Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 14:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru authorities target superbikes for noise pollution

Bangalore Police has gone nuts with such rules. Just few more ways and means to extract money from people!

They must concentrate on getting the traffic right and ensuring free flow, rather than coming up with such atrocious rule. Already consumers are paying hell lot of taxes as compared to any other state, why were they silent when we register the bike. I was laughing when reading the statement that "distinctive" sounding vehicles should be fined

Who defines what is distinct, for me the sound of a mean machine is music to my ears where as noise to police cops!!
Old 19th August 2015, 15:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

What is this deal about opposing everything that transport authorities do? They are doing what they are supposed to do. CMVR rules have fixed the limit. Noise pollution is a serious issue. We have been talking about pollution norms not being enforced properly here and why do we have a problem with this?

After checking the bullets they are now checking others. Let them do their job. If stock exhausts are louder than the allowed limit, then its an issue that the authorities need to take care. Isn't that part of homologation?

Last edited by srishiva : 19th August 2015 at 15:04.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:07   #18
BHPian

While clamping down on noisy bikes is a welcome move, there should be an effort to clamp down on unnecessary honking. It is atleast as painful/irritating as loud engine noise, if not more. Not sure if there is even a law to tackle this.
Old 19th August 2015, 15:21   #19
BHPian

Being an Indian,I know I have to go through some insane laws.
Bangalore is the best part of India where, there are no potholes, no road concussions, wide roads, well mannered auto drivers and horse carts,no processions on road and the very best public transport system called BMTC exists. For all of this, credit goes to RTO in Bangalore, which will definitely enforce rules like commuters can watch broken down BMTC buses on the middle of the road,removal of sun film,paying of LTT for outstation visitors and doing all this they made the government rich.

I hope,all of you got the sarcasm.

There is no law in our country which says exactly what to do and not to do.There will be always loop holes.Loopholes in the law book,which are used by the mighty to get out of their corrupt activities,will be used to hunt down the ordinary.

Enfield Bullets are targets for some time now. They just check if the silencer is stock or not.I don't think they check the sound intensity by using a valid instrument.

Last edited by commonman : 19th August 2015 at 15:27.
Old 19th August 2015, 15:33   #20
BHPian

200dB! Seriously? 194db is the loudest sound possible. But hey this is India, anything is possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Bengaluru authorities target superbikes for noise pollution-decibels.png  

AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
What is this deal about opposing everything that transport authorities do? They are doing what they are supposed to do. CMVR rules have fixed the limit. Noise pollution is a serious issue. We have been talking about pollution norms not being enforced properly here and why do we have a problem with this?

After checking the bullets they are now checking others. Let them do their job. If stock exhausts are louder than the allowed limit, then its an issue that the authorities need to take care. Isn't that part of homologation?
I completely agree with you IF the news was about after market fitments. I am quoting a part of content from the link in post 1.

Quote:
"We will intensify the drives after the civic polls.Issuing notices to bike manufacturers is not on our agenda, because we do not have time for legal battles. We have a strong weapon called enforcement (and) that is enough,"
This clearly says, their drive is against people who own the bikes not who are selling it.
Shreeniwas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
What he told me was 80db at idling. But that again is very loose open ended. Who defines what is an idling rev for each bike! Even a splendor can make a lot of noise.
I think that is not correct, 80 db at idle would need a monster of an engine or pipe. And this is precisely the issue, there is no clarity or official confirmation on what is allowed or what is not or how it is calculated.

It is absurd to say anything above 50 db is illegal, ambient sound level besides a busy road is much higher.

And 200 db will leave you deaf! harm your eardrums, more than even a jet engine! Don't know where people get such nonsensical data from.
Old 19th August 2015, 16:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

I don't ride a superbike, neither do I have any aftermarket exhaust, but IMO this move is extremely ridiculous mainly because they want to target stock bikes also - the ones that have been approved by the government for sale.

It is clear from the goonda Joint Commissioner of Transport's statement that he knows that it is not legal to take action against people who are using stock exhausts approved by ARAI, but he wants to exploit the 'enforcement' power he has. He knows that the correct action is to follow legal process, contact ARAI and all that, but he is taking the extra-constitutional way of doing things easily - read it as making money illegally through harrassment, just like a Goonda.

They are doing what they are not supposed to do. It is not a citizen's fault to buy a bike approved by the government body. I'm sure the owners and the showrooms will visit the court soon and put a lid on this non sense.
Old 19th August 2015, 16:35   #24
BHPian

I think you need to understand this:

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com//...2026&eid=31820
Attached Thumbnails
Bengaluru authorities target superbikes for noise pollution-jaylalithalawforthepowerfulcartoonmirror13_05_2015_002_026_003.jpg  

Old 19th August 2015, 17:02   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
They are doing what they are not supposed to do. It is not a citizen's fault to buy a bike approved by the government body. I'm sure the owners and the showrooms will visit the court soon and put a lid on this non sense.
Yes this is the actual fact, if the vehicle is sold and registered under the law of the land, no one should be allowed to find loopholes.

Yes they can catch the ones that use aftermarket read loud pipes, which are illegal and mostly for track use. But penalizing an owner just because he uses a big bike and has relatively louder exhaust in comparison to a commuter bike is utter nonsense.

Wonder why this is not applicable to the super cars? They also scream like no body's business even in stock form. Is that allowed?

Am sure if it turns into harassment, somebody would indeed take them to task.
Old 19th August 2015, 17:15   #26
BHPian

Couple of weeks ago there was a similar RTO drive in Pune due to complaints from residents of the Koregoan Park area.

There was a big write up about sound pollution by superbikes and RE bikes in the TOI paper.

All this RTO checking about sound db just fizzled out.

In fact on August 15th there were many city rides by various superbike, harley and RE bike groups.

Wonder what the RTO plans next.
Old 19th August 2015, 17:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think that is not correct, 80 db at idle would need a monster of an engine or pipe. And this is precisely the issue, there is no clarity or official confirmation on what is allowed or what is not or how it is calculated.
Here it is..

https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/....3028.1998.pdf

Hope it helps.
Shreeniwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 18:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Traffic Department should be just renamed to "Extortion Department". They are doing everything possible to milk the IT crowd as much as possible.

As most of you have mentioned, they need to focus on important things like Autos overcharging and bullying out station occupants. Outstation people have to undergo harassment everyday to simply catch an auto.

Catching Auto In Mumbai:
Customer: Andheri Jaoge
Auto 1: Nahi
Auto 2: Nahi
Auto 3: Nahi
Auto 4: Chalo

Catching Auto in Bengaluru:
Customer: Indira Nagar??
Auto 1: Nahi
Auto 2: Nahi
Auto 3: Nahi
Auto 4: 80 RS (for a trip of 40 Rs)

Customer: OK

On arrival of destination,
Customer: yeh lo 100 Rs (expecting 20 Rs back)
Auto: Thank you ......Drives off!!!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 18:20   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeniwas View Post
Thank you so much! just started reading.

Quote:
8.2 For All Other Two Wheelers
8.2.1 Vehicle with Manual Gear Box

The approach speed shall be the lowest of the following:

— 50 km/h.

- speed corresponding to an engine rpm equal to 75 percent of the engine rpm at which maximum rated power is developed.

- speed corresponding to an engine rpm equal to 75 percent of the maximum engine rpm permitted by the governor
Quote:
9.2.1.3 Vehicles fitted with engines having a cylinder capacity of more than 175 cc and a gear box with five or more ratios shall be tested once in second gear and once in third gear, subject to 9.2.1.4 (see 11.2).

9.2.1.4 If during the test in second gear (see 9.2.1.1 and 9.2.1.3), the engine speed on the approach to the line marking the end of the test area (at the line Bl?’) exceeds 100 percent of the speed at which the engine develops rated maximum power, the test shall be performed in third gear (see 11.3).
Interesting now to check what RPM my bike does at 50 km/ 2nd gear That should give idea about the RPM Vs db.

Next question how will the cops derive these test conditions etc? Or will it be meter at the end of the pipe and revvvvvv!

This is how measurement needs to be done as per law of the land.

Bengaluru authorities target superbikes for noise pollution-capture.jpg
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 18:36   #30
BHPian

But who decides at what rpm the Decibel reading is taken?
I mean each bike has a different range. I don't think even the aftermarket superbike exhausts have an idling sound of over 80db at idling rpm. If you do rev it then it will obviously be loud but again even a Duke 390 or pulsar 220 is loud if you redline it.
Just another way to take the limelight off the actual issues which clearly they are unable to handle hence are finding some easy way to make money/stay occupied.
yash2424 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks