Team-BHP - Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/167736-kawasaki-versys-650-coming-india-8.html)

During my last service for my Ninja 650 few days back, I got information that KTM service team will have their training for Versys 650 starting this week. So post the training completion, I believe the bike shall be launched in India.

Definitely good news for probable buyers clap:

@red liner : I be heard about damages from being dropped too, but it's mostly plastics. No reports of the silencer being totalled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet-thrust (Post 3859464)
@red liner : I be heard about damages from being dropped too, but it's mostly plastics. No reports of the silencer being totalled.

The silencer can get totalled if u ride over rocks. Just an incident waiting to happen if you off road.

Am slowly weaning off the versys now.

Quote:

During my last service for my Ninja 650 few days back, I got information that KTM service team will have their training for Versys 650 starting this week. So post the training completion, I believe the bike shall be launched in India.
December is most probable launch, and from service training schedules etc, looks like we are on track. :)
Quote:

The silencer can get totalled if u ride over rocks. Just an incident waiting to happen if you off road.

Am slowly weaning off the versys now.
V650 is not an outright off-roading bike. Neither does it claim so. Am sure it could be a capable tourer with decent power, comfort, wind protection, luggage capacity, tank range, etc, especially on our roads which varies from good highways to broken village/country roads. GC looks decent enough to handle most of what our road conditions would throw, except a few extreme terrains like around leh-ladakh. It would be a good upgrade option for people who roam the country on bullets.

As it is with all bikes, one could always make some mods to suit personal requirements. changing to knobbies and after market exhaust + sump goard would increase its off roading abilities, however one would require good skills and strength to maneuver a 210+kg bike on those terrains.

What other options do we have? Except for the benalli GT600 which is heavier and without ABS, hardly any in this price bracket. RE Himalayan looks promising, but having gone through ownership of a machismo and C5, i am not too sure.
I still feel the V650 would be a good all round option for indian conditions. Lets test it and hope it tugs at heart like the 390 when tested for the first time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nasirkaka (Post 3859967)
V650 is not an outright off-roading bike. Neither does it claim so. Am sure it could be a capable tourer with decent power, comfort, wind protection, luggage capacity, tank range, etc, especially on our roads which varies from good highways to broken village/country roads. GC looks decent enough to handle most of what our road conditions would throw, except a few extreme terrains like around leh-ladakh.

Very aptly put mate, I am glad you understand the purpose and limitations of this class of motorcycles the Kawasaki Verys 650 belongs to. It is a hybrid between an adventure tourer and a sport tourer. Like a dual purpose motorcycle which gives the riders little bit of both thereby being versatile.
Quote:

However one would require good skills and strength to maneuver a 210+kg bike on those terrains.
Mate once you get used to riding the motorcycle I am sure all that weight will just disappear and you will start enjoying the motorcycle. It is like building a relationship with the motorcycle where both of you know each others limitations (I don't have to emphasize on this as you have rode RE motorcycles before). Also with regards to manhandling a fallen motorcycle which is considered heavy being a herculean task is just a myth like an old wives' tale. There are proper techniques to lift up a fallen motorcycle by using brain rather than brawn. I have done it effortlessly and have succeeded too.

I hope your long awaited dream comes true with the Kawasaki Versys 650. :thumbs up

The breed of 'Adventure Sport Tourers', which means stay more on tarmac but you can also do the occasional non paved section (as well as the horribly pot-holed sections!) carefully but more comfortably than a regular sport bike, is what is needed in India for the touring crowd.

After the Versys1000, the 650 offering from Kawi is most welcome in India with a slightly smaller power unit, lighter body and most importantly a relatively more affordable price! This is probably the only bike serious touring enthusiasts will ever need for our Indian road conditions even if you are going to do 2-up riding with luggage etc. Surely, it is not an enduro bike that you flog on dirt trails, although it can take some reasonable beating on the Leh circuit etc which is the ultimate destination of our hardcore tourers. Knowing Kawasaki, they wouldn't cut corners on the quality of fit & finish. Besides, this 650 engine is a tried & tested (and further refined) unit that has proved to be rock solid, so buying the 'first lot' of bikes in India also should not be a problem. And if you compare this to the other Indian offering, the Benelli 600GT, its miles ahead in most departments, while with the Triumph 800 this should have a substantial price advantage and ofcourse Japanese simplicity & reliability.

So if Kawi India price this product right and also offer ABS, which is a must for touring bikes as these, the 650 has a very good potential in the Indian market for touring crowd, tour companies, week-end B-road explorers etc. I just pray that more Indian bikers somehow shed that 'sport-dhoom-fully fared-bike' obsession or the 'heritage-classic-character bike' obsession and think a little beyond for a more comfortable, easier manuevering & reliable touring bike.

Here is a recent review of the top-end 650LT version

http://ridermagazine.wpengine.com/ro...road-test.htm/

Thanks Kawasaki-India for deciding to bring it, but please price it well

Pricing matters.
Here's my take on it.
Despite a lot of sites predicting the price to be in the 6 lakh range, I think it'll be more.

My prediction (Guesstimate, rather) is based on the comparative prices.
The Versys 1000LT retails in the U.S. for around $13,000
Whereas, in India its in the region of ₹13 Lakhs.
The 650 ABS is for $8,000 hence in India around 8 Lakhs.
The 650 LT is for $8,900 so in India for around 9 Lakhs.

Auto mags and websites are known to guess a lesser price before too. Don't know why though.

8 big ones??!!!

Am waiting for the new KTM twins. In the meantime a duke 390 with a couple of adventure mods should be a nice filler ride.

After all the earlier bravado, I commit this harakiri by saying that KTM is a motorbike I will not be afraid to thrash. And that is very important for an adventure tourer in this country. Not speaking for the dual sports that the versys is. Sorry I had to realign my priorities after spending a few quiet afternoons visualizing my riding routes.

For me one very key factor in favour of the Versys in addition to the price is the seat height. Most adventure bikes have very high seat heights and may not suit many Indians including me. You still can manage a sports bike with higher seat height. But a heavy adventure tourer on the type of terrain where they are meant for with not being able to confidently plant your feet on ground does sound intimating to me.

Rachit

Very rightly put in words by Haroon. Versys 650 is a mile muncher and with the dimensions the motorcycle has it would be worth every penny. With around 50 bhp and 21litre Tank I think this should be easy to pull up 2 + luggage afor around 350 to 400kms. Also the 650 engine is tried and tested so their should not be any problem in the servicing and maintenance. The only thing is 215kg kerb weight but we Indians are good at syncing with our machines whatever it is, so I am sure once the rider has ridden at places it would be a good machine. As it is Kawasaki has been here in India for quite sometime now to provide good support. Keeping fingers crossed for the launch price to be around 6.5lacs

Quote:

My prediction (Guesstimate, rather) is based on the comparative prices.
The Versys 1000LT retails in the U.S. for around $13,000
Whereas, in India its in the region of ₹13 Lakhs.
The 650 ABS is for $8,000 hence in India around 8 Lakhs.
The 650 LT is for $8,900 so in India for around 9 Lakhs.
Pricing is key. If around 9, then tiger 800 Xr base version would definitely come in pic. Also the Ducati HyperStrada at around 95 bhp and 11 lakhs, and with goodies such as traction control etc would be very tempting.
Dont think we will get LT as stock anyways. For the 650 ABS, anything above 7.5 L OTR may see some considering other offerings or wait a while for the KTM 690/twins. Bajaj/kawasaki are known to price their products aptly, and hope the same this time too.
Quote:

Am waiting for the new KTM twins. In the meantime a duke 390 with a couple of adventure mods should be a nice filler ride.
Had seen a 390 heavily modded for off-roading with new shocks etc, at indimotard. Definitely a good option to go off-road without much worry, given its price and spares cost.
Quote:

Very rightly put in words by Haroon. Versys 650 is a mile muncher and with the dimensions the motorcycle has it would be worth every penny. With around 50 bhp and 21litre Tank I think this should be easy to pull up 2 + luggage afor around 350 to 400kms.
Although not very compact and light, the reviews indicate versys feels light and and nimble and handles very well. I remember checking the Benalli GT600 and its HUGE. Almost as big as the BMW GS1200. Seat height is definitely a concern for us Indians, may have to procure a lowering kit, and also a good guard/sliders for those occasional drops. All in all, i am game for it provided they do not price it very high, where one gets confused. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet-thrust (Post 3861981)
Despite a lot of sites predicting the price to be in the 6 lakh range, I think it'll be more..... The 650 ABS is for $8,000 hence in India around 8 Lakhs.

Here's why they are expecting 6 Lakhs. Versys 1000 is a CBU, hence the higher pricing. Versys 650 on the other hand is a CKD, hence will benefit from lesser taxes.

To put it in perspective I have attached the pricing of other two 650 offerings, which will make it clear why 6 lakh ex showroom makes sense.
I am talking from Bangalore perspective.

Quote:

Here's why they are expecting 6 Lakhs. Versys 1000 is a CBU, hence the higher pricing. Versys 650 on the other hand is a CKD, hence will benefit from lesser taxes.
Makes sense. Also indo-thai import export treaty may help if they are importing from Thailand. Hope its around 6L mark for a successful beginning.

OK.. We are on the 7th of December today. Now bring them out soon, will you... Enough of waiting...

The newly updated Kawasaki website does not feature Versys 650. There should have atleast been a coming soon section for the V650.
Either Kawasaki are very secretive about the launch or they do not have any plans to launch it before the auto expo 2016.

Heard from a friend that assembly of versys 650 is already started in Pune. So looks like late december or early jan launch. Wishing there is not much waiting period after the launch. also hoping they dont push the launch to auto expo.