Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 22:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Visited Silicon Honda today. They've got a display bike and a Test ride bike (both which werent registered as yet). Test rides will be given from Monday onwards. Started the bike and revved it a little. Loved the sound! Seemed much more throaty than all the vids of the stock exhaust I've seen on Youtube. Also oberved that the Ground clearance is slightly lower than expected. Anybody else observed this?

Only 5 bookings so far in Bangalore. Any idea whats the scene with other cities? I'm sure Delhi will have atleast 10. So net net, Honda will just be able to sell their 30 odd bikes which they have brought in CKD kits for. Is that what they originally intend to sell?

I'm willing to wager that if Honda reduce the price by 50k, they will sell 50% more volumes. Reduce price by 100k, and actual volumes should go up by 100%. OK I made the numbers up - but I'm sure many people agree with me.

Can someone infiltrate HMSI HQ and get their volume forecasts for the bike? If you are doing so, please also punch the guy/ girl who conceptualized Revfest. What a sham! Or maybe Honda are trolling us here :(
I had a word with Delhi dealer yesterday. All 30 bike have already been booked. In my opinion, 30 bookings in the first 5 days is not bad. I am sure the demand will eventually taper of but still a decent start.

Regards
Rachit
Old 10th August 2015, 10:59   #77
BHPian

Here's a ride video of the CBR650F by Vikas Rachamalla in Hyderabad. The bike sounds pretty nice when pushed, even though it may be silent to begin with. He has much more experience with big bikes than I have, but I can't agree with his opinion that the bike is well priced.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 14:35   #78
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A CBR650F is on display at Pashankar Honda, Pune. Test rides are available and the bike costs 8.04 lakhs OTR Pune, I am told.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150807_193012171_hdr.jpg  

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150807_193027355.jpg  

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150807_193040673_hdr.jpg  

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150807_193019206.jpg  

//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 16:55   #79
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Test rode the CBR650F yesterday, some points that I would like to highlight:

The test ride experience: Surprisingly bad

My friend had enquired about the CBR650F from Pashankar Honda, Pune last week so a SA gave him a call and asked him to come so that a test ride can be arranged.

Yesterday we walked into the showroom and asked for the concerned representative or anybody else who could help us with the test ride of the 650F. We waited for close to 40 mins before the concerned SA arrived to attend us. We were aghast at the behaviour of the showroom personnel, none of them bothered to ask us why we were there. Finally the SA arrived late and explained how he got stuck in a meeting and blah blah.

We conveniently placed our helmets on a table and took a quick walk-around of the motorcycle before riding it. We filled up the test ride form and returned back to the table only to find that our helmets were missing.

On asking the SA's around, we came to know that our helmets were being used for some other test ride as they were short of helmets.

I was aghast and needed an explanation but my friend calmed me down. We waited for those guys to return back so that we can take back the helmets and test ride the bike.

During the test ride, a showroom staff sat as a pillion and he was not wearing any protective gear not even a normal shoe and a helmet. He kept on arguing how comfortable he is and he never uses a helmet. Still upon much request from our end, he wore a spare helmet in disgust.

The motorcycle: Great

The CBR650F retails for 8.02 lakhs OTR Pune.

Things I liked about the 650F:

+ The 650F is a comfortable motorcycle. For my 6-foot plus frame, the riding position was spot on. The seat squab is good and is well cushioned. The pillion seat also seemed to be comfy.

+ The butter smooth motor is a charm. The inline-4 smoothness felt sublime over the short test ride route.

+ The power delivery is great, neither too sharp as a Daytona 675 nor too linear like a Benelli 600GT. It is somewhat optimum for our conditions and it does take a quick leap with a little twist to the wrist.

+ The handling is predictable and confidence inspiring. I am not sure how good it will be to do knee-scrapping over the twisties but in urban conditions, it felt forgiving.

Things I did not like:

- The exhaust note is pretty much muted, no superbike roar from the pipes. I was expecting it to get vocal beyond 5K rpm, but it didn't impress me at all.

- The engine heats up quickly. I was stuck at a red light for about 2-3 mins and by the time I was negotiating traffic, I had my thighs and calves boiling. I somehow felt the right side heated up much faster than the left side.

- Road presence is almost nil. One has to whoosh past the traffic in style to get noticed. Looks very similar to the smaller siblings. Just my opinion though, looks can be subjective.

After the test ride, I asked my friend how he felt about the bike. All he said was even though the 650F is fairly a great motorcycle, the showroom experience has almost killed the deal. He will be finalizing the deal in a week or so but for now he is inclining towards the Z800.

Last edited by //M : 12th August 2015 at 16:57.
//M is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 18:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Test rode the CBR650F yesterday, some points that I would like to highlight:

[..]

On asking the SA's around, we came to know that our helmets were being used for some other test ride as they were short of helmets.
That was uber funny - This has never happened to me

I am not at all shocked by Honda Personnel behavior. They actually switched off the light when I was signing a cheque for booking a CBR250R (when it was launched) since it was in the evening (around 7:00 pm) since it was closing time.

I was hoping their behavior has changed over the years, and sad it has not.

I am planning to check out 650 in person, and I'll carry my helmet with me
Old 12th August 2015, 22:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

...our helmets were missing.

During the test ride, a showroom staff sat as a pillion and he was not wearing any protective gear not even a normal shoe and a helmet. He kept on arguing how comfortable he is and he never uses a helmet. Still upon much request from our end, he wore a spare helmet in disgust.
Current example used by Google to define audacity:

Audacity : Rude or disrespectful behaviour; impudence.

"she had the audacity to suggest I'd been carrying on with him"

Your experience above is a much better / apt example of what audacity truly is. Google must consider replacing the current description with what you have penned down

I would have totally LOST IT, if someone had laid a finger on my helmet. HOW DARE THEY. Imagine the (SEVERE lack of) professionalism at work here. People arrive at the showroom demanding a test ride.... WITHOUT EVEN A DAMNED HELMET. The showroom staff instead of turning them away is offering them rides and using someone else's helmet; without as much as informing the lid's owner

On top of this, the showroom guys actually had the (again) AUDACITY to hop on the motorcycle with you AND keep mouthing off utter stupidity, instead of offering you at the very least a solo ride to (sort of) make up for the guffaw

Well done Honda! You have certainly invested in the right people .... Those that are carrying on your audacious attitude reflected in the pricing of the product; right down to the shop floor!!!

It'll be a cold day in hell before you see my money

KTM - I love you!!!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 12th August 2015 at 22:56.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 00:12   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Current example used by Google to define audacity:

Audacity : Rude or disrespectful behaviour; impudence.

"she had the audacity to suggest I'd been carrying on with him"

Your experience above is a much better / apt example of what audacity truly is. Google must consider replacing the current description with what you have penned down

I would have totally LOST IT, if someone had laid a finger on my helmet. HOW DARE THEY. Imagine the (SEVERE lack of) professionalism at work here. People arrive at the showroom demanding a test ride.... WITHOUT EVEN A DAMNED HELMET. The showroom staff instead of turning them away is offering them rides and using someone else's helmet; without as much as informing the lid's owner

On top of this, the showroom guys actually had the (again) AUDACITY to hop on the motorcycle with you AND keep mouthing off utter stupidity, instead of offering you at the very least a solo ride to (sort of) make up for the guffaw

Well done Honda! You have certainly invested in the right people .... Those that are carrying on your audacious attitude reflected in the pricing of the product; right down to the shop floor!!!

It'll be a cold day in hell before you see my money

KTM - I love you!!!
Nicely put! Well I can imagine getting this warm welcome while shopping for an Activa ... well on second thoughts, I can't. Honda two wheeler dealerships (I know only of bangalore) are a cut above the rest. It's like Indian cricket team in Australia.
Old 13th August 2015, 00:29   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine heats up quickly. I was stuck at a red light for about 2-3 mins and by the time I was negotiating traffic, I had my thighs and calves boiling. I somehow felt the right side heated up much faster than the left side.

The heat is expected. Its a 600cc segment bike and unfortunately they are not giving the full fairing here. My Fz6r heats up heavily for the same reason being that 600cc segment but the fairing plays a huge role to take it away from me most of the time.

The temperatures raise up quickly to over 250 deg F in traffic but goes back to 200 quickly after the radiator and fan kicks in.

I hope there is after market fairings or even in showroom option to cover the engine portion to direct the heat flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-19613620048_874e84f1e6_o.jpg  

VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 01:34   #84
BHPian

Well now that a few people have test ridden the bike, I think I can let my secret out. So I test rode the bike the very next day it got launched. The reason I didn't share it was that the bike was not yet insured and the dealer was skeptical in giving a test ride. But he went out of the way for me to give me a test ride.

Rather it was the exact same bike that Akshay rode on the stage during the launch. So I had the pleasure of parking my bum, where Akshay's bum was 24 hrs ago.

So since the Delhi dealership is in Naraina and people familiar with Naraina would know its a crowded place so most of my test ride was in traffic. Plus he was with me as a pillion.
Few things that I felt:
1) The bike is super smooth.
2) Very manageable in terms of riding position, clutch action and throttle response.
3) It felt punchy, but the power felt linear. Nothing abrupt.
4) I didn't feel it getting heated up that much in traffic.
5) Definitely not as punchier as the Z800.
6) In Traffic it behaved like a normal bike. Nice, easy and light on its feet. Didn't feel like a big bulky bike.
7) Its very quite especially during low revs
8) Feels exactly like a Honda should.

On the way back, he asked me to be the pillion and he rode the bike. The pillion seat is almost at a similar angle as Karizma. The only difference was this bike is a lot more punchier so one has to hold tighter.
So he gave the bike some beans and it felt to have enough power. Good for a couple of years of learning curve. He was able to move swiftly through traffic at a very good pace and bike overall felt smooth and comfortable.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 11:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are a forgiving mild mannered giant Arunabh. There would have been some serious mad bawa mayhem were they dare to do the same with my helmet. Sorry man. I do not want someone else's smell following me around on the bike one inch from my nose. A Mumbai local would be a more pleasant olfactory experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My Fz6r heats up heavily for the same reason being that 600cc segment but the fairing plays a huge role to take it away from me most of the time.
Is that your bike? Looks neat and well maintained!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 11:44   #86
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You are a forgiving mild mannered giant Arunabh. There would have been some serious mad bawa mayhem were they dare to do the same with my helmet. Sorry man.
Absolutely Doc, the helmet incident left me aghast. The mild mannered giant in me was ready for some action but I realized my friend badly wanted to test ride the bike so he calmed me down before I could raise my voice.

Quote:
I do not want someone else's smell following me around on the bike one inch from my nose. A Mumbai local would be a more pleasant olfactory experience.
Dayyum !!
I was indeed disgusted after this incident. But the way you have put it makes me feel more miserable.

Last edited by //M : 13th August 2015 at 11:47.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 11:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Few things that I felt:
1) The bike is super smooth.
2) Very manageable in terms of riding position, clutch action and throttle response.
3) It felt punchy, but the power felt linear. Nothing abrupt.
4) I didn't feel it getting heated up that much in traffic.
5) Definitely not as punchier as the Z800.
6) In Traffic it behaved like a normal bike. Nice, easy and light on its feet. Didn't feel like a big bulky bike.
7) Its very quite especially during low revs
8) Feels exactly like a Honda should.

On the way back, he asked me to be the pillion and he rode the bike. The pillion seat is almost at a similar angle as Karizma.
With the description you just mentioned above felt like that of a Passion, hunk or some 150cc bike. In noway does it sound like you rode an 8+Lakh rupee bike.
Old 13th August 2015, 15:17   #88
BHPian

Found some time today to test ride this beauty and came home a satisfied man. The showroom experience was smooth and uneventful. Just gave them a call in the morning and was asked to come in. No delays at all once I reached. In 5 minutes, I was sitting on the bike - With a pillion of course. He was wearing a helmet.

Now, a few words on my opinion about the bike. I currently ride a CBR250R and have owned a Duke 390 in the past. Add some borrowed rides on the Ninja650.

Engine and Transmission

Being a Honda, it has to be refined and boy, does it live up to the name! Typically starts in a single crank and there are no vibrations felt at all across the rev range. The exhaust note, as said by many, is muted on idle and opens quite well post 6k RPM. But at city speeds and traffic, it is so smooth and muted that you won't notice the engine is on!

The transmission is smooth and slick. Shifting at lower RPMs in city traffic was no issue at all. The gearing is spot on! First and second are relatively short and the third is quite long. The third gear is perfect to potter around in the city and it can pick up from as low as 20kmph without engine lugging or clutch riding. The bottom-end torque and consequent in-city rideablity is surprisingly good.

The clutch is on the heavier side when I compare it with my 250R. However, compare it with the Benelli 600 or the Duke 390, it is light. In a nutshell, the clutch is not a hindrance to ride in bumper to bumper traffic and your hands won't hurt.

Braking, Suspension, Handling and Ride Quality

C-ABS comes standard on this bike and I was very impressed by the bite and feel of the front. The rear brake felt a little woody, but since I predominantly use the front, it does not matter to me. The ABS light glows after starting the bike and goes off once you cross 10kmph.

For a 230kg bike, it feels quite nimble. It did not feel heavy or tough to manoeuvre in traffic. However, while taking standing U-turns, the handle comes uncomfortably close to the tank, but it is not a deal breaker. The test ride stretch was a straight road, so I can't comment on the corner craving ability.

The suspension is on the softer side and the ride quality is plush on city roads. Gobbles up the undulations quite well and feels planted. I presume, this would mean it's not a bike you can throw into the corners, but it will be quick for street riding standards. Will be interesting to see how the Dunlop rubbers hold up.

Seating Position

The moment I sat on the bike, I felt at home. The posture is very similar to the 250R, but you bend a wee bit more. But it's absolutely comfortable. The seat is well cushioned and plush. The pillion seat looks soft, broad and comfortable too. The mechanic who sat behind me on the test ride never fell on my back and shoulder. The pillion grab rails are integrated into the fibre panel underneath. I can safely say, this is a comfortable two-up tourer.

Even though the seat height is about 810mm, it is well tapered at the sides to ensure shorter guys have no problem. At 5'7'', with my Woodland shoes, I had no issues to even push the bike back while seated.

Console and Switchgear

This is one thing I hated, both in the pictures and in flesh. The console looks horrendous in my opinion for a bike of this segment. It is impossible to give a quick peak at the tachometer as it is digital and is in the left most corner of the left console.

Also, they have omitted the coolant temperature display bar. This means, you will only see a light glow if/when the coolant temperature crosses the threshold and overheats.

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122550.jpg

The switchgear feels premium quality overall and also durable. The headlights are DRLs, which means you will not find a dedicated switch to switch the headlights off.

The LHS consists of high/low beam toggle, indicators, horn, hazards (all 4) and the RHS consists of EKS and starter.

However, they messed up with the positioning in two ways.

1. The horn button is placed above the indicator switch. I kept searching for both in traffic.
2. The horn button is placed to the rightmost corner, which means I had to move my hand towards the right to press it! Absolutely stupid and illogical!

Here's a pic.

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122530.jpg

To summarize,
  • Tour two-up comfortably. The muted exhaust note will be a boon for mile munchers. Decent wind protection too. However, watch out for those monstrous speed breakers. You only have a GC of 130mm.
  • Commute fairly comfortably. However, in B2B traffic, you will feel some strain on your wrists.
  • Can be a lot of fun on those weekend rides.
  • A perfect upgrade for people upgrading from the 250s and the 300s and looking for an i4.
  • Top notch quality and Honda's bullet-proof reliability!

Some other pictures I clicked on the phone and a few comments on them.

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122413.jpg

The clutch wire is left exposed! Come on Honda, you could add a rubber bellow to cover it! Your Unicorn has it!

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122907.jpg

Looks very proportionate IMO. The swing arm and the integrated underbelly exhaust look beautiful.

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122451.jpg

The rear looks very bland IMO and could have been much better. The flat tail light reminds me of the first gen HH CBZ!

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_123220.jpg

The caption, in all probability, was inspired by the exhaust note.

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_124552.jpg

The pilots are white and the headlights are yellow! Looks like an after market job half done!

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_124635.jpg

One pose picture please!

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_125116.jpg

Hmm, that price tag justified? Perhaps, yes, but debatable!

Some more random pics below!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122405.jpg  

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122427.jpg  

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122439.jpg  

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122941.jpg  

Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh-img_20150813_122950.jpg  

Added_flavor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 15:24   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Found some time today to test ride this beauty and came home a satisfied man. The showroom experience was smooth and uneventful. Just gave them a call in the morning and was asked to come in. No delays at all once I reached. In 5 minutes, I was sitting on the bike - With a pillion of course. He was wearing a helmet.
Which showroom is this Suhas?

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 13th August 2015, 16:34   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
With the description you just mentioned above felt like that of a Passion, hunk or some 150cc bike. In noway does it sound like you rode an 8+Lakh rupee bike.
+1 didn't give him the wings .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

Now, a few words on my opinion about the bike. I currently ride a CBR250R and have owned a Duke 390 in the past. Add some borrowed rides on the Ninja650.

For a 230kg bike, it feels quite nimble. It did not feel heavy or tough to manoeuvre in traffic. However, while taking standing U-turns, the handle comes uncomfortably close to the tank, but it is not a deal breaker. The test ride stretch was a straight road, so I can't comment on the corner craving ability.

Some more random pics below!
Good one review!.

Did you feel it as a bigger 250 and don't you want to buy one?

Horn's are a joke in most big bikes. I rarely use it ( accelerator helps in most cases).
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks