Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2006, 11:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
..and when the tsunami struck on Dec 26, 2004, the same superstar donated PEANUTS....
http://in.rediff.com/cricket/2005/jan/03ashu.htm

Compare that to Leander Paes' contribution of Rs. 1.8 Crore, and you will get the complete picture.
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2005/jan/02paes.htm

Totally OT. merci, mods.
Common, thats their prerogative. Perhaps some could have donated without the knowledge of the media or could be funding some lesser known causes in their home town/states.
Old 30th August 2006, 18:34   #17
BHPian

Agreed. He might not want to put his money into some common fund, but Im sure he would have helped out in his own way.

I don't see any reason why he would be so cheap.
Old 30th August 2006, 19:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikantans04
I don't see any reason why he would be so cheap.
If trying to make the Govt. (actually it is our tax money) pay the import duty on his car (when he can very well afford it) is not cheap, I am not sure what else would qualify.
Old 30th August 2006, 21:30   #19
BHPian

Well are we not forgetting Sachin and his Ferrari here ...
Old 1st September 2006, 14:59   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
BTW....is that 17lakhs really true, or is it just hype created by the media?

And which is the fastest bike in the world? The ZX-14R rite?
well buddy the fastest street legal bike in planet earth is not busa or 14R... but its still Y2K.... according to MTT it clocked 227mph @ 185k USD

http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp
Old 1st September 2006, 17:25   #21
BHPian

jango: we are talking about his ferrari here.
supremebaleno: If he doesn't pay the tax for it, its cause it is waived. I dont think the customs tax authorities were compensated for it by transferring Inc. Tax money to customs tax guys.

Agreed he ahs the money to pay ti off but 2 Cr. as tax is still hefty and he has the right to 'ask' for a waiver. Dont forget he got it as a gift so he is -in a way- compelled to bring it into the country, so is it so unfair (or cheap) of him to 'ask' for a waiver??
Hardly.

The fact that he was given a waiver should be under question, if anything.
Old 1st September 2006, 18:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
supremebaleno: If he doesn't pay the tax for it, its cause it is waived. I dont think the customs tax authorities were compensated for it by transferring Inc. Tax money to customs tax guys.
What are you talking ? Customs tax authorities ? Transferring money ?? Cant make head or tail of it. And nothing was waived. He asked for a waiver.

BTW, do you know what all is stuck at customs due to not paying duty. An example is a piano gifted by someone in the West for a school in India catering to kids from economically-challenged sections. But our customs guys have not released it as they want the school to pay the duty on it, which they cannot afford. So the piano lies there, useless.
But a stinking rich guy, raking in crores, needs a waiver for a luxury product that he got as a gift in the 1st place. Give me a break, man. It is good to like a sport and even adore a person who plays that sport well. But adoring a person to such an extent as to pardon his fallings off the field is not really a nice idea.

Quote:
Agreed he ahs the money to pay ti off but 2 Cr. as tax is still hefty and he has the right to 'ask' for a waiver. Dont forget he got it as a gift so he is -in a way- compelled to bring it into the country, so is it so unfair (or cheap) of him to 'ask' for a waiver?? Hardly.
If he finds the customs too high, he can opt out of bringing the car in. That is what me and you would do - not ask the Govt to fund it. He has the right ??? On what basis ? Compelled to bring it in ? No one in India is forcing him to bring it here. He can return the gift back or sell it there and pay tax for the proceeds, like all of us would have to do.
Old 1st September 2006, 19:01   #23
BANNED

Aren't we all going waaay off topic here?

So what does a properly imported Kwacker 14R cost in India anyways?
Old 1st September 2006, 19:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Boom Shiva, you happen to have a point. Sorry for digressing.
Old 2nd September 2006, 00:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
BTW....is that 17lakhs really true, or is it just hype created by the media?

And which is the fastest bike in the world? The ZX-14R rite?
yup this is right!! the speed quoted till now is faster than the busa's!!
and for the aerodynamics both the bikes have a dragster look(busa and 14 r)....
Old 4th September 2006, 09:44   #26
BHPian

Boom_Shiva: Point noted.
Supreme Baleno : Agreer with you on the Piano case. I remember reading that in the Newspaper during the time Sachin brought in hid Fer.
Would like to take this forward but somethings are better in person.
Someday i guess.
Old 4th September 2006, 10:41   #27
BANNED

Being the 'rabblerouser' that I am I try and stay away from posting on threads like this one but there's just so much I can control myself from doing.
IF MSD wants to spend 17 lacs on a bike... GOOD FOR HIM!!
I saw a picture of the guy in today's Times of India KILLING himself during practice..if he wants to spend his money on a bike or car and has the deciency NOT to ask for a duty waiver from the Government.. then I say WAY TO GO DHONI!!
As to the complete off topic discussion of how much XYZ star donates to whatever charity... where did that come into the picture here?
I think its completely DISGUSTING the way some of these so called hero's of cricket behave... thinking themselves to be Demigod's... and then getting out for single digit runs or even ducks most of the time....
Here you have a guy that is doing things the right way and people are completely and utterly shocked about the whole situation....
Where are our priorities????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks