Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 18:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru authorities target superbikes for noise pollution

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
What is this deal about opposing everything that transport authorities do? They are doing what they are supposed to do. CMVR rules have fixed the limit. Noise pollution is a serious issue. We have been talking about pollution norms not being enforced properly here and why do we have a problem with this?

After checking the bullets they are now checking others. Let them do their job. If stock exhausts are louder than the allowed limit, then its an issue that the authorities need to take care. Isn't that part of homologation?
Your point is valid Shiva only if they are doing it in the interest of society or citizens. But it is not so because they don't frame rules/points properly allowing cops to milk common man.

They should first target Auto, Activa's without silencer, Trucks and Buses (Volvo one's with loud loud horn) and penalize them. They won't do it as they get max 50 or 100 bucks from these guys.

Not all bikes go through homologation AFAIK (CBU's are exempted i guess) but international law's are much more strict than the Indian one's.
Most of CMVR rules are decades old which will not hold good today. Only tax part was modified year by year and thus today you have 20%+ road tax in KA.

If i am allowed to buy a super bike officially after registering with RTO, it means the bike complies to all rules of CMV in India. I should not be stopped later and force checked exhaust note decibel (stock exhaust) just because i paid more money than normal commuter? (or i have more money)

OT: A friend of mine was recently penalized under drink and drive rule. All he did was chew a couple of Guthka packets and the machine reported high alcohol level He was forced to pay a couple of thousand even when he was requesting for a blood test. Cops said machine was showing high level and he has to pay fine or face arrest.
Old 19th August 2015, 19:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

This is how measurement needs to be done as per law of the land.

Attachment 1405266
Jaggu, the sketch of pass by noise test that you have posted, is it for cars or bikes ? Is it the same for both ?

Spike
Old 19th August 2015, 21:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Bangalore Traffic Department should be just renamed to "Extortion Department". They are doing everything possible to milk the IT crowd as much as possible.

As most of you have mentioned, they need to focus on important things like Autos overcharging and bullying out station occupants. Outstation people have to undergo harassment everyday to simply catch an auto.

!
It is innapropriate to genaralise and term Bangalore Police as extortionists , I have known many cases wherein the cops have helped the outstation crowd in many ways, yes there are a few rotten eggs but our system is to blame for that. The cops as I see everyday in my 55 kms commute is that they are helpless in tacking most the situations because the city is bursting at its seams due to the number of people it currently supports which it was never meant to and due to the severely understaffed police department. I also belive that its every persons responsibility to report instances of auto drivers overcharging as only our small actions will one day lead to a better future for our kids if not for us. And for the many people who compare our system with those of the western world should also observe that in those countries the common man is as concerned in the running of his country as running his family , they firmly belive that their tax money matters and that their country is theirs to protect , whereas we have a very lax attitude to the ongoings of our country , only when we awaken to atrocities and firmly stand for what we belive will the government listen to us .
Thebat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 22:51   #34
BHPian

Re: Loud Pipes face the Axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Your are right about the stock exhaust, but hardly anyone retains stock exhaust in order to amplify the "music" that you so love!

In addition, the music will not be so pleasurable if you were at your home very late at night, exhausted, and sick.
Hmm my point is as mentioned earlier in my post, if a vehicle is road legal, it must have passed ALL regulations including the sound barrier. A track only vehicle wont have mirrors or headlights, etc. In stock condition, no vehicle must be fined for such absurd reasons.
pratap.pratu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 09:54   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jaggu, the sketch of pass by noise test that you have posted, is it for cars or bikes ? Is it the same for both ?

Spike
It says for all vehicles the equipment placement would be same. Only the method, as in what gear, rpm and speed changes for various categories. What i had posted was the ones that would refer to a 179+ cc geared two wheeler.
Old 20th August 2015, 11:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap.pratu View Post
Hmm my point is as mentioned earlier in my post, if a vehicle is road legal, it must have passed ALL regulations including the sound barrier. A track only vehicle wont have mirrors or headlights, etc. In stock condition, no vehicle must be fined for such absurd reasons.
I think the regulations themselves have some issue.
Otherwise, how does one explain the presence of noisy trucks and tractors and and apes on the road?
I am talking about brand new ones.

The regulation, I am sure, talks only about certain decibels at certain idling RPM.
The racket is created when these guys raise their RPM.

It is almost the same thing with superbikes on stock exhausts.
Old 20th August 2015, 11:48   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

The regulation, I am sure, talks only about certain decibels at certain idling RPM.
The racket is created when these guys raise their RPM.

It is almost the same thing with superbikes on stock exhausts.
No, infact the document shared in the earlier post points to only pass by tests, that varies from vehicle to vehicle and categories of vehicle. No idle sound test is mentioned at all.
Old 20th August 2015, 12:07   #38
BHPian

In my opinion super bikes are not the only reason for noise pollution in Bangalore. I see many guys revving the old RX 100 and making loud noise. Many vans and private buses use air horns and use them continuously both at day and night. Bangalore police should nab all these guys and not focus only the so called super bikes.
Old 20th August 2015, 12:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Ah, just another wonderful way of getting harassed in Bangalore.

Any such check which is done by the Police / RTO is almost always targeted at the vulnerable / easy targets only.

The out-of-state vehicle tax-raids target the IT crowd, where as, permanent residents of Bangalore with their 1cr plus rupee super / luxury cars still run on PY registration paying 75000/- LTT. RTO folks can't touch them.

2 stroke autorickshaws run on some lethal combination of kerosene and God knows what else, fog the entire city, go at 20kph on the fastest line with zero silencing of their exhausts. Same goes for trucks. No lights, all smoke, dangerous driving.

Idiots without helmets do stunts on motorcycles on Hosur Road every single day in broad daylight. Will they get caught? No. Instead, the office-goer with a Bullet / 2 stroke / Superbike will get caught and penalized after an absolutely brainless way of checking the Noise level. dB meter at the tip of the exhaust in the noise of Bangalore traffic mayhem. Really?!

If a bike came from the factory with an exhaust and still retains it in working order, it meets this nation's laws. Simple. Mr. Cop, why don't you just do your job and catch the actual offenders?

Or is this a new target given by the State Government to fill their coffers? May be they are running out of funds to build speed-breakers.
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:11   #40
BHPian

I hardly come across 1 true super-bike a week in Mumbai suburbs. So I don't mind them much yet. What I do mind, however, is some wannabe punk modifying his RE to produce an extremely irritating and continuously loud cracking exhaust note.
It's nothing like the soft thump of the original RE exhaust. Sounds more like the devil's offspring passing wind and instead of the aforementioned pseudo-tough-guy appearing macho, it makes him look like a attention hungry pansy.
sonic_boom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 14:05   #41
BHPian

The intention behind the exercise is commendable. Whether the execution is fair remains to be seen.

The good things first. Wrote to the road Transport Department and got a response in a day regarding the rules .

Quote:
J.C.T.(Env. & e-Governance) via nic.in
to me

Hi xxxx.

Thank you for your eagerness to know the provisions.
Pl refer Rule 120 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, wherein noise standards are prescribed under Part -E of the schedule VI to the Environment( Protection) Rules. 1986. Therein 2Wheeler-80db, 2Wheeler diesel driven and 3Wheelers -82db, Passanger LCV up to 4000kg wt-85db, Passanger CV wt above 4000kg to 12000kgs-89db and Passenger or CV above 12000kgs- 91db.
For details refer the Rule available on MoRTH website.

---------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

Having heard about the drive against noise pollution on Bikes in Bangalore, I would like to know what are the permissible limits of Vehicular Noise and at what engine speeds.

Can your office let me know where this information can be found or alternatively provide detailed rules please.

Many thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Bengaluru authorities target superbikes for noise pollution-noise_standards.jpg  

kaushikr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 15:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
The intention behind the exercise is commendable. Whether the execution is fair remains to be seen.

The good things first. Wrote to the road Transport Department and got a response in a day regarding the rules .
Great, this helps.
So its measured from a distance and not from near the source.
Old 20th August 2015, 15:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
The good things first. Wrote to the road Transport Department and got a .

That's good work that you have done Sir. To the benefit of all others can you please post the link or if there is a PDF share it on the forum for everybody's reference?
Old 20th August 2015, 15:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
That's good work that you have done Sir. To the benefit of all others can you please post the link or if there is a PDF share it on the forum for everybody's reference?
I got the link from Google, after searching for Environment( Protection) Rules. 1986.

http://jkforest.gov.in/act/Environme...tion_Rules.pdf

The CMVR Document accessed by me was

http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Bengaluru authorities target superbikes for noise pollution-cmvr_120.jpg  

Last edited by kaushikr : 20th August 2015 at 15:54.
kaushikr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 12:57   #45
BHPian

Guys, any idea how much a 3 cylinder engine (such as striple or dayatona) and a 4 cylinder bike engine with stock exhausts makes in decibels ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks