Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 23:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: First Ride - Ducati Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Mine apparently has a scratch on the petrol tank top panel caused by a visitor to the showroom who sat on the bike and scratched it with their bag (or jacket, not too sure) while getting off it. Not seen the damage in person yet.

Hope to add my riding impressions here soon.
One can only imagine the excitement of being on the verge of getting a new bike and then having to hear this. My suggestion is take a look at the bike yourself and see if it is worth waiting a few months for a new one. A small scratch on a tank may or may not be noticeable at first glance. Keep an open mind and as tough as it might seem to be, make a balanced decision after seeing the 'damage'. At the end of the day, its your money and ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Look. You've made a decision to buy a product from them. I do agree that things were funny with Ducati's earlier expedition in India, but now I feel things are up for a drastic change.

What has happened in your case is completely unacceptable. I'd advise you to meet the manager/senior official and give him a piece of your mind. They should know fear. More than that, they should respect their customers. Arrogance was a major factor in Ducati's downfall in their previous term.

Your luck is all silky, mate. Relax. You'll have to deal with them eventually. Be it for service visits or anything for that matter, you'll have to return to them. The only way they'll serve you better and ensure that such nonsense isn't repeated again is IF they respect you and fear you.
Ducati had a very rough round one in India because of the unscrupulous importer, the famously infamous Mr AC. IIRC, he signed up to import the bikes and the other dealers in India had to get their bikes from him. At a particular point, his people used to directly contact potential / buyers with bookings and offer to sell bikes to them directly while bypassing the local dealers. Ducati buyers burnt their fingers. Ducati burnt their fingers. Exit stage left.

Assuming outofthebox's bike was kept in the showroom as a display model till it was to be handed over for delivery tomorrow, what heinous crime has the showroom committed in letting someone sit on it (and inadvertently scratch the bike in the process)? Its not like they were giving it out for test rides or anything. If the scratch is bad enough to not take it, so be it. The showroom will be sitting on an unsold bike (if its so bad that nobody else will buy it) or they might find another buyer who is willing to live with it. If they arent getting 8+ lacs tomorrow, it is their loss as well. Yes, outofthebox might have his Ducati dreams on hold but at least he will be happy with his purchase if the damage is noticeable enough to warrant a new bike.

Why do they need to "know fear"? What purpose will that serve when he has to go back to them for every service (assuming only 1 authorized service centre in the city)? Why start off his Ducati experience on a bitter unsavoury note? Firmly conveying disappointment and frustration of a delayed delivery is one thing. Trying to instill fear and demand respect is another. In many ways, respect is like a bournville, one has to earn it
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 11:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Afterall, they are machines. But some are easier than others to adjust to in certain situations.

The Triumph though, has around 10 (from the graph) points advantage lower down (till around 4000 rpm) so that will help in slow city crawling because that is where most of the times the bike will stay in the traffic. Also, I have no idea about the gear ratios of the 2. To me, a long gearing in the lower cogs means more effort in slow movement (Striple).
I agree essentially that some bikes are easier to ride in traffic than others. Not so much because of torque (lets face it - ALL the bikes we are talking about have 4 to 5 times more torque than any city 150 cc commuter that lives on city streets) but because of their high strung nature.

That said, none of these bikes are sold (or bought) as traffic crawlers. So I personally put that part of the equation very very low down (if at all) in my list of boxes to be ticked when buying a high powered performance machine.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the bike. If you plan to commute with it, then depending on your route, this would take on added significance. I'll definitely agree on that. Snatchy bike at low rpm, leg roasting heat, and a lot of clutch slipping action, especially on a clutch that needs Arnie forearms, can make a commute pretty taxing.

All of these simply fade into the distance (like other cars and bikes), when the roads open up.

@outofthebox , I would do the same thing I did when I went to the Bajaj company outlet to pick up my first lot silky red Bajaj Pulsar 180 in 2002 and found a scratch on the exhaust end can.

1) Tell them to replace the damaged part and give me the bike now (or give it to me in writing that it would be replace when part is received)

OR

2) Insist on a new bike.

The Pulsar was 180 was some 60-70K then. But the money is not the point. The point is you are paying for a brand new bike. Full value, no discount. Don't accept any less.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th May 2015 at 11:26.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 11:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Not seen the damage in person yet.
Go ahead and pick up the bike if the blemish is not too obvious. But take delivery only if the showroom guys commit on paper that they will replace the tank once they have in stock without you claiming any insurance.

If its too minor without being detected by naked eye, ask for hefty discount

Looking forward for your review & photos.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 12:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I agree essentially that some bikes are easier to ride in traffic than others. Not so much because of torque (lets face it - ALL the bikes we are talking about have 4 to 5 times more torque than any city 150 cc commuter that lives on city streets) but because of their high strung nature.

That said, none of these bikes are sold (or bought) as traffic crawlers. So I personally put that part of the equation very very low down (if at all) in my list of boxes to be ticked when buying a high powered performance machine.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the bike. If you plan to commute with it, then depending on your route, this would take on added significance. I'll definitely agree on that. Snatchy bike at low rpm, leg roasting heat, and a lot of clutch slipping action, especially on a clutch that needs Arnie forearms, can make a commute pretty taxing.

All of these simply fade into the distance (like other cars and bikes), when the roads open up.
Spot on there Sir

I was just putting what I thought as I have been using mine to commute to office in bangalore traffic everyday

But I have been surprised at the ease of use, thanks to the torque lower down and the smoothness. I dont have to continuously slip the clutch as well, thanks to the gearing too. In fact, I feel more comfy in my Z than my R15 to commute now. Better stability and grip, bigger field of view, more comfortable seating, easier overtakes, miles better lights and brakes (not that I should compare), effortless over-taking and lesser gear changes. I was a bit skeptical about commuting in the crawling stop go traffic we have here but no more.

And the open roads are always so nirvana invoking !
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 20:49   #50
BHPian

Update on my Scrambler situation: it turned out to be not a case of a 'paint scratch on tank by a visitor' but that of a rotten organisational culture. They have sold my Red Icon out of turn to someone else, I'm presuming a 'VIP customer' and their entire team, one person after other kept making really creative excuses to convince me to wait till the next batch of Red arrives.

I sensed something was amiss because my request to view the bike before I decide the next steps was a simple one and I could not figure out why they were trying to wriggle out of it. So in the afternoon I landed up at the showroom and demanded that I be allowed to see the 'damage', 'lack of proper documentation', 'technical issues', 'n number of other problems with it' (all the bull I was fed today) before I decide on next steps. Was made to wait for three hours till the Sales staff called back & forth. After the fourth 'iterative' call a senior manager finally admitted the real reason and asked if it would be okay for me to accept a written apology from him and wait for the next batch of Red.

As things stand now, I have asked them to do any one of the following per their convenience:
a) Deliver my original Red Icon by tomorrow to me
or
b)Deliver me a Yellow Icon by tomorrow and foot the bill for additional charges for the Yellow version plus cost of all three parts required to make it red again.

Failing which, I'm going to cancel my order tomorrow itself and never bother with Ducati India ever again!
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 20:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Failing which, I'm going to cancel my order tomorrow itself and never bother with Ducati India ever again!
Wow !!! And we thought they learnt their lesson !

Your 1st step is perfect IMO. But I would not have a part replaced one because they can never do a job like a factory fitted one. Also, the documentation becomes complex and valuation of the bike reduces immediately.

I would also suggest you to write to Ducati international and let them know about the mishap or, rather, the incident !
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 21:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
But I would not have a part replaced one because they can never do a job like a factory fitted one. Also, the documentation becomes complex and valuation of the bike reduces immediately.
Replacing these parts is not an issue on the Scrambler. It's been designed in a modular fashion so that many parts are interchangeable and removable either at a service centre or even at home. They even have a complete online catalogue for it already. I saw the Indian price list for all parts while I was killing time at the showroom today.

I don't think Ducati International can do anything to help with this issue. This is a local organisational culture problem and it needs to be fixed by the Indian management of Ducati, there's nothing the HQ can do about it.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 21:12   #53
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Sojogator! Insist on the first option. You can never be sure of the quality of the paint job done. It will not have the factory finish. If your choice is red, and red only - insist on delivery at the earliest or take a refund. If you have to wait for the next batch - make sure they compensate you with some accessories (of your choice).

EDIT : If it is replacing the yellow parts with the red parts - that sounds like a good idea. But make sure they dont repaint the yellow parts and fit it back. Ensure that you get to see the red parts before they are fitted onto your bike.

Last edited by v12 : 8th May 2015 at 21:17.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 21:15   #54
BHPian

V12 there is no paint job required. It's a simple swap of a new front mudguard, a new petrol tank and a new tail light assembly in Red colour.
Old 8th May 2015, 21:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Update on my Scrambler situation
I'm appalled after reading through your post. Such a reputed and legendary brand, going down the same way again. What logical explanation can one provide for this? History repeating itself?

Nevertheless, I can understand your situation right now and all I can advise you to do is to bring this to the notice of Ducati India. A 'written apology' is irrelevant at this point of time. I feel at loss here to suggest any of the two options you've provided, but I do feel that the first one does make a bit of sense right now. Any other alternative options you've thought of?
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 21:28   #56
BHPian

really irritating and sad @ the same time to hear :(
pratap.pratu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 21:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Any other alternative options you've thought of?
I would be wrong if I said I don't care about the Scrambler and Ducati in general. I would still remain a fan. (throat is a bit lumpy as I type these words)

I had pretty much decided on the Ducati Scrambler last year itself and was making plans to import a single unit from Singapore till I heard this year that Ducati was re-entering India. I was the first to pay a down payment in India for it without even bothering about a test ride, much before the official bookings even began.

Over the last few months, I've also ordered accessories worth quiet a bit, including Ducati shoes, a retro Ugly Bros jacket, a matching Arai helmet, Rizoma handle bar, throttle bars, CNC adjustable clutch & brake levers, RVMs and LED trafficators for it. Had also lined up a Scottoiler for it from Bangalore.

But it's a matter of principle for me, I don't let anyone get by with treating me so shabbily. So it's mostly goodbye Ducati India for me if one of my options is not accepted by them.

I guess some of the stuff I ordered can go onto my Bullet CL500 and I will move on to considering the Triumph Bonneville, my second choice. If not the sporty performance, at least it looks like a million bucks.
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 21:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be wrong if I said I don't care about the Scrambler and Ducati in general.
Mate,
Don't let an incident spoil your experience with the Scrambler. Yes what the dealer was entirely unprofessional & uncalled for.
If you are sold on the bike then suggest you to rethink and pick up the yellow without paying anything extra.

But yes this does not make any good reading to be honest.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 22:07   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I guess some of the stuff I ordered can go onto my Bullet CL500 and I will move on to considering the Triumph Bonneville, my second choice. If not the sporty performance, at least it looks like a million bucks.
Absolutely not, mate. Your heart is set on something, break all barriers to get it. You've waited a long time for this. Don't let all that patience go into vain.

Speak to those dolts again tomorrow and send them scrambling if they portray any creativity again. Get yourself your best option among the two right now.

Do me a favour, though. The moment you see the bike which has been allotted to you, forget all this happened. Do a patient PDI, take the keys, fire her up and wreak havoc on the streets.

Looking forward to the pictures and a detailed review of the Italian. (and maybe a share of the cake too. )
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 22:42   #60
BHPian

@ku69rd, barcalad, the way I look at it now is that I've got to make them feel the pinch, however small it might be. Maybe it will help by they making positive changes and the next customer in a similar situation will get a better treatment, maybe not, at least I've would've done the right thing.

Even if it means that I move on to the next brand available to me. I'm not that hung up on just the Icon or Ducati India. That's the price one has to pay sometimes for being an early bird and a brand enthusiast.

I ride because my it's been one of my few passions for decades, I'm a weekend warrior, just like many of us here. I don't want a bike which would remind me every time I fire it up that it's dealer took me for a joy ride and I wimped out and did nothing to correct the situation.

Yes, cakes (and beer) is on next time I'm in Bangalore or you folks are up North for sure! I'm now going to brush the one week old dust off my CL500 (and my mind) and prepare for an early morning ride

Most Viewed