Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2017, 02:19   #166
BHPian

re: A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12

Really enjoyed the main post. I'm a big Honda fan, and would probably never choose another Japanese model over Hondas. The build quality of Honda is usually in a class of its own. Pretty much 50%+ of guys who are hardcore every day commuting or courier riding on big bikes in the UK chose them. Your CBF looks great, ace colours.

Last edited by Rob UK : 12th November 2017 at 02:23.
Old 15th November 2017, 19:00   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
Really enjoyed the main post. I'm a big Honda fan, and would probably never choose another Japanese model over Hondas. The build quality of Honda is usually in a class of its own. Pretty much 50%+ of guys who are hardcore every day commuting or courier riding on big bikes in the UK chose them. Your CBF looks great, ace colours.
Thank you very much Rob for your kind words. Before I bought the CBR, I was not a Honda fanboy. I was more of a Yamaha guy. Before I bought this bike, I had started recognizing the respect fireblade would get from all corners, even after 4-5 years of launch. My interactions with Honda and experience till now has made me a Honda fan. I also started paying more attention to media related to Honda and everywhere Honda gets very positive feedback on build quality and reliability. My ownership experience has been on the same lines too, so far. Keeping fingers crossed. Sometime when you praise a thing too much, it goes Kaput. Happened with my Apple products. Hoping it does not happen with the Honda.

CHEERS!!

Rachit.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 00:48   #168
BHPian

@Mods: Kindly change the title of the thread to:
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on PG-12

First of all I would like to sincerely apologise for not being able to post updates on the thread. For the last 6 months, I have thought about posting the updates every weekend, but for one reason or the other I couldn't. I guess, I have become lazy.

I have three main updates, which I will split into individual sections.

The 1st update is the tyre change.
So during our trip to lansdowne, we noticed a cut on the tyre. There was a small chunk that came out. Although it was not loosing air much and as an immediate fix, we put in some quick fix with sand which sealed it, however it was deemed unsafe. It still had about a 1000 KM of life left but I decided to get it changed. I clocked 12500 KMs on tyre which is slightly on the lower side from what I have heard from others. Also during its last stages, it had started to move around a bit, reducing my confidence on corners. Overall pretty satisfied with the stock tyre. It was nothing special, but it was not bad either and it mostly always delivered on whatever I could throw at it.
So the choice was between either Metzeler M7 or Pirelli Angel GT. My friend was using the Pirelli on his Ninja 650 and had a very positive feedback and the availability of the M7 was a challenge. Although my first preference was the M7, but had to get the Pirellis as I couldn’t find any M7s in NCR. I am not sure why but I have a soft spot for the Metzelers. I mean the name in itself is so cool.

So Switched over to Pirelli Angel GT and the overall feedback has been great. Its a definite improvement over the stock tyre in terms of dry grip. I have clocked around 2500 KMs so far on them and I have really liked them.

The 2nd update is the 4th service.
Although the bike had probably clocked around 3K KMs after the third service, but I got a call from Honda for the service being due. They recommend I get it done for warranty purposes, so I decided to get the service done. Even though the Engine Oil and the Air filter were not required to be changed, but I still requested them to change both. This was also the first paid service of the bike as such. Overall the service experience was excellent as always. Plus this time when the bike came back from service, for some reason it felt much peppier for a month or so.

The servicing costs remain a positive surprise. Nothing to complain about here. The overall after sales experience with Honda has been so positive that I think they have won me as a loyal customer. I would have to seriously think many times when I get an opportunity to upgrade, to even consider any Non Honda bike.

I did get a couple of accessories also fitted to the bike after the service. The first being the rear sets. I am a short guy and I always felt that I could never hold the CBRs tank with my knees properly while cornering. All the rear sets I saw, were very expensive. I even thought of getting a bracket made and then moving the stock foot pegs up a bit. This topic kept on going in my mind for 3-4 months when while casual browsing I saw a set on Aliexpress. It had a couple of positive reviews from US Customers. Overall cost was $100 including shipping. I took the risk and ordered them. They turned out to be okay. I wouldn’t say they are very good, but they are completely acceptable for the price. No installation instructions were a pain though. After installing them I can confidently say that for my height, the CBR feels more sporty now. I can grip the tank better and these helped on the track a lot.

I have always liked the Tecspec tank pads too. So when I got the rear sets, I got the tank pads to accompany them too. Both helped on the track.

Now for the big one. The BIC Track day.
Ever since I got to know about BIC being constructed, I only had 1 dream, to ride my bike on the track. Even though I was pretty deep in F1 at that time and I was excited about F1, but the real dream was to ride on a track. My desire to watch F1 was fulfilled by a contest by Overdrive in which I won a grand stand ticket. Watching F1 on BIC was special. The track felt special and the overall event felt like an International Standard event.
I kept dreaming and hoping for a track day. I bought some gear too like Full riding shoes, Full gauntlet gloves etc. However 1 key piece I couldn’t buy which always kept me away from the track was racing suit. I just could not spare the cost of a racing suit.
Last Year while speaking to friends I asked them that this year we have to do it. All the news of Jaypee going defunct were also not helping with the future of this track. This track day would also have gone by like every time I had told myself “Maybe Next Time”. But somehow it struck me that this way, I would never be able to. I spoke to a couple of close friends as I wanted to do it with my friends and received a positive answer. Thankfully a friend had a race suit which fit me and it saved the cost of renting one. It finally materialised and it was a very special feeling and I was fully excited.

Overall if I can say it one sentence, the wait of all these years was worth it. The experience of riding on an International level track with friends among JK series race winners was truly special. It was so special that for 2 days, I just could not resist and wanted to go back. I have decided to save a bit more and try to become a bit more regular at track days.

So the day started with we reaching the track, going through scrutiny and then soaking in the atmosphere in the pits. There were special bikes there and I was surprised to see the number of people with full slicks, tyre warmers, Dainese Race suits. At first it felt intimidating but being with friends helped. Also people there were mostly helpful especially Simran and Gurvinder ji. We got the see the 1299 Superlegera too and boy what a bike. We had 4 session of 20 mins each. Initially we were a bit worried about our fitness levels and being able to wear race suits the whole day. Overall smaller sessions helped and I would say and we were not tired by the end of 4 sessions.

The first session started and initially we were a bit anxious with fast riders coming from behind etc. In the briefing we were told to not look back unless slowing down for a reason and keep taking our lines. The faster riders will go around us on their own. But still the first 2 laps were a bit anxious. Thankfully I was familiar with the track layout as I had played this track on the F1 game a lot. Although the bikes layout is slightly different, but I had seen a couple of videos on the previous day and it helped. As much as I thought to myself that this was not about lap times and it was just to learn, it all went in 2 laps. 3rd lap onwards I was going for it. While riding, I saw Red Flags and thought somebody crashed, but later realised that 1st session was over. It literally flew and I didn’t realise. We came to pits and saw our times and I had clocked a 2.47.

In the 2nd session, I improved a bit and was getting better at lines in few corners. I was amazed the grip Pirellis offered even being sport touring tyres. I felt good at slower technical sections and felt my lines and speed through corners were good. However I was not happy at corners that required hard braking like 1, 4, 15 and 16. I was not able to judge the braking distance properly.

I follow Moto GP and other forms of motorcycle racing. Motorcycle racing is very dear to me. I have watched/read a lot of content on internet and over the years have tried to practice a few things on the roads as much as you can on public roads. I felt I know the basics and had to just implement them. However, in my greed to further reduce my lap times, I actually started riding too aggressively on corners with hard braking. I was braking too late and was reaching corners with my front loaded because of brakes and was taking corners in a not so smooth manner. The slower sections, I was still good. My mistakes, I realised when I got to see an onboard lap by Simran and I realised I was braking later on CBR than him on his race prepped R1. Well, a lesson for next time. By the third session I had become pretty aggressive with the bike for the initial 4-5 laps and I felt I didn’t go faster and then sort of brought it down a notch. My fastest lap time came at this point when I had brought it down a notch. I clocked a 2.34.1 lap. In the fourth session I repeated the same mistakes and went again very hard on brakes and the fastest I clocked was 2.34.8.

I am glad that I got see that onboard lap by Simran now and I can see where I made mistakes. This is a positive sign and something to look forward to in the next track day. I am also happy that me and my friends all had an excellent day and everybody came out safe even though for all of us except 1, it was the first track experience. The overall experience was special and I have committed to myself to become a bit more regular.

The CBR performed very well. I cannot say that for a first times, person with my skill level, I could draw any flaws in the bike. It felt safe, smooth and stable. Even when I went a bit too far being aggressive on brakes and trying to corner, it still was unfazed. The ABS was going bonkers front and rear but it still brought me home safe. On the winding faster corners, the CBR was very stable and confidence inspiring. I am quite happy with the way it performed on the track in stock condition. A few upgrades and that should make it even better. The only grouse I have with the bike is gear box. It is either me or my bike only because I have not read it in any reviews or have heard it from other users, but for some reason I just cannot get a hang of the timing of the clutch and gear change on my bike. Even after riding it for 15K KMs. I have not had this issue in any other bike but only mine. God knows what is wrong and this issue took some concentration away from me on the track as well. Because I was going so aggressive, I actually feared I will break the gear box of the bike. However, so far so good. I do plan to get a quick shifter for this very reason some day.

Now for some pics:
The Old Tyre
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-tyre1.jpg

Tyre getting changed
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-tyre3.jpg

New Rubber
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-tyre2.jpg

A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-tyre4.jpg

A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-tyre5.jpg

Bike Getting Serviced
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-service1.jpg

The Bill
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-bill1.jpg

A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-bill2.jpg

Rear Sets
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-acc1.jpg

A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-acc2.jpg

Tank Grips
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-acc3.jpg

Me ready in the suit.
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-track1.jpg

While entering pits after session 1
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-track2.jpg

A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-track3.jpg

Slowing down after the session was over
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-track4.jpg

I think turn 2
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-track5.jpg

The whole group
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-track6.jpg

Random Weekend Ride Pictures
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride1.jpg

On a rainy day with Nuda 900R
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride2.jpg

On Gurgaon Faridabad road
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride3.jpg

A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride32.jpg

A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride4.jpg

Morning gathering spot
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride5.jpg

A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride6.jpg

Around Khan Market somewhere
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride7.jpg

Touching 14K KMs
A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12-ride9.jpg

Thank you
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 00:38   #169
BHPian

Re: A dream come true - My Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Track Day at BIC on page 12

After installing the Akra, did you see any improvement in the ground clearance?
Old 12th November 2018, 20:51   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
After installing the Akra, did you see any improvement in the ground clearance?
Hi Kailash,

My due apologies for replying late, but I don't think there is any significant advantage or disadvantage in terms of ground clearance with the Akra. Nearly the same, I would say.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 12:48   #171
BHPian

Since there is no dedicated thread for CBR 650F, I'd ask my query here.
I have recently picked a 2016 CBR 650F from a fellow BHPian. The bike was having some problem with its front brakes. Front brake works perfectly with strong bite 99% of the times. However when i go over bumps/irregular road surface. Front brake looses all the pressure, becomes clutch like (can be pulled all the way to the handle bar grip) with very little bite. I have to pump it 6-7 times for it to slowly build pressure again before working perfectly fine again.

What could be the reason? ASC has placed an order for new master cylinder kit. Wanted to know if thats the reason behind this problem or should i check something else?
Old 20th August 2019, 13:00   #172
Senior - BHPian

Get a complete brake bleed done before anything else and check if your lines are getting tangled around something.

Last edited by bigron : 20th August 2019 at 13:02.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 14:19   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post

What could be the reason? ASC has placed an order for new master cylinder kit. Wanted to know if thats the reason behind this problem or should i check something else?
Apart from the MC kit, I'd suggest bleeding brake lines as well as getting the brake assy pistons overhauled.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 09:49   #174
BHPian

Update: I bled the brakes myself, Same problem.
Got the master cylinder changed (costs 3500/-) and bled the brake lines again (done by local mechanic who deals with superbikes), still same issue.
Visited Honda ASC and the mechanic bled the lines himself. Voila!, issue is solved.

Seems like master cylinder change wasn't required. Updating here as it may help someone dealing with same problem. Thanks @Divya Sharan and @bigron for your suggestion.

@Rachit.K.Dogra : I am also thinking about installing fender eliminator. But worried about how it will perform in rain/wet roads. Have you faced any problem with mud and water being thrown onto pillion seat/pillion rider's back during rains or when riding over wet roads?
hgps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:52   #175
Senior - BHPian

if you go fender eliminator way invest in a splash guard like this

https://imotorbike.my/en/ad/storm-sp...0f-twin-arm755
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 13:41   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post

@Rachit.K.Dogra : I am also thinking about installing fender eliminator. But worried about how it will perform in rain/wet roads. Have you faced any problem with mud and water being thrown onto pillion seat/pillion rider's back during rains or when riding over wet roads?

Taking the liberty to reply on behalf of Rachit. We ride together every weekend and his rear seat and jacket is always a mess after a ride in the rains.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed