Team-BHP - Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/163422-godzilla-my-monster-japan-kawasaki-z800-now-sold-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronH4WK (Post 3703710)
What's this for anyways? Cooling, due to high speeds?

I think it's to cut down weight! A big block of alloy would increase the weight considerably. My 390 has these holes too, IIRC.

Guys, these are cast alloys. These holes are there for the material to be poured into the dies/moulds.

But what's that's solidified lava type gunk seen inside in one of the photos?

OT: Next time you'll have these team bhp biker mini rides please call us poor souls too.
BTW:- 13kmpl is not good. I get about 18kmpl on the z1000 and that too with good bursts of speeds now and then. Reset your OBC and try again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojogator (Post 3703698)
BTW, the holes there but it is clean inside.
One query from my side, is there a little hole just behind the key console ? I noticed it today and it freaked me out !

I guess this is a drain hole to drain out water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odeen12 (Post 3703717)
This was a lot of FUN. Thank you V12 for letting me be a part of the ride. I haven't been able to ride the Speed for sometime and this helped a lot. Thank you again. Awesome company. And brilliant meeting you.
The Kawasaki felt so refined and quiet. Its truly amazing how it behaves. Once you do finish your run in..i sure would like you see her let loose.

Would love to this more often.

Regards
Rahul

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Likewise Rahul, the ride was fun. I'll let you know once I finish my run-in. Hopefully I will gather enough courage by then to let it loose - you know what I mean :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3704076)
Guys, these are cast alloys. These holes are there for the material to be poured into the dies/moulds.

But what's that's solidified lava type gunk seen inside in one of the photos?

Thanks Ebonho! I guess that's the exact reason why those holes are there. At first I Thought it was for weight reduction or to dissipate heat. I don't understand what that is , but going by your explanation it maybe the the material that was poured into and not machined out. The other Z800's have a very smooth finish inside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danlalan (Post 3704112)
OT: Next time you'll have these team bhp biker mini rides please call us poor souls too.
BTW:- 13kmpl is not good. I get about 18kmpl on the z1000 and that too with good bursts of speeds now and then. Reset your OBC and try again.

Hey Dan, this ride was actually planned with only 2 other guys. It was decided at a very short notice. But next time we will keep in mind :) I think we can start a new thread similar to the Bangalore weekend rides one, what say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 3704235)
Thanks Ebonho! I guess that's the exact reason why those holes are there. At first I Thought it was for weight reduction or to dissipate heat. I don't understand what that is , but going by your explanation it maybe the the material that was poured into and not machined out. The other Z800's have a very smooth finish inside.

Then I suggest you escalate and ask for a replacement (each wheel is upward of half a lac, so no reason a paying customer should get a less than perfect one).

The excess material could not only mess with the balance of the wheel, it also indicates an overspill. What is the reason for that? Could it also be an indicator of an x-ray fault somewhere in the metallurgy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 3704235)

I think we can start a new thread similar to the Bangalore weekend rides one, what say?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...2012-13-a.html found this one. But yes we can start another thread or edit the name for this one. Mumbai breakfast rides?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 3703612)
Hey IronHawk,

Yes the hole is there on both - the front and rear wheels. I believe its there on the Ninja 650 and all other superbikes as well. I checked a friends Z800 today and everything inside looked quite normal and machined perfectly.

Sojo/Djay/Celestial : Could you check from your end and confirm please?

v12 The holes are normal. I have seen them on quite a few bikes. Not sure about the clump of metal there though. I will need to take a close look at my wheels as well.

BTW where did you get the guards installed? Is it not possible to DIY?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3704261)
Then I suggest you escalate and ask for a replacement (each wheel is upward of half a lac, so no reason a paying customer should get a less than perfect one).

The excess material could not only mess with the balance of the wheel, it also indicates an overspill. What is the reason for that? Could it also be an indicator of an x-ray fault somewhere in the metallurgy?

I agree with you Ebonho. If this is a defect then I will definitely ask for a replacement under warranty. Could this be the reason why I have these weights attached on the bike?
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20150502_175032.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by danlalan (Post 3704369)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...2012-13-a.html found this one. But yes we can start another thread or edit the name for this one. Mumbai breakfast rides?

Hey Dan, I guess we can continue on that thread itself but a new one would be better since it will be only for short weekend rides. I'll leave it to you to start a new thread since I am not very active offline :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCelestial (Post 3704593)
v12 The holes are normal. I have seen them on quite a few bikes. Not sure about the clump of metal there though. I will need to take a close look at my wheels as well.

BTW where did you get the guards installed? Is it not possible to DIY?

Hey Celestial, yes its only that lump of deformed metal that's worrying me. It should not be a problem but if it's a defective piece it should be replaced.

I got the engine guards installed on my own - not at the dealership.

Am planning for the following accessories for the bike :
Have any of you experienced the ABS kicking in when you brake hard? How does it feel? Do the brake pedals judder very violently and does it make a grinding sound? I haven't experienced it yet - but just want to be prepared and not panic when I face such a situation.

Quote:

Have any of you experienced the ABS kicking in when you brake hard? How does it feel? Do the brake pedals judder very violently and does it make a grinding sound? I haven't experienced it yet - but just want to be prepared and not panic when I face such a situation.
Hey V12, Hope all good.

Have felt this. The kid popped out of nowhere on his bicycle and had no option but to brake hard. You will feel the brake pedal judder. Hence the clacking sound too. Won't have a grinding sound though. Front brake is where the stopping power comes from.The rear will just slow you down.

Cheers
Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 3706522)

Hey Celestial, yes its only that lump of deformed metal that's worrying me. It should not be a problem but if it's a defective piece it should be replaced.

I got the engine guards installed on my own - not at the dealership.

Thanks. Did you need any special tools or was the Z800 toolkit good enough?

I have never locked the front yet, but its easy enough to lock the rear. Thankfully, I found the ABS on the Z800 to be less intrusive (vs Duke/RC 390). All I felt was a slight tug at the brake pedal.

Quote:

. Could this be the reason why I have these weights attached on the bike?

The weights are purely for the wheel balancing stuff. But in all possibilities please do check and have the alloy replaced. That stuff should not be left over which looks like a residue post moulding

Quote:

Could this be the reason why I have these weights attached on the bike?

As Mahesh mentioned, those weights are fitted to all alloys at the time of balancing. No alloy would come out of the factory perfectly balanced. Obviously that big gob of excess metal spill/leak-over means the wheel has to be balanced with more weight on the opposite side. I would personally make the right noises into the right ears about it. Its not what you expect to find in a machine costing close to a million rupees.

Thanks Rahul, Celestial, Ebonho and Ku69rd for your feedback. I will be taking the bike tomorrow to the dealer to have it checked. Will keep you guys updated on it.

Anyways spent Saturday evening riding with Odeen12 around the area searching for a good coffee shop. Actually more than looking for a good coffee shop, we were looking for a coffee shop with a secure parking space. It was a quick meet and a short ride - but an enjoyable one as well. The most funny part of it was his Speed Triple being ahead of me and me changing gears listening to his Arrow's.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-speedz800.jpg

I also got my registration number on Saturday - so took the bike to Milan subway (where else) to have the plates made. I was looking for German Plates - but then I felt they suit cars more than bikes. Then thought about the embossed ones - but they were too common. So went for the normal acrylic ones - I feel they look good - but I may change it soon :)
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800regn2.jpg Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800regn1.jpg Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800regn3.jpg

Godzilla has travelled 142 kms in this week since the last fill up. And it started feeling thirsty again. The fuel bar was on E - so stopped to fill it up. Gobbled exactly 12 litres of Speed97 giving an average of 11.9 kmpl. I know it is a bit less - thats because of riding it to office and back everyday in slow moving traffic.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800fuel.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800250507.jpg

Its been 25 days and Godzilla has travelled around 500 kms. Most of the travelling has been office to work - a total of 16 kms to and fro. Weekend rides included one Panvel and one town breakfast ride. The rest of the k's were covered within my area itself. Its really a pain (and a stress too) to ride the Z (or for that matter any 2 wheeler) during the day. No matter how cool you may look on a superbike, you wont feel any of it while riding during the day - The hot sun above you and the hot engine below you sre enough to take away all the coolness.

Anyways coming to the Z - the reason why - inspite of the hot weather - I take it to office is because I only have a month (or half) left before the rains arrive. I dont ride in the rains - so I am trying to ride the bike as much before monsoons. The engine is really smooth, the gears (except for the first which "clunks") is even smoother. On my way to work, I do encounter bad patches (uneven paver blocks) - and surprisingly I dont feel the bumps - the suspension is damn comfortable. I still have to experience the rear seat comfort (or discomfort as everyone calls it). It is very difficult (or sometimes impossible) to climb onto the bike without using a raised platform - everyone keeps telling me to carry a small stool along.

The Z is scheduled for its first service on the weekend - I was hoping the 1000 kms to come before the month end - but sigh! Anyways, here are some more pics of Godzilla.

Busy weekends - Washing and Shampooing the bike
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800250501.jpg

Morning breakfast at an Irani restaurant in town
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800250503.jpg

Late evening snacks joint in the suburbs
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800250502.jpg

There are times when you are the last one when the lights turn green
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800250504.jpg

and there are times when you are the first one off the lights
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800250505.jpg

Many have told me that the helmet does not match the bike - and I agree with them. But it doesnt look that bad, does it?
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-z800250506.jpg

All modern alloys wheels will have a hole because they are hollow in construction and that hole is due to the core of the casting. This is a requirement to make the hub hollow, so the holes are perfectly normal but that blob of metal is not normal. Looks very strange.