up into some fields

4. NEVER look directly into the headlights of any oncoming vehicle

5. Keep changing the light focus from low to high beam as it will give your vision a better sense of road condition ahead

6. Ride defensive and avoid being aggressive

Well, riding once in a while at night is awesome fun but, in general should be avoided
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 18:04   #318
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aman, Avi!

Really agree with the points you made.

Auxiliary lights are a must - the low beam is kind of useless on the highway and the high beams are just about good. But aux lights with a wider and longer spread is really a boon in spotting bad and uneven roads.

Had my hydration pack filled with cold water and was sipping on it every half hour. On the Expressway, I was riding on the extreme left of the slowest lane with enough of the service lane/patch left Incase of emergency.

On the old highway, I am not sure if it was a right thing to do - but I was riding with the hazard lights on just as a warning to the behind vehicles that I am going slower than usual.

Yes, I was changing between low and high beam frequently. One reason is to get a better sense of the road. The other being that when I felt the high beam wasn't bright enough, I would change to low beam. And then changing back to high beam which made me feel better. Stupid I know - but it made me feel better.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th October 2016 at 05:24. Reason: Typo
Old 17th October 2016, 18:44   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aman, Avi!

On the Expressway, I was riding on the extreme left of the slowest lane with enough of the service lane/patch left Incase of emergency.

Am I missing something here ? Did you just ride a 2 wheeler on the Mumbai Pune express way ? Is it not plain illegal ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 17th October 2016, 21:12   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Am I missing something here ? Did you just ride a 2 wheeler on the Mumbai Pune express way ? Is it not plain illegal ?

Regards

Dieseltuned

2-wheelers are allowed to join MPEW after khandala and have to take the khopoli exit on the way to Mumbai.

On the other hand they are allowed to join the MPEW after khopoli and have to take the lonavla exit.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 11:09   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the headlamps, changing just the bulbs to a higher wattage may be fine. But changing the entire headlight to the HID ones may void your warranty. Have seen pics of Z800s with the angel eyes setup and believe me - they look ugly.

If you are planning to buy a Z800 next year, you coukd wait for the 2017 model. Have heard that its going to be fully faired.
Yeah.. the angel eyes look really cheap and ugly. That's the reason I did not even put that mod down in my need-to-do list once I get the motorcycle. So, just upping the wattage would do? Wouldn't it require a better battery? I'm sorry if my questions appear really noob, but I am a noob in this matter. I read that they are planning to replace the Z800 with the Z900. I am going to miss try he mean looks of this one!
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:32   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Yeah.. the angel eyes look really cheap...mean looks of this one!
Hey Doc, Increasing the wattage may sound good on paper but the existing headlight doom may be a bottle neck, you will not get the expected results. Best practice would be to add additional spot lights. Battery may not be an issues unless you keep the lights on while the engine is off. The Zeds alternator can handle a few extra watts.

Also heard of the Z900 being showcased, in my opinion it would not replace the Z800 due to its price point. Even though the tabloids are suggesting that it would. It may be a cheaper alternative to the Z1000 as their sales figure is extremely low last year and may as well replace the Z1000. After all it's a scaled down version of the Z1000 more than a scaled up version of the Z800. Just my thoughts.

Quote:
Thanks Aman, Avi!

Really agree with the points you made....Stupid I know - but it made me feel better.
Congratulations on your solo ride and riding in the night.

My 2 cents on riding in the night may be helpful next time

Riding in the night has its perks expect it will take more effort on the riders part, you need to keep the transition smooth and really enjoy what you are doing, Otherwise you will long to reach your destination and the riding experience is lost. Never ride too slow as it makes you take it easy and you may not react in time in an emergency situation. Ride at moderate speeds so you keep your self active and settle into a rhythm. You need to focus on where you are going and your surroundings more than your riding itself so ride within your limits.Since your vision is limited your instincts should be on the edge.Avoid staring directly at on coming headlights for starters gives you a head ache in no time. It's really good to choose a route that is lit as Indian roads tend to have more bad patches unless it's a newly laid one.
Changing between low and high beam is a good way to check your sight in the night also its a way of announcing your self to oncoming traffic that you are there. Ideally if you notice most vehicles that keep busy will be doing the same on roads that don't have enough lighting or during twilight.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th October 2016 at 05:23. Reason: Please use the edit button instead of creating back-to-back posts within a short interval.
snap316 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 21:31   #323
BHPian

@v12, nice to see you getting your beast out on the roads. Your Z looks as monstrous as that "Komatsu truck'.

Hey, Can anybody suggest which one of the following could be a good sounding after market exhaust for Z800 at low price? My choice of sound - Deep Bass and less noisy at higher RPMs unlike CRT exhausts. I am currently contemplating 1) Arrow RaceTech - 45k 2) SC-Project Carbon Oval - 40k 3) Akrapovic (good, without DB Killer) - 65k; any other suggestions?

Out of the above lot, Akra is expensive but can be fitted with butterfly valve. So now, my question is, What problems may arise if we remove EXUP valve especially on the tech/mech front, other than disregarding emission norms/noise levels?

I read on the net regarding butter valve and its usage. Some say its relating to exhaust scavenging and some say its purely to meet emission norms/noise levels.

Last edited by idpsharma : 27th October 2016 at 21:36. Reason: Missed to add a point
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 00:49   #324
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The only good thing about the Akra is that it is specifically built for the Z800 and there is a connection for the butterfly valve. But don't let that be the only criteria to make your choice on. Disconnecting the butterfly valve would not cause any issues.

The best option is to check some YouTube videos for the sound that suits you and go for it. My criteria was almost similar to yours - deep bass and less noisy at higher rpm. The HP Corse with the db killer sounds just perfect - I have never tried it without the db killers - but intend to do so one day. But yes, do research on the sound to see which one is to your taste or best option is to check out Z's fitted with any of the aftermarket exhausts that you are looking for.

An interesting read on the Exhaust Valve :
http://www.skutr.net/exhaust-valves-...ors-explained/

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-servo.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161028_000347.jpg

Finally finally reached another milestone after a year and a half- the 5000kms mark. Probably just half of what anyone would cover within a year. It's been a smooth 5000 kms and I have not had any issues till date.

A couple of things (not much to do with the bike) that didn't go well :
  • I had used some local spools on the bike and they fell off from the bike within a few months.
  • The original horn would occasionally conk off in traffic or when the bike is hot - but with the dual setup - not seen a single issue.
  • Kawasaki quality seems to be outstanding - you won't believe but I don't see a spot of rust anywhere on the bike. Not even the nuts and bolts and the brake disc. The only screw that is a bit rusty is the one that I fitted on the frame sliders.
  • I find the tank cover/cowl too boring - am planning to stick the 2016 Z800 stickers (if they are available) or the OE Kawasaki tank logo/decal.

Questions to the expert :
Now that I have covered 5000 kms on the bike - is there anything that really needs to be changed?
I have only done 2000 kms since the last service and 80% of it within the city. The last 2 services have only been about changing the engine oil and the oil filter. I plan to change the following in December regardless of the number of Kms I cover :
  • Engine Oil
  • Oil Filter

What about these consumables?
  • Air filter (should I stick with OE or any other options like BMC or K&N)
  • Brake Pads
  • Spark Plugs
  • Anything else?
(Do they need to be changed? Planning to stock two sets. What would you recommend - OE or any aftermarket ones)

Reason why I am asking so many questions is that I don't want to go in for a full fledged service and change something that's not required to be changed. I'd rather wait and cover another 5000 kms and get a full fledged 3rd service / 12000 kms done. Awaiting your suggestions and feedback guys.

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th October 2016 at 08:21. Reason: Merging back to back posts :)
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 16:11   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I was changing between low and high beam frequently. One reason is to get a better sense of the road. The other being that when I felt the high beam wasn't bright enough, I would change to low beam. And then changing back to high beam which made me feel better. Stupid I know - but it made me feel better.
That's not stupid at all. If anything, its a sound tip for night riding since alternating between hi-low beams reduces strain on the eyes and also serves to give a better judgement of the road well in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
2-wheelers are allowed to join MPEW after khandala and have to take the khopoli exit on the way to Mumbai.

On the other hand they are allowed to join the MPEW after khopoli and have to take the lonavla exit.

Asit
Also, riders new to the E-way or locals usually continue riding straight rather than taking the exit down to the old highway at Kalamboli.

More than often, they are flagged down by cops or highway authorities and redirected to the old highway at the Palaspe junction(been there, done that!)
Turbo_Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 19:00   #326
BHPian

Quote:
The original horn would occasionally conk off in traffic or when the bike is hot - but with the dual setup - not seen a single issue.
Yes, regarding the horn issue, even I experienced the same during my ride in traffic or when the engine is hot. What is this dual setup? did you go for dual horns aftermarket setup? Sorry if you have already mentioned in your previous posts.
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 20:28   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Reason why I am asking so many questions is that I don't want to go in for a full fledged service and change something that's not required to be changed. I'd rather wait and cover another 5000 kms and get a full fledged 3rd service / 12000 kms done. Awaiting your suggestions and feedback guys.
Do a general check up and maybe a scan, do oil and filter replacement and do a clean up or replacement of air filter. My advice is to stick to regular air filter they are cheaper and offers best filtration for our kind of dusty environment.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:36   #328
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
Yes, regarding the horn issue, even I experienced the same during my ride in traffic or when the engine is hot. What is this dual setup? did you go for dual horns aftermarket setup? Sorry if you have already mentioned in your previous posts.
Yes idp - I have installed a pair of aftermarket Denso horns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do a general check up and maybe a scan, do oil and filter replacement and do a clean up or replacement of air filter. My advice is to stick to regular air filter they are cheaper and offers best filtration for our kind of dusty environment.
Thanks Jaggu! Yes plan to get the oil and filter changed this year. Have a friend coming down from the US and am thinking of getting some of the OE replacement parts from there. Am unable to find a website from where I can order these parts. Any leads?

P.S. When do we see your Striple ownership review ?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:04   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. When do we see your Striple ownership review?
He sold it sometime back and bought a preworshipped "Tiggu" (Tiger 800 XRX)

And, yeah that's the name he gave her
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:42   #330
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
He sold it sometime back and bought a preworshipped "Tiggu" (Tiger 800 XRX)

And, yeah that's the name he gave her
Wow - that's a nice name - rhymes with Jaggu Would love to see a detailed thread and pics of Tiggu! Also if you don't mind sharing more details on the XRX - Year, kms, price etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks