Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 06:40   #76
BHPian

re: Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Attachment 1374897

Its been 25 days and Godzilla has travelled around 500 kms. Most of the travelling has been office to work - a total of 16 kms to and fro. Weekend rides included one Panvel and one town breakfast ride. The rest of the k's were covered within my area itself. Its really a pain (and a stress too) to ride the Z (or for that matter any 2 wheeler) during the day. No matter how cool you may look on a superbike, you wont feel any of it while riding during the day - The hot sun above you and the hot engine below you sre enough to take away all the coolness.
Hey v12. Lets meet somewhere between Pune-Mumbai before it starts to rain.
BTW any update on the wheel? Have you reported to the service guys? I checked the insides of my wheel and didnt notice anything odd like that lump of metal.
Old 26th May 2015, 11:06   #77
BHPian

That's a casting defect, that blob that you see is a macro porosity cluster. A type of shrinkage defect. Its a type of defect can be formed due to incorrect tolerances in the lpdc (low pressure die casting) .

Since its on the hub section , this porosity was formed cos directional solidification was lost resulting in liquid being encapsulated by solid.

The issue is that this defect (macro porosity) affects severely the loadbearing, impact and fatigue performace characteristics of that rim.

Name:  001.png
Views: 2189
Size:  23.3 KB

Please get it checked out by someone who knows about manufacturing processes and defects, as it could also be just a cosmetic defect. Even if it is just a cosmetic defect, some noise has to be made

Kind regards,

BOV

Edit - Congrats on your z800, she's an absolute killer.

Last edited by B O V : 26th May 2015 at 11:08.
B O V is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
this defect (macro porosity) affects severely the loadbearing, impact and fatigue performace characteristics of that rim.
I would got at least a couple of floors above the noises level after reading this.

Where was the QC on this bike?
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:18   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a casting defect, that blob that you see is a macro porosity cluster. A type of shrinkage defect. Its a type of defect can be formed due to incorrect tolerances in the lpdc (low pressure die casting) .

Since its on the hub section , this porosity was formed cos directional solidification was lost resulting in liquid being encapsulated by solid.

The issue is that this defect (macro porosity) affects severely the loadbearing, impact and fatigue performace characteristics of that rim.
Great information there B O V!

Now the real task would be to convince the morons at ASC about this!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 19:17   #80
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your support and advise guys. I havent showed it to the dealer yet due to lack of time - but have informed them about it. They have agreed to make a report and send it across to IKL. I will be showing it to them on the weekend when the 1st service is due. I agree that even though this maybe a cosmetic defect - it still is a defect and needs to be highlighted.

BOV - Thats exactly what it is - thanks for the detailed explanation.

TheCelestial - Yes probably Lonavala is the best place for Mumbai-Pune catchup - Kamats? I guess we need to start a new thread for Mumbai/Pune weekend rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezhian350 View Post
All modern alloys wheels will have a hole because they are hollow in construction and that hole is due to the core of the casting. This is a requirement to make the hub hollow, so the holes are perfectly normal but that blob of metal is not normal. Looks very strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
Hey v12. Lets meet somewhere between Pune-Mumbai before it starts to rain.
BTW any update on the wheel? Have you reported to the service guys? I checked the insides of my wheel and didnt notice anything odd like that lump of metal.
Quote:

Attachment 1374959

Please get it checked out by someone who knows about manufacturing processes and defects, as it could also be just a cosmetic defect. Even if it is just a cosmetic defect, some noise has to be made

Kind regards,

BOV

Edit - Congrats on your z800, she's an absolute killer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I would got at least a couple of floors above the noises level after reading this.

Where was the QC on this bike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Great information there B O V!

Now the real task would be to convince the morons at ASC about this!
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 19:34   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

TheCelestial - Yes probably Lonavala is the best place for Mumbai-Pune catchup - Kamats? I guess we need to start a new thread for Mumbai/Pune weekend rides
I will sync up with you about this on PM.
TheCelestial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 14:48   #82
Senior - BHPian

Hello Allen,
I am sorry for being late to congratulate you on Godzilla, but better late than never.
Love the bike, love the color. A friend of mine has a Z800 and I just love to ride that bike.

Among the crop of bike available in India, I would opt for the Z. So much so that I've already made plans to get one towards the end of this year.
I'm glad you remembered those days from early 2002 when we met, me and Sudodudo on our classic 180 and you on the Elimiator.

Let me get hold of my friends z800 and we'll plan to meet.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 22:32   #83
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi TheCelestial - Yes, we can decide on a weekend to catch up halfway. Am sure it will be an amazing meet!

Hiren - my first biker friend I cannot forget those days. Meeting up and chatting about bikes. Going to Central Garage to check for helmets and drooling at all the superbikes parked there. Those were the days. Let me know if you free on the weekend and we could catchup.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend, my friend's 800 slipped from side stand fell down in the apartment parking lot and the crank case was fractured.

Now it's awaiting replacement part from Kawasaki and currently the crack is sealed with M-Seal! I guess the engine guards are a must have accessory!
Old 28th May 2015, 11:52   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Last weekend, my friend's 800 slipped from side stand fell down in the apartment parking lot and the crank case was fractured.

Now it's awaiting replacement part from Kawasaki and currently the crack is sealed with M-Seal! I guess the engine guards are a must have accessory!
Did he not have frame sliders installed? They will prevent a direct impact on the case but always good to have Engine guards to fully protect the engine casings.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:22   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did he not have frame sliders installed?
Yes, he has these Rizoma ones.

https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstor...idproduct=1840
Old 28th May 2015, 12:29   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. These seemed have prioritized form over function. They dont seem to jut out enough. Was anything else damaged?
TheCelestial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 12:42   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These seemed have prioritized form over function. They dont seem to jut out enough. Was anything else damaged?
My thoughts precisely! Even I asked him the same when I saw these for the first time. Nothing else was damaged. Not even a scratch anywhere. My guess is after the crank case hit the floor the bike rested on these sliders.
Old 28th May 2015, 13:04   #89
BHPian

The case does jut out pretty far out. Not shocked that those little sliders hit the floor after the case. I use the PUIG R12s and they are jutting out big time. Almost have to be careful while cutting through traffic to not hit and damage another vehicle.

But since there is nothing to rest on the back, during a fall, I am not really sure if the lean from the slider till the back would make the case touch the ground or not. Not something I am looking forward to test out any time soon as well !
Old 28th May 2015, 14:13   #90
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess it's best to have the frames sliders and the engine guards installed. To prevent any damage to the bikes , I believe the frame sliders have to jut outside the handlebar as well, right? That's the only way it can prevent any damage to the bike. However it may be possible that if u drop the bike on a pavement the sliders may not protect the engine and the crankcase. Are the crankcase covers so weak that they can crack at a standstill fall?

Most Viewed