Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2015, 17:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Ride - Ducati Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That is a serious "O teri ...!"
Yes Chief, and there is another roadster from the BMW which is also a good performer with the looks to match.

http://www.motorrad-navnitmotors.in/..._overview.html

Believe the beemer costs upwards of 15 Lakhs ex Showroom.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 17:36   #17
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Yes Chief, and there is another roadster from the BMW which is also a good performer with the looks to match.

http://www.motorrad-navnitmotors.in/..._overview.html

Believe the beemer costs upwards of 15 Lakhs ex Showroom.
Oh the R9T !!

Absolutely love the retro looks ! This was priced at 26 Lakhs OTR Mumbai when I chanced upon to see the bike at the BMW Motorrad store in Mumbai over a year back. With the rising prices of these motorcycles, I assume the R9T should be around 30 odd lakhs now, or maybe more.
Old 6th May 2015, 17:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I assume the R9T should be around 30 odd lakhs now, or maybe more.
Wow are you sure it was priced at 26 Lakhs? At that price the BMW 1200 GS Adventure makes it look a much much better proposition.

Have posted an inquiry and will revert on the latest prices.
Old 6th May 2015, 19:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

The R9T is a more 'fun' bike than the Scrambler. Obviously it is a road bike and not a 'scrambler' that is capable of trails, but for about AED15k more you get a beautifully crafted motorcycle that you will feel like swinging a leg over for a ride at any time.

Test drive the R9T - you'll forget the Scrambler before you're into the 4th gear.
Old 6th May 2015, 19:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Test drive the R9T - you'll forget the Scrambler before you're into the 4th gear.
How I wish I could, with that kinda money spent on it do not think it will be the best Bang per Buck. Scrambler has its own charm being a light and nimble machine whereas the R9T is a monster and quite a heavy machine.

PS: Appears that Ducati have begun importing the Scramblers into India. The first consignment of 42 machines have already landed and are in their New Delhi Warehouse. They are of Thailand Make

Last edited by ku69rd : 6th May 2015 at 19:41.
Old 6th May 2015, 21:01   #21
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow are you sure it was priced at 26 Lakhs? At that price the BMW 1200 GS Adventure makes it look a much much better proposition.

Have posted an inquiry and will revert on the latest prices.
Yes sir, here's a link to my post in the Superbikes spotted in India thread dated July 2014: BMW R9T

For the price, the Scrambler definitely is a fun motorcycle. Waiting to see one in flesh once it arrives in the Mumbai showroom.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 22:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful bike. Most firang reviews praise the motorcycle but do not agree with the way Ducati have positioned the bike at least in the markets abroad, which is more of a "yuppie" play thing than a serious motorcycle

Again, if those reviews are to be believed; the bike is very capable on road and takes some mild off roading with aplomb too

But it lacks a few practical bits. No space for luggage or a pillion. And as awesome as those Pirellis are; they do wear out fast .... real fast. Much quicker than the Metz. On the Ducati, it will not last more than 5000 kms if its ridden the way its supposed to be ridden and I am being generous here. I think it would easily cost 25k to replace a set

The monster 795 I think should be similarly priced and would be a more practical as well as fun option IMO
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 22:55   #23
BHPian

Would really like a owners review of a 899 @ this time.
Old 6th May 2015, 23:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

But it lacks a few practical bits. No space for luggage or a pillion. And as awesome as those Pirellis are; they do wear out fast .... real fast.

The monster 795 I think should be similarly priced and would be a more practical as well as fun option IMO
Finally some views here with which I agree mostly. The cheesiest ad campaign ever for a product which actually appeals to a totally different segment of riders.

I don't think words like 'practical', 'low maintenance' 'low cost' and Ducati should ever be used together in one sentence . But jokes aside, it's a Scrambler/Enduro not a tourer so no points deducted for it's luggage hauling capabilities. Trying to squeeze in a pillion on such bikes IMO is a very Indian sentiment and nothing much different can be done about it on any comparable option.

I'm of the personal view that pillion riding goes against the very fundamental essence of riding a bare bones naked bike like the Scrambler. All that weight reduction with fancy $$$ Aluminium and Carbon fibre trims for nothing! It's weirdly similar to ordering a diet Coke with a double cheese Whopper with large fries.

FWIW, I personally believe the Scrambler hits the holy trinity of riding in Indian conditions perfectly amongst the available Ducati options and it should be a great success -
Terrain: dicey roads with wild unpredictable traffic (plus 3 wheelers driven by village idiots, stray animals, push carts, buffalo & horse carts etc etc)
Rider: a much lowered entry barrier of skills & experience required
Machine: reasonably sufficient power, handling & headroom to tackle any real life situational demands

But, as rightly pointed out by you, I feel anyone who doesn't know or is unsure why they should consider a Scrambler should most definitely choose the Monster or other sportier options instead - they will be a lot happier. BTW, 795 is discontinued and currently there are interest free options running on existing stocks.
outofthebox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 01:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How I wish I could, with that kinda money spent on it do not think it will be the best Bang per Buck. Scrambler has its own charm being a light and nimble machine whereas the R9T is a monster and quite a heavy machine.
192kg v/s 222kg. More than the actual weight is what you feel - you do not feel the weight on an RNineT, as it feels as nimble as my 176kg SuperDuke. The Ducati on the other hand does let you know its 10-15kg weight increase. I know this is subjective and more of a 'feel' factor, but the fact is that it does feel much better to ride. Then there is the small matter of a liquid-cooled 1290 motor v/s an air-cooled 800.

As for the difference in price, that will even out in maintenance costs and depreciation. I'd rather have a dependable German machine than a flamboyant Italian that is also temperamental. Ducati takes a big hit in the used market, the BMW holds value much better - and for good reason, I might add.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th May 2015 at 01:37.
Old 7th May 2015, 11:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
As for the difference in price, that will even out in maintenance costs and depreciation. .
Mate,

Would rather take the 176 Dry Weight into consideration, throw in the engine oil and petrol should not be seeing it exceed 192 kilos which will obviously diminish with riding.

BMW costs a whooping 26 Lakhs with which you can buy 3 Scramblers. Whilst paying such a heavy premium it better be a dependable bike, but one thing for sure they lack character.

Least of all, Scrambler is much more fun to ride when compared to the BMW R9T. The joy is much better than buying a bullet proof bike which does every job rather boringly and without charisma. (from my experience of owning a bullet proof jap inliner called FZ-1).
Old 7th May 2015, 12:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

So Mahesh, I see the Scrambler happening?!

Or is some part still waiting to try the equally hugely practical Benelli 600i ? I've been spotting them off and on in Pune, and even ambling along at 30 kmph on MG Road, they sound mean.

I know a lot of old school Bullet boys are checking out the GT. Especially "big boys" like my friend below (multiple Dan black belt ....)

First Ride - Ducati Scrambler-img20150506wa0006.jpg
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 12:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
So Mahesh, I see the Scrambler happening?!
Doc,

Will wait for the Versys 650 to be launched before I make up my mind on the bike.

Regarding old bullet guys heading to Benelli 600 GTS, yes its the same trend here in Bangalore as well. Its a practical buy no doubting on that front.

Will PM you the rest.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 12:43   #29
BHPian

I think the scrambler is a very exciting machine at a very good price.
But, to call it practical is not something I can entirely digest.
if it is practicality with respect to price and ability to satisfy the weekend warrior then yes it is so, that too with a lot of Ducati fun.
But for someone who plans to use it in the city too, it would be a royal pain with its power band higher up the curve. I mean, in our cities, where we do 20-50 kmph most of the times, this would not turn out to be too much fun, add to that its cooling abilities in the scorching summers.
I think the Bonnie turns out much more practical than this. Only if Triumph got their act together and got the scrambler home based on the Bonnie characteristics then it should hit the ball out of the park.

As a looker and a fun showerer, the Ducati looks like a hoot though !
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 16:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
But for someone who plans to use it in the city too, it would be a royal pain with its power band higher up the curve.
Mate,
Honestly this would not/should not be a problem to potter around in the city. You do not need power but Torque to pull it through traffic. If you look at its torque numbers, it makes a very healthy 68 NM @ 5750 with peak power @ 8250 RPM.

Ideally this should hit mid torque at around 3000 to 3500 RPM which means just a few notches above its idling speed. Too Bad am unable to get its torque graph to explain it better for you

Last edited by ku69rd : 7th May 2015 at 16:20. Reason: Punctuation Marks else I would be at risk :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks