Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2016, 21:53   #211
BHPian

re: Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!

Congratulations on the bike! Exhaust looks sleek. How much did it cost you? Can you post a video of it screaming?
emperorofindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 09:25   #212
Senior - BHPian

The exhaust does look the part, its damn sleek and gels well with the Z800. Doesn't look out of place at all.

After the installation, the test rides were done. Rahul and Allen took turns to wring the throttle and the blissful music set everyone's heart racing.

The exhaust note is just perfect. Tuned to the T for Allen. Not too loud not too soft. Would blend well in day to day riding in traffic and would scream when taken out on open roads.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 02:37   #213
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the worst things to ever happen to any motorcycle. This plastic bag got stuck to the pipes last week. What's the best way to take it off completely without scratching the pipes. Tried kerosene and WD40 but it didn't come off.
Attached Thumbnails
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160214_153020.jpg  

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-img_20160214_153028.jpg  

Old 1st March 2016, 03:22   #214
Senior - BHPian

@v12,

Try if you find the easy off oven cleaner spray. Spray it, cool it down, run the engine and let it heat up and use like a wooden scale or something to scrape the plastic out. Or simply run the engine, heat it and try the wooden scale or a sharp chisel method. Good thing with Chisel is its tapered in such a way its really hard yet sharp enough to get that plastic layer out.

Be careful with inflammables and heat and use utmost caution when using any solvents over the pipes to avoid fire danger.After removal you can even try vibuthi(ash) to polish the surface and actually try vibhuti over when cold and rub it hard.

I would also not shy away from try coconut oil over the plastic, let it soak and basically use some forced rubbing. It has worked on tar so i would try any household items for the same. May be even sand paper localized over the plastic itself. Very careful to not scratch the pipe. (Scoth brite may be)

Last edited by VW2010 : 1st March 2016 at 03:24.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 11:16   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@v12,

Try if you find the easy off oven cleaner spray. Spray it, cool it down, run the engine and let it heat up and use like a wooden scale or something to scrape the plastic out. Or simply run the engine, heat it and try the wooden scale or a sharp chisel method. Good thing with Chisel is its tapered in such a way its really hard yet sharp enough to get that plastic layer out.

Be careful with inflammables and heat and use utmost caution when using any solvents over the pipes to avoid fire danger.After removal you can even try vibuthi(ash) to polish the surface and actually try vibhuti over when cold and rub it hard.

I would also not shy away from try coconut oil over the plastic, let it soak and basically use some forced rubbing. It has worked on tar so i would try any household items for the same. May be even sand paper localized over the plastic itself. Very careful to not scratch the pipe. (Scoth brite may be)
Any sort of rubbing will invariably leave its mark. I had the similar fortune/misfortune of a BLACK un-recyclable plastic cover come from nowhere and get stuck to my hot header pipe on my iron. and I tried the boot mark remover solution from HD to take it off to a large extent.

Used a soft bathroom towel, started the bike, let the pipe turn hot, hot! - and pour some of that liquid on to the wet patch on the towel - and dab it at first, and then with some more force gradually - this is a painful effort -- chance of getting your fingers scaled are high -- but with some patience you should be able to get rid of it -- most of it -- if not all.

All the best!!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 20:52   #216
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks VW2010 and Shubz for the advice! Will try it out on the weekend and see how much of it comes off.

I did use Scotch Brite along with WD40 and kerosene to remove most of it - but there is still a hard residue of plastic still left. Probably the pipes were cold so it didn't come off. Will try it on a hot pipe and see if it comes out (can kerosene or WD40 be used on a hot pipe?)

I even contemplated using some kind of acid to melt the plastic - but then if the acid is strong, it may corrode the pipe - so decided against.
Old 1st March 2016, 21:07   #217
Senior - BHPian

I am not so sure about kerosene on hot pipe but you can use it with caution and precaution. Get some nice rubber gloves, some bucket of water and just be careful. Because you are using WD40, you can try those fine steel wool (000) used for polishing surfaces so it doesnt scratch. Also try nail polish remover. And another one i would try very softly is the double side blade which again if used right wont cause scratches.

Also thinking differently, why not an iron box and applying heat on the plastic and basically transferring it into the iron box which can be scraped off later
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:10   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
One of the worst things to ever happen to any motorcycle. This plastic bag got stuck to the pipes last week. What's the best way to take it off completely without scratching the pipes. Tried kerosene and WD40 but it didn't come off.
Did you try applying kerosene on the burnt plastic and letting it sit there for a while? This might loosen up the stubborn remains.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:32   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Did you try applying kerosene on the burnt plastic and letting it sit there for a while? This might loosen up the stubborn remains.
Kerosene is probably a bad idea on hot pipes.

I have heard that wiping it off with a cloth when the pipes are hot will take it off. Hopefully you haven't run too much after this for the plastic to burn away and carbon remains behind.

The risk is high, since you are close to the pipes - but wiping it away with a dry towel seems to be the most workable solution.
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:57   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Kerosene is probably a bad idea on hot pipes.
Apologies. I TOTALLY meant cold pipes! Should have mentioned it too.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:55   #221
Team-BHP Support

Use paint thinner, that should melt the plastic and get it off. Ensure you keep it off painted parts and wipe it clean once done and give a shampoo wash to remove any residue.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 23:00   #222
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys - so I think I am going to have a very busy weekend trying out all the options at hand. Will let you know the outcome of the same.
  • Hot Pipe - scraping with a wooden scale or a sharp object
  • Hot Pipe - coconut oil with some forced rubbing (with sand paper)
  • Hot Pipe - Using Boot Mark remover solution and forced rubbing with a soft cloth / towel
  • Nail Polish remover
  • Double Sided Blade
  • Ironing the plastic part
  • Paint Thinner
Old 3rd March 2016, 09:26   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

V12, Let me add another twist to the story and make you even busier this weekend

Try dapping little petrol on a soft cloth and rub it on "Cold Pipes" and I'm sure it will get that sticky plastic substance off your pipes

Z800 is a beautiful machine (totally love the exhaust note) and nice to see you so deeply concerned when something happens to it
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:34   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks guys - so I think I am going to have a very busy weekend trying out all the options at hand. Will let you know the outcome of the same.
Hi there.

Have had the same thing happen to friend's ride.

Chances are, the heat from the exhaust has melted the plastic to a hard gook that would not easily be removed by solvents.

Your best bet might be to scrape with a sliding blade, and maybe finishing with steel wool.

You can remove the scratches by using Brasso or Collonite Metal Wax. There will be some discoloration, but a few hot rides and it will even out.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:09   #225
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Avi and Gthang!

Yes the plastic residue has actually hardened already and looks real real ugly. I tried scraping off today with a soft cloth on cold pipes - but nothing happened. Will try it on a warm / hot pipe on the weekend. Looking at it , I think I will have to go with the blade option andbusebit very carefully so as not to scratch the pipe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks