Team-BHP - Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/167736-kawasaki-versys-650-coming-india.html)

Hi Folks,

I read about the probable launch of the Kawasaki Versys 650 back in April 2015.
Has anyone of you got any dope on when they plan on actually bringing it in?

I've got my heart set on the Scrambler Ducati, and though I know they are different bikes, I am really keen to try the Versys out before I book the Scrambler!!
The only thing thats keeping me from booking the Ducati is the fact that its a relatively low seating bike, which might be an issue on long tours, although, its a super kick ass bike for city riding.
Test rode it twice, and felt like I'd been riding it for years.
Anyway, back to the question.. any dope on the Versys 650 fellow bikers?
Cheers!

Fellow Kawa owners seem to be of the opinion that the Versys 650 will be launched before the end of this year, or that's what a high-ranking Kawa official announced at their latest G2G.

I think although price-wise they might be a bit similar, the Versys and the Scrambler are rather different machines. The Scrambler feels more inclined towards the all-rounder, a guy who does a lot of city, and highways too. The Versys on the other hand feels very touring-focused. Weight would be the biggest deciding factor.

The biggest problem I see with the Scrambler is luggage. There are almost no anchor points to load anything on that back seat! Long distance touring might become a problem because of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiderZone (Post 3792770)
The biggest problem I see with the Scrambler is luggage. There are almost no anchor points to load anything on that back seat!

Check out the 3rd Party Accessories they have loads of stuff that should help you lug the luggage around efficiently.

Do check out the Ducati thread in our forum itself. :thumbs up

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3753941

It's all hard luggage! I'm talking about something like a ViaTerra Claw, which I always thought is a universal system. I can't think of any mounting points for it, except the one on the tail. Not only will this be a problem in the monetary sense, a casual tourer may not want to spend the time fixing up the hardware to carry those boxes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiderZone (Post 3794528)
It's all hard luggage! I'm talking about something like a ViaTerra Claw, which I always thought is a universal system.

Suppose then Amit can respond to that query on the mounting points. But looking at the frame I think it should not be too much of a problem mate.

Anyways lets not discuss this here as we are heading out of topic:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiderZone (Post 3794528)
It's all hard luggage! I'm talking about something like a ViaTerra Claw, which I always thought is a universal system. I can't think of any mounting points for it, except the one on the tail. Not only will this be a problem in the monetary sense, a casual tourer may not want to spend the time fixing up the hardware to carry those boxes.

Aside from the luggage issues, I don't think the riding posture of the Scrambler will make for a very good long distance tourer.

Still no concrete news of the versys 650. The last news was of them importing for ARAI approvals.

I personally feel this all rounder product is the need of the hour for Kawasaki to bring back the customer who may have strayed towards the Ducati Scrambler or the Benelli 600 GT.

If priced appropriately (which Bajaj has always managed), could be a real blockbuster.

I hear that the booking will start next month. On road price in Bangalore is expected at "slightly more than 7 Lakhs". Apparently, there will not be ABS even as an option.

Same here. waiting for a while for some concrete news on the V650 launch.
I am not much worried about pricing as they (bajaj/kawa) usually get it right.
I am hoping versys is launched with optional hard luggage, aux lights and knuckle guard. Also, there is news on the net that india bound v650 may not have ABS. i am really hoping thats not true as it would be a major upset, at least for me.

Also, the ducati Bangalore showroom will open in October. Am more inclined towards v650 than scrambler but if the versys launch is not definitive, then may lean towards scrambler.

Most of the folks considering versys 650 would also have definitely considered ducati scrambler, bonnie and benalli gt 650. while we wait on these bikes, we could start with sharing our thoughts/expectations and preferences on these machines.

personally, i love bonnie but was more inclined towards the scrambler mainly for the brand, better equipment such as usd+mono, ABS as an important factor, better power and much lesser weight. but again, bonnie may be more apt for touring with respect to ergonomics, and may have better options to mount luggage, wind shield etc.
personally, i also feel that ducati scrambler is going to be very similar to ktm 390, but obviously on much higher ducati level. If i already have a 390, having a scrambler would not give my versatility, esp if am looking for something more oriented towards touring.
Thats where the V650 fits in. It may not have the charm of a classic like the bonnie, or the oomph factor of a ducati, but it would be a capable and comfortable tourer which could also be used for city rides. factors such as comparatively low maintenance cost, more no of service centers, better network for spares etc would also add up.

I can't wait for the Versys 650 launch. I hope it will be priced below the Ninja 650... It will be the most ideal upgrade for many. The Bangalore Kawa showroom has a V1000 on display right? I was contemplating on the Benelli GT600, but I'm not sure where in India will i be able to reach 11K RPM to enjoy the power! V650 is most ideal. Any further news on the launch or pricing?

Launching in Diwali.
Thats the best news I have heard. Its the same 650 engine, EXCEPT THAT you can now jump foot paths, climb stairs, stand up over rumblers, jump over speedbreakers and drive regardless of surface potholes. Do Srinagar- Leh in one day, Leh- Manali the next...

I wonder if that thats a very good thing- because most forget, with power comes responsibility.

"The Versys 650 is slated for a Diwali launch"

This is all the Kawasaki Showroom guys know in Bangalore. They are clueless about the pricing , tech specs etc . It will be most probably be more expensive than the ninja 650.Also no ABS for the Versys as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil (Post 3819154)
Launching in Diwali.
Thats the best news I have heard. Its the same 650 engine, EXCEPT THAT you can now jump foot paths, climb stairs, stand up over rumblers, jump over speedbreakers and drive regardless of surface potholes. Do Srinagar- Leh in one day, Leh- Manali the next...

I wonder if that thats a very good thing- because most forget, with power comes responsibility.

Absolutely! The V650, is not just a 'fast bike' to zip around vary city folks... For me, it's ideal to travel with my wife one up pillion with enough power on tap. I would put my money on Japanese engineering than the Italians or the Chinese. I would like to cover kms faster. currently I putter around 90-100 kmph on my RE C5. No complaints whatsoever because my bike has taken us both across the length & breadth of this beautiful country, that being said, we want to cover distance faster. We want to be able to ride to Goa from Bangalore without 10 hrs of Saddle sore for the pillion :ZZZ: We want to carry enough luggage and tour the country, and may be even cross borders...

How much do you guys think this bike will be priced at? More than the Ninja 650?

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 3820816)
How much do you guys think this bike will be priced at? More than the Ninja 650?

Should be. Since you are getting essentially the exact same N650 with a beefier and longer travelling suspension.